Slackware

What Sup Forums think about Slackware?

Other urls found in this thread:

porteus.org/
slax.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Manual dependency resolution isn't nearly as difficult as other anons make it out to be. Once you get past that, it's a nice distro if you're looking for something less bloated than *buntu or Arch.

Slackware is the first distro I successfully managed to install, so it was my introduction to GNU/Linux. Since I just recycle older harder instead of buying new machines, I rarely have any chips on hand with PAE support or whatever other features are needed to boot other distros, which of course is why Slackware worked out of the box for me.

Interesting piece of Linux history, but doesn't serve much of a purpose now.

It is a nice system, but not feature-rich or customizable to the degree that more general and more specialized distros are.

not oldfags, just wannabe oldfags.

literally do nothing in their distro, claim it's "stable" because you can't add anything to it.
then whenever you mention you need the most basic software, it's "everything you need is on the CD" and anything over that is disregarded vis a vis holier-than-thou pretending to be some old 80s beard and insisting you should drop using those services.

not unemployable, irc circlejerking, retro turds, but pretending to be unemployable irc circlejerking retro turds.

(You)

:^)

(no argument)

Using it right now in fact, albeit a derivative. Great as a disposable OS when rambooted.

There is a chance that the next version may not be Slackware based, however.

Seems I read somewhere that Slax uses a really stripped down version of KDE that's actually lighter than most lightweight DEs.

As for other Slackware derivatives, Salix OS is pretty nice. I've used the Fluxbox version off and on.

Zenwalk has automatic dependency resolution, although I don't care for Xfce.

porteus.org/

that is far better. fork of slax but can do so much more. carry it around on a 512gb flash drive whenever i travel.

I had a problem with x, i go IRC to ask some of leet slackware haxors they ask me did a made a full installation (whole set all dvd), i said no just xfce and packages i want, they fucking rage at me and ban me :D fuckin bloatware shitty distro no one will use stupid slackware shit.

(You)

:^)

Just a stable boring distro for NT

Some of Sup Forums wil hate it of course, because you can't fix what is not broken
Is this a Sup Forums reference?:

It's lightweight alright, but KDE4 is still a pig of a DE. KDE3(3.5?) on Slax6 was a beaut however.

Tried that once, but it wasn't as well made as Slax. Although that's probably because Slax is released as a stable version once every 5 years.

slacko 64

So, there are no real reasons to install Slackware instead of other distro....?

When you suggest to install Slackware instead other distro?

>So, there are no real reasons to install Slackware instead of other distro....?

Different distributions fill different niches of the community. Slackware is probably more suited for people who want a very base system they can build upon, as opposed to something that might be designed around the assumption that you're going to be using the software with a specific approach or purpose in mind.

To be more specific: Let's say you installed Ubuntu. All you needed the system for was Web browsing, but Ubuntu happens to come preloaded with tons of dependencies you may never use, shit like social media integration, a fancy DE with extra bells and whistles that gratuitously eat your RAM, etc. Slackware doesn't do this. At least not by default. It's a base system - a sandbox. You mold it according to your needs and preferences.

Now, with Ubuntu, that may not be possible. You might think you could just remove the parts of Ubuntu you don't want bloating your system, but it's not that simple. Ubuntu contains a lot of interwoven software and dependencies, and attempting to remove any constituent parts might break things. Why should you have to go through all that hassle in the first place? It would arguably be easier just to build onto a base system Slackware until it meets your needs.

>using the smiley with a carat nose
>using the smiley with a less than nose

An Ubuntu minimal installation allows the user to do exactly the same.

Not exactly. Ubuntu is going to force you to use certain packages and variables regardless of installation type. I doubt Ubuntu's minimal installation allows you to have any other init system than the bloated systemd.

Bloated. CRUX is better.

no it doesn't, ubuntu doesn't satisfy the "im better than u" niche. C2D is $25, the resources meme was valid in 2004 so the only ones left now are cs dropouts who want to pretend to be superior to everyone else

ok,..but if I need a "non-bloated" distro,...I can install Arch or something like that instead of Slackware,...is it better for do this?

