What kind of jobs does Sup Forums have or want to have?

What kind of jobs does Sup Forums have or want to have?
Programmer, software developer, web designer?
What do you guys do for a living? Is it related or unrelated to Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BWsAQsydzR4
yzoak.co/
learnpythonthehardway.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Artist.

gigolo

Web developer.
Ruby on Rails backend with Angular.js front-end. Trying to move towards more backend 'stuffs'

The startup I work at is pretty small and I want to work somewhere with more problems with scaling their web services.

Been looking into Rust and Golang... Not sure which I want to learn.

Do you sell paintings or design things?

Nice

Do you work for a company or take requests?

I make the salary at the startup I am at now.
I also have a contract with a smaller pre-seed startup.

I actually took off my day job because I thought I had contract stuff to catch up on but it turns out they're disorganized and I finished my tasks in two hours.

What kind of education do you have?

Dropped out in March of this year.

What were you studying?

No. I just like the idea of being an artist.

Web dev here.
I was a successful freelancer but then about 2 years ago, I tried to kill myself. Battling depression ever since, my wife supports us. I can't get a new job because of the employment gap.

shit sux. anyone need a web dev?

Actuary

Want: systems admin, network admin
Don't ever want: programmer, “devop”, web dev, etc.

Med student here. Would prefer to study something programming related though but it's too late.

I was halfway through my first semester of computer engineering.

.net + js developer (web and desktop)
hope to finish shitty IT studies after year

Senior in hs, going to RIT for infosec,so I want a job in that

I'd like to be a web graphics designer / video game developer. I want to make my own game. Too bad it's way too complex for me to make (would take 10 years). Don't know what to do/ how to do it. My school only has a mediocre computer science program.

What schools did/do you guys go to?

You dislike studying medicine or just like programming more?

As a currently employed web dev for a company where we mainly make sites for customers in Joomla / wordpress so they can just manage it themselves once design and code is done.

How does web Application dev look like? Every time I ever made a web app it was a shitty looking thing that usually just served up api end points for mobile applications /desktop applications.

I work in Rails so it is mostly Ruby code. All interactions with a database are done with ActiveRecord (Ruby ORM)

Our front-end looks really nice through.
The backend just serves as an API for the angular front-end. We also have a few "microservices." Does that answer your question?

Its fun.

In school for cs while working at a coffee shop
In my free time I study cs
Kill me

It sounds it. I'm bored with making company websites... But it pays the bills.

kek
Yeah, I live in the mid-west though. I want to branch out. Everythings relative I suppose.

I live in Eastern Europe.
Working for an American web dev company brings home the big bucks.

Writer

I am a cs student and make pizzas for money
I lurk here pretending like I know what everyone is talking about

I'm a junior web application developer (c#, .net). 4 yrs experience in IT. This is my first dev job. Prior to that I was a project manager/sales person (front-end web development startup).

Currently make minimum wage as help desk 'technician' for my university's IT services. It's ok, but I definitely do not want a full time job doing anything like this.

I honestly don't care what my official title is as long as I get to work with the tech I like and/or get to work towards the tech I want to work with. I don't even care if it doesn't pay well, I just want something that's somewhat low stress and let's me learn and progress.

What I don't want is technical support full time. Like I was interviewed a systems engineer position that was offered relocation assistance. After the phone interview they downgraded it to 'technical solutions analyst' fancy word for customer tech support. No thanks, and even if I do take that I'll have to do that shit for a solid 18 months before I could get a pay rise and the chance to switch positions.

I'd like to get into automation, work with go and/or python, but from the almost nonexistent responses I've gotten from my applications it seems like I might be better off just shooting myself in a year.

I'm the frontman of the warranty/repair/service department a ~40ish employee company.

We sell computers, computer parts and computer related accessories.

I work with 2 other peeps in the department, they handle basic "my computer is broken, fix it" and basic PC building, I'm in charge of parts testing, sending them to importers/manufacturers for RMA and most of the email we get. I usually handle customers at the reception desk, but it is a shared duty just like answering the phone is.

Basically my days consist of parts testing and doing warranty swaps for customers, any bigger projects concerning us, I also built our two display rigs running Oculus Rift and HTC Vive in the store for clients so stuff like that usually get run by me.

