/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U0JH0ZzjefE
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html
github.com/valr/cbatticon)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm trying to install an iso on to my windows 10 laptop. I want to completely remove windows but the disk setup is labelling / as Windows 10. Would it be best to wipe it outside of the installer first? I'm not sure if it is doing what I need it to already and just labelling it as windows 10 or if windows 10 is still going to be there (I have set it to format).

Keynesians have taken control of the thread?
Assemble the militias!

>know network fundamentals (working on CCNA)
>know basic linux commands
>know LAMP
>Known how to configure dns and mailservers
>have successfully operated a small web server with project done in laravel
>proficient in vmware

Can I into sysadmin?

torrent some MS cert vids, they love the 2012 and VMware at MSP's

Is anyone using the development branch, 2.9, of GIMP? Are the new additions worth it?

This distro came with Google Chrome as default user.

That doesn't make it right. Sounds like a right shitty distro.

Depends on which installer you're using, obviously. Most have a "use whole disk" option, or "partition entire disk automatically" or something similar, so try choosing that.

>i am monitoring this thread, but not giving any help
feels good

Who are you quoting?

i was quoting my situation, fuckboi

Only thing i can tell is different is that the icons have be rearranged

Well, 32-bit colour depth or 64 and a few other things, but compared to the stable branch it is super unstable.

How fast is samba sharing between two linux computers supposed to be? I am getting 1mbps which seems pretty slow.

I'm able to saturate my gbit lan.

Fuck it, I'm gonna switch to it to see how it works. The thing is, I don't even use GIMP that often, so I can't tell what are bugs and what not.

Also, hunting down libraries need for compilation is a pain in the ass. WHY CAN'T ALL DISTRIBUTIONS NAME THEIR LIBRARIES AND PACKAGES THE SAME?!

Is there any way to edit antergos so that screen fetch will show the arch logo by default?
I remember someone saying you just had to rename a file somewhere but I don't remember where it was.

How can I install GNU + Linux alongside Windows encrypted by Veracrypt? I don't want to break veracrypt loader. Is there a standard way to do it? Currently I'm using like 200 GB as an encrypted NTFS partition and the rest of space is unused.

screenfetch --help
man screenfetch

man bash; hint: look for the alias section

Thanks.
I know how to setup an alias for screen fetch to be screenfetch -D arch, but renaming a file seemed like a nicer solution.

Renaming which file?

I don't remember. That was my question.

because some distros do not split packages like the retards they are maintained by.
Just know that stable gimp never crashes. I have abused the shit out of it on numerous occassions and never once did it crash or hang on me.

I cannot think of such a file, that which when renamed, would change the default behaviour for screenfetch.
Either way, I suggest that you kill yourself for being such a pretentious, obnoxious, try-hard. No one cares which distribution you are using, except for people giving you support. If you wants Arch's support, install Arch.

There is no "better" or "proper" way to handle splitting packages.

Learn scripting, also why do you get CCNA if you want tot be sysadmin ?
Rather go for RHCSA

I am going to install gentoo in virtualbox on windows. I have my own reasons for doing this and not dualbooting or just wiping windows and installing gentoo completely. My question is, will just following the gentoo handbook work for this kind of an installation? I mean, drivers for virtualbox are a pain in the ass even in a lot of babby distros, and I really have no idea what I would do in kernel configuration to make it all work. Are there some good tutorials on how to do this that you guys could link to? Thanks in advance btw.

I was installing Gentoo in a VM a few years ago following the handbook and it worked.

>also why do you get CCNA
I want a piece of paper that proves to my family I'm not a complete fuck up.
RHCSA is next on the list.

What config file do I have to edit to change what starts when x starts i.e. xrandr to make my monitors in the right order

xorg.conf

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

whatever was the answer last time you asked.

Thanks my man. I will hopefully report back in with success, although I don't know If I want to spend hours this sunday installing gentoo, so I may be back next weekend.

