So Sup Forums whats the proper way to apply thermal paste?

So Sup Forums whats the proper way to apply thermal paste?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk
youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

semen

you here to start a fight?

this is the only right way:
take some mayonnaise and gently rub it on the CPU like wikipedia told you to. now use your pc for a few hours and open it back up. lick the mayo residue off like a good little slut and repeat the process.

in all honesty, it depends on your thermal compound.

for example artic silver 5 doesn't spread well so the line method works wonders. but thermal paste with more viscosity spreads well, so the pea in the middle method works best.

You joke but first pc I had not toothpaste for my cpu so I jerked right on it. It does work

around 4-5 artic silver 5s should do the trick

X formation. It guarantees the best spread.

youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

The only correct way

don't apply too much, don't apply too little

the thing is that even if you apply a small amount it's going to spread out a lot, if you have a heatsink with a lot of clamping pressure it will spread out more, even if it doesn't hit every corner it's fine because the actual die of the cpu is much smaller than the ihs as pic related will show, you can see how it spreads for yourself by taking the heatsink off after mounting it

the problems when applying paste come from applying next to no paste which is really hard to do, and applying too much paste which spills over and is a nightmare to clean up as well as the fact it will hinder thermal transfer as the paste is only necessary to fill the voids that would otherwise be filled with air

the only exceptions to note are that gpus and more enthusiast/server grade cpus, such as intel e series, will have much larger die surfaces so you need to apply enough that it'll spread further into the corners, some people recommend a cross, in contrast to the line and pea method, and other people recommend spreading it, but even if you apply just a larger pea size blob in the middle and then mount the heatsink it will likely be fine

some benchmarks show that the only severe issues come from applying too little to none, and from applying so much paste that you'd give msi a run for their money, the key thing to take away is that it's hard to fuck it up

I just make a pea sized blob in the center of the chip.

whatever way the manual tells you to.

What would be the best method on a i5 6400 stock cooler?

can't go wrong with artic silver 5+nazi symbol method

small to medium pea like pic related, the stock intel coolers have crap mounting pressure so make sure to press it down firmly and evenly before mounting but again it's really hard to mess it up

5 dots, just like in a die. Never got it wrong that way.

thanks

Someone post that msi gif thanks

and as far as what it may look like after removing the heatsink, check pic related, but you'll notice that it will fully cover the die as pictured in which is the important part

if it looks like pic related on a gpu or on an enthusiast/xeon grade intel cpu you've probably used too little paste (again, cross/line/whatever methods both give more paste and more reach for when it spreads) but unless you're noticing severe temperatures it's probably fine, and as mentions you may need more paste as artic silver has a really high viscosity (and dries really hard, which is why the manual says the curing time is a month)

if in doubt or are using a niche type of paste refer to the pastes documentation

and for good measure, here is a claimed i7-5960x delidded showing how some of the higher end cpus having much bigger die sizes (and why the line method isn't always ideal), however it was never verified if it's a 5960x or an earlier intel-e series (note 12 cores) or a xeon

also worth noting that the die broke because the die was soldered to the ihs rather than being attached with just thermal paste, oops!

what the fuck, man

didn't someone do a test and it showed that peanut butter was a effective thermal paste but not good for long term use?

youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ

Doesn't matter as long as there's enough

about three fiddy

fix'd

Whichever way the instructions say

Stupid racist nigger.

I tried x shape last time but temps were still shitty. I run stock cooler though. Idle 38C and converting video it gets to 95C. It's an i5 2400 running at 3.7ghz.

Best thing I've read on Sup Forums today. It does work

>heat up ovens, not CPUs

Thermal paste is a meme.

>user goes commando

>Sup Forums builds a computer

Just keep it under 88C and you wont have problems, friend.

squart it on there

>Implying a 6000 series has a stock cooler

I did an X shape on mine, but I have a huge CPU.

This, just make bigger blobs in the center. The heatsink base will spread it out. The real goal is to get enough on there that it spreads over the entire IHS, but not enough that it drips down into the socket.

(you)
>not having toothpaste
>not telling believable story

With your mom's giant ass

>but not enough that it drips down into the socket.
I swear to christ the most retarded people do this and fuck their shit up
>overflood
>CPU pins on motherboard get hit with the goop
>they try to fix it by scraping it off
>bend the fucking pins

You have to carefully put on a tiny bit of thermal paste

then you get out your welding machine and mig weld the heatsink to the cpu

anything less and Sup Forumsaymers will shit on you

Not in the fucking pins as I have seen some people do. Just put on a pea sized amount.

X method gets the best spread without bubbles.
all the benefits of the pea method with better spread.

The funny thing is there's a margin of error where it'll just stay stuck to the bottom of the heatsink and not drip. You really have to fuck up to do that, it's not a fine line. This shit ain't brain science.

I drew a line along an edge and used a business card to squeegee it. Was worried cause all I read was how difficult it was and I'm retarded but it worked perfectly and my temps were lower than when new.

that's the one, although they could probably use a little bit more paste to help fill in around the outsides more

for you

hurts every time

If you're using the stock cooler it already has a thermal pad on it out of box

Still thinking its a joke

Semen works, can confirm.

95 Celcius while playing D3.

Every fucking time this makes me throw up in my mouth

Holy fuck spoiler that shit ffs

Image familiar

we need proof

Semen works bruh. But please don't bust a nut on the CPU. Use watercooling set up and fill it with semen. All this shit is inside so theres no smell of burnt semen.

>semen works
>temps obviously too high

>70 C
>too high

Nah. it's not as good as ceramic paste but it's free and always on hand. Just re-apply it every few days.

>Just re-apply it every few days.

>opening the guts up every few days
ayyy

Use Nutella with Gatorade/Powerade/Energy Drinks for fluid on liquid cooling

>jayztwocents reference lole

jesus christ

Why else do you think ricer cases come with big windows on the side?

I can already imagine, some fat neckbeard straining to squat down to his tower on the floor while beating his semi-flacid meat and sticking it inside the side window, as he looks up at the monitor full of lolis just so he can play some more WoW without his CPU getting fried.

As long as it covers an area bigger than the die below, does spread matter?

>what is syringe

Are you using your toothbrush to apply paste?

you're taking the fun out of it. Have you never wanted to fuck your warm PC tower?

I can even see a new niche growing: tower fleshlights. Put the lub, it's already warm from computing. Semen is stored and squirted on the cpu as needed.

>all that stale smegma

Couldn't find it so take this image instead.

Which one?

Where they put 2kg of thermal paste on the CPU and spread it with a credit card.

This one?

5 rice sized dots arranged like on a domino

retard

yes, ty. Seems like I missed it.