Microsoft:
> Original Xbox didn't support DVDs unless you bought an accessory
> Pushed for HD DVD instead of Blu-Ray
> Xbox 360 needed a $100 attachment to play HD DVDs
> Abandoned HD DVD after it looked like it was gonna fail
> Makes pretty much 0 original non-gaming content
> Xbox One doesn't include a Blu-Ray player without a download
> Has literally no incentive to push for 4K beyond streaming services
> Xbox One S turns out to be the best 4K Blu-Ray player on the market, and the cheapest at the time

Sony:
> Knows that people bought the PS2 to play DVDs
> Knows that (fewer) people bought the PS3 to play Blu-Rays
> Makes plenty of 4K TVs
> Makes tons of Movies
> Sells 4K Blu-Rays of those Movies (Concussion, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
> PS4 Slim doesn't support 4K Blu-Ray
> PS4 Pro doesn't support 4K Blu-Ray
> Probably won't release another console for 4 years

What went so right with pic related?

It's a video game with no games.

I actually hadn't thought about it from M$'s end like that. There must have been some expense with including it that would have made the pro not a competitive choice.

Wonder how much of a loss the One S is selling at.

I think 4K Blu-Rays support is largely dependent on the drive and available processing power. I imagine production costs would stay the same or even go down since the One S is basically a ever so slightly faster One.

Sony just being Sony. They probably think that leaving out a 4k drive will increase the sales of the dedicated 4k bluray players.

And they are probably right. Most of those who have bought a 4K TV will buy a BluRay to accommodate it. Of course Sup Forums will just plug in their PCs.

Could the PS4's blu-ray drive feasibly be updated to play 4k BD with a firmware update?

Original PS4's cpu is too weak for 4k bluray and HEVC decoding. They probably have 4k capable hardware in Slim/Pro, it's a business decision if they will enable it in future

Not unless it's already BDXL compatible

It won't be the first time they've sold this kind of unlock for $5-10

Sony gives two fucks about gamers.

>Knows that people bought the PS2 to play DVDs
>Knows that (fewer) people bought the PS3 to play Blu-Rays
wew lad, FAULTY PREMISE

>thinking people would actually buy the Xbox One S for the 4K Blu-Ray capabilities

>optical media in two thousand fucking sixteen

What games can you even play on those things besides GTA clones and weebshit? Do either of them have Overwatch or whatever people are playing these days?

The original Xbox played DVDs just fine out of the box. The fuck are you on?

I replaced my htpc with an xbox one s, no ragrets yet.

I have a bunch of movies and TV shows in my plex library on the HTPC though. what would be the easiest way to access these on my xbox? was thinking about using the htpc as a server but I wouldn't use it enough. external HD attached to the xbox maybe?

The Xbox literally needed you to buy the DVD remote to play DVDs. You can't play DVDs with the regular controller like the PS2

>What went so right with pic related?

Nothing. Both pieces of hardware experience inexplicable failures. Planned obsolescence plagues everything post-sixth gen.

#PCMasterRace

DLNA-Server in HTPC?

Yeah or I'm pretty sure there's a plex app for xbox. just don't want to leave a server running all the time. maybe I could set it to wake on command.

>anyone on Sup Forums has a optical drive