I'm using mpd+mpc and I want to retrieve the current position in a song (to make a progress bar), how do I do that?

What's the best featherweight and user-amiable distribution for fortnightly use?

Just was about starting to insult you for not reading the manpage, but it seems --format actually doesn't have an option for timepos (why the hell), so parse the vanilla output, here a solution with awk.
mpc | awk '/playing/ { print $3 }'

kek, yeah the manpage does really help, thanks user

Get a junior position for sysadmin, certs are pretty useless without actual experience ( ccna specially because braindump )
RHCSA is live and you need to know your stuff

Try this, outputs the percent value:
mpc | awk '/playing/ { print $4 }' | sed 's/(//;s/)//;s/%//'

The majority doesn't say GNU/Linux, people say Linux. The majority doesn't say Android/Linux, they say Android. That means that GNU is shit.

Here's your you.

Obligatory (You)

yeah I figured this part out but thanks user

That means that Android is not Linux.

Just because I hate my previous solution:
mpc | sed '/playing/!d;s/.*(\(.*\)%)/\1/'

What are you working on, slider for lemonbar?

tinycore

progress bar for i3bar

youtube.com/watch?v=U0JH0ZzjefE

I'm setting up gentoo on a thinkpad and i can't figure out how to get the wifi working. The wifi drivers I need are iwlwifi, which i enabled as a module in the kernel and installed with the sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Nevertheless the wifi interface doesn't show up, and modprobe iwlwifi outputs: Module iwlwifi not found in /lib/modules/4.4.26-gentoo. The .ucode files - more specifically the iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode - are in /lib/firmware. Anyone an idea what i missed?

>wasting precious CPU cycles on a progress bar
>not utilizing the endless power of your brain by constantly knowing the song's progress by listening to it and comparing it to an extensive database within your brain

gnome or kde or xfce ?
why ?

Noice

>autism

i was thinking of installing debian and then i saw that the wiki had SJW bullshit in it

whats a good non SJW distro

I suggest you move to Antarctica, because there's a very high chance that your current country's government has similar bullshit in it. You don't want to be a hypocrite, do you?

kySUSE

How can I set gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal to identify the custom colours I set for my prompt?

What do you mean with identify?

Is there any software out there that can rival ms office 2013, use it alot in school and wanna put my school memepad on Linux but office has me tied to windows because it just handles everything perfectly (I'm glancing at OneNote) , I looked at zim which is close and nice, but not quite there where OneNote is....any good alternatives exist??

Instead of printing my prompt in the colour I set in .bashrc, they print it in the default text colour.

Post your .bashrc and a screenshot of your terminal. Also, just in case, because this is fglt, post the output of "echo $SHELL".

Libreoffice.
either get a NAS or use a telegram chat for storage. Unlimited upload and filesize limit at 1.5gb.

Sorry, i misread. Just use libreoffice.

Guys, I'm trying to get a pager to word wrap at whole words, rather than partway trough words. I've tried this in less, most, and w3m and I can't see to see a way to do it.

Is there any alternative that I can used that still uses the $PAGER variable?

Basically I want it to output with formatting similar to a man page.

Any way I can do such a thing? I've even tried making nano (with the option -r 70) my pager, but that just quits instantly.

Good job, son.

Just made this one out of boredom:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
title="$(mpc current)"

length="${#title}"

percent="$(mpc | sed '/playing\|paused/!d; s/.*(\(.*\)%)/\1/')"

offset="$((length * percent / 100))"

printf '%s\e[35m%s\n' "${title:0:offset}" "${title:offset}"

It prints the title colorized, based on elapsed time (currently just ansi escapes for testing).

I have a debian router with following port forwarding rule
>iptables -A PREROUTING -p tcp -t nat -i venet0 --dport 8123 -j DNAT --to 10.9.0.3:8123
>iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport 8123 -i venet0 -j ACCEPT
It works fine, service running on 10.9.0.3:8123 is accessible from the internet on wan_ip:8123.
But when i try access same service from a router or via proxy which is running on a router it can be opened only at 10.9.0.3:8123 but not on wan_ip:8123.
What do?

