/hpg/ - Headphone General

- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
reddit.com/user/WarnUs
amazon.com/SMSL-SA-98E-TDA7498E-amplifier-digital/dp/B00JESRNKO
amazon.com/SMSL-Q5-Pro-black-Component/dp/B017W12UCU
strawpoll.me/11647165
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Headphones#External_links
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well, you are the one saying people are wrong while presenting only subjective opinions on what you just said to be "slight differences"
Besides, the person asking already said he can't get a V6 because it costs much more than the 7506.

FLAC Internet radio: mpv chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

Currently playing eurobeat.

Firefox 51 gets FLAC support and becomes stable on January 23. Eventually you'll be able to just listen to the stream in your browser.

AD700x, or AD900x?

Specifically using this for LAN parties, so it's strictly meant for gaming.
Price doesn't matter, but I don't want anything that requires an amp. (Less cables / stuff to carry, the better.)

Reminder that you shilled that "Firefox gets FLAC support" garbage around Sup Forums for weeks when it was announced and bumped the threads yourself by spamming anime. Who gives a shit about lossless internet streaming anyway?

Where do you live? How much are you willing to spend?

Enjoying that fast bass, my friend?

US.
AD700x is $103, AD900x is $135, and $32 isn't that much of a difference for me.
Willing to spend around $200-250, but the more expensive the headphones, the more likely I'd need an amp.

To clarify, I already have a good set of headphones for at-home usage, and looking for a more portable setup for said LAN parties.

Also for gaming, I'd like to specify that I prefer open back cans, and for it to have a large soundstage - hence why I'm currently looking at those two headphones in particular.

I wouldn't get open headphones for gaming, but I guess it makes sense if you're at a LAN party.

>weeb music
>weeb headphones
>weeb amp
>chink dac

>Budget
$70
>Location
Mid EU
>Source
Behringer UCA 222
>Type of headphone
over ear
>Open or closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort level
pretty comfortable? how the fuck wants non-comfortable headphones anyway?
>Sound signature
neutral, or something that's good for acoustic/rock/metal/singing
>Past headphones
cheap chick headphones

if there was a Bluetooth headphone with these parameters in this price range, that'd be nice
I know that wireless = worse/shittier quality over all but this would be a present and Bluetooth is a huge plus

>Budget:
>Type of headphone:
IEMs.
>Open or closed:
Don't care.
>Comfort level:
As comfy as possible. I run so it'll be nice if they don't make much of the noises usual shitty overpriced IEMs bought from Target make when I move around.
>Sound signature:
Neutral...? Leaning towards high is okay, I don't listen to much things that has a ton of bass?
>Past headphones:
Shitty apple ear buds, store bought panasonics.

Basically just looking for something that is comfy and won't make weird noises when I move around a lot. Bonus points if it can be pastel ish pink or mint.

KZ ATE

>neutral
You don't get much bassier than KZ ATE.

Sennheiser HD558 and HD598 (they sound bad on high impedance sources).
AKG K240 is also good and can be found for almost half the price of HD558. Don't let the price fool you, it's not important for headphones.
AKG Q701/K702/K701/K612/K7XX, pick the cheapest one: they don't absolutely need an amp.

>AKG Q701/K702/K701/K612/K7XX, pick the cheapest one: they don't absolutely need an amp.
They do. But if you are that cheap just go with a $10~ PCM2704 Burr-Brown DAC white color sound card. Higher volume than onboard.

Anyone try these out? They're the Status Audio CB-1s. I'm looking for some headphones with a fairly neutral sound signature but that can handle sub bass well and I think I'm going to go for this. Anyone have experience with them?

No they don't. You can drive them at a satisfying volume even out off a standard sound card.

Liar. It is just under ten bucks. Obvious difference and sounds louder with K702. If you're content with AKG with your volume loudness then fine. You win arguement.

$80, Sony MDR7506 if you want closed back.

For open backed there's the AKG K240. Few selections on this one.
$61 for standard version.
$50 for white version off Massdrop if you don't mind waiting a few weeks for shipping.
$87 for MK II isn't worth it. Has same drivers and everything as old models, just colored different.

