/SQT/ Stupid Questions Thread

/SQT/ Stupid Questions Thread

Old one hit bump limit.
Any babbies first primers into online anonimity and/or file encryption?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131673),
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lysesoft.andsmb)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ever since I installed my new GPU (newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131673), I get random crashes where my entire screen (just my main moniter, not the 2nd moniter) turns green, sound loops/have to reset. But when I've gone and tried to find the cause, I just find people saying "it could be one of these 8 things" which doesn't help much. Yal know what this is?

Is this true?

Might very well be a faulty contact. Apparently people "baking" their gpu's on low heat for like 5 minutes in the oven and fixing it is a thing.

That sounds like a really stupid idea, though I can see why it'd work. Should I contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement?

Ethical consumption doesn't exist outside of poverty.

Try it in a Linux live desktop using just the regular fbdev/DRI or Nouveau drivers. If it doesn't happen then, it could be driver problems. Who knows.

I have a laptop with Nvidia optimus and i cant disable the Intel HD graphics, is to my understanding Nv Optimus uses the Discrete graphics card only on demand, how does this work? everything seems to use HD graphics because it is the one that is actually connected to the display, does it uses the 100% dGPU if it is needed?

Why is everything cool on Google Chrome?

There's a whole bunch of guides for all kinds of tech on the InstallGentoo Wiki, but I don't think I saw anything about buying TVs.

What should I look out for?

I want to buy a 40 or so inch TV for my bedroom, second hand, but there's so much variety that it gets confusing.

Anyone been in the market for a TV? Any tips?

As far as I can tell, Smart TVs are total shit and I should just get a simple media stick.

Any help would be appreciated. My price point is about $200 for used.

answere

Is it safe to use different partitioning for disks(such as a MBR boot SSD and a got storage HDD)?

There are Vulkan drivers for intel GPU?

Should I join Imzy?

When I am putting my computer to sleep, does anyone know at which point I can assume all disk I/O has stopped?

Reason I ask is I set up a script for my Echo to put my computer to sleep, silence my phone, and then 10 seconds later turn off the lights in the room, for when I want to go to bed. The 10 second delay is because that's when I can be reasonably sure the computer has stopped any activity that might be going on on the noisy enclosure that also gets turned off with the lights, but if I can safely do it as soon as the screen shuts off or something then I might rather shorten the delay.

Have an i3, 500-watt PSU and 4 hard drives. Wanna buy a new graphic card. Without upgrading power supply, what video card should i get? 1060 or 480?

How do you download 60fps videos with the gui for youtube-dl? I know how to do it without the gui, but it's a bit annoying when you want to download multiple videos at once.

Why the fuck haven't they added the -f bestvideo+bestaudio functionality in the gui yet?

well looks like I'll have to open my computer to check on some of the cable connections
any precautions I should take here?

Don't wear wool socks and shuffle around on shag carpet beforehand

is raspberry pi in any sense a good choice for HTPC?

Can they do x265/HEVC, or at least high bitrate x264 1080p video streamed from a network drive? Don't need 4k.

HEVC will be iffy, might do 720p
It should work fine for x264 video due to hardware decoding support.

Can I utilize the heat my PC makes and use it for something useful?

Heat your home in the winter

so just get mpv and that will hardware decode, or is there something else?

you'll need to compile mvp with rpi support

neat, thanks.

I'd format and reinstall windurrs with fresh drivers. Avoid any audio drivers and install the onboard audio drivers related to your mobo.

Running Ubuntu Gnome, how do I sort out the dirty cow fix? As in, what command do I run?

thanks

Is it safe to think I should stay clear of AMD powered HP laptops and go with jewtel 6th gens?

Why is everything hot on Microsoft Edge?

The only sure option is to infiltrate Intel Israel offices and leave with formulations and procedures documents.

I'm 24 and I just got my first "real" gig about 2 months ago, after graduating from college with a degree in mathematics. I'm starting to feel like I may not be cut out for a career in software engineering or web development. I enjoy what I do (which is hardly considered "software engineering" anyway, more like "entering shit into a database and occasionally writing some tests or patching up some code"), but I feel like I'm moving at a snail's pace, and it will take me quite a while before I'm at a "professional" level. Am I way behind, professionally? Do I really even have a chance of having a career in this industry when I'm just barely starting now and struggling?

