What would you list as your ABSOLUTE LOWEST acceptable specs for a laptop...

What would you list as your ABSOLUTE LOWEST acceptable specs for a laptop? I bought a cheap laptop yesterday to replace my old one that broke over the weekend. It's slow when playing flash games. I think that I'm going to return it and upgrade, but I'm not sure what I should go for.

What's the lowest acceptable CPU? This one has a quad core i3. Look, I know. I don't have a lot of money. It was $350, get off my back.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-180GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/112130927005?hash=item1a1b86299d:g:MG0AAOSwCGVX7cS0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump, just looking for a suggestion

I'd say get at least an i5.

a top of the line Macbook pro is the absolute lowest specs I would go with

Actually a 2GB with a Pentium 4 runs just fine for basic internet usage desu.
I'd go for 4 GB ram & 15.6" anyway though.

Hell I could even use an Arduino-type microchip as a text editor and PDF renderer.

Core 2 duo 2 GB RAM
If you need more you're doing it wrong

Almost right, Pentium 4 and 1gb Mem. If you need more doing it wrong.

>pentium 4
Hope you like burned thighs. Go with a Pentium M if you're gonna go that old, they run circles around the P4.

There are no quad core i3s. There are only dual core i3s with hyperthreading.
Flash is a serious security vulnerability and you should install it.
Your laptop is probably fine. Want it to be faster? Install Gentoo. Troubleshooting why Windows is slow is a finicky, futile endeavor.

i3 to i5
128 to 256 SSD
8 GB RAM
13" to 15,6"

minimum
1920x1080 IPS display
14" size
i3 cpu
256GB SSD
4GB RAM
keyboard backlight
and this is the absolute lowest minimum

>This one has a quad core i3.
kill yourself
this

Anything that can run XFCE. So, pretty much anything.

>1366x768
>ARM
>16GB of storage
>2GB of RAM
So basically anything newer than 2008

I have a x131e
dual core celeron 1007U 1.5 ghz
4Gb Ram
320 HDD
Windows 7 Home Prem
1366x768

I'm a community college student, all I really do is use office applications and do browsing, maybe some streaming on YouTube or admitme.

It does what I need and is durable, I do want to get a 120 gb ssd and update to 8 gbs of ram just because.

I believe 4 gbs is enough for me though.

I'd use Lubuntu (personal preference) if not for the office applications. Though when I finish my intro classes that will no longer be a problem.

dual core
250GB space
at least 200ppi + IPS

I can't bear 1366x768 TN shit anymore it literally makes me want to kill myself and question how I have survived years on screens like these even worse ones

I honestly don't even really care about CPU anymore and RAM and storage just as much as necessary, screen is where it's at.

An Dell e6410
14.1inch screen 1440x900 which is basically what 1920x1080 on 15.6 is
An i5 because i7 overheats
8gb ram
Ssd
And you are set for most of tasks except gaming for dirt cheap.

I'm using a 2007 single core celeron laptop with 2gb ram and an 8gb USB stick as primary drive right now

this

>i5 U series
>8GB of RAM
>250GB SSD
>1080p IPS display

Just my 2 cents

>my supervisor at work got these beautiful 1440p IPS monitors
>great viewing angles, so easy on your eyes

>Now I have to constantly be aware that I can't afford a decent monitor

Guess you'd be fine with any 2GHz+ machine newer than sandy bridge carrying 8GB RAM and an SSD.

I'm fine with a lot less though, because I regard shell scripting as a relaxing hobby.

4 GB RAM
CPU which is younger than 5 years with Dual-Core
1336x768 Display
250 GB HDD
changeable battery

A desktop. Notebooks are overpriced, crippled, and pointless unless you need one for work in which case get a used Thinkpad but have a desktop anyway.

You can't really upgrade most notebooks.

Bare minimum?
>i3 or a4, as long as it's not over 4/5 years
>4GB ram
>500gb hardrive
>720p (1366x768)
I sure as hell wouldn't want to be stuck with it though.

