/mpv/ - because everything else is shit

>Installation for windows, osx and linux distributions.
mpv.io/installation/

>User scripts and meme shaders for advanced users.
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

>Some advanced configurations, don't copy/paste them like a retard.
github.com/haasn/gentoo-conf/blob/xor/home/nand/.mpv/mpv.conf
github.com/vyral-protoss/complete-mpv-conf/blob/master/mpv.conf

>Dump of madVR (0.90.24) shaders:
0x0.st/eqp.txz

>Enhance detail ported for mpv:
pastebin.com/4WBPQ7Cq

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~mc3man/ archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests
gist.githubusercontent.com/igv/a015fc885d5c22e6891820ad89555637/raw/f94383f1dd6f0c29dd6595cd428b204cd48ea442/ewa_lanczos.jpg
gist.githubusercontent.com/igv/a015fc885d5c22e6891820ad89555637/raw/f94383f1dd6f0c29dd6595cd428b204cd48ea442/Krigbilateral.jpg
nightlies.plex.tv/public-test/plexmediaplayer/public-testing/latest/
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/3744
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/mpv_identify.sh
lmgtfy.com/?q=mpv android
madshi.net/madVR/NG1/clownJincAR.png
madshi.net/madVR/NG1/clownNG1.png
github.com/Argon-/mpv-stats/
github.com/torque/mpv-progressbar
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#i-want-the-old-osc-back
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#format-selection
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#how-can-i-change-video-quality-on-youtube
github.com/cmdrkotori/mpc-qt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>broken

I'm a bit new for Linux, where can I find fresh mpv?
apt install gave me outdated shit,

Literally just compile it from source my man.

When will they make the main window size an aspect ratio of 16:9

eh, vlc just works

Why almost everybody hate doom9 meme filters?
Is making picture sharpened bad for video or is it because it's from doom9?
I use SSimSuperRes and KrigBilateral, does it mean I am a doom9 fag?

launchpad.net/~mc3man/ archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests

Who the hell think that ewa_lanczos is better than KrigBilateral? Shiandow made a good job, please don't talk about oil painting, it's just a fucking lie.

gist.githubusercontent.com/igv/a015fc885d5c22e6891820ad89555637/raw/f94383f1dd6f0c29dd6595cd428b204cd48ea442/ewa_lanczos.jpg

gist.githubusercontent.com/igv/a015fc885d5c22e6891820ad89555637/raw/f94383f1dd6f0c29dd6595cd428b204cd48ea442/Krigbilateral.jpg

Does it need a premium account?
Can I use the custom shaders with plexmediaplayer?
nightlies.plex.tv/public-test/plexmediaplayer/public-testing/latest/

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/3744
So d3d11va-copy + ANGLE + opengl-dcomposition=no is the way to go for windows users now!

What is better?
1) af=drc=1
2) af=lavfi=[loudnorm=I=-16:TP=-3:LRA=4]

Well no, the ideal is still to leave hwdec off (the default setting) unless you actually need it (not likely on modern desktop hardware.)

Why should I switch from VLC to MPV?
Also can you chromecast from MPV?

I'm upgrading from version 9 to version 21 (turns out there are only 4 ebuilds on Gentoo and only version 9 was stable). How different will it be?

Mpc hc or mpv?

Meme filters are usually designed with no academic grounding in digital signal processing. They make the picture look superficially sharper at the cost of adding artifacts like ringing and aliasing, and obviously, they can't actually add any detail that wasn't present in the original source.

>Why should I switch from VLC to MPV?
You prefer command-line software to graphical software.
You're not satisfied with the picture quality in VLC.

>Also can you chromecast from MPV?
Nope.

is there a way to ouput to a text file something like what mediainfo does? maybe using print-text

There's a Bash script here that will dump information about a file using mpv:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/mpv_identify.sh

Any future plans for Android? MX Player and VLC are far from perfect.

I switched because the video scrubbing is god-tier. Basically instant, whereas VLC is pretty bad and laggy.

>adding artifacts like ringing and aliasing
lol, algorithms that were created mostly to eliminate those artifacts, are creating those artifacts, cool story there.

Behold the power of the internet

lmgtfy.com/?q=mpv android

I'll be honest mob is actually god tier. VLC had trouble playing my tormented bd rips and move just played them perfectly. I will recommend move to my friends and family.