I've been playing with hardware for almost 20 years for fun, so my job, albeit low paying, suits me nice.

>tfw my two young redhead coworkers laugh at my dick jokes

Help desk sucks big time user. Been there, done that.
But on the other hand with such experience you can get similar job at some big company and change positions (it doesn't always take 18 months; you shouldn't tell them about your plans instantly of course).
That's the way I landed my 1st dev gig. Did help desk work for 6 months until I got a chance to switch departments.

First year uni student, I don't work

No, it legit takes 18 months minimum. I read plenty of glassdoor (they have >1.5k reviews), all of them state that they were hired for [x], didn't get a pay raise until 18 month mark and were then offered to switch if they want to.

I primarily don't want to do it because it's few states over, I'd have to uproot everything, deal with moving, then pass there 6-8 week academy program (which if I don't pass I have no job), and then I'm stuck there for 1.5 yrs doing something I dislike.

I already have my degree and have done plenty of programming and shit on my own. I really just want to get an entry level or junior position somewhere so I can get started, I don't want to go from minimum wage shit desk to full time shit desk, it honestly would only make me want to shoot myself more.

Ex pizza bro reporting.

An old retired IBM guy once told me to stay in pizza. I laughed until he asked how much changed in pizza in 50 years vs how much has changed in computers.

If I could own a shop, I'd go back.

My title is "Business Intelligence Architect", which is vague. I do lots of things.

Mostly C#/.NET backend data integrations, database administration, and development of reports/dashboards.

I love it. I've got plenty of free time to experiment with whatever I want. I might start integrating MS Cognitive Services or IBM Watson with our data to add some "cool" factor to the reports for our clients.

Spent part of yesterday programming silly things, like a racial slur generator, and a Trump quote generator. The idea is that it's practice with API integrations, text generation, and webscraping, so it's not entirely useless.

Deliver pizzas instead, making them is shit in comparison pay wise.

For the love of fuck join sparsa. It will help your so much in your career.

cs student with scholarship to finish 2 years at a community college. I want to get into IT stuff but my parents won't let me have a job until i finish college.

Get something on campus, you can make a little bit of money and they'll be flexible with your hours.

That or apply for some internships, don't fucking graduate without some part time job(s) or internships on your resume or finding a job will be a huge pain in the ass.

>only 4 months into college
>everyday i become deader inside
is this how its going to end, g
i dont want this
someone please save me

H-highway patrolman

If not I'll probably be a shitty computer repairman

I see. Given the circumstances it's not worth it.
It may be hard to get an entry level programming job at big company without proven programming experience.
If I were you I'd apply to some startups (web dev perhaps). The hiring process is faster and they pay more attention to personal projects (at least in my experience). That could be a good stepping stone. If your degree is computer science (or related) you have quite an advantage.

Trucker. Used to fix computers and install internet then realized it's a faggot job that won't pay well. It's still a fun hobby.

IT

Plan is to sneak into the the back door of the engineering field a la network engineer.

>network engineering is engineering
What?

Startups don't exist here. They just don't, my area is honestly one of the worse possible places to be for tech jobs in general. All we have is about a handful of tech companies, one aircraft manufacturer and IT work on base (which you need a clearance or sec+ for). Other than that it's pretty much impossible to get started unless you know someone.

In fact the only way I got an interview this past month was because my friend was nice enough to recommend me before he left. So now I'm sitting and waiting to hear back today or tomorrow if I have a new job or not.

If I don't get it I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do. I'll have to pick up sec+ and probably do on base because moving doesn't appeal to me unless I am getting a substantial check to help offset all the effort of moving. That's not going to happen though, like you said, no one wants someone unproven. I don't blame them either but I'd like for places to at least talk to me for the entry level positions I've applied for. Tired of getting denied without any feedback.

In the sense of
>[vague job descriptor] + engineer

Title in and of itself can go a long way.

I want to get into marketing/advertising
I like the power rush from knowing someone bought something because of me

I suppose I'll go around and tell people I'm an architect.

Surely they won't get the wrong idea.

Freelance web dev / uber driver

Don't quit college guys

bruh I'm talking about getting laid.

Is the official job title "network engineer"? y/n

Hope you'll get this new job shortly. One way or another, best of luck user.

Best is programmer, which you can also do for the web in the form of web apps.