Useless piece of shit. The Linux community can do without it JUST FINE since slackshit gives NOTHING back to the community

why you say this?

Use it with pkgsrc or Slax.
slax.org/

Slackware does not contribute to the Linux community, it never did.
Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, SUSE Linux are trying their best to take linux computing further by actually developing stuff. What did Slackware ever do. It's been there for ages. It survived so long but yet to achieve ANYthing. Much like a cockroaches that survived ice age but never really obtained anything meaning full like Dinosaurs or Mammoths.
This might hurt you but Slackware community is a poison that Linux has no use for. What did they ever contribute to? Developing/contributing to BTRFS? Snapper? Kcraft/Kernel hotpatching? FreeDesktop? GNOME? KDE? Wayland? Mir? Snaps? Flatpak? LXC containers? OpenZFS? OBS? Convergence? KVM? High-end Xeon (or instanbul) support? GRO? Systemd-ui/kcm? KIWI?

I'll tell you what slackware ever did: Bitch and moan about systemd - because bitching and moaning is ONLY what Slackware is good for. It's pathetic and has a negative effect on the community.

I think we should completely exile them, they can move to BSD or some other garbage.

Argument: Those who are comfortable with older hardware and programs that fulfill their needs and also remind them of comforting memories pre-2000 enjoy slackware.

Addendum: Those posturing like you described are worthy of ridicule. Furthermore if the user's requirements exceed what slackware can provide and they try to justify the shortcoming they have no one to blame but themselves.

t. nostalgiafag

Also

The slackware userbase is just as poisonous: they never did anything productive because they are too busy in going to online forums to show off their manual dependency management skills instead of getting real things done. They'll BLINDLY follow what their cult leader do: use an abandonware bootloader and preach its superiority over any toher bootloaders, or sperg about how vanilla their distro is.
When they are asked why they use the distro they ALL will give you the same brainwashed, mindless response: "Because of stability".
The users seem to forget the simple fact that Slackware does NOT fix ANY (again: ANY) upstream bugs. So if there's any bug in x-org or gtk, those packages will be just as buggy in Slackware as in Ubuntu. They just seem to forget that Slackware isn't more stable than other distros with the SAME bugs that causes instability.
Some of them will claim "Slackware doesn't have distro specific bugs"
However as I write this Slackware has had total of 35 security vulnerabilities: 9 of which is DoS, 13 remote code excecution, 10 Overflows, a memory corruption, a login bypass and 3 privilege escalations. (CVE details)

Now I know what you are thinking: "I should put my feet on the backpedal and claim it has ((less)) distro specific bugs"
Excuse me? I heard slackware is a "vanilla distro". If it were SO great, why are there vanilla bugs. If you are comparing to distros that are ten times more usable like ubuntu, I'd trade those bugs with usability and productivity. Ubuntu has paid, professional maintainers unlike an unemployed community of hobbyists.

Thanks for your opinion

But everything you need isn't on the CD. That doesn't mean it isn't bad.

It's not stable because you "can't add anything to it".

You can add anything you want to it, and that isn't why it's stable.

Using the word holier-than-thou when you're acting holier-than-slackers is pretty autistic.

From the last sentence, I'm assuming this is bait I'm replying to but whatever.

Yes because Arch packages are bloated.

Botnet

It's loads better than Debian ever will be, and has ever goddamn library you would ever need to compile software. Just use sbopkg or even slapt-get and you'll have a good experience. Currently my favorite distro over void.

Slackware is in decline. Kludgy package manager needs its own version of tar. Now Slackware has pulseaudio. It's not as stable as it used to be.

Did I hurt your feelings?

Do you have downs or just autism, retard?

Thanks for the fresh pasta holy shit

No I have a job unlike you

its outdated but well respected

based CRUX