/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.goldenears.net/20519
amazon.com/Perfect10-Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax®-XPT100/dp/B0093PVTPS/
strawpoll.me/11647165
whathifi.com/philips/shb8850nc/review
mother-of-tone.com/conversion.htm
analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-017.pdf
maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3853
analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/292524291525717245054923680458171AN283.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK240Monitor.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD2000X.pdf
akg.com/pro/p/k240studio
akg.com/pro/p/k240mkii
akg.com/pro/p/k240-monitor
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nico Nico Nii
What headphones would Nico use?

>Budget
>Source
Motherboard
>Type of head-phone
full-sized
>Open or closed?
Closed
>Comfort
Comfy as possible
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 201

en.goldenears.net/20519

Shitty headphones for a shitty idol.

Smug Vampire > Smug Demon

amazon.com/Perfect10-Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax®-XPT100/dp/B0093PVTPS/

>open thread
>hagshit

>Budget
$100
>Location
USA
>Source
FiiO K1
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open prefered, either works
>Comfort level
Doesnt matter, I have spare velours from my Superlux HD 681
>Sound signature
V Shaped
>Past headphones
Skullcandy Hesh2
Superlux HD 681
Samson SR950

JVC-HAFX40
Skullcandy Ink'd
VE Monk+

I only listen to EDM and will also be using these for gaming (CSGO,BF4,Insurgency mainly). Any suggestions or replies would be great, thanks.

This isn't official image

>Budget
>Source
t420
>Type of head-phone
full-sized
>Open or closed?
Closed
>Comfort
Comfy as possible
>Past headphones
apple earbuds

My beyerdynamic dt770 started rattling in the left speaker. Why didn't anyone warn me before buying this shit.

Check if there's a hair or some particle touching the driver. That's the most common cause of rattle and distorted sound.

JK BACK AGAIN TO SHIT UP THIS THREAD WITH SHITTY IDOLS

beyers are built like a tank on the outside but are so fragile on the inside.

I did, but I couldn't find any. It only happens when I put my volume higher than 50 on my PC (and only when listening to bass). Maybe it's an amp problem?

No, amplifier doesn't act like that. It should be easy enough to test however, plug in another pair of headphones if you have any and turn up the volume by a same amount.

Good info.

The plastic things where the headband goes into are somewhat prone to cracking.

Are the Sennheiser HD 650s still among the best open ear headphones

Is the Fiio E6 enough to power HD598s? I have this combination, but if I'd get a better experience with a better amp (within reason), I'd like to know

Sorry, didn't notice template.

>Budget
Ideally Location
UK
>Source
Epiphany 02 amp + odac
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
>Open
>Comfort level
Headphone is only sound source at PC, ideally must be able to wear for up to six hours without discomfort
>Sound signature
Warm preferred
>Past headphones
AKG K701

I'm looking for headphones to replace the Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs for outside use be it on public transportation, the library, etc. They have served me well for 8 years now, but I'm in the lookout for something better.
>Budget
Ideally less than $300, but am flexible.
>Location
Puerto Rico
>Type of headphone
On ear. Could do full ear, but I want to be as portable as possible.
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
As comfy as possible, but my ears have bleed all that they could with the clamp, I don't mind if they're uncomfy.
>Sound signature
I don't know, maybe neutral this time? I can be open to whatever.
>Past headphones
Grado SR-60i, Koss Portapro, Audio Technica ATH M50, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.

Also looking for headphones for on home use. These can be open, over ear, etc. Same budget.

When do you think they'll open it again? That's more than 5 times their initial limit.

What tip does Sup Forums use on their Etymotic HF5?

strawpoll.me/11647165

I don't know if my headphones are actually good or not, I've been using my AKG K430s for a year now, and I'd like know if I should change to something better.

>Budget
Max $160

>Location
Brazil

>Source
Motherboard

>Type of headphone
Over ear

>Open or closed
Doesn't matter

>Comfort
As comfy as possible

>Sound signature
Didn't own a lot of headphones before so I don't really know what I like, so I guess neutral would be fine?

>Past headphones
AKG K430, the only pair of decent headphones I've ever had.

>Budget
$250> mildly flexible
>Location
USA
>Source
Motherboard
>Type of head-phone
Full
>Open or closed?
closed, pref the more soundproof the better
>Comfort
wear them for upwards of 5 hours at a time so comfort is a big plus
>Past headphones
Fidelio X2
liked that you didnt need an amp, were crazy comfortable, felt very open and wide..(?) soundwise i guess. though highs could be a bit sharp at times

I need a new portable audio source because my portapros broke and they need to be replaced.

>budget
< 50€

>location
ireland

>source
ipod classic

>type
ear phone / bud

>open/closed
closed preferably

>comfort
as much as possible

>past headphone
koss portapro

I have a Porta Pro. What is broken? Just curious.

