/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

niceme.me
lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2016/07/msg00028.html
archwomen.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_space
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buzzword
dictionary.com/browse/workstation
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/workstation
gnome-look.org/p/1013798/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

install gentoo

^
ugly fat piece of shit
LOL

Ur mum is an ugly fat piece of shit
LOL

0_0
*closes this tab*

niceme.me

I'm using Arch Linux, if it matters.

Psst, hey HEY!

>newbie friendly, beginner distros, first timers
-Debian and its derivatives

>Professionals with intermediate Linux related skills
-Fedora, Source Mage, Slackware

>Expert hacking, top tier server usage, serious programming stuff
Arch, Gentoo

>Arch
>expert

stop shilling the fedora meme
if fedora would disappear, nobody would miss it
prove me wrong
"professionals" lel

bait
fish

Uh no? Here are the distros that doesn't make any difference and might as well disappear

>Slackware
>Debian
>Solus
>Gentoo
>Arch
>Void
>Alpine
>Bunsenlabs
>Hundred more distros that are not *buntu, SUSE or Fedora based

this meme is bad and you know it
why keep posting it, it's just illiterate cringe

>illiterate cringe
as opposed to what? literate cringe?
LMFAO

>why keep posting it
Because I like your trears

Why is Debian a SJW distro again? They don't announce that shit like it's their selling point. it looks more like they made a page as a containment board to solve the problem. I wouldn't switch for such a petty reason, I've been running it for almost 10 years now.

SJWs have invaded debian a long time ago

>debian women project
>diversity statement on their introduction to debian page

they have invaded every single distro but they have started showing signs of their presence in debian which means it is an sjw distro (since they liked it very much)

FUCKING SCREENCAPPED

>they have invaded every single distro
And left pretty soon as well whereas Debian is now an SJW hugbox

this

debian is actively pushing "diversity" and shit

Just wondering, what's your goal with forcing that "debian is sjw" meme?

i think they still have sleepers in most major distros but they aren't planning an offensive as of yet, well, according to my sources at least
but yeah, debian has already fallen and can never recover

>meme
It isn't
lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2016/07/msg00028.html

I was trying out manjaro with xfce in a VM today to see if I could get it to my liking; as I was considering putting it on a laptop. However this battery icon refuses to match the theme, everything else on the task bar seems to change except the network monitor and battery icon. How can I fix this?

if anyone can take debian seriously after reading this, you have some hard thinking to do
if that fails then a bullet to the head is the only solution

Xfce should have different power applets

It is, the whole community is full of mentally ill people, not only Debian. There are Fedora women, Arch women, Ubuntu women, whatever. Name a free software project and I show you sick people. It's just stupid to claim that only Debian is SJW. It's a small part of our community as a whole.

it has two; neither will change with any theme/icon package. Even the default ones that come preinstalled

install solus

Not even the one included in the indicator plugin? It must be a bug then.

Works fine here though.

No.

Install KDE Neon

t. debian sid user

he's not wrong
archwomen.org/

See

>/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

holy shit I just installed solus and it's the best GNU plus Linux experience I've ever had
incredible boot times, polished and smooth desktop experience

to with your collectivist mindset
i am neither friendly nor a thread

I Solus tried last year before you started shilling last week.

It's still slow AND glitchy as fuck.

This.
I don't get why Solus is hated here.
It's the best distro for sure.

>holy shit I just installed solus and it's the best GNU plus Linux sdasjqwjel I've ever had
>incredible boot times, rqwerqweerqw and 43123fdse desktop sdasjqwjel

what?

>early signs
LOL
it's already terminal here buddy and you are probably autistic as well if you felt the need to point out shit this obvious

what's even the point in spotting autism early
does it help?

probably putting you on some kind of meds early on to make you subservient to the [CENSORED]

yeah you can treat it if you start early

Can someone explain the difference between linux and GNU?

I understand that the GNU software uses the linux kernal to run and is known as the 'user space'.

Is grep, cp and other basic terminal commands part of the user space or is that linux? What is NOT the user space?

What's the original image? It looks like fun.

>Anal insertion looks like fun

Yes, and it's got a timer. That means it's doing something? Is it medicine, what is it?

Anybody used puppy linux or slax?
I need to use something that runs from USB in a live-session with persistence.

What would happen if I used too much RAM? will it create a swap file on the USB?

I just need it to compile some android games made in ren'py.

I tested Solus out today. The repos are absolutely barren, and the DE is depressingly uncustomizable. But it was lightning-fast, so if it weren't for those problems, I'd seriously consider using it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_space

how do I safely email rms? I assume that if I use my gmail account he will track me down and beat me up until I value my freedom and join the fsf which I do not want to do :(

1. email from a trowaway
2. license your email under gpl
3. pray

just killyourself now if you are even remotely serious

Was it deleted because it's manjaro?

Log out, log back in.

What is the linux alternative to eMule?

>keep trying to copy/paste text from browser into vim for minutes, trying everything
>close vim
>look at hostname in prompt
>i was trying to copy to a remote computer over ssh

Is it just me or his finger is really going somewhere inside of the girl?

Correct me if I'm wrong here:

The major differences between workstation distros are primarily desktop environment, package manager, what additional third-party software comes with it, and what versions of the linux kernel that the different releases run. Some especially autistic distros are generally more up-to-date and configurable. Some specialized distros have additional security features and what not.

That's it? You autists literally make a hobby out of arguing about desktop environments and package managers?

Is there any reason a professional not actively developing the linux kernel should ever use anything other than ubuntu/xubuntu/fedora? And even when picking between those, shouldn't this be a relatively unimportant, 30-minute decision that only marginally affects how you will actually use your system?