My mouse and my keyboard become laggy after an hour of use or so, what could cause this? I'm running kubuntu 16.04 btw.

Don't smoke weed when using the computer.

Or start smoke before you use it, so there's no noticeable difference.

It happens when I'm sober too.

I'm trying out Plasma for the first time and I'm running into a strange bug where certain maximized windows will extend past the bottom panel. Anyone know why this is happening?

That sounds good, but what is its equivalent to OneNote, I use that in class quite often for note taking and it does the job well...

forgot pic

i am using nano. currently there is syntax highlight when i edit a file. however, it disappears when i sudo nano a file. can someone explain what is happening?

What's the best general purpose, lightweight distro for daily use of my X220?

The one you decide to use

try debian sid

when you "sudo nano" you run nano as root. And nano looks for .nanorc in root's home directory

what you can do is create a symlink of ~/.nanorc to /root/.nanorc

>sid
I wish children could fucking leave this board.

What's the fucking point of running debian if you're going to ruin every single benefit of running debian (stability, polish, security, long-term-support) by becoming a Betatester Sans Salarie?

kys

thanks m8

Sid is the recommended Debian version for normal desktop use: debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html
Stable is preferred for situations where stability matters, eg. servers.

>children
only children care about other peoples age

Hi,

I’m trying to set up a systemd service to restart cbatticon (github.com/valr/cbatticon) after resume from suspend to disk/ram. Apparently I fail to equip the service with the information necessary to make the cbatticon icon appear in my system tray (I’m running Debian stable with fluxbox). I’ve set DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY in the unit file to no avail. Has anyone an idea what I’m missing? I’m quite sure that the script (see below) is executed from beginning to end. However, it has no effect when it’s run by systemd. If I execute it manually in a terminal it works as expected.

Here’s the unit file:
[Unit]
Description=Run /home/USER/bin/cbatticon-restart after resume
After=suspend.target
After=hibernate.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=USER
Environment="DISPLAY=:0"
Environment="XAUTHORITY=/home/USER/.Xauthority"
ExecStart=/home/USER/bin/cbatticon-restart

[Install]
WantedBy=suspend.target
WantedBy=hibernate.target

And here’s the respective bash script:
#! /bin/bash

if [[ -n `pidof cbatticon` ]]
then
PId=$(pidof cbatticon) &&
kill "${PId}"
fi

cbatticon -u 5 -l 20 -r 10 -c "systemctl suspend" &

exit

Thanks a bunch!

Can I get some example usages of xargs?

Is void linux any good? Looking at using it for a bit.

cat urllist.txt | xargs wget

I have a folder of gifs. What is a good gif viewer? I tried gifsicle's gifview but it has no folder browsing

mpv

animate from imagemagick
you maybe already have it installed

eog

wget -i urllist.txt

I usually just abuse xargs for doing things in parallel. Example:

$ seq 10
$ seq 10 | xargs -P 5 -n 1

-P defines the number of processes to start, 0 means as much processes as possible.

Lubuntu/Puppy/Slax/Debian testing with XFCE.
Arch without systemd
Viewnoir

>Debian testing
Nobody should use it, since it's frozen Sid.
Unstable or Stable is the the way to go.

Does it have an alternative to AUR?

Compile from source or use ported application.
The whole "systemd is botnet" is just three letters agencies propaganda so you could use actual botnet.

>iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -t nat -o lo --dport 8123 -j DNAT --to 10.9.0.3:8123

Is there a better way to set an animated wallpaper than sacrificing 13% of my CPU to gifview?

Been trying to install Arch. Followed their wiki guide + read a lot of the linked pages when it wasn't clear, still getting this error when trying to boot. Possibly GRUB not installing properly? Any ideas?