FFS! SERIOUSLY???

>CVE-2016-4484: Cryptsetup Initrd root Shell

>A vulnerability in Cryptsetup, concretely in the scripts that unlock the system partition when the partition is ciphered using LUKS (Linux Unified Key Setup). The disclosure of this vulnerability was presented as part of our talk "Abusing LUKS to Hack the System" in the DeepSec 2016 security conference, Vienna.

>This vulnerability allows to obtain a root initramfs shell on affected systems. The vulnerability is very reliable because it doesn't depend on specific systems or configurations. Attackers can copy, modify or destroy the hard disc as well as set up the network to exflitrate data. This vulnerability is specially serious in environments like libraries, ATMs, airport machines, labs, etc, where the whole boot process is protect (password in BIOS and GRUB) and we only have a keyboard or/and a mouse.

>Note that in cloud environments it is also possible to remotely exploit this vulnerability without having "physical access."

>Am I vulnerable ?

>If you use Debian or Ubuntu/ (probably many derived distributions are also vulnerable, but we have not tested), and you have encrypted the system partition, then your systems is vulnerable.

hmarco.org/bugs/CVE-2016-4484/CVE-2016-4484_cryptsetup_initrd_shell.html

This shit just keeps on happening. I'm losing faith.

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/911320-cryptsetup-vulnerability-allows-easily-getting-to-a-root-shell
phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/911320-cryptsetup-vulnerability-allows-easily-getting-to-a-root-shell/page2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>linux
>anytime
kek

I don't use cryptsetup

>Note that in cloud environments it is also possible to remotely exploit this vulnerability without having "physical access."
To clarify (since they have not) - you can remotely exploit this vulnerability if you have KVM access.

that only applies to people that are retarded enough to not put grub on a seperate disk as their /boot and getting a root shell without being able to decrypt the drive is pretty much useless unless you want to be an asshole and delete everything

ATMs, libraries and airport machines NEVER use disk encryption

> >This vulnerability allows to obtain a root initramfs shell on affected systems
I doubt it can be called a vulnerability.
1) You have to have an unencrypted /boot with keys to load an encrypted partition
2) While you can encrypt /boot w/GRUB configs, Linux kernel and initramfs still must be decrypted before booting further, in that case keys might be stored inside an initramfs image. You can't avoid that, you'll need to start somewhere.

Minor security risk they can get into a root shell but since your partition is encrypted they can't have access to it but they can extract it and bruteforce it(and if you are not an idiot and use a strong password they can't get into it).Oh and they need physical access to the machine. And it's a Debian specific patch so it only effects Debian

>open source
>vulnerability disclosed
>vulnerability fixed
>patches immediately available

>proprietary software
>pester vendor about the issue
>threated to publicly disclose it within a 2 week deadline
>vendor doesnt respond within 2 weeks
>publicly disclose vulnerability
>popular newspaper covers vulnerability to raise awareness
>get shit on on by internet retards that think you didn't responsibly disclose the vulnerability
>vendor finally pushes out update after x months

So what, you can get a root shell, and? You can't access the data.
Anyway,
>debian
Not even once.

The only security risk is that somebody modifies the boot partition to gain root access when the owner logs into the compromised machine.
Maybe they should also encrypt the boot partition.

>todays news on Sup Forums
>major code execution vulnerability on servers
>to execute the attack the owner of the machine must have logged in to the machine but forgot to log out while not using it
>if the attacker can gain physical access to the machine then they can do almost anything they want
>a root exploit is also possible if the owner used sudo recently

man linux security is such a joke

>And it's a Debian specific patch so it only effects Debian

If you actually paid attention to the article you would know Fedora is affected also. Most likely many others are also.

No if you paid attention and read other articles it doesn't effect fedora you illiterate faggot
>The researcher asserts it affects Fedora. That is not true. The Fedora doesn't ship the problematic patch. You'll get a debug shell if your boot fails *and* you didn't setup a bootloader password. But in case you didn't secure your bootloader, there's an easier way to get a shell really...

source: phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/911320-cryptsetup-vulnerability-allows-easily-getting-to-a-root-shell

>No if you paid attention and read other articles it doesn't effect fedora you illiterate faggot

LOL. So I'm the "Illiterate faggot" for actually reading the OP's linked post and not *your* article which you probably looked for *after* the fact? Fuck off you fucking dense nigger. Talk about trying to save face. You obviously were fucking illiterate yourself and just had to get some "second opinion".

From OP's article for (You), you fucking degenerate:

>Update: We have found that systems that use Dracut instead of initramfs are also vulnerables (tested on Fedora 24 x86_64).

Actually read next time? Yeah. Piss off into your safe space you faggot.

From your link on page 2:
>phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/911320-cryptsetup-vulnerability-allows-easily-getting-to-a-root-shell/page2

>Further note: In Dracut, failure to open an encrypted root device will force an initramfs shell no matter what cryptsetup does, but that is dracut's behavior on not finding root and can't be changed by changing cryptsetup

Get fucked.

