How can I resist the urge towards consumerism?

I have a keyboard that works perfectly well. Yet I wish to buy another. I know the enjoyment I will get out of that other keyboard will be fleeting.

I also do not even have very much money. I should save it and enjoy the peace of mind that comes from having money in the bank should an emergency arise.

But still, I am drawn to buy more...

Other urls found in this thread:

bad-dragon.com/products
theminimalists.com/
twitter.com/yokoono/status/797187458505080834
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

also the pic is a metaphor for consumerism pls no lock

One less bought keyboard - one less gained profit for Chinese.
Does this thought make you comfortable?

I actually don't mind buying off of Chinese ebay vendors. That's just some guy in his workshop taking apart busted laptops he got off a pallet. Rather buy from him than Amazon.

>I have a keyboard that works perfectly well. Yet I wish to buy another.
Tell me about it. Bought this one I'm using right now in 2009, and I've thrown it to a wall, thrown many punches at it in moments of rage, smashed it on the table and it even had it's fair amount of food and semen thrown into it.

Apart from one of those supports that make it higher that broke, it's still perfect.

Dell keyboards are unbreakable
>and semen thrown into it.
I hope you're meming

>Dell
I bought it for less than 5 dollars. And yes, actual semen. And food. I guess I choked on food and there's a chance that even milk and coffee went into it. Of course I clean it periodically, but still, yes. Actual semen.

>for less than 5 dollars.
I got it out of a fucking trashcan

Lucky you.

I'm a consumerist whore and I know it.
I get these strong urges to purchase something, anything really, every few months whether I need it or not.

I'm very good at saving my money and I am quite frugal, but every 3-5 months I just have to spend a few hundred dollars.
I think monitors are going to be my next purchase, then a graphics card shortly after to support my new higher resolution.

I kind of do the same, but overall I save the vast majority of what I earn. I really don't think it's too bad at all.

I really can't get behind why you need a higher resolution.
Got comfy with the screen size I use atm and seriously can't see the pixel having my head at my common distance. But well, I don't have very good eyes and don't play shooters.
I understand it regarding watching movies but I've a separate screen for that purpose.

Just understand that the feeling when you get a new product has been engineered by marketers. It is your own choice to buy for feelings rather than need though.

I started getting into moderately expensive watches, but I quickly realized that I was wasting my money and should seek satisfaction elsewhere.

>have 1 year old phone that's perfectly functional and working 100%
>only there is a horizontal crack right in the middle of the screen because I dropped it
>mfw I want to buy a new one

I know those feels. I was really thinking about a whole new computer build to replace the last one I made 6 months ago. I'm trying desperately to wait till like 2019-2020, but I'm already cracking.

Buy a new one and get a transparent case.

I'm almost certain I dropped it subconsciously to justify getting a new one

can't argue with those trips though, first thing tomorrow I get a new phone, too bad I missed the 11/11 sale in China

i just did that... but multiple times in the past seven years.

intel q9450 - intel 980x - intel 2500k - intel 2600k - intel 3570k - intel 4670k - intel 4790k - intel 6700k - and now an intel 6850k.

in between side builds for spare computer...
amd x4 945 build, m-atx intel 2500k build, amd 8350 build, and intel 6700 m-atx

video cards:
ati 4850 - nvidia 470 - nvidia 570 - ati 6950 crossfire - nvidia 670 - nvidia 770 - nvidia 970 - nvidia 970 sli - amd 390 crossfire - nvidia 980 sli - nvidia 980 ti - nvidia 1080 - and now amd 480 crossfire

sell, giveaway, dispose of all your keybaords
buy a realforce 104 key
never look back

just to go into more detail...

i could have kept the q9450 all the way till the 4790k or kept the 980x till now

side builds i could still be rocking the x4 945 just fine. i rarely use it my secondary.

video cards.... i could have easily kept the 6950 crossfire till now with the 480's.

now I feel better about myself
I went from a XT > 486DX2 > Pentium MMX 200 > Dual Pentium III 800 > some Athlon > i7 2600k > i7 4790k

That in a span of 25~ years and sometimes I feel I could have done better. You are mental user.
If it makes you feel better I got a macbook on 2010, got stolen a couple of years later, got a 2012 with insurance money that I still have and had a x220 a year ago. I honestly could live with only one laptop just fine.

do this, sell your current keyboard for as much as you can and only when you do that get a new keyboard. You'll feel better.