-Most money
-Can work remotely
-Frameworks make this a joke
-Nobody cares if you're in the office except for a few days out of a month when you're testing with them
-Can go start own company making apps
-Almost zero phone calls
-Can make program such that people are unable to fuck it up while using it, unlike IT where people throw and kick their PCs and then don't tell you
-Get to be "real" boss of the company and tell people what they can and can't do electronically in the form of the program's rules
-Literally build own client base and get called years later and get paid to make small changes

Brogrammer is even better.
youtube.com/watch?v=BWsAQsydzR4

I want to work in non-profit helping craft policy that's environmentally friendly.

uh yeah no

public funded places like government is all crybabies and bullshit

they have HR departments 3x as big as the entire rest of the organization

public sector is literally sjw sector

Code monkey working on an information system of the biggest real estate agency in the country.

shit bro...

Ive considered starting my own buisness instead of going straight into what the field of what im studying

pizza it is

does it suck?
do you make a lot of money?

I'm a support engineer and partially programmer in my company.
Yes, it's related to Sup Forums, but much, much more advanced.
>implying most people on Sup Forums are even mature

very related
I'm a professional NEET

>does it suck?
It's alright I guess. Lots of shit to get done though.
>do you make a lot of money?
Not particularly, but I'm pretty green still.

I am a programmer at Gameloft

I work for a past-its-prime company on their new big data as a solution team

It's starting to get annoying being one of the only 2 "competent" programmers. Rest of my team is pajeet, diversity hires, and some cocksure hipster who think he's hot shit. Only one showing promise is the other new hire who's a little too humble for his own good.

I don't hate it, but the directionlessness of the project is getting annoying.

To be honest, I miss my old job doing support tickets fixing web apps. I like fixing things, but not necessarily building things from scratch. Once this gig is getting tiresome I'll probably jump ship.

Stop releasing shit games

I am a manager at Gameloft

>Programmer, software developer
That is the same thing.

Embedded systems engineer!

Still a student. Hope do I find out about different areas I could go into?

I'm doing software engineering and embedded/hardware cs at the same time because software engineering was too easy.

How much of a meme am I?

Application Security Tester

haskell programmer

walking meme desu

Hopefully. Thank you for kind words.

Projectionist

I'm OK with it currently. Pay could be higher.

I have the same story at my job. Everyone is absolutely useless, we have the diversity hires that are so slow and need help with absolutely everything, the hot shot hipster who laughably puts "senior" into his linkedin title despite having only a year of experience (personally and professionally) and the 8-5 monkeys who write nothing but shit code. Sadly the company has such a uselessly hierarchical structure that I wouldn't know who to talk to about these problems if I really cared to. It's not like they would listen anyway.

Does anyone actually check Linkedin? I don't think I've ever met anyone who go through the door with an "impressive" Linkedin profile.

No. It's a platform for old guys to show off, a fancy profile means jack shit if you screw up your interview or do shit work.

>fellow BI bro

Sup

What would you suggest to someone looking into Rails with no previous experience?

who FED here?

Rust is fucking awesome. Go for it, you won't regret, pal.

Working as a store security guard right now. It sucks, but I've got plenty of free time to do Sup Forums-related shit.

translator :^)

I will either get into technical writing or start making my own shitty apps or programming related.

Studying Physics now, changed from Comp. Engineering last year because it was boring af and I'm more interested in CS anyway.

I've been learning to code since August. I never considered myself an 'arts and crafts' guy, which is what I've always related this sort of thing to, but I just want to make useful things. Never had that desire before.

A guy at a hackerspace in my city has apparently founded this company: yzoak.co/
I'd be interested in just helping them fine tune their stuff. They're offering non-paid 'founders' positions atm. If I was a little more experienced I'd do that.

I'm about to buy an RPi and use it to help voice control lighting, and as an alarm clock. A surprisingly very few people have actually attempted this. The main guy that comes to mind actually uses an Amazon Dot, which is proving to be a challenge in itself.

I'm amazed at how overhyped these digital assistants are. Speech-to-Text seems to be the main barrier to entry, and I think everyone besides Google is using Nuance. It's a physical, paid form of the digital assistants on our phone.