First of all, only retards argue about distributions.

The core principles for choosing a distribution are: release schedule, package manager and package philosophy (patching and licensing practices). According to that, there is only a handful of distributions to choose from. Steering a away from those is idiotic, because you're getting your water downstream, when it's already polluted and pissed in.

Also, don't use buzzphrases like "workstation" or "professional" in this case. No one will take you seriously.

amule

I read that's where the human vagina is.

Also, don't use buzzphrases like "buzzphrases " or "buzzwords" in this case. No one will take you seriously.

Epic reply right there

But should it be open like that?

>buzzword
>: an important-sounding usually technical word or phrase often of little meaning used chiefly to impress laymen
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buzzword

Workstation means nothing. Is it a station (computer) on which I do work? Basically, every computer ever. Professional? Look up what professional means and find a way to apply it to a distribution. If you bend the definition and shoehorn it into this context: how is Fedora "professional", when it's community ran?

dictionary.com/browse/workstation
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/workstation
I can also pull dictionary definitions at you. Delete your post.
>how is Fedora "professional", when it's community ran?
It could be ran by a "community" (nice word btw) of "professionals.

top kek
Ian should have taken down entire company with him

how would i see if i have xcomposite installed?

Then why is that all you people talk about?

Also workstation and professional are not buzzwords. In this case by workstation I mean non-server and non-niche (e.g. tails), which is an obvious and important distinction. And by professional I mean someone using linux for their job (e.g. developing software).

Not buzzwords, use cases.

install solus

So it has occurred to me that using Linux is basically like being a member of the communist party. Should I be seriously considering moving to BSD?

If you started equalizing software with political movements BSD should be a perfect OS for you.

Is there an Arch like BSD that is actually active (unlike PacBSD).

openbsd

Is this a ruse.

I like to think that most of us are here because we all like gnu/linux. Really though, I'm in denial. Most people are here to shill their own distros.

why would it be a ruse?
what qualifiies a distribution to be "arch like"?
Poor packaging standards? Having to manually install the fucking thing?

With BSD you have the latter for granted.
But BSD maintainers don't like "poor quality" in anything they do, so don't expect the full "arch like" experience.

>what qualifiies a distribution to be "arch like"?
Rolling release with something similar to the AUR available to expand the package pool. Obviously the more packages officially in the repo the better but you're never going to get them all.

>Poor packaging standards?
lel

The closest thing to rolling release on mainstream BSD is FreeBSD.

>Obviously the more packages officially in the repo the better but you're never going to get them all.
BSD = no software, unless you port it yourself.

If you seriously consider switching from Communist Linux to BSD you should accept this at this point.

>The closest thing to rolling release on mainstream BSD is FreeBSD.
So FreeBSD isn't similar to Debian in its ancient tier software then?

>BSD = no software, unless you port it yourself.
>If you seriously consider switching from Communist Linux to BSD you should accept this at this point.
That's fine, I don't know much about BSD yet except their license, I'm willing to learn. Does BSD use Xorg? Like how smoothly can you move to BSD or does comfort go out the window.

>Does BSD use Xorg?
Yes. Graphical environments like XFCE and KDE are supported on BSD.

>Like how smoothly can you move to BSD or does comfort go out the window.
Out of the window. First and foremost you should check whether it will work on your machine at all.
The hardware support for BSD platforms is extremely poor.

>Graphical environments like XFCE and KDE are supported on BSD.
i3?

>The hardware support for BSD platforms is extremely poor.
That's quite strange.

i3 should work.

>That's quite strange.
It's a niche platform from the family of niche platforms. What's strange about that?
The only vendor of BSD-based computers (Apple) deals with only a handful of hardware components.

How come? Have I become a member of the communist party without even knowing it? Please open my eyes.

Then everything is a professional distro. A baker, is a professional. If a baker contributes anything to a distribution, it's a professional distribution.

None of those workstation definitions apply to only certain distributions. They apply to all.

You should read the GPL.

>non-server
A server is any computer which is serving other computers things. If I install an FTP server on Tails, Tails is a server. You can install the same packages on a "server" distribution and "workstation" distributions.

He's meming about GPL not adhering to his own personal definition of "freedom", which is closer to the anarchist definiton of freedom rather than a libertarian one.

>Seconded.
>Thanks for bringing this up
Let me second this real quick with a compliment lol! Maybe she likes me in my daydream now! :)
>As the person responsible for this bug, sorry, and:
>Seconded.
Shame on you. You will not be forgiven.

One person offered a timid "I don't really see the point but I'm not a native speaker" objection.

One person said no. He was put in his place by
Sam:
>Did something change since 12 years ago, when you agreed to join a project that advocated gender-neutral language in its best practices and had a Debian Women initiative?
and Neil:
>Personally, I hope that it passes with a 100:1 margin, and encourage all voters to approve this GR with an overwhelming majority.

That one guy really violated their safe space

Pretty much. It wouldn't be wrong to say this. If you want to be more specific just add something else to professional to change the context. Or if you aren't a social retard just infer the context from where you heard it. Chances are if it's being discussed on Sup Forums it has something to do with technology. Then narrow it down by thread, like if it's being discussed in /fglt/ it probably has something to do with the subject matter of the thread.
These are just some general rules to follow though so don't expect 100% accuracy

>not using the best GTK theme ever
What's your excuse?

gnome-look.org/p/1013798/

There are three versions of it if I'm not mistaken. Which one should I read and why should I even read it?
>rather than a libertarian one
There is no other definition which is logically consistent. Positivist "freedom" is bullshit.