>tfw you don't get jewed into buying plastic crap
feels good man

>tfw have perfectly working T430
>want new razer blade with gtx 1060
almost went out and bought one on a whim today but stopped myself
saving for a house is difficult when you have a good job now and want to buy all the shit you couldn't when you were in school

do whatever you want

life's too short to have regrets

If I were a black or a gypsy or some shit like that I'd have a natural predisposition to abuse people and money but sadly I am white so I tend to chastise myself to be responsible with what little money I have left after paying my 60% tax rate;

Think of things as tools, not toys.
You don't need two of the same tool.

Yeah, live your life to the max buy wasting money buying pointless shit. Yolo!!!

are you telling me that my $300 razer ogre Ti 3930 platinum edition wrist rest won't make me happy

>Feeling joy when spending money

What's wrong with you? Spending money is painful. Are you uncircumcised or something?

A house is infinitely nicer than a bunch of shit.

A paid-off mortgage is magnificent.

>A paid-off mortgage is magnificent.
In a few years I will also know this feel.

just buy it bro you use it hundreds or thousands of hours in its life time it is a great investment for what little it costs.

this

learn to see things as the shit that they are

really what is a keyboard? it's plastic parts made from 5 different injection molds, a board and a usb cable.

That's what most chinese shit is; a board wrapped in plastic with maybe 1 mechanical part / unique part.

really it's just fucking evil

Do you say that about computer components too?

60$ for a chink mech is more or less 3 hours work. Didn't regret to throw away my rubber board at all.

>it's just fucking evil
The fug

It's evil because you are a glutton

I think the only way out is to change your buying habits to "buy what satisfies your CURRENT needs, and use it until it fails to do so or it breaks".

Current needs like food and shit? Like a stoic? Sounds fucking boring.

No, retard.

I want to go sailing snowboarding skydiving diving and shit. These aren't current needs.

Americans are literally trained that buying things will make them happy. It is hard to be a Vegan Anti-Consumerism Hippyfag in America when friends and family keep spending money on that thing they need and then stash it in a closet or throw it in the trash after a week and decide they need to lease a new car every 3 years.

>utilize adblockers so advertisers don't bother me online
>dress in non-branded clothing
>listen to college radio or my own playlist of stuff when I drive
>don't waste my fucking time going through shopping catalogs when I don't need anything

this is how I avoid being a consumerist whore. How is that so hard?

College radio is actually pretty good until you get to that one experimental music dj.

I hear you.
My college station has this raging turbodyke with a show once a week where she ONLY plays songs by female musicians.
Last week she played this thing from yoko ono where she literally just yelled AAAAIIIIIOOOUEEEEEEEEEEEEE for 3 minutes, I shit you not.

Most people have $1,000 in savings. A good portion don't have a savings account at all. Half of millennials have less than $1,000 saved.

I've seen people who work minimum wage going into debt for stupid things like video game consoles, computers, and televisions. I've noticed something. It's not necessarily that they're stupid, which they are, but it's a mental disorder. Their lives are "terrible" and they're trying to fill that void with anything they can. They're never happy. It's never over. On top of that, they end up being in debt and miserable. Reminds me of George Carlin. Spending money they don't have on things they don't need. They didn't even like it when they got it anyways. It's value drops and the next big thing is around the corner.

It starts with you. Be happy. If your mental health is good then everything else will be fine. It's all stuff anyways. Absolutely meaningless. Plus, most of the joy is from the journey and the fact it's so out of reach. Once you can afford it and have it, once it becomes normal, it gets boring. You're used to your lifestyle now, but somewhere around the world there's a child that can't even imagine what it's like to have running water and all the luxuries we have. Happens no matter who you are.

Most people would rather be poor by trying to look rich than to save money and actually be rich. That's why you see so many poor people with iPhones, not that I have anything against Apple. I remember before I learned my lesson... I had a couple thousand in my bank account. Wasted so much of it on stupid shit that I still regret. At my lowest point I had a few dollars in my checking and about $2 in my savings. Instant wake up call. I vowed never to be stupid like that again and I grew out of it. That feeling is one of the worst I've experienced in my entire life. It's REALLY not worth it.

The secret of life is learning to be happy with what you have -- in ANY situation. If you can realise how lucky you are at all times you have figured out the meaning of life.

Don't work or be poor. When you don't have money, you have no need to buy new things.

Please user, help me get over my current watch fixation. At first it was knives. I had/have a respectable knife collection consisting of 2-3k in folders and fixed blades. Now I seem to have figuratively dropped the knife hobby and replaced it with a watch hobby.
Why? Maybe because I felt like I now have a knife/or many for each niche I could ever need a knife for. But now I have the same feeling about watches. "Hmm I know I already have 10 watches, but now I just NEED a diver, since I don't have one, so I guess I have to.... Proceeds to buy more unnecessary watches".

Where can I get this satisfaction for cheaper? This can't be healthy.