No manual entry for 'linux security is such a joke'

>being this mad
kek
>You obviously were fucking illiterate yourself and just had to get some "second opinion".
Yea i take everything with a grain of salt and i had to look for more answers you dimwit
Never said anything about NOT getting a shell you are going to get a shell(from the quote i posted) there are other ways to get into a shell than this one btw ex: booting into root shell by changing grubs parameters to 1 (forgot exactly what else you have to change but yea)
Enjoy your (You) pal :^)

tl;dr

You're wrong and were proven such, even from your own link. kek. Just proving again, you should actually pay attention.

Now fuck off. You ain't worth my time.

Top kek. Linux has no games and has shit security. Looks like windows 7 master race wins again.

This isn't even an issue, honestly.

It's no different from hitting 'e' in grub and typing 'single' into the kernel options. If you have physical access, root is practically guaranteed. That's why these people have cryptsetup in the first place.

>using gentoo
>kernel made especially for my computer, no initramfs/initrd needed and created

ooga booga

Is this even an issue if you don't use grub?

This is what i'm saying but other retards just don't understand

It's definitely not serious, Linux is still safe, the only thing an attacker can do is destroy the system and delete all the files (as long as the system is encrypted, otherwise it's open season lol!)! Year of the Linux desktop guys!

Malicious software can be installed in /boot you fucking idiots. This can also be access remotely on servers hosting linux images under certain circumstances.

Not to mention laptops that regularly get left unattended in work scenarios. FFS.

Sup Forums Literally full of idiots.

if you have physical access than you already can physically remove the drive and get the same access, or physically destroy it.

whats the big fucking deal

>Malicious software can be installed in /boot you fucking idiots.

No shit Sherlock.

>Not to mention laptops that regularly get left unattended in work scenarios. FFS.

Again, no shit Sherlock.

>Sup Forums Literally full of idiots.

You're currently in the lead, dumbfuck.

DELETE THIS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Get a load of this faggot.
What a retarded cunt, he clearly does not know jackshit.

Linux doesn't have malicious software, you turd burgling windows shill.

Sheeeeeet, you are just a bit less retarded than the faggot you quoted.

y-you too

Wow, Jesus Christ.

>almost 2017
>not offloading disk encryption to a RAID card
linuxfags btfo

Isn't that a little optimistic?

>trusting an OS created by literal neets in their basements
lol

It affects CentOS as well

Even with grub password

fugg

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

I don't really give a fuck desu. I encrypt my shit because I don't want someone who'd steal my laptop to look at my files. A root shell won't help them decrypt my files.

kek

So it requires:
>An encrypted partition with a manually-entered password
>Physical access to the machine
i.e. for 99% of people it's fucking nothing

Fucking hell

Everyone who's serious uses a removable disk with a key file. It would make sense for the serious options to be better worked out than the plebeian idiocy

They don't connect to the Internet as well.

>Everyone who's serious uses a removable disk with a key file.
Nah. It's just about threat models.
If you're afraid the state is gonna come for you, try to load your laptop with malware and get you to use your laptop in order to get your passwords then yeah, you should consider using a removable disk and keeping it on yourself at all times.

If the only thing you're worried about is that people are going to take a look at your files if they steal/if you lose your laptop then just using a long password is fine.

except now that ugly ass script kiddie who goes around picking up thinkpads can wipe your disk as a "prank"

ps its me

Don't care, I make daily backups at home and remote backups on a server I own twice a week. I won't lose shit.

Plus I don't know anybody who'd think it's fun to wipe other's drives.

DELET

Question: Isn't it already the case that anybody who picks up your thinkpad (=physical access) can wipe it anyway? Most people do not have a BIOS password set, so hit F2 during boot, change the boot order so it boots from USB first, insert any usb stick with linux liveCD*, mount the disks and rm -rf /mnt/*
Am I missing something?

* which are not stopped by secureboot btw

If they have physical access, nothing is stopping them from just stealing your drive. Or smashing your computer with a hammer.

DEBIANFAGS BTFO
ARCH STILL REIGNS AS BEST DISTRO OF ALL TIME

It has single user mode which works with or without encryption

The Windows 10 Operating System does not have this problem.

Use linux they said.
It's more secure they said.

>not having self destructive SSD to fry all your chips when the po po comes after your crabby patties

It's more like: Vendor CLAIMS that he finally pushed out an update after X months. The best you can do when using a proprietary operating system is to ASSUME that anything actually got patched.

>he fell for the "gentoo is a meme" meme
Install Gentoo.
Also what are the details exactly? I doubt you can magically decrypt a partition (a requirement to make use of the root initramfs) without knowing the key, so is it only for unsecured keyfiles?
By this logic, you can just set init=/bin/bash in the grub kernel command line arguments and you're good to go.

This.