Could someone please fill me in on this technology? All the cool kids seem to be using it...

Could someone please fill me in on this technology? All the cool kids seem to be using it, but I'm extremely technophobic. Specifically, I fear social media and surveillance. So, if I use this on my phone or laptop, what can I expect? Will others know what my email address is? Is it a voice or a text chat? Will there be a video component? I realise that these must be plebbish questions but I am severely anxious even about looking these things up. I appreciate whatever you can tell me. Take pity on this humble luddite. The world has left me behind.

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/privacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a voice/text service similar to TeamSpeak which is focused towards the gamer audience, it is a very popular alternative due it it being entirely free as well as hip cool and meme based. It has basically no privacy, it operates entirely off of data mining and investments for more data mining and it can even see what other applications are open and information about that application.

Oof. Thanks for letting me know. But, for other users, what do they know/ see? For example, would I have to give them my email address/ would that information be available in order for us to communicate? I was thinking of running it through my phone as my laptop mic is fucked and with the limited resources available to me, I can't have it repaired nor have plugged in alternatives resolved the issue. Really, I wish everyone just used IRC but apparently that time is passed.

The only information other users can see is your username and optionally your steam, Skype, origin, and various other usernames. This is just other users though, the software itself sees a lot more.

discordapp.com/privacy

Alright. I might be better steering clear then. These enterprises are a hiding to Hell after all. Mark of the Beast. It's just unfortunate that the cost is increasing isolation. So it goes, I suppose.

Blessings of Kek upon your post. Shadilay!

You can run it in a vm and they wont be able to datamine shit. That's what i do.

There's a lot they don't tell you. For example, I was sold a phone without being told that it was a necessity to create a Google account. Somehow these things aren't considered important to the normies. It's all blood in the veins of Moloch.

Alright, great advice. I will do that.

...What is a vm?

Lol sorry i forgot.

Download and install virtualbox. I think it will be clear from there

What they still datamine everything you say/type there

a VM doesn't help shit if you literally give them the information for free

if you're worried the program is a keylogger or something you can just use the webapp

Nice digits my friend. But, bearing in mind that I am both semi computer illiterate and also somewhat paranoid, could you give me the plebnotes? I do appreciate you taking the time, since it must be like a chef explaining the finer points of preparing instant noodles. It really has just been a pathological fear of computers that I've only just started to try and address. I'm quite, quite old.

Its a scam aimed at retards. They somehow created one of the most popular VOIP+chat programs out of nowhere and doesnt profit at all. Sooner or later its users are going to wake up with a cryptovirus on their pc's after they sell their inflated garbage to the chinese

>tfw want to circle jerk and make friends
>also don't want to be datamined

fug

>Skims though ToS
Its explicitly explained multiple times that to use GOOGLE services you need a GOOGLE account, play store, gmail, anything.
>

Sure, but if you go into a phone shop and say you want a generic smartphone they just say 'sure buy this Android'. Nothing about making accounts. It's like joining a sports team and then showing up for practice and they take a vial of your blood and no one sees why that should be in the least bit peculiar.

It is IRC and skype combined basically

Not him, but

A VM is a software that runs an OS (windows, mac, linux) as if it was running on a computer. That's why it's called a "Virtual Machine". The idea is if software does anything malicious or reads info from the computer, it will read it from the virtual one and not your actual computer. But like this user said they will still see and collect data on what you are typing/saying.

This 'virtual machine': where does it exist? How does it function? Surely it must be relying on my machine in order to operate?

I can only compare it to an emulator, wherein a bank is made up to emulate the specs of, for example, a Gameboy. That's still an apportioned aspect of my laptop, running using a percentage of its capacity as though it were a lesser device.

>User is extremely technophobic (similar to how SB is phobic to the Soul Arts)
>Uses words pleb, luddite, pity (Evangelical vocabulary)
>Picture of Saint Urbain
>Saint Urbain asks Sup Forums for help
Holy shit I haven't laughed this hard in a while.
Sup Forums is getting baited hard by a roleplaying OP.

Well done OP. You've proven how many retards have never played Demon's Souls, and have only played Dark Souls.

>I am severely anxious even about looking these things up
Well maybe you should get over it. Then you'll actually be able to do things for yourself. Like what the fuck is there even to be worried about? Just use startpage if you're that paranoid.

You don't need a Google account to use Android, user...

That's exactly what it's like. It's software emulating a computer, so it will use resources from your actual computer. Of course it means it will run slower than if you were running it on a computer, but if you are just using it for discord and just typing it shouldn't be much of a setback. Talking might be another matter, but you can try it if data mining is a real concern to you.

is basically an irc but with "funny memes" also when you play a game on your computer discord detects that application so they must be doing something fishy

>and have only played Dark Souls
Is this bait too? This isn't Sup Forums. Nobody cares about either of those games.

>Members of Sup Forums actually remember DeS
Oh! Umbasa!

My whole thing was that he should install it in a vm if hes worried about it affecting the rest of his computer.

Then i realized it was a mistake because he's violently terrified of doing computer shit, so getting step-by-step instructions from Sup Forums about how to comfigure virtualbox is probably his only hope in learning how to use VMs.

@OP
If i were you, i'd just use the web only version of it and try to join some friendly channels. You seem to be afraid of doing stuff to your PC but not afraid of communicating with faceless strangers online, so Discord may actually be a great resouece for you.

this

also op make sure you're hiding behind 2 vpns 3 proxies and using the TOR browser

Minus a few points for not pointing out the 'Mark of the Beast' in the context of the Beast Talisman though. Could it be that this wretched board is so infested with grime that even our Lord's voice does not resonate here?

Thanks, I hear these memes a lot and I don't know whether they're true or not. I am seeing a tech savvy acquaintance soon so I might ask him to set these things up for me.

Thanks user. As I mention above, I just wish I had an IRL friend to handhold me through it. I just don't understand why these things aren't taught in school to some extent. we were only ever guided through Excel and similar and so I did very badly through lack of interest.