I'm not saying you should live in a van and eat leaves for the rest of your life, but be happy. You can have vices or else you're not human, I think, but try to make them healthy or at least productive. You should "throw away" money to be alive, but like I said, it comes from within. Don't use it to fill a void. Use it as something you want to have because you like it, you know?

Like I mentioned before... Having a few dollars in my bank account was a huge wake up call that, ironically, was probably the best thing to happen to me because it forced me to grow up. Certainly one of the worst feelings I've ever had, but it's a good thing in the end. Like overcoming depression if that makes sense.

I learned to be happy then. I was happy when I was poor. I was happy when I got stable and middle class and I'm happy now with a lot more money than I had a few years ago. A lot more actually. The details don't matter, but I say it because I've experienced it all. Most of the joy is from the journey and because you can't afford something. It's so out of reach. Once you can afford it, it's not a big deal. Once it becomes normal to you, a lot of the value is lost. That's why you see so many rich people doing drugs or having issues. It's never enough. They always need higher highs.

Easiest way to beat consumerism is to splurge and make it hurt. I buy the best or the best I can afford and I'm proud of the fact that I own it.

Headphones for example I've since lost all interest since spending $1000 on hd800s.

Thanks for writing this user. I'm still fairly young (22 years old), but I've seen some of the stuff you mentioned first hand.

One of my "friends" in particular works min. wage and always buys some stupid shit on a regular basis. ie, a new smartphone "because I use social media a lot and need a good camera", a new graphics card "because I absolutely need to play this game on ultra", this anime figure "just because"

I don't really like meddling with people's affairs and how they spend money so I leave him alone. Regardless, I use him as an example of what to NOT do and I've been actively avoiding him because I feel like he's toxic to my well being. Sorry for blog shit, I don't really have anyone to talk about shit like this to.

Thanks for the quality post once again. Fantastic advice.

Anyway, back to OP's question. Find a hobby that will keep you busy and have a positive impact on your life. Personally I play a musical instrument and have recently started cycling. I have also started using my smartphone less, disabled all notifications except for calls. Great stress relief.

OKAY LISTEN UP YOU DUMB GENTILES

MY LAST NAME HAS A ROOT THAT IN SOME AREAS IS ASHKENAZIC SO I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

You need to funnel all your consumerism into one thing. You must become devoted to it, obsessed even.
It will be the vessel containing your dark energies.

As this is Sup Forums, the traditionally preferred object is a dragon dildo, of at least medium size.

bad-dragon.com/products

>raging at keyboard

Best post right here

Install gnucash.

Start tracking your income and expenses.

You can budget the keyboard you want (hopefully it's a mechanical one to replace some membrane crap, and it makes some sort of sense?) in a few month. The core idea is that income > expense, however.

>I have a keyboard that works perfectly well. Yet I wish to buy another.

I know that feel user. Mine is working perfectly but I think I should get new one soon.

Nah fâm, just clean it.

>just clean it

With what, fire? I could remove all the dust but the greass and fungus are other story.

How do you avoid consumerism when it comes to screens?

I mean that's what you are always looking at. And a good screen is expensive.

It depresses me to walk through the electronics store and see all those high-end devices with huge, crips, gorgeous screens.

Like the Surface Book or the 5K iMac.

Going back home to my sub 200ppi 1920x1080 screen just feels shitty.

Just go for a 1080p monitor, it's all you need

I went Q9300 to E3 1231 V3 last year and I hate myself for not waiting 1 extra year for DDR4/Kaby.

I have 3 Dell E2414Hs they are 1080P, TNs and only have DVI/VGA. I splurged on them after having 3 mix matched screens for many years and got fed up with them having different resolution and color reproduction.

Buying 3 screens at a time hurts the wallet alot.

They are all working fine and I can't stomach the price for 3 IPS Displayport monitors let alone high res or god forbid ultrawide.

All new cards are mostly DP so I'll have to get DP to DVI converters but I don't know if they will introduce input lag...

If you call "a gentle blow" cleaning, yeah you cleaned it.

absolutely and utterly disgusting

Realize that your need to buy shit is to fill that void inside yourself. No amount of shopping will fill that.

>No amount of shopping will fill that.

But at least for a short while.

Fucking females.

kekd

theminimalists.com/

Not joking, this helped me a lot. I posted this in response to the rolex users on the watch thread and they accuse me of shitposting, but I'm totally serious

I've spent over the past month ridding myself of most of my material possessions. There are two sides of the spectrum with minimalism - there are guys who become total hermits and forsake everything, and there are those who simply only own the things that need. I am not saying anyone should get rid of literally everything they have, and I am not doing that myself either. I am just gettind rid of everything I either do not need or that does not add value to my life.

