Its almost 2017, whats your excuse for not using lossless audio

Its almost 2017, whats your excuse for not using lossless audio.....

>duh, i can't hear the difference
>muh space

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
mcelhearn.com/well-crafted-study-shows-listeners-cannot-distinguish-between-cd-quality-and-high-resolution-music-files/
wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Hydrogenaudio_Listening_Tests
listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I got some shit on flac but sometimes i got mp3
But god damn fucking fansubs in my chinese cartoons when they don't have flac audio

flac is the future senpai

I can't find everything in .flac on public trackers and I'm not autistic enough to go into private trackers.

I do, but only because I have a high-end setup with ample hard drive space. Even then, only marginal returns vs. 320 CBR/~256 kbps VBR. And 24-bit 192kHz is full retard.

Greentexting arguments does not invalidate them

OP here - I have resorted to buying physical media, since every torrent i come across the uploader is an autist and still uploads everything in mp3.....

My flac is 16bit 44.1khz , don't see any point in anything higher

I venture to guess that it probably also depends on what type of music you listen to. Electronic music, probably doesn't make sense in anything other than mp3, but anything that has high and low ranges, like classical, or rock music, yea, flac all the way.

I used to hoard flac files for a music archive.

I stopped caring when I realized that I'm never going to make music, and if I did, sampling a decent mp3 or m4a would probably be good enough. Why have two copies of all of my music when I can have one that can sync everywhere without wasting space?

I still try to find flac downloads so I can encode the songs myself, but that's all I use the format for.

What drive do you use? I bought an external and it couldn't rip or playback cds at all was a little annoying

/thread

I've got everything in .ogg from youtube videos

I'd love to get high quality flac for everything, but you can't find it anywhere, legally or otherwise.

Just a normal Bluray multi-format drive, with EAC for ripping software, and encoding to flac.

Gonna change up the thread a bit, anyone know of any sites that have a good amount of lossless files to buy? Again, I refuse to buy mp3s, I would just rather buy the physical media and the rip it myself if thats the case.

OP here, that is why whatever I can, I buy the physical media (CD) ... Its almost not worth trying to download music form a torrent, fucking plebs still use mp3 or other lossy formats.

ITT: people without what.cd accounts

Does that come as external really would rather not put the 5.25 bays back into my define r5

OP here. I don't care about having to have a 5.25" bay , i don't sacrifice functionality over 'form' - but i am sure there should be external adapters available. I just have a decent LG multi-drive (BD, DVD,CD) drive, works great.

never heard of it sorry

My ears are shit and 192kbps mp3 is transparent for me.

FUCKING THIS.

> on the torrents
> album @ 320kbps MP3 ~ 150mb
> same album FLAC ~ 300mb

why ?

in the year of {current year +1} i just want 3 audio tiers

-128kb VBR AAC / MP4
- 16bit flac
- 24bit flac / dsd

everything else (mp3 i am looking at you) needs to die in a fire - we have had full hardware support for mp4 for a decade.

i simply don't have the time or inclination to re-rip or find 35 years worth of music purchases. flac is nice but it's hardly necessary. Unless I'm listening to stuff for work or working specifically with masters in my studio I won't go out of my way to find lossless.

But I need the removable drive bays to fit my GPU

I use FLAC on my PC and Opus on my phone, like a normal human bean

>I refuse to buy mp3!!!
Kill yourself lad. Go take a double blind test with mp3 of all bitrates and lossless. Guarantee you lose at 256kbps or earlier.

OP here, most would also argue, less download time , but is that also a really valid argument? Because remember the Napster days of downloading a 5MB mp3 , taking at least an entire fucking day? so what if a flac album is 100+MB or so more? Get a faster connection .

headphones are shitty so I can't hear the difference, waste of space

besides, my music is too old and shitty to come in flac anyway

OP here, I am a huge faggot that is all

ok , transcode it then, we'll see who wins after? and again, I wouldn't listen to metal or classical on mp3 , there is a difference. sorry lad

projecting much?

my mobo sound card is shit, my hearing is getting worse as time goes on and im too much of a poorfag to grab a dac+amp after mine broke, so mp3 will do

>comparing metal to classical

Major pleb detected you can't name one good metal band that isn't some lame Fuck grunting into a microphone

>I2P background pattern
What did they mean by this?

>doesn't see the connections metal actually has to classical, kys faggot

OK so name a band and I'll listen to an album while I work tonight

Genre is irrelevant to what quality you should listen at you philistine

your shitty onboard soundcard is enough for 16 bit dac .

>There is an audible difference
Good luck: npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
I would tell you not to cheat, but we both know you will because it's more important to preserve your audiodumb mentality.