Sony XBA-10/XBA-C10.

>my portapros broke
Don't they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty?

i've been using the ath-m50's in pic related for roughly 3 years now and they're starting to show some wear.

thought maybe i should try something new so i bought the shures in same pic. figure i could return them if i didn't like them and just stay with what i'm familiar with and get new m50x's.

are they good headphones? what can help me decide which one to keep, other than obviously listening to both of them?

need recommendation

>Budget
~$100 with lots of leeway
>Location
America. Or else I'd be buying these
whathifi.com/philips/shb8850nc/review
>Type
on-ear. foldable.
>comfort level
needs to be comfy. Would prefer 7/10 sound and 9/10 comfort over the other way around
>sound signature
as neutral as possible

bonuses: wireless (only if can be used with wire without battery), noise cancelling/reduction, detachable cable. needs at least one of these three to be worth buying IMO

forgot to mention
>past headphones
currently using apple earbuds (better than skullcandy, any other $20 headphones I've ever used)

have ATH-M30's at my desktop but they are 0/10 comfy because they squeeze my glasses to my head and I need to take them off after an hour if not 10-15 minutes

I'd be using the heaphones with an android phone (hopefully a pixel) and if they sound good enough maybe they'll be for my desktop too

How do I fix headphones that have a short at the very base where it enters?

>Budget
~$100, can go over budget
>Location
USA
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy over long periods of time, preferably something that won't squeeze my glasses
>Past headphones
Currently using Logitech G930s. Looking for something that lasts longer and doesn't slide off my head when I look down. Really liked the surround sound. Wireless is a bonus.

Any chances of the 80 OHM DT 770 getting a discount on Black Friday?

>Really liked the surround sound.

Their build quality is really poor.
Their sound is shill select.

Sauce?

>Budget
150-200 but I'm fairly flexible around that point as long as I'm not paying for diminishing returns
>Location
Australia
>Source
phone, computer, does it matter?
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
preferably closed
>Comfort level
Willing to get better headphones for a little less comfort
>Sound signature
neutral
>Past headphones
headphones that came with a keyboard.

Looking into 598SE but it has that obnoxious connector. The thick-ass adapter would still get in the way, so needless to say I'd get replacement cords terminating in 3.5mm. Are there any particular cords you would recommend?

HD598 S3 should havr two cables: one ends with a 6.3 mm connector, the other one should end with a 3.5 mm connector.

I thought they both had the 6.3mm connector but one was shorter than the other?

Aidoru edition

This might be a dumb question, but will open headphones be too loud to use with a nearby microphone? I'd like a modmic with open headphones, but that concern just occurred to me.

Wait for a new HD6XX drop.

Is the difference between delta-sin DAC and multibit DAC really that huge?

if you mean audible difference then no, there's absolutely nothing if both are properly designed.

Does the rule of thumb about gaming headsets being shit apply to Sennheiser's game one?

How can there be no difference?
mother-of-tone.com/conversion.htm

ok ive ran through 2 atm50s for about 7 years now. First pair had its cup holder thing broken. I just tapped it, super glued it, and ran with thoses for a few years until I finally had enough with doing maintenance every few days and just bought a new pair. 2nd set last the rest of the years and finally the plastic stacks that keep the headphones cupped to your ears broke. I was debating if I should just wear a sweat band or just find another pair that won't break as much.

also I noticed in both pair that the cord at the end of the jack always ALWAYS becomes loose and produces a static noise when messed with.

>Budget
$150 i can wait for shit to go on sell or buy used

>location
US

>source
motherboard

>type
over ear cup

>open/closed
closed

>comfort
sound quality is more important and i have cup replacements if I need them.

>past headphones
atm50s
sol republic air 10v

Me on the left

If you look at the chip and the hardware, sure.
If you look at it like a black box and only care what comes out, not so much.

>How can there be no difference?
They can just flat out lie about these things work. To explain everything wrong with that could fill pages. Better to just read an engineering textbook and avoid that dreck altogether.
If you don't assume malice, we could start by saying it leaves out a standard step in reconstruction: the standard analog cutoff filter.

Proper DAC outputs don't look like discrete stairsteps, not even on a fine scale. We would call that a bad DAC in any normal application, audio or otherwise. The corners are images, the signal reflected over fs/2 that can also fit the sampled points. The ultra-high frequency artifacts are undesirable, and are normally removed by the lowpass filter.
These also catch the shaped noise output produced by Sigma-Delta (Σ-Δ) converters and by any applied dither spectra. With the noise and error removed, what you have left is a high resolution signal in the frequency of interest.

Now if you can grasp the content of these links, you should have a better idea of what goes on.