I have a few friends with the K240. I find its treble shrill and fatiguing to listen to.
Sound stage is alright, but nothing special compared to HD558's or especially K7xx's I've listened to.
However, K612 and above definitely need amplification. Even if the K240 doesn't, it still benefits greatly from it.
But comparing the HD558 / HD598 vs AD700x / AD900x, the Audio Technicas still win out on soundstage.

A cheap USB sound card might help, but at a LAN party I'd still need the volume cranked louder than normal.

What headphones are these?

MP3 is dead anyway

If you find canalphones comfortable (for most I'd say they are not), Ety Kids. It's a deep insertion in-ear which has a sound signature leaning towards highs and arguably the most neutral in your price range. Ety MK5 would be a direct upgrade to the Kids and it's 10 dollars over your budget. Similar design but smoother response and higher sensitivity. Just know that these both require deep insertion to the ear canal and this might be the opposite of comfortable for some.

For something within your budget with a relatively balanced sound and standard in-ear form factor, Soundmagic E10 is a decent pick.

That depends on the "standard sound card", what kind of content is being played and how loud one considers to be satisfying. Those headphones are on the less sensitive end of models in production and the kind of headphones many would consider a discrete amplifier a necessity for.

xiaomi piston 3 then

Bought these a few months ago with a 5 year amazon warranty, comfiest shit I've ever worn. waddya think Sup Forums?

does Opus replace it?

Where to buy legit Piston 3? It's discontiuned no? Dual-Dynamic and BA Driver Xiaomi Hybrid Pro replaced Piston IV.

> not HD558
You've been cucked by Germans

Opus was DoA. FLAC has mainstream support

get these -

Flac is too big, it doesn't fit senpai

i think they are now called Piston Basic

>I wouldn't get open headphones for gaming
Why?
Other than potential noise from mouse/kb, theyre better in every way.

>Budget
£200-£300

>Location
UK

>Source
Creative Sound Blaster E3

>Type of headphone
Full Size

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
need comfort

>Sound signature
Neutral

>Past headphones
Audio Technica M50 (and M50x) - nice closed headphone, bass heavy however
Bose QC35 - Great everyday headphone. i'm using these at work and on the way too and from work.

I'm looking to use the recommended pair at home, as i want to listen to something different than the Bose in this environment. What do you Sup Forumsents think i should try out?

1 TB HDD is worth $50 now. Stop being poor.

I have plenty of storage at home, but I use a portable player 2

Heavy V-shape but overall more balanced than KZ ATE.

2D headphones.

Inherently bandwidth-heavy lossless codec(s) doesn't magically replace the need for lossy ones, especially not when there is no benefit in perceived sound quality if lossy encode is high enough quality. Nobody is going to waste internet bandwidth streaming lossless formats when the same practical quality for the end user can be done in a fraction of the data rate.

Status Audio CB-1

You can always just stream it if you can't store it.

>no air cushion headband
>it's headband will catch tons of hair
>the sides catch dust
>looks like a cheap piece of shit
I am no cuck, i made the right choice getting the HD598se

HD 600

HD 558 if your sound card has low output imepdance
AKG K701/K702/Q701

Only reason to get 598's is for that cream colour. Shoulda got 558's and modded em if you wanted black.

Link to cable tho?

apparently my DAC/amp can drive 600 Ohm headphones

>Link to cable tho
funnily enough im looking for the same cable, the pic isn't mine it's from imgur
>imgur.com/gallery/prMXD

Might want to message him on leddit
reddit.com/user/WarnUs
I assume its the same guy as the username on imgur since i think the sites connect to eachother [maybe?]

Drivability of a headphone isn't related to Ohm. Those specs mean nothing.

>I failed electrical engineering 101

That is a prime example of how half of the posts on r/Headphones are. What a shithole. Definitely the same user so should just pm the guy.

Useless spec which only serves to confuse people. What you can gather from that is: "this headphone amplifier has higher than average output voltage". It should be fine at driving something like the AKG K7-series phones which are relatively insensitive(despite their low impedance), DT 880/990 high impedance models, HD 6xx-series Sennheisers and the like.

He's not wrong. Impedance means very little in relation to headphones.