Does anybody have the copypasta with the harddrive disk rotation which is causing bitrate loss on lossy formats?

not him nor a flac nerd, but kalmah

Devin Townsend , also his band Strapping Young Lad , Therion , Classic White Zombie (not Rob Zombie)

says the jew

Rotational velocidensity.

>people still believe this

never heard of that, i would imagine if hardware is failing, it could be an issue, as well as a poorly written encoder.

But I do download in 24 bit senpai. I even buy Asian albums that I can't find in 24 bit

is it cheating if i transcode the same file from mp3 to mp3 then?

>audiophiles
mcelhearn.com/well-crafted-study-shows-listeners-cannot-distinguish-between-cd-quality-and-high-resolution-music-files/

Because I am not autistic about earing some noise.

I don't see the point in that, just like in DVD/BD audio , why can't it just stay at 16bit 44.1khz , whats the point of anything higher?

>But lossy files lose quality when you transcode them!
Yes, and?
You're listening to music faggot. Unless you're manipulating the audio on a regular basis you have no reason to be hoarding lossless audio. Switching to whatever flavor of the month meme lossy format is also stupid and autistic.

Your illogical hatred of mp3 is fucking hilarious.

no reason ?

Shit, my fucking chinese cartoons will fucking die in some years

Or did he mean't that if they seat on the internal HDD
Where are the audiophiles when you need them?!

Do you not understand the English language or something?
What the fuck are you saying

apt-cache search gramofile

i don't understand your stupidity , better? now go fuck off and die

my mistake
its not a pci sound card, i meant to say the sound output built into the mother board. its shit, too much static and it makes my dt990 sound like ass

id get a soundcard but id much rather have an external amp/dac

>Can't argue
>Gets angry and lashes out
Sasuga audiodumb.

1.3.2 WHEN

could be your speakers actually

what? i can't hear you can you try something higher than 320kbps please?

I want to start a blog in which i transcode FLAC audio into Ogg Vorbis. Why? Because "MPAnything doesn't respect your freedom"

I'd just need some contributors. I'm banned on what.cd

I don't know what you're trying to say to me. It's clear you're a third worlder now.

what? world three?

Well if the flac download they offer is there and you have room for it why not? In fact some websites only offer 24 bit or mp3 acc audio quality. No in between. If I want apace I could just convert it later.

>jew

Did you confuse philistine and Palestine? That's pretty funny.

duh, i can't hear the difference
muh space

just because you quote it doesn't mean its invalid...

CD isn't full 24-bit you know. If you have a setup that supports it you might as well go the extra mile and see if those versions are available. You also don't have to say 'OP here' every time you reply, it makes you sound retarded.

>current year + 1

>Time After Time - 花舞う街て -64bit 176.4kHz WAV

keep up with the times men

my argument was that mp4 is transparent around 128kbps but i can still hear 320kbps mp3

its all in watery treble caused by the window size in the discrete cosine transform. MP3 window is fixed - MP4 dynamically adjusts to the music type.

anyhows what i am saying is with the current state of technology - low bitrate mp4 is good - bit perfect 16bit flac cd transcodes are great - and 24 bit flac can be amazing if you can find them and listen on above average hardware.

300 - 500 megabyte 320kbps MP3 rips can just die in a fire...

MP4 is a container, not an audio codec. I assume you actually mean AAC or some shit.
Also, why would you use a non-free codec like that, when you can use the free and superior Opus?

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

what is the computer equivalent of putting an mp3 in a cool, dry place?

AAC and Opus are pretty equal. For normies who don't want to find out how to play and/or create Opus files it's good enough.

AAC is transparent that low if you're deaf. 256 seems like overkill so I would assume the actual point is somewhere between the two. Opus at 128 I might give you.

I don't have down syndrome.

>AAC and Opus are pretty equal
Tests put Opus ahead of AAC.
wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Hydrogenaudio_Listening_Tests
listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

Also, AAC is non-free.

Because I have youtube.

I can't tell the difference but I still use it.

>I do, but only because I have a high-end setup
you'er an idiot if you think this makes a difference.

>never heard of what.cd
Get off my Sup Forums

I use it whenever it's available. There really is no reason. Phones have zero issues with flac and even with dsd. And converting fags are fucking hilarious - they are wasting time and resources to make audio quality WORSE.

i use lossless audio, but if I didn't my excuse would be that I can't tell the difference

and neither can Neil Young, he's a lying old faggot

>DSD
end your life

>philistine
They were the enemies of the jews.

install gentoo

>Electronic music, probably doesn't make sense in anything other than mp3, but anything that has high and low ranges, like classical, or rock music, yea, flac all the way.
Only the top 40 tier electronic music - it's optimized to be played on shittiest speakers. Otherwise it's completely opposite - instrumental music is limited by the quality of the microphones, and they are notoriously bad for both highs and lows.