/sbc/ thread

Single-Board Computing Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.nextthing.co/accelerate-your-3d-gaming-with-quake-iii-on-pocketc-h-i-p/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 currently running as a home file server, amongst a few other tasks.

I get the impression that the network and the USB sharing the same bus is severely limiting the speed that tasks are being carried out at. For example, I tried to use it as a TimeMachine backup (inb4 lol macfag) and it was taking days to backup my Mac, so I cancelled it.

Currently copying about 5Gb to the Pi and it's currently saying that will take around 30 minutes, though changing a lot.

What would be a recommended SBC that could have a full network and usb speed? Must run off 5V! No odroids needing 12V.

I have a RPI3 what another sbc can i get for around the same price but better?

Sounds like there's something odd about your pi. Are you using a slow SD card or running it on a busy wireless connection? I easily get 10MB/s on mine running FreeBSD. I use it as a seedbox, and then copy files off it via scp.

Orange Pi > Raspberry Pi

Please list what hardware you're using with it.

It could be bottle necked at the USB port, also check resource usage while you're copying and see if it's maxing out the CPU.

The files are not being copied to the SD card, they are being copied from a wireless Mac to the Pi's ethernet connection and then going to the USB slot.

I know the speed of my Mac's wireless is not an issue (copying Mac to PC is just fine).

The Pi has a gimped USB/Network shared bus, so performance of this is always going to be subpar.

Western Digital USB 2 hard drive (externally powered).
Pi connected to a Gigabit switch, connected to a Netgear router.
Files coming from a wireless Mac.

Top is showing that 80% CPU is being used by smbd and mount.ntfs+

I'm googling reviews for the Orange Pi, seem very hit and miss. Some love it, some say it's weak.

i prefer working gpio

>SoC intended for low end budget smartphones from several years recycled
>usually only has a single USB 2.0 port because that is what is used for charging the device
>USB 2.0 shared accross the entire board via a hub
>shit ethernet bandwidth shared with USB
>need to buy SD card which is both slower and slightly more expensive than SSDs
>shit proprietary CPU
>shit proprietary GPU
>shitty proprietary GPU driver is needed for booting
>no dynamically discoverable hardware
>lack of UEFI/BIOs means you will have to create an image with a specific device in mind
>above means you will be dependent on manufacturer support or a strong community centered around a specific board or do everything yourself
>no PCIe
>no sata
>no m.2
>no ECC RAM makes it unusable for any server workload including clusters
>need to buy power supply seperately
>when you consider all additional costs like SD card, USB charger, network equipment to connect multiple devices then you will see overall shit performance/price ratio even when its looking at the $20 Orange Pi PC2.
>above excludes additional costs needed to scale your software to work on several dozen small devices instead of a few big irons with a high availability mechanism.

It would be cool if they supported at least ECC RAM, perhaps even swappable RAM. SATA ports for HDDs and SSDs.Perhaps a centralised redundant PSU to save space. Obviously at least 1gbit ethernet.

Oh wait Xeon D does all of the above. There's a reason why intel is at the top of the datacenter market with their 99% marketshare. They deliver consistently every year.

Right now the only advantage most ARM servers have is 10gbps ethernet directly integrated into the SoC. Otherwise who wants to program and 90% utilize 32 slow as fuck cores to barely break even with low end intel xeons.

It's not like the ARM server companies differentiate themselves despite the bad products by implementing have hardware acceleration for common server tasks like gzip compression.

Can I play minecraft on the orange pi?

I highly recommend a raspberry pi and a half decent DAC with volumio. Airplay+Music streaming on a lower power device is great for house parties where you don't want your phone/ipod getting stolen.

Have an Orange Pi PC downstairs running 24/7 as a server. Might repurpose it for something else though.

C.H.I.P. got an update recently that enabled 3d acceleration and bumped onboard flash from 4 to 8 gigs

blog.nextthing.co/accelerate-your-3d-gaming-with-quake-iii-on-pocketc-h-i-p/

nice botnet

Banana pi hurr.
Ive been working on a cluster for data mining.

Which Orange Pi do you have?

Simply epic
Call him a cuck as well

How much of a difference does ECC RAM really make?

The first model of the PC. Got it around October 2015. It's running the modified version of Armbian server that fixes the problems with the stock images, there's some weird setting in the stock image that caused two of the processors to shut down constantly.

What do you feel is long-life support for that?

Is there enough community/long-term support/non-specific parts that mean it will continually be updated?

I instralled raspian recently and finally got the thing all booted, running, connected.

>sudo apt-get update
>sudo apt-get upgrade

The CPU has been at 100% and packages have been updating for half a day now...haha.

The support from the company itself is shit, I'm mainly relying on the support done through the Armbian forums. It's already begun to move on to the newer/flashier Allwinner H5 boards that are starting to be produced now. The Pi PC 2 was released just this week.

need mo ram fo dem programs

That entirely turns me off it then. I'd want something that I can effectively, set and forget. If I have to worry about how I can get the latest updates, that would be more worrying. Unless I have a Pi be internet facing and the Orange Pi be shielded from the internet and only accessible from the local network, but that's a bit dodgy and an extra faff.

I just got bbb for free and tried to use ubuntu+dump1090 but it seems really slow. Has anyone tried to interface bbb to ADC with SPI etc?

Can I play minecraft on it???

Minecraft Pi edition yes