It's an "artificial life" simulation software

>it's an "artificial life" simulation software
>no speedup button
>it's written in java

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/2163411/is-java-really-slow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>java is bad meme
I love people who have never actually done any work in the industry and just spew dumb Sup Forums maymays all day.

Java is bundleware. That's all you need to know before deciding it's bad.

>he thinks java is worse because some idiots on Sup Forums said so
What an idiot.

Give me 3 reasons why Java is bad.

He can't. He's too busy finding new memes to spout across Sup Forums.

You should not care if Java is bad or not. Because it's a fucking easy language and when you are tasked to do shit in Java you can do it without thinking too much.

Srsly get a fucking life guys.

this 2bh
It just werks - the language

but it's so slow
>yfw 8fps

stackoverflow.com/questions/2163411/is-java-really-slow

This...

Java is a great language for building applications, especially large scale projects and software suites.

The only time I really disagree with it being used is for web applications because I personally believe PHP (security aside) is better for development, and for small applications that I can throw together in python or go.

A standard programmer of CS course caliber will be fine with Java but make a mess in C when it comes to memory management too, you have to keep that in mind in this day and age.

> however, Java can be more than 10x as fast as PHP, Ruby, Python, etc.
Compiled language running in virtual machine has the potential to be faster than parsed language. My keks have reached the top floor

Java has its flaws. And it's fine to not care for it for it's verbosity or its rather strict enforcement of an OOP style. But it's not terrible. It's pretty good at being the language its meant to be.

That said, it's certainly true that a lot of bad programmers write a lot of bad code in Java, and if you're a Java programmer, you'll probably wind up dealing with it.

Yeah exactly, just use C++14/17 and you get most of the java "features" in a faster and better language

Php is a BITCH to debug tho

>C++
Java is already too big and complicated of a language, and C++ is an order of magnitude more complicated than Java.

1. Getters/Setters being the core of the language ("muh OOP"), yet you have no way to simplify it, like in other languages

2. Tons of bad legacy contructs because of legacy code. Basically you have 3 or 4 differnt way of doing most things.

3. Basic Java is terribly ugly, terefore everything is covered by three coats of syntactic suger. Too bad the syntactic sugar is also ugly.

4. Stupid "native data types" that behavetotally differnt from "objects"; i.e. if you have a map that has Intege-Keys, you get differnt values if you do "get((int) i)" and "get((Integer) i)", because nr 1. gives you the i-th element, the latter gives you the vaue to the key "i".

5. Literally no goodies, in C# you have LINQ, in C++ you have templates.. in Java you have nothing but pure, ugly verbose code.

He said 3 points, therefore your argument is moot.

Also your points are subjective and you provide no evidence so fuck off.

that's because you're retarded user

>php

6. Most Java material teaches either Allman or GNU style (or the variations.)

Even c++ has auto keyword to deduce variable type.

> using newline curly braces on small blocks

Anyone remember Critterding ?

It's really neat. Too bad the newest version with the rounded critters and stuff fucks up my ancient processor badly.

>Last Update: 2013-10-20
feels bad man

>yfw algae now took over the world

C-can you evolve a swastika shaped thing? Also a David's star?

yes and yes, swastika is common, david star kind of rare

Never change, Sup Forums

I do remember it but never managed to get anything to evolve vision like they were supposed to.

I guess the fact it has physics means it can never run really fast.

Didn't the guy who made that post on here and gradually descend into madness? He was programming in some kind of shared memory for all the creatures or something.

I love this Sup Forums meme. Java is bad for plenty of things(Desktop applications, game engines) , but Java is not bad, I guarantee you're a NEET retard that wrote fizzbuzz in python once and think you're top shit.

Keep in mind how much of that is the initial time it takes for the JVM to start off properly too and it's even more impressive

I'll give you 1. It's miraculously bloated and redundant.

I used Java for all of 30 minutes before deciding I never wanted to see it again.

that would make great screensaver

Fucking biogenesis was the shit!

I think we can all agree that javascript was a mistake. Especially when considering the current state of webpage bloat.

It could have been glorious lisp and it would still be bloat

>
1. Getters/Setters being the core of the language ("muh OOP"), yet you have no way to simplify it, like in other languages

just like make everything public bro

I love it when somebody gets some hack job and starts saying stuff like "in the industry".

>its written in java

>I used Java for all of 30 minutes and now i know that the entire language is bad
oh shit my sides

>>OP
You got source for that thing?

I'm pretty sure if you have the code, you can speed it up...can't you send in a new value as a parameter? These things are generally made that way.

gc

1. Sup Forums said it's bad
2. that means it's bad
3. because of the first two reasons, it's bad

therefore, Java is bad

Explain why GC is bad, Hint: shitty devs using it as a crutch is not an excuse.

Is the JVM even an advantage anymore?

>C++ is an order of magnitude more complicated than Java
Depends on what you mean by "complicated." More likely, what you meant to say was
>my understanding of C++ is an order of magnitude less than of Java

1. Disgustingly verbose for absolutely no good reason
2. "Everything is an object! Except when it isnt! Ha ha ha ha!"
3. Factories. Factories god damned everywhere.

>1. Getters/Setters being the core of the language ("muh OOP"), yet you have no way to simplify it, like in other languages
Lombok.