>message him on leddit
I'm too scared, can u?

anyone try these?

Okay, but I'm not sure If he'd reply to someone whose entire post history is shitposting and flamebaiting.

Lets pray.

How good are the Fidelio L2s?

ty user, have a rare-ish pepe.

That wing design is fucking horrible, if you want auto adjusting headphones just go for a K612 or K7XX

help me decide, these are my options, which one is the best?
it would be mainly for listening to rock music and gaming

SRH 440 is the less shitty option.

440's if you want brightish neutral
M30's if you want somewhat bassy

none of those are particularly good though. All of them will be uncomfortable

Does no one know jackshit about these or am I just getting ignored?

Second day in a row and I can't even get a shitpost for a reply.

I kinda want to have an hifiman.

Are the HE-X/1000 worth it, or should I stick with their more classic line? It would also mean I can swap their pads for something actually comfy.

I'm looking for a $75-$200 pair of headphones. I don't have an amp, but I do have a dedicated sound card.

I want it to be mainly for listening to music, and occasionally for watching movies/playing games. A neutral sound is a plus, but comfort is very important. I prefer closed back, but I'm flexible. I've never used open back headphones before.

As an aside, what would you all recommend in terms of a mic? I'm looking into the modmics, but I'm not sure about them yet. Anyone have any experience?

Passive speakers/amp/Dac/Headphone amp guy here.
You're right it's coax spdif in, that won't work. RCA splitters on the DAC to the headphone amp could work?
I think I'm going to skip on the DAC and headphone amp combo for now and just go for the speaker amp and connect that to my pc via input RCA to 3.5mm cable.
this one (2 x 160W stereo):
amazon.com/SMSL-SA-98E-TDA7498E-amplifier-digital/dp/B00JESRNKO

specs of speakers:
I think it's 75 RMS (jbl 230)
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m): 88 dB
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 20 – 150W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms

And other option for now:
peak 300W
continual 75W
92 dB
Impedance 8 Ohm

However there's also this device, SMSL Q5 Pro. It has a DAC built in and a remote control.
amazon.com/SMSL-Q5-Pro-black-Component/dp/B017W12UCU
specs:
mpedance adaptation: 4-8 ohm
Maximum output power: 50W / 4 Ohm 35W / 8 ohm
Dynamic Range: 102d BSNR: 81dB

Would these power the speakers loudly or is it too weak?

Which is "better" between the KZ ATR and the KZ ZS3? Or is there another option that's better than either? I'm confused.

>Or is there another option that's better than either?
Audeze iSine

I have those, what do you want to know exactly?

>$600
Not what I meant and you fucking know it.

ZS3 Fit better

Slightly used M50X for 80 euro. Worth it?
Yeah, I know about NIGGERBASS. Maybe it will be better with velour HM5 pads?

Bass is better with HM5 pads, but you also have to worry about the highs. Putting felt over the driver would help.

As long as you're not expecting amazing clarity, and know the bass is ultra present, they're not bad once modded.

I have a beat up pair of m50's that I bought for 30 AUD second hand. Sounds pretty alright. Decent cans for bus rides.

>but you also have to worry about the highs
Wow didn't know that. I've got some kind of treble allergy so thanks for mentioning it.

What tip does Sup Forums use on their Etymotic HF5?

strawpoll.me/11647165

How much do you like them? Are they worth $100? Do they isolate enough to be used in public? Are they superior to the SHP9500s?

No worries. It's not horrific, but it's a bit more than DT770's. Highs are easy to take out with modification though.
The HM5 pads help as well.

How so? Is it purely a fitting in issue, or is it a matter of the shape or bulk of the driver unit?

Thanks bro.

Shape of the ZS3 is just better. The ATR is the same shape as the ATE's [go ask /csg/ about them if you want]
Just too bulky and not really ear shaped.

Current have a pair of HD598 and looking to upgrade after a lot of research it looks like im leaning to getting the hifiman HE-400i with an amp and dac

would this be a decent upgrade or does anyone else have any other headphone suggestions

That's a fair upgrade. HD 600's are an option too. They don't have quite the low end extension that you get with the planar of the 400i's, but theyre a bit more comfortable. Up to you really.