Have you ever realized you have things that just sit in boxes, because they aren't being used? Get rid of what you do not need. I think when I am finally done I will post on /bst/ or something.

tldr, i'm not bulshitting anyone. When you realize that the possessions you have on earth actually control you, being liberated from them is an amazing feeling.

What if I have a gf but I still have a void inside that I need to fill with stuff?

Find fulfillment in what you do, not what you own.

>stuff

That stuff isn't gonna be a new keyboard. You know that, deep down.

The biggest problem I have is that I want to hold on to things I want to use for projects in the future.
And often I barely get to those projects and thus a lot of stuff gathers dust and I remain unable to get rid of it hoping to do the project later.

It's difficult.

>that itch in the back of your mind that reminds you of what all those abandoned projects could've been

Bought iPhone 3G using my hard earned savings during college, did not even had a job then. Cost me around $900.00. So much regret until now. Thanks to this thread, I will try to buy less useless shit this Black Friday.

>Cost me around $900.00

This doesn't even fit my head. I have a stable job (not an amazing pay, but hey, about 1300 dolaroos a month) and I just bought a redmeme for 130 dollars because it was on sale. My pc is a piece of shit intel core duo because I haven't been able to get the money after monthly expenditures + savings.

This was neat to read. Thanks user.

Sup Forums is for consumerism, video cards, gayming stuff, CPUs etc.

Fuck off you filthy hippies

I started noticing the pattern when I was 23 and I played video-games all fucking day. As I completed one, the other came by. Rinse and repeat. I started to feel empty. None of that fulfilled me anymore. Also, whenever I got something new (playstation, TV, new phone) I noticed how soon I took it for granted and stopped paying so much attention. That kind of dependency to objects irked me so fucking much I just stopped spending money on stuff.

That is not to say I am a happy guru with everything figured out. I'm still unhappy, but at least I know buying shit is not the way to actual happiness.

As far as I know, happiness comes from being with people, loving people and doing what you love (music for me, still trying to get over the need for appraisal).

>but every 3-5 months I just have to spend a few hundred dollars.
M8 that's hardly being a consumerist whore. Most people do that every 2-4 weeks.

Just buy one if you want it that bad.
Then down the road you will break it and decide to buy a 5$ one because wasting that much money on plastic isn't worth it

My situation is quite funny. I have amazing battlestation and such. But theres a violent degenerate on my living room couch that I can't get rid of. He has hit me multiple times. There's even been times when he drove me out of my own home and I had to sleep outside. I can't do anything about it cause he kisses my.moms ass and she sides with him. I Cant even move out cause I was a brain-dead consumer for so long. Nearly called the cops last night not even sure how that would play out. Plz halp.

Hit the gym.

twitter.com/yokoono/status/797187458505080834

So Chad is fucking your mom and beating you up? That's fucking hilarious.

It's my brother but yea he treats my mom like it's his gf, borrowing money, using her car etc.

Defuckingdegenerate, triggers me so hard

By not being an ameritard

>borrowing money, using her car etc.
That doesn't sound out of the ordinary or anything specifically limited to a girlfriend. Are you bitter that you don't have a good relationship with your mother?

Sounds like you're the lazy consumerist degenerate. Have you considered moving out?

I wasn't exaggerating when I said he's degenerate

I the exact opposite.

Everytime I buy one thing, I hope it lasts forever.

I bought a laptop last year for 1000$ and I hope it lasts 10 fucking years.

You sound jelly. Stop giving a shit. If he hits you or uses your stuff, just fucking hit him back, you fucking pussy

If you are not using an accounting tool (like gnucash) - do it.
It's free and gives you positive feedback for having a profitable month. I used to spend too much money on eating out, things I don't really need, etc. Now I'm much more frugal without needing for anything, really. Also I cook/prepare almost everything I eat myself, it's so fucking cheap, it's not even funny. Plus I know what is in there, which helps to avoid junk.

Continue as normal except at the end of the week you have to insert up your anus whatever you bought and only used once.
Your consumerism will be cured in no time.

You're on the tech board. It's already too late.

But now I want dragon dildos.

>I still have the 2011 ipod

Thing is only usable as a pocket watch now, but I aint throwing away until it flat-out dies.

Muscle memory is something you take for granite

Advertising is designed to prey on your weakness. Being a doggo controlled by a ring of a bell isnt fun. But you still do it to impress some retards on a board who probably are paid advertisers.

What if doing what you want is what causes you to have regrets?

Unless you're saying that I should stop feeling regret, in which case that is some seriously unhelpful advice. If I could just stop feeling feels, I'd stop feeling the urge to buy shit. Let go of my desires. Ascend to nirvana.
The whole problem is that I'm a slave to my urges and emotions.