I need a laptop for programming

1. Doesn't have a touchscreen
2. Isn't an Apple product
3. 8+ hours of battery life
4. Good keyboard
5. Reasonable power for compiling code
6. Portable
7. FULL HD screen(I see 1366x768 one more time I'm going to kill myself).
8. Build quality isn't some tacky plastic shit.

Is there anything like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00GQGCFGE/
xiaomi-mi.com/notebooks/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a thinkpad ?

well, you want a business-class laptop, however you'll have trouble finding a decently-priced one with a 1080p screen (they usually just put 480p or 720p screens on business laptops because they assume that you'll be supplied with an external monitor setup if necessary)

hinges scratch your desk
top heavy
more expensive than a 15" MacBook Pro
keyboard base and battery cannot charge the tablet part
when closed it's thicker than it should be due to a strange gap from the hinge design

>buying 16:9 as a programmer
full fucking retard.
If you have to fill all these requirements, wait for the new thinkpad they'll announce at CES.
Or stop being an autist and buy the new surface book and just don't use the fucking touchscreen jesus christ

T420

Why would I waste 30% of the price on a feature I am never going to use, retard?

t450s, (used)
t460s, (new 2core)
t460p (new 4core)

depends how much money you want to throw

because it has something you should want equally as much as a programmer and it has a monopoly on that feature, and it fullfills all your other demands.
OR, again, wait for CES in january and see what lenovo announces.

Macbook Pro Retina 13" 2015
>16:10 screen
>OS X, Windows, and Linux compatibility
>2560x1600 resolution
>aluminum build quality
>decent power

You could also get a Thinkpad, but you lose being able to program in OS X and the high resolution

I was about to say the same thing...

Unfortunately apple products are really rough on your hands if you type as much as a serious programmer, poor key travel. Also he asked for not apple. 16:10 with good res makes it more respectable than most laptops for me though. windows is definitely a superior commercial OS for me personally but it's obviously still an option

He wants reasonable power for compiling so may be c/c++/rust/haskell.

How's GNU + Linux support?

I've been programming Java/C# and been responsible for Linux/legacy sysadmin and worked as an systems architect, and here's my recommendation:

A MBP.

Personally I've been using Gentoo and Windows on Lenovo computers mainly, but OSX accomplishes a mixture of both. Great battery life and compatability with an unix system. Go full Linux and you'll find yourself out of touch with an office setting, getting everything from presentation screens to printers to work can suck major balls. With a MAC, you can still get that sweet UNIX system that'll work fantastically.

A MBP has reasonable power for compiling code, and to date in the office the high-end MPB is the de facto best computer to work with. It has a pci-express memory which makes it blow everything else away. We've been unable to beat it running a full compile and a full suite of tests on a laptop.

I'm getting the feeling that OP is new at programming and as such is buying this out of enthusiasm, maybe not the smartest move, but there are definitely universal desired features for all coders, and he's probably not tied down in specifics yet. that's my guess

MacBook Pro

google pixel

Some Asus ZenBook that doesn't have touch screen and doesn't have a shitty Core-M.

Dell xps

You can run OSX on some thinkpads, including X220 and T420.

It's perfectly usable on the T420, obviously it's older machine, but 1600x900 is still decent and actually you have more space than on 2560x1600 with scaling enabled.

Most laptops these days come with 1920x1080.

Macbook Pros can only scale from 1680x1050 so Macs literally have less real estate than a cheap $500 laptop. Kek.

>T420
>8+ hours of battery life
I'm not seeing it.

>but 1600x900
hold it right there.
If we allow this shit he should just get a t60 with 1600x1200 and cloud compute all compiling.

Just get a MacBook and get over with it, they are superior in any way. If you are a freetard, you may feel a slight sting at first. That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps

Not OP, and have no qualms with a Mac, but which MBP is the right one to get? I hear a lot of shit about the current release, while some are praising the 2015 version. Notebookcheck seems to have a glowing review of the late 2013 version.

>heavy as fuck
>THICK
>plastic
>shitty keyboard
>throttling
>FUCKING CALCULATOR QUALITY LCD
>maximum 5-6 hours with heavy as fuck 9-cell battery

If you get a MBP, go with a souped up 16GB, 1 TB Late 2013 MBP. It'll be cheaper than the 2015 MBP and the 2015 MBP has no major advngt over it.

Like this?
amazon.com/dp/B00GQGCFGE/

Looks pretty good for the price.

>shitty keyboard

14' Latitudes are usually 1440*900 doe

xiaomi-mi.com/notebooks/
These

>shitty keyboard
It's the actual best keyboard for any laptop in the world, it's more than 50% of why people still buy it

want to buy this notebook ....plz xiaomi launch this product in indian........waiting...eagerly ....plz plz plzz...

i get 8 hours on a worn out 9 cell
install the power manager, dumpy

>Just get a MacBook and get over with it, they are superior in any way. If you are a freetard, you may feel a slight sting at first. That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps

great advice user

didn't take long for the xiaomi shill to arrive

This right here.

I switched to Macs for programming about 5 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made.

how does it feel to poop on the street?

This is a comment on the website he linked.

Acer Chromebook 14 with Linux. You can buy one for $200 right now, it's a pretty good deal.

You could also check out the Dell Depot and snag a Dell Chromebook 13 for $200~ish, those are pretty nice.

>programming

Thinkpad T420 and install Fedora on it

"programming" can be done on literally anything though

0.5 GearBest points have been deposited into your account!

xps 13 / 15

Why isn't there a containment thread for laptop suggestions?

Because then there would be no room for yet another nVidia/AMD thread.

+1 for Xiaomi

on /wsr/ there's a 'help me choose a new laptop' thread everyday

Why is full HD is not a requirement for laptop nowadays when most smartphones is using full HD?