What Amp/DAC are you looking at?

Guys where the fuck have the pastebins of recommended headphones gone?

I have to come up with a list of headphones/IEM that cost around 150€ to choose from for a graduation gift.

They're in the Wiki
Where they've always been
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Headphones#External_links

not sure i'm a newfag when it comes to headphones and stuff my first "good" pair were the HD598 and i'm not to experienced in amp/dac's but i've been reading that the magni/modi 2 from schiit are good with the 400i

>Budget
Up to about $200
>Location
U.S.
>Source
PC for music/gaming.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
Preferably comfortable, like velour padding.
>Sound signature
Neutral or leaning bassy.
>Past headphones
Razer meme pro that were okay.

Prefer to not have to invest in an amp or a DAC.

Righto. 400i's are fairly efficient. They don't need a whole lot of juice. You easily power them off something like a Micca Origen+, an E10k, or any of the cheaper SMSL DAC/Amps

The Schiit stack [What people call magni+modi combo] is a bit overkill, but if you don't want to ever have to upgrade for ages, while having a ton of features, it's the way to go I guess.

ATH-M40x with Brainwavz HM5 Velour Pads if you want somewhat bassy
NVX XPT-100
with HM5 Velours if you want neutral.

Best cheap portable amp+DAC?
Is Fiio Q1 good?

>I kinda want to have an hifiman.
To experience the lack of workmanship in a headphone as Fang Bian would do it? With window screen dust covers and cheap plywood frames?
>Are the HE-X/1000 worth it
The poor finish is quite the downside.
Hifiman used the beta demo as a way to gauge product interest, and upped the prices accordingly. I would call it overpriced in that light.
I didn't find anything compelling about the sound, I would have taken the Ether over them easily.

>amazon.com/SMSL-SA-98E-TDA7498E-amplifier-digital/dp/B00JESRNKO
>(2 x 160W stereo):
Heh. Funny. Here's the official spec.

>2 x 160 watts max @ 4 ohms (12% THD)
>2 x 80 watts max@ 6 ohms (10% THD)
>2 x 60 watts max @ 8 ohms (10% THD)
Can't find any spec on continuous linear output yet. It will be far less than the peak power given here.

I see. Thanks for the advice.

I do like them a lot, it's the one i listen to when i'm in the mood for something bassy, i'm not sure if they are worth 100 bucks since i live in Brazil, but i's put it somewhere near HD558 and MDR V6 in terms of quality, if that helps a bit in the general price range (keep in mind that this is just my opinion), they are very sturdy too and the detachable cable can be replaced by any regular cable (V-moda for example) which should help with the durability, they are semi-open, so they isolate more than the HD558/AD900X/K701 and less than the DT770 or the MDR V6, with that said, i do occasionally listen to them in the bus, they don't isolate as much as i would consider perfect for this kind of thing, but it's good enough in general.
The pads are very comfortable, but i do find the headband a bit annoying some times, although adjusting it well enough usually helps with discomfort, but it does hurt a little after 3 hours or so.
Sorry, never tested the SHP9500 so i can't really compare them.

Can someone explain me difference between AKG K240 Studio and MK II?

Just colour and the Mk II's come with velour pads.

Sound/build is identical.

30 euro for velour pads? Hmm. I'll stick with Studio then.

MKII also has detachable cable.

>Are the HE-X/1000 worth it
Wait for V3. Fang Bian will most likely update the model. I'm joking. HE-1000 is only a year old and it's already V2.

Is the bass enough that it has those deep booms and not rattle your body tier?

Yeah, that describes it pretty well actually.

Zeos literally just did a vid on them if he can sway your opinion at all

>Budget
~$300 or less
>Location
USA
>Source
Straight from PC
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Excellent
>Sound signature
Flat
>Past headphones
SRH840
V-Moda XS

I've had my SRH840s for about six years now and the headband hinges are forming cracks. I know I should probably pick up a open-back set, but my roommate is a DOTArd and that makes it really hard to study in my dorm. I guess I'd like something with better build quality and soundstage.

You could look at T50RP's and an amp.
Mod them to whatever sound sig you want.