I would say the minimum for a GOOD experiance
>I5 or a10
>6gb ram
>1tb hardrive
>900p screen, although 1366x768 is meh and usable

>i3
>$350
Bitch you could have gotten a used Thinkpad T420 for less than $200 with an i5 2520M
Sure it's not the prettiest thing in the world but it's durable as fuck

2nd gen i3
Integrated gfx
4gb ram
HDD
13.3" display at 1333x768
Windows os
AND DONT GIVE ME A BILLINGUAL KEYBOARD

signed a leaf

Do you have a link for that>?

celeron m and 512mb of ram

if you cant into compiling get the fuck out of my face

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-180GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/112130927005?hash=item1a1b86299d:g:MG0AAOSwCGVX7cS0

$205

My notebook is almost 10years old (9,5years) and it still works fine running Debian. Core2Duo T7300 and 4GB RAM.
I also have a faster desktop PC, but for usual tasks the notebook is still fine. Could only use some more power for compiling or encoding video.

This nigga
But I would say 4gb for me personally
And a 1600x900 screen or better because fuck that 1366x768 or whatever garbage

>ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-180GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/112130927005?hash=item1a1b86299d:g:MG0AAOSwCGVX7cS0

Thanks but I might need something new with a warranty

>Some of units may have some tiny white spots on the screen

Depends on what I'm using it for.

Right now I only have a laptop and I use it for everything and I usually keep it on a charger so i can sacrifice battery life for a more powerful processor and GPU. So an i7 and a solid nvidia gpu.

If I had a powerful desktop machine I would ignore GPU and focus mostly on a decent enough CPU (enough for compiling my projects which doesn't take a lot of power), a nice screen, comfy keyboard, long battery life and very sturdy and nice build quality.

The screens in Thinkpads aren't all that great to begin with, but the fantastic thing about them is that they are very, VERY modular. A 3 year old could replace the screen, and 1080p panels that blow the basic panels away are available at around $60, so you could buy the laptop at $205 bare minimum, use it for awhile, and later buy a new screen for $60 and still have spent less than a $350 i3.

Warranties are pointless with Thinkpads (or at least older ones) since you can replace and service every part of those machines yourself with ease.

But, if you absolutely NEED a warranty on it, that seller offers a squarespace warranty for $53

hey didnt want to start a nw thread for this but what laptop do you recommend for a college student for under 500$

>He didn't buy a used Thinkpad
The real meme is buying some piece of shit cheapware because Sup Forums has a general for a certain few lines of one brand of laptop and you don't want to "fall for a meme".

To address your minimum specs issue (which is what the thread has turned into), I'm so fucking done with 1366x768. I can't have another 768p laptop. I'm eyeing a Latitude but fuck me if you aren't paying a grand for quality of life.

I've been using a T400 for a few years now, and it still does just about anything I would expect out of a laptop, but fuck that 1280x800 display.
My next laptop will have at least 1920x1080

just buy a 1080p display and install it yourself you dunce

you can get a good spec refurb latitude for 300 - 600
I'm about to buy one myself if I can figure out if it can output to 2 external screens

At least a C2D and 4GB of RAM. And buy an SSD.

>This one has a quad core i3.
That's not a thing, all Core i3 processors are dual core regardless of whether they're laptop or desktop CPUs. They do have hyperthreading though which is probably why you think it has 4 cores.

This.

Honestly, I'm on a chromebook with one of the rockchip quad cores in it and it runs crouton just fine. that and 2gb of ram and i have a useful browser (through chromeos) and all my linux tools in a chroot using crouton and only installing cli-extra instead of an entire desktop environment

Probably any dual core from this decade. At least 720p. SSD is mandatory though.
My university laptop is with a inspiron 14r w/ a i5-3337u; replaced shitty harddrive with a 120gb ocz trion.

>1920x1080p IPS
>15.6''
>dual core celeron 3205U 1.5 GHZ
>4GB RAM

just bought a chromebook with these specs for $300 and I'm loving it. It's so cool and quiet and lightweight. I thought I couldn't live without a backlit keyboard but I'm adapting. I use it exclusively for browsing the internet in bed so any more power would be useless.

Oh, I have a fucking pile of e6410 i5.

an IPS display

TN panel in a laptop is the only thing i will not tolerate. then again, if a laptop has an IPS panel, it will usually come with other nice things such as an SSD and no fans.

i3 haswell or later
4gb ram
64gb ssd
2560x1440 IPS screen
10 hours of battery life

>quad core i3
hahahahahaha. no it's not.

wait amd zen+ 8 cores 16 threads + 1024 sp apu with 16GB hbm2 memory deprecating ram fabricated on 7nm.

I don't know what I'd consider the minimum because you can buy a 3rd gen i5 business Thinkpad/Elitebook/Latitude for $100-150 depending. No point in going for anything less.

They're faster than a new $400 laptop and as well built as a $1K one.