What the hell am I looking at? Some info would be nice.

If you click on release you can find the apk

I don't even see that but, is it like... in the testing stages or something? I'm just wondering why there's zero info on the mpv website. Or anywhere.

Its a test build. Ive used it and it works well. Its fairly new.

Thanks for the info.

mpv if you like a minimal look and the ability to customize basically everything
mpc-hc+madvr if you run winblows and need muh gooey

Damn, runs like shit on the one vid I have on my phone (.mp4). Looks like it can't play files over a network either. I'm sure it will be a solid Android player in due time tho.

Touching the seekbar does nothing, i can't skip forward in the video.

Thats weird, videos run great and the seekbar works fine for me. But yea there is still a lot to be done as it is a test build.

On windows what is the local config dir? Like instead of the %appdata% one which is the path for mpv.exe dir/config/mpv/mpv.conf or something.

I don't doubt it's great on linux, but why would I want to use it over mpc on windows?

Just put it in the same folder as mpv.exe

yeah, I can't find where to change configs 2

Directly? Like mpv.conf right next to mpv.exe? What about the subfolders like lua-settings

Customizability
Its portable

I have seen a lot of configs for improving image quality, but do anyone have a fix for the UI?
I want scroll to change volume, not seek in time, I want to have more steps available for sound so I can get it just right. And I want the buttons to be of a reasonable size.
And where do I enable global shortcuts like pause?

Yes mpv.exe and your config in the same folder, right next to eachother lol
For your lua scripts make a subfolder in your mpv folder called scripts

VLC embarrased me and GNU in front of my friends.
Me and 6 of my friends were chilling. I was bragging on how Arch GNU is superior to Windows.
I downloaded it and ran it with VLC.
Out of nowhere it freezes and it freezes my laptop.
mpv just werkz.
Fuck VLC, avoid it like a plague.

Figured it out anyway.

If a directory named portable_config next to the mpv.exe exists, all config will be loaded from this directory only. Watch later config files are written to this directory as well. (This exists on Windows only and is redundant with $MPV_HOME. However, since Windows is very scripting unfriendly, a wrapper script just setting $MPV_HOME, like you could do it on other systems, won't work. portable_config is provided for convenience to get around this restriction.)

Recommended way of doing it.

put this in input.conf
MOUSE_BTN3 volume 2
MOUSE_BTN4 volume -2
you can make any keybinds you want

this is my ocs
script-opts=osc-layout=bottombar,osc-seekbarstyle=bar,osc-deadzonesize=0,osc-minmousemove=2,osc-scalewindowed=0.8,osc-scalefullscreen=0.8,osc-hidetimeout=1000
you can change the scale to whatever you want
now, RTFM

>script-opts=osc-layout=bottombar,osc-seekbarstyle=bar,osc-deadzonesize=0,osc-minmousemove=2,osc-scalewindowed=0.8,osc-scalefullscreen=0.8,osc-hidetimeout=1000
>not using lua-settings/osc.conf
Disgusting.

Whats better about it?

Dedicated config for those exact settings rather than loading them as options? I dunno seems more right, effectively the same though I suppose.

wats the best config ever made

Don't find weird artefacts...
madshi.net/madVR/NG1/clownJincAR.png
madshi.net/madVR/NG1/clownNG1.png

i'm using a windows vm on a friends' machine to do some video encoding, and i put mpv on it just to check things, but it's running slow as shit, video and interface is

Still has chroma bleeding, which your example itself displays quite easily. Look at the right edge of the white plate with the black border. Krig adds a fucking red line through it.

1. That example was made with an old version.
2. ewa_lanczos has a light pink line too.
3. Krig doesn't have a lot of color bleeding that ewa_lanczos has.

1. Doesn't matter.
2. Yes, but it's not as pronounced. If you knew signal theory ewa_lanczos is essentially perfect and is what scientific institutions use, so it's fine.
3. Completely false. The current version still bleeds like crazy on gradients.

Left is with Krig (using the igv shader from 3 days ago), right is without Krig.

Correct output is a white box with a blue border superimposed above a background with a blue gradient, not a completely blue box superimposed over a background with a blue gradient.