DAC Oversampling tutorial, with a mention of Σ-Δ converters
>analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-017.pdf
Application note on DAC cutoff filter
>maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3853
An old article on Σ-Δ conversion. What has become practical to implement has changed, but it still works for theory.
>analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/292524291525717245054923680458171AN283.pdf

Virtual surround is trash. Honestly. Ruins music, and you can accomplish the exact same with purely software if you want it for vidya. Just get a good pair of headphones.

That said, best options within your budget are either Brainwavz HM5, or M40x with HM5 pads

M40x if you want solid bass, HM5 if you want a nice neutral and clear sound. Your choice. M40x clamp may be an issue with glasses though.

Terrible article. It doesn't go into limitations of resistor ladder designs(beyond mentioning how hard it is to match the resistors but mentions not how this limits fidelity) but likes to talk about noise in delta-sigma conversion - noise which is completely outside of the audible domain and filtered out from the device's response by low pass filtering. These designs are always a series of tradeoffs and understanding what could even theoretically be audible or outputted by the device is enough to see how that is mostly just bullshit. There is no "total noise output" to worry about as it truly does reside outside of human hearing capabilities(well above 20 KHz) and at this point the device also physically filters this signal out so even if we magically could hear up there, it will not be present in the signal outputted. This is all shown in any decent delta-sigma converter's measuremens, too. The sine waves look nothing like those in the article which are only possible by not filtering the ultrasonic junk frequencies out which absolutely no converter does. No working DAC outputs a stairstep sine wave either so that "smooth" R2R example wave is only an intermediate step in the converter, not how the wave actually looks like when it comes out. Also no DAC achieves 24 bits of resolution. The best DACs are capable of around 21 bits and these are all delta-sigma, Yggdrasil gets very close however. Interestingly enough Schiit themselves report worse performance for their R2R "upgrades" over the Delta-Sigma converters.

How the article ties everything into audibility is another can of worms and makes simply ridiculous claims about how these two technologies, nothing more than means to an end, have some inherent audible traits.

instaliraj đentu

>Budget
£80-ish
>Location
UK
>Source
iPhone
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Doesnt matter
>Past headphones
Cheap shit

Every pair of headphones I've found at £70-£80 are meme wireless bluetooth.

Any suggestions?

Brainwavz HM5 or NVX XPT-100
Both are fairly identical. HM5's are kinda better built. Pretty minimal differences though

Though if you want some more bass, get M40x and HM5 pads.

buy em online tho. retail stores are shit for most audio gear unless theyre on special

>which absolutely no converter does
Well...that has it's own niche.

You want to remove the noise and images, regardless of audibility. These can overload amplifier slew limits, provide useless signal into an amplifier that outputs useless power to heat up tweeters. But this is standard practice.

>Also no DAC achieves 24 bits of resolution.
Theoretically possible for audio, but not very usable.

>huge
No, nothing in the kilobuck range is going to have a "huge" difference from one another. Then again this is just playing semantics.

Diminishing returns, etc.

>Theoretically possible for audio
What would you say is the limitation for the roughly 21 bits of resolution we see in the best converters on the market? What is the resolution limited by? Can you say whether it is possible to get higher resolution in practice, forgetting whether or not that extra resolution has any practical relevance?

How did I do for entry level, Sup Forums?
Been using shitty $39 turtle beach headphones that were a gift 8 years ago.

you did fine

I wish I had known that /hpg/ was a thing, I would have sought help before I bought. Glad to know I didn't screw up miraculously

How come the Impulse response goes inverted instead of up like the AD2000X's?

innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK240Monitor.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD2000X.pdf

Dunno. Square waves do the same. Doesn't really matter at entry level shit. You're just looking for good sound really.

Thank you.

I have been checking some headphones lately and they are 2-3 times more expensive then US in where i live(Turkey) .

I finally found HD471 and i was wondering about the quality of this product. Is it worth the money(around 125 bux)?

Get K240s, they are better

>K240
They are 185$ and way out of my price range mate.

buy online and import from cheaper euro sites
local prices are retarded

Not him but also interested. Which one? K240 or K240 MKII's?

Not an option for now bro. After the recent coup even ordering from Amazon is a fucking mess right now. Even the books are held up at customs.

Aren't they 600 Ohms?

Different user here. I've also been trying to decide between these two, or something similar.

Everything I've read online indicates that those two headphones are audibly identical. The MKII just comes with an extra set of velour pads and an extra coiled cable, so it might be a little more comfortable for extended listening.

I'd get the MKII because comfort is important, but where I live they cost $100 more than the K240 studio which I can't really justify.

Nevermind just found out.

