Jevin's Paradox and the web (and other technology)

If you were to put all the resources used by one of the largest BBS systems, Rusty and Edie's, in to one machine you would end up with a computer with a 3.1 GHz (single core) CPU, 16GB of storage, 375 MB of RAM, and 128 lines, and would pull 140 amps, as well as dehumidifiers and air conditioning.

Today that system could be replaced with a single-board computer powered by solar panels.

But now major websites (the modern BBS) consume entire warehouses and gobble up as much power as a small town, and it's estimated at 'the internet' and all associated technologies consume at least 15% of the entire world's electricity.

And with a move to an image and video heavy consumption of entertainment, and script-heavy interactive pages, it looks only set to grow once 4K becomes the accepted standard definition and people stream over 4G (uses 20x the power as wi-fi).

What's Sup Forums's opinion on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw.lite
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What's Sup Forums's opinion on this?

We're consumers; we don't deserve one.

It has to stop. Seriously, the state of the web is cancer right now. HTML5 plus a bit of css would be ok, but the massiv amount of js and tracking is horrendous.

OP wasn't talking about JS or tracking.

>"And with a move to an image and video heavy consumption of entertainment, and script-heavy interactive pages, it looks only set to grow once 4K becomes the accepted standard definition"

The problem is that Sup Forums is just as bad as the "normies" who they hate. Normies love their JS heavy interactive pages and Sup Forums loves their HD video.

Yes, Sup Forums buying a new computer every year and saying "anything less than 64GB of RAM is poorfag lol" is just as bad as normies and their smartphones. In fact, I'd say it's worse since Sup Forums should know better.

The very line of reasoning that Sup Forums often takes ("hardware is cheap") is itself an implementation of Jevin's Paradox.

Jevin's paradox? How about the luddite paradox:

If you put together all of the BBS systems and looked at what they actually were used for (circlejerking), it would be as irrelevant as one person's deviantart page.

Today you still find luddites trying to live in the 80s because they somehow don't get the fact that you can still get along with a C2D from 2006 for $25 but insist that the web should stick to as it was in the 80s because "muh im better than u".

really hard to buy into this when your "recommendation" is we just drop video and even images. I guess that's because you can only jerk off via text.

>The very line of reasoning that Sup Forums often takes ("hardware is cheap") is itself an implementation of Jevin's Paradox.

Nah, Sup Forums are just lonely consumerists who think their sik "battlestations" and riced desktop fills the empty void in their souls.

Sup Forums doesn't actually care about technology.

>If you put together all of the BBS systems and looked at what they actually were used for (circlejerking)

this. nothing ever changes. redboxing died in the early 80s, and _still_ people publish articles on it. it's the same old shit.

>luddite

Strange how people who want modern tech to be more efficient are luddites, but people who just want bigger looms are the people on the side of progress.

>the web should stick to as it was in the 80s because "muh im better than u".

Actually it's because the web was designed to give "universal access."

But I guess blind people can get fucked, right?

And internet advocates love to talk about how uplifting the web is, then will make it too heavy for developing countries to be able to access.

But yeah, we're just luddites. There's no philosophical, environmental, or moral argument to be made here.

>luddite

Are you a share holder? If not why do you want to force the upgrade of billions of dollars of hardware?

>If you put together all of the BBS systems and looked at what they actually were used for (circlejerking), it would be as irrelevant as one person's deviantart page.

There were BBSs for medical and political information (especially in countries with censored web, but not phones). There were local BBSs for organising meet-ups. There were Fido-net BBSs for sending mail worldwide. There were BBSs for trading home-made music and art.

>Today you still find luddites trying to live in the 80s because they somehow don't get the fact that you can still get along with a C2D from 2006 for $25 but insist that the web should stick to as it was in the 80s because "muh im better than u".

Again with the "luddite." Why does it benefit you so much that expensive hardware must be routinely purchased.

>really hard to buy into this when your "recommendation" is we just drop video and even images. I guess that's because you can only jerk off via text.

A lot of people use the internet for discussion and trading information. This is still done with text. It is what we are using right now.

And research in to what Jevin's Paradox is. Spoiler: advancement is implicit.

Content != boilerplate/scripts/other tracking junk

Further, diminishing returns in regards to fidelity with audio and video exist.

My point is you're an idiot, leave my board and never come back you fucking normie faggot.

The content is fucking worthless and you know it. A dog with a pizza box on its back? That was worth sending out in to the world. What amazing times we live in.

>diminishing returns in regards to fidelity with audio and video exist.

Irrelevant, the numbers are bigger so we'll do it. And generate literal mountains of e-waste just so we can. Again, see Sup Forums buying a new computer every year because "128GB of RAM will look great in the battlestation thread!"

> leave my board and never come back you fucking normie faggot.

You're the one defending turning the internet from a document exchange platform to a TV channel.

bbs evolved into forums. some of the software still has "BB" in the title but you'll say it isn't the same because it isn't shitty and doesn't have 12 users, works over any browser, isn't circlejerk-centric, and isn't designed out of letters.

Forums literally are a web BBS.

And how exactly do they prove me wrong in any thing I said?

Just use gopher you fucking faggots.

gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw.lite

Skip the web bullshit and have content and information properly segregated in a proper hierarchical fashion.

Gopher is great. I'm actually quite an advocate for it.

>You're the one defending turning the internet from a document exchange platform to a TV channel.

Welcome to modern Sup Forums, where the battlestation threads are just consumerist showing off, where there's a "smartphone general", where people show off their gaming PCs then when you point this out to them reel off some bullshit about HD video rendering.

Usenet is just for piracy, if you listen to modern Sup Forums.

The technology board that will decry "bloat" before then saying "unused resources are wasted resources," thereby allowing for bloat even more.

Or to put it another way: Sup Forums is an entire board of Sup Forums casuals.

>Sup Forums is an entire board of Sup Forums casuals.
This is unfair to Sup Forums. The type of gamer that annoys Sup Forums is not welcome on Sup Forums either.

>128 lines
Of what?
>and would pull 140 amps
Kill yourself

lines
>Of what?

It's a BBS, what do you think the "lines" are?

Looks like you're not so smart as your "kill yourself" jibe implies.

>BBS line
>being a spec of the underlying computer as implied
Continue killing yourself