>Completely false.
Check you eyes. Krig has much fewer color bleedings. ewa_lanczos (read general scalers) is much worse. Krig failings are mostly invisible, while regular scalers are ugly as fuck.

I'm fine with that.

So completely incorrect output is okay. Good to know that you don't care about accurate video output in any way.

No, what's invisible are any benefits of Krig over regular scalers on anything with a reasonable chroma resolution.

Ha ha ha, this is "correct output"... OK

Yes Bilateral like algorithms always fail somewhere but SSimSuperRes is much better than just using a luma upscaler. It rarely rings, sometimes increases preexistent ringing but not that much now.

Forget about scaling and let's talk about user scripts. What are you favorite scripts?

Also lua is a strange language but surprisingly comfy for scripting.

Install SPICE to accelerate the GPU performance.

For me the ideal is dxinterop+auto-copy or now hwdec. I have a 970 and ANGLE adds a fuckton of latency, more than double

> (You)
>For me the ideal is dxinterop+auto-copy or now hwdec. I have a 970 and ANGLE adds a fuckton of latency, more than double
How do you check "latency" with mpv?

github.com/Argon-/mpv-stats/

In timings?

When will sourceforge builds be updated with the knob function? when will we get something like bitbucket builds again?

It already has on latest

>knob function
what's that?

How come it isn't working with osc-seekbarstyle=knob

How do you install it in Solus?

Will this ever be actually filled?

But KrigBilateral is faster than ewa_lanczos so we can't really compare them, maybe you should compare it with spline64.

What do you mean by this?

different gaps

See how the red is covering the entire bar?

I wonder how hard something like this can really be. Can't anyone just go their github and fix it?

new ui is shit, how do I get the good one back?

I think it's like that intentionally so there is room for the chapter markers. You could raise an issue I guess. mpv needs more issues nitpicking the recent OSC changes.

Yep. Good pull requests are generally accepted, though if it's just a matter of taste, it might not be.

osc-seekbarstyle=knob is probably the closest thing to what you want. Either that or install: github.com/torque/mpv-progressbar

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#i-want-the-old-osc-back

Been searching for a while but couldn't find it.
What is the most basic argument to play youtube video in certain quality?
For instance i want this video to play in 360/720/1080

mpv www.yotuube.link.com --youtube-dl-1080

>osc-seekbarstyle=knob

The --ytdl-format option is passed straight to youtube-dl. Something like --ytdl-format="best[height=720]" might be what you want (I didn't test it.) More info here: github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#format-selection

Tnx, seems there is all this yt "codes" for ceratin quality and formats (webm, mp4 ...).

Yeah, YouTube has a bunch of internal numbers to refer to different video formats. Actually, this link might be more to the point: github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#how-can-i-change-video-quality-on-youtube

Is there any way to get mpv to support the nfs protocol?

Aren't you just supposed to mount nfs filesystems?

I want to use it as an external player for Kodi. The way it works is Kodi will send the location of the file to the player as an arg which happens to be nfs:// in my setup. No I can't change how Kodi is set up, it's got to do with multi-platform support throughout the house.

Still no mpc-qt windows builds! :(
github.com/cmdrkotori/mpc-qt

You don't need mpc-qc on Windows becuase mpc-hc is already there and better.

What is this and should I Install it on my Thinkpad?

How?

Just get it from here
mpv.io/installation

Its a media player and its up to you

Yes but madVR is shit compared to mpv!

>Is there any way to get mpv to support the nfs protocol?

It needs to be added. We also need DLNA support.

Oh it's planned? Nice, nice DLNA too.

What exactly are you trying to do? Even if it's NFS, can't you just mount it and point Kodi to the mount rather than NFS? That way it should feed mpv a path through the mount with no NFS protocol.

>apt install

DLNA seems to be on the feature request list. Don't know about NFS.

>Even if it's NFS, can't you just mount it and point Kodi to the mount rather than NFS?
Maybe if you'd read what I posted:
>No I can't change how Kodi is set up, it's got to do with multi-platform support throughout the house.
You'd know I can't do that.

It's a universal database used as a backend for Kodi through the house. Changing it to use a literal path which used a mount point would break Windows compatibility. On the other hand Kodi can be used by pointing to nfs://bla on any platform, I just can't use an external player that can't take that protocol meaning I have to use the inbuilt one.