What's wrong with 16:9 for programming?

>you work with text
>the human eye is much much better at reading short lines stacked high than short stacks of very long lines
>generally much less wasted space when having multiple programs open
>generally the screens are just bigger and higher ress for their time, allowing for more space to use even under optimal circumstances, and the extra size isn't as straining on the eye.

Dell Latitude e5270 (12"), e5470 (14") or e5570 (15") depending on your screen size preference.

this is AT BEST trivial

We use the Dell Latitudes at work.
14" screen, non-touch, 1080p, i7, 16GB RAM.
~$1000 direct from Dell.

You could probably find a used/refurb for cheaper.

Ok, what would be a better screen?

Only if you've never felt the difference. If I could pick between having an SSD and having a 4:3 screen and I could never have the other, I guarantee the 4:3 screen would make me more efficient than the SSD would

As long as it can have Solus installed on it it's a good laptop.

this desu senpai, ebay has some gr8 deals if you know how to use it right

My latitude has full 1080p

not anymore, the shit ones are 768 but any decent models are 1080 these days

Thinkpad x260.

I have never noticed a difference in productivity as long as the screen is decently sized

zero shits given about proportions afaic, only resolution

well you're an idiot then. this isn't subjective, unless you feel at ease claiming that your eyes are completely differently configured than every other person.

>argument time
look faggums. If I can keep my terminal on one side, and whatever the fuck else on the other, I'll get my shit done.

Same 4 you? Yeah same 4 you.

sure, you'll get it done, you'll just be much much slower at doing so.

Dell XPS.

Get a Macbook Pro my main man.
If you're sick of shit screens on laptops use a rMBP, a lot of people go for an XPS or Yoga, Surface Pro etc but none of them have better screens than the Macbook.

A lot of the contractor devs I work with use a 15" rMBP and use VMs for everything.

x220 with FHD mod.
>how to fhd mod
it's very difficult and there is little to none research done on that, my advice is worthless

X250 has FHD displays in their offer. It also has very good battery life and external battery is hot-swappable, so it should be great for your needs

I've been looking at latitudes myself. Any reason to choose the e7270/7470 over their 5000 series cousins?

>i need a laptop for programming
>8 hours of battery with 1080

commit suicide karlie

7000 series are somewhat thinner and lighter, and have higher base specs. They may be slightly less upgradable depending on the exact model, and they also all come with a trackpoint mouse which is a turnoff personally. I also prefer the look of the keyboard on the 5000 generally, but that's personal preference and really rather minor.

They're usually a couple hundred dollars more as well, if price is important I'd go with the 5000. Otherwise you really have to look at the exact models and compare.

thanks for the rundown man, think i'll be looking to pick up a 5470 sometime in the next few weeks.

Xiaomi mi notebook air. A little hard to get now but best shit in the category!

Precision e7510 is a way to go. Eventually 5510.

What's a good hackintosh/linux laptop? I've been using Windows since forever and while I have Ubuntu on dual boot I feel like I'm missing out on OSX/iPhone programming.

I love my XPS but OP wanted decent battery and you do not get that with the XPS, or atleast the 4k 15" i've got

second

Their 2015 pixel laptop has 8-12 hours of battery life depending on your usage and has an i5.

>not an apple product
>for programming
Retarded. When you actually get a job you'll see just how much of a grip Apple has on the industry.

>fruity toddler toy for technology illiterate gullible morons
>for programming

>t. mactoddler

>most shops with >50 people use MBPs almost exclusively for their developers
>toddler toy

K, stick to your thinkpad

Pretty much in the same boat as OP, been looking for a laptop I can take with me to college mainly for programming.

Had a Thinkpad T460 for a bit, but I either got a really bad unit or it's a pretty disappointing laptop, ended up selling it.

Was eyeing the XPS 13 for a while, but all the quality control issues it seems to have put me off, also seeing it in person it felt a bit too cramped since it's basically a 11.6" laptop with 13.3" screen.

At this point I'm almost considering just getting the 2015 Macbook Pro 13, I'm not an apple fan by any means, but I really can't find anything worthwhile. Either that or some cheap ass chromebook or used chinkpad while I wait for something better to come out.

>>fruity toddler toy for technology illiterate gullible morons
>>for programming

It can be for both

>fruity overheating throttling toddler toy that can't even watch youtube without setting your house on fire

>overheating throttling
Why lie?

Still in the pay of Unka Bill, eh?
He doesn't really love you, you know.

where exactly?

>toddler toy
>for work

Why lie?

>This one version overheats and throttles (under stress testing for an hour)
Therefore it's a fruity toy that overheats with Youtube

Why lie?

Razer Stealth

>boo hoo, has touch screen

If you hate it that much, disable it.

>t. mactoddler

>This one version

I have an XPS 13. It ticks every one of these boxes.

Is a dGPU useful for programming? What if you like to do some Photoshop or 3D modeling on the side? Or get into CUDA?

Razer Stealth + Razer Core.

>XPS 13
>4. Good keyboard
>no numpad

3:2 > 4:3

For FizzBuzz and inane freshmen programming projects a chinkpad is good enough. Otherwise get a rMBP if you're actually compiling some decent software. Most of Sup Forums just pushes Thinkpads for shitposting about distros all day without ever doing anything productive.

>fruity toddler toy OS
>decent software

Dell Precision.
>All these memepad posts
Thinkpad has been a pile of trash for years now.

Precision tops it in performance and build quality in every way. Plus it doesnt have that stupid new keyboard.

>Dell Precision.

If only the 5000 had a numpad.

>If only the 5000 had a numpad.

USB numpads are cheap and light enough to carry with your other gear.