Probably not. The gradient is too little.

Didn't really know where to ask this, but is mobile data seriously that fucking expensive in the freeduhmzland? Just heard an ad on LTT: "only 10 dollars per GB of data". I pay an equivalent of 20 USD a month for unlimited phonecalls, sms, mms and 16,8GB of data here in Slavland

Bandwidth is cheap, it has only gotten cheaper since 2010. If they arent making 1000% profit on a megabyte, they will suicide.

This post is a stupid question?

Depends on carrier and if one carrier has the monopoly.

Can I transform an Odroid (or a Raspberry Pi) into a router? How do I get the antenna thingy? What software to use? Etc, etc.

Yes.

AMD run hot and are inefficient as fuck.
Intel is efficient and somewhat balanced.
And HP always uses shit cooling for a)Planned obsolence b)Jewing out c) Both.

The only reason you should ever consider a HP laptop is when you need a cheap laptop with heavy graphics since intel IGPUs are really weak in comparison to AMD APUs.

Exist a good mega drive emulator?

What about ProBook/EliteBook?

Elitebook is good, probook, not so much.

Stop posting this autist

This, how does one go about finding a good tv?

What is the best application in Linux to mimic exactly or very close to the Windows 7 taskbar?

I find it annoying to use anything else.

>AMD run hot and are inefficient as fuck.

Whisker Menu seems pretty close.

Ubuntu Unity or dmenu?

I don't mean start bar, I mean taskbar dock.

Although I do love me my whisker menu.

The previous thread died before people could finish helping me, so I'll repost my problem here.
On any flavor of Ubuntu or Mint that I try, the English (US) keyboard layout makes the backslash/pipe key output < and >. Am I missing something?

This has been a thing for years user, you know its true.

Hope ZEN changes things, i really want a laptop with a good IGPU.
They are supposed to be efficient as fuck.

But for now, AMD sucks for laptops.

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND SELECT A DIFFERENT KEYBOARD LAYOUT. THE ONE YOU HAVE. UBUNTU'S INSTALLER PROMPTS YOU FOR THIS. IT HAS A "DETECT KEYBOARD" OPTION THAT YOU SHOULD USE BECAUSE *YOU* DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE

I want to reach my external HDD on my PC from my phone. I don't want to download anything really, just stream some videos over it.

I used ES File manager before, but it became shit. Any other recommendations?

Except no other keyboard layout comes anywhere close to the actual keyboard I have.

There is no good tv.

And "Detect keyboard" gave me English (US). I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad, if that helps.

What's a good Laptop for a roughly $500 budget? I want something at least somewhat powerful but withow much safricize in the battery life and good compatibility with Linux.

As shill as this sounds, just get a Samsung TV.
You have to test them yourself.

I rephrase this question:

Best Android app to reach Shared windows files?

this is what my hdd looked like half an hour ago
now its working again
faulty cable or dying hard drive?

Jesus why don't you guys leave your fucking drives alone, you know it ruins it every time you run your dumbass sperg stat tests?
It's like how checking your credit score lowers it, fucking newbs I swear

the USB ports in the front panel of my case fucking suck, for example: the wi fi adapter disconnects when I plug the headphone. Are the ports on the back supposed to be better than the ones in the front panel?

Highly probable its a bad cable, try a different one, they are cheap.

The point when a HDD doesnt show SMART info anymore its when it dies but yours is showing it again so its working.

Also ignore the other reply, just bait.

Yes.
Still its irrelevant and shouldn't do that.

I mean you comparing ports on the Motherboard and a front. The MB is going to be obviously better (altought the differences are minimal)

But maybe it wasn't plugged in right into the MB, you should check that

Is life really worth living?

Can you install Windows 10 on an xps 13 or inspiron 7000? I'm worried about if the drivers will still work

No, but death is a thing not worth dying for

Only a woman could come out with that crap in OPs pic. By "power", I guess she means 'authority'. By authority, I guess she is subconsciously speaking mainly of herself; thinking she's an authority over truth. Sorry princess, you don't get to define anything, let alone truth. This reeks of some feminazi friendly, feel-good claptrap.

yes

#MAGA

that is not a woman thing, it is a mom thing. Not all women have kids, y'know

What I've used before is an app called CifsManager, tried many others and they didn't work well for various reasons but this one always reliably managed to mount my shared folders, and from there you can use whatever file manager you want to fuck with them.