>55 ohms
akg.com/pro/p/k240studio
akg.com/pro/p/k240mkii

>600 ohms
akg.com/pro/p/k240-monitor

Inverted polarity on the K240s. This has to do how the wiring is done internally in the headphones, basically just positive and negative wires changed the other way.

then leave your shit country turkroach

The only difference is mostly just the color, the mkii looks nicer

yes but those are the old ones, they arent made anymore

in brief: my needs are specifically monitoring mixes and mastering my music (experimental with a blend of organic and electronic instruments if it matters) and other people's music freelance. I need good reference phones to use in tandem with my desk monitors- I need it to sound as good as possible on both.

>Budget
literally whatever as long as it's not insane or unreasonable for the level of improvement from what I have currently. If it's $450+ you'd have to really sell me on it though

>Location
clapistan

>Source
audio interface for monitoring mixes, stereo receiver, and occasionally phone/laptop headphone jack for lazy casual listening.

>Type of headphone
over-ear, bonus if it's specifically designed for monitoring use

>Open or closed
whichever lends itself better to a more accurate mix. No preference.

>Comfort level
would like it to be comfy and not make my ears sore for long hours working on music

>Sound signature
absolute must for it to be as flat and neutral as possible. No bias toward any frequency band, I'm not some edm basshead

>Past headphones
ATH-meme50s, honestly nothing else worth mentioning, they're been my main and only pair for 6+ years and they're starting to go.

K702 and Fiio e10k or any other good entry amplifier

Did anyone try these headphones before?

I was going to get O2/Odac for my HD600 but then I ended up with additional 60$ and my eyes felt on THE ELEMENT, I am a faggot for sleek black boxes. But still, how do they compare to O2/Odac, is there a decent bump in performance?

>having a hd600
wew

Audio casual here.

What's the verdict on the Sennheiser HD 598? I don't need audiophile-tier quality, I just want decent-sounding over-ear headphones that are comfy for long periods of time and have removable cable.

Budget anywhere up to $250 desu

Also I have no amp, just plugging these right into motherboard.

Do I even want an entry level amp for casual listening?

They're pretty decent. Beaten by stuff like T50RP's but that requires modding and all that.

Also, you may want to look at 558's rather than 598's. The 598's have a sort of fake leather vinyl headband cushion which can be irritating to some. If youre not going for 'MAXIMUM OPTIMUM SUPER AUDIOPHILE' tier shit, you probably won't notice a difference.

If you dont find them too hot you may want to look at AKG K612's

>Beaten by stuff like T50RP
At what?

You don't need an amp for 598's. Theyre easy to drive. If youre worried you can get a DIY amp from china for around 10 bucks, or an SMSL DAC/Amp combo for around 70

At almost everything simply due to the insane modding community. Stock the low end goes deeper because muh planar.

Comfort may be the only thing 598's do better.

i was wondering about this myself since i'm pretty ignorant about headphones in general. i've been reading a lot about it, it's just difficult without being able to test different headphones out and compare.

i'm looking to get a friend of mine a headset or headphones/a mic as a christmas gift and i know he has a preference for headsets (less cables i guess). i think i could get better audio and mic quality for less with separates though. i'll also be getting myself a pair of headphones as well. i know for sure that i don't want a headset.

>Budget
I'm wanting to spend $150-$200 total each (mic included, leaning towards a modmic) but my budget is fairly flexible.

>Location
shipping to US

>Source
motherboard

>Type of headphone
full sized circumaural

>Open or closed
i think i prefer closed, but i haven't ever actually tried open headphones. i don't think sound leakage is a huge problem, but i like isolation.

>Comfort level
comfort is fairly important to me, i wear my headphones for hours at a time. i'm mostly concerned about clamp because i get headaches when my headphones press my glasses into my face.

>Sound signature
my friend's will be used primarily for gaming, while mine will be primarily for music. he currently is using a gaming headset and finds his bass lacking. i'm curious about more neutral sound and would like to try it.

any help would be appreciated!

I might be on a Senn fag path (had a 589 prior), but before getting them I did try out other headphones, AKG and Beyer. Beyers were fun, AKG were really really nice and if I would get any other headphones pair it will be an AKG. But Senns won, they were more neutral, gave more of everything and their laid back sound is plus for someone who keeps headphones permanently on their head.

would I need an amplifier for just casual listening or would a mid-tier interface alone be able to drive it adquately? Focusrite 2i4 here, headphone jack is 10 ohm I believe, pretty low

ATH-M50x or M40x?
Are the M50x worth the higher price?

Why buy the amp? the headphones should be adequate alone for most uses

Also AKG are fuckload harder to power than the HD600 and I had/have no amp for them.

Well then, samsung just bought AKG

How good are the Fidelio L2s? Are they an upgrade over the SHP9500s?

Is the SMSL M3 powerful enough to drive AKG K612? A review said they need the O2 amp on 2.5x gain mode. Does this affect sound quality?