I went to an all day event introducing Pepper the robot, which was even more of a joke. It's a digital assistant in a robot, designed to act like a little girl lol, that can't move. The hands are purely meant to gesture with.

It's probably a good time to get into both robots and AI.

I've been working at Target for the past month lol. I explicitely want a part time job so I have more time to focus on learning to engineer / for me. I'm 24. Starting to question whether or not I'll ever be as successful as I always assumed I'd be.

One thing that's encouraging is the devices we use to manage inventory. There's a ton of room for improvement with the software that would save time. Computer imaging can be used to count the number of items left above a barcode. I'm convinced that if George Hotz can make car autopilot in his garage, computer imaging for inventory count would be cheap and quick to develop. This cuts down on labor costs and eliminates the number of items that people forget to restock.

Formally application developer (Java, Python, C++).

Realistically more of a project manager. The department bloated to the point it needs dedicated person just for scheduling and communication with the rest of the infrastructure. Turns out I'm the only one around here with both passable English and some basic social skills, so I've been volunteered.

I would like to get into research eventually. I don't care for money (as long as it's at least two times national median wage), I want to work on cool and exciting things.

You can be developing software without being programmer yourself. It's normal for bigger teams to have dedicated people that don't actually produce any code yet are still part of the development process (eg. architects, testers, front-end designers).

you ever fuck up any shoplifters?

I work at Walmart.

social/political/economic management combined into a single position is the dream job.

I just started learning programming myself (27) what language are you learning and what resources are you using? Python and "Learn Python the Hard Way" for me

Udacity for basic html, css, python, and a few random things (debugging, unix).

Javascript via Eloquent Js, Codewars and google.

Soon to be Raspberry Pi for Python / unix / general computing

And I go to meetups.

Are you neet? What is Python the hard way and what have you done?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to at least get a decent job at the end of this but I hate the fact that I've wasted so much time. The end goal is just to enjoy life, so I'm going to try to do that now while I learn. I start training for boxing tomorrow at a gym and I'm starting to buy some clothes. Our 20's are almost over. I need to get laid and paid lol

When I was a kid I would hear 'dot com millionair' and not have any idea what it meant other than alluding to a time of easy money. I remember being around 10 and feeling regret for having missed out.

And now? We're going through the largest startup boom in history and whether or not it's passed its peak (I think it's just getting started) investors aren't just going to pack up and go any time soon. There's still time to carve a piece of the pie.

There are women out there that aren't particularly smart that have gotten funding and built successful companies.Women don't even play videogames in the same league men do.

In any case computer technology is the place to be. The technlogies of tomorrow are in their infancy today. Join that shitty robot startup now and you will likely be an exective at one of the first geniune robotics companies.

I felt like ranting today for some reason.

I worked at Walmart a couple months ago

Did a semester of CS and it wasn't really my cup of tea, dropped out after that semester and have been pretty for NEET for half a year now.

I got accepted, and I'm pretty keen to start studying Data Science next year. More statistics/math orientated than just pure CS, but still keeps some of the interesting elements in.

Also I've heard that Data Science graduates are very, very successful in finding employment and quite highly paid once employed as well.

Any Data Science grads/proffessionals here? It is quite a new major so I doubt it

>tfw programming used to be connecting wires and holepunching punch cards for 5 days just to make a hello world program
>tfw all i do is type on a keyboard and use an IDE
software was a mistake
i should've done electronics like my uncle instead of falling for the programming meme

wow, you're really going all in. I've been working full time in a management position at a non-profit, but I hate it, and since it's a non-profit, the pay is weak.
Learn Python the Hard Way is book for people with no previous programming experience, although you can read it in its entirety for free on the authors website, learnpythonthehardway.org/ . I basically just read it and do the exercises for a couple hours a day after work. It's pretty good, the only caveat is that he teaches python 2.
I realized very late that my 20's are ending, so I'm paying catchup. I'm not looking to be a startup millionaire or anything, though, I'd be happy with an upper middle class life. So I'm just learning python to get a foundation in programming so I can go back to college and get a second degree in a tech related field. Still a long ways off though. Good luck to you!

Graduated a Technologist degree in Electrical Engineering 6 years ago. Been hopping between bullshit IT jobs since then and getting sick of it.

Currently unemployed. Learning Java and planning to go to University next fall to get my bachelors in software engineering.

Professional shitposter