I can access my FTP servers on my local network
via local IP
but even though they're port-forwarded I can't connect via global IP

>Not all women have kids, y'know

No shit. Do you know who else usually subscribes to the faulty logic in the cartoon? Feminists and SJWs. What else do most of these have in common? They seem to be single and childless.

windows 7*

Though it appears it's been removed from the Play Store. You could probably track down an apk somewhere, or try something similar. At a glance AndSMB (play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lysesoft.andsmb) looks similar to what I remember, though I can't guarantee it will work as well.

is 8 GB enough disk space for a xubuntu install?
do i need a lot of swap if my laptop only has 1 GB of ram? it wouldnt be able to run a lot of shit at the same time with this CPU anyway.
also could i store ANY linux programs in a NTFS filesystem and have them still work?

Windows 10 64 bit

Still newish gaming PC stuck in infinite automatic repair loop

Up until recently it was just getting stuck on the windows logo loading screen 50% of the time and I had to keep cycling the power. Now it's stuck. Certain it has something to do with Windows updates but nothing I can do about it now

Pls help. Every single computer I get ends up suffering from this and I'd really like to avoid having another expensive brick on my hands

run zenmap on your WAN (global) IP
intensely
check if the ports are actually open

Is it dangerous to have a smart plug just a LITTLE bit askew in the outlet? The fucking power strip in the slot underneath it doesn't leave enough room to put it in, but it's only just barely not in all the way.

I would think the grounding pin would alleviate any potential arcing issues from being slightly loose in the socket but is it still bad? These things are more expensive than I'd like so I'd be sad if it got ruined by this, or burned down my room or something.

Repair or reinstall windows with a W10 bootable USB.

Your windows partition is fucked.
Also you might want to check your HDD because that doesnt happen just because.

Its not really safe but not dangerous.

maybe the HDD is dying. also why would you use win10 of all things? unless you NEED dx12 to play your favorite game it makes no sense.

run some HDD/ssd health program.
if thats not the problem, try running PerformanceTestV9 /full test and you might see what part of your system is underperforming or broken

just got hit with low virtual memory and need to bump it up. what's the ideal recommended virtual memory size for 8GB RAM? isn't it double or something?

this desu

Berenstain Bears ;)

It didnt doubled, W10 for whatever reason has lots of memory leaks.

Do a system restore.

Nmap scan report for Wireless_Broadband_Router (WWW.XX.YYY.ZZZ)
Host is up (0.0054s latency).
Not shown: 990 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
21/tcp open ftp
22/tcp open ssh
23/tcp open telnet
80/tcp open http
443/tcp open https
992/tcp open telnets
4567/tcp open tram
6667/tcp open irc
8080/tcp open http-proxy
8443/tcp open https-alt

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.12 seconds

all looks well, yeah?

Checked but doesn't exist...

Anyway corollary question: would it be stupid to shave off just a tiny bit of the plastic on the plug part of the power strip so that it will fit properly? Just a tiny bit on the circled part here. Don't want to shock the fuck of myself when I try to plug it back in though.

Accidentally ordered W7 x32 when I built it and didn't feel like paying more, W10 was the best way to upgrade to x64 for free

I missed a T.

Why not just install W7 x64 ultimate instead?

A millimeter or two would probably be fine, don't blame me if you kill yourself though.

Breeders are not very intelligent though.

Why does Game Boy Pocket cost more than Game Boy? Shouldn't it be cheaper because it's smaller? Is Game Boy Pocket a meme?

Is Windows 10 still unfixable cancerous spyware? My old Latitude crapped out on me, and I don't have enough money for a new one, and don't trust refurbs.

I'm getting taught Java at college, but the pace is very slow. What is a good language to learn simultaneously at home?

C++
both are object orientated

>Why does Game Boy Pocket cost more than Game Boy?
sold very bad

rare

C++
or learn something on the other end of the spectrum like common lisp

What's that one extension that lets me right click on Youtube videos and gives me an option to play the video in mpv?