They should make the end which connects to the power brick magsafe so at least the thing won't fall off the desk...

They should make the end which connects to the power brick magsafe so at least the thing won't fall off the desk. Who pays these people money to do such a shit job?

They should make a magsafe to usbC adapter and continue using the old chargers.

>laptops so light they get yanked off the desk when you trip on their power cable because they're too thin to have real batteries

Next they'll be selling suction cups and paperweights to keep your MacBook from blowing away on windy days

but then it wouldn't be USB-C to USB-C. are you seriously saying you wished apple had used a proprietary connector instead?

is that seriously the world we're living in? that Sup Forums is so desperate for something to bitch about with apple that you claim to wish they had not adopted the USB type C spec?

if you badly want, you might be able to get some magnetic adapter things like pic related. just plug it into the magsafe brick and do exactly what you were talking about.

early reviews are saying the battery life is roughly the same as the last gen, and much better if you're doing light stuff.

which, if you believe the Sup Forums narrative/delusion, would be all the people using it for facebook and whatnot.

oh sorry are we not bothering to be consistent or relevant to reality?

>laptops so light they get yanked off the desk when you trip on their power cable because they're too thin to have real batteries
Uh, I was having that problem all the way back in the days when sub 6 pounds was pretty damn light for a notebook.

>are you seriously saying you wished apple had used a proprietary connector instead?
Absolutely, MagSafe was perfect.
>if you badly want, you might be able to get some magnetic adapter things like pic related.
They're garbage. MagSafe was engineered for the product it was on so that way the laptop wouldn't move at all when the cable was tugged.

This is bullshit, I could design a much better connector

Go do it and get it standardized, then. You'd make the world a better place.

i know this is going to sound like apologist shilling etc etc but can someone tell me about the lives they lead where people are tripping over their charging cables?

i'm 27. i go outside every day. i probably stop in at a coffee shop at least once a week for a change from my lab/office. i can't think of a single incident in the last 10 years with a laptop AC adapter. i'd like to say i haven't even *seen* an incident, but i realize that i would almost certainly forget about some random person's laptop getting yanked off the table. but i'm quite certain that it has never happened to me.

i definitely know what has happened to me, though; i definitely have found that the magsafe 2 magnet was too weak and bent up slightly, causing it not to charge anymore. if the light weren't there, i bet my laptop would come close to dying a lot more often.

if apple had implemented a fix for magsafe 2 along the same lines as the magsafe 1 fix, that would be an improvement, but arguably the bigger improvement in my life is no longer having to spend 80 dollars when i need a new cable.

also, is nobody interested in the fact that usb 3.0/3.1 spec recommends 3 meters max (but doesn't actually impose a length limit)? that's 9 fucking feet if you live in the US. and that's not even a hard limit. if you get a good quality cable, you should easily be able to have a 3 meter cable for charging

or lassoing or hanging yourself or whatever the fuck you want. because it'll be more than 3 meters in length

USB C is fine, but they removed a very useful feature. It is really nice to not have your shit fly off your desk because your charging cable (most likely to cause such an incident) got caught on your foot as you were walking away. It's not like it happens all the time but if you accidentally do it once it might be the difference between your laptop not charging and having your screen cracked.

As for the end, it could still charge from usb-c to usb-c for generic chargers but still retain magsafe in Apple manufactured chargers, no need for adapters. They doesn't need to always charge from USB-C to USB-C.

>Absolutely, MagSafe was perfect.
look dude, i'm willing to discuss the pros and cons of magsafe, but if you're not willing to agree to the fact that magsafe had some flaws, then i can't have a conversation with you about whether those flaws were worth tolerating in exchange for magsafe's benefits.

Maybe the reason you can't remember having your laptop yanked from the table was because the magsafe connector popped out anytime a situation like that would occur thus removing your need to experience such a traumatic event.

I don't know what you did to your laptop, sorry it didn't work for you. It works for me and millions of others, though. I still have the same charger that came with my laptop, functions fine, and is no worse for wear. MagSafe 2 was what, 7 or 8 feet long with the extension? That's plenty. USB-C is a shit connector, regardless, it definitely should not be the charge port.

What flaws do you think the MagSafe connector had? No, not the cable or the adapter itself, the connector. I can't think of any flaws. It certainly has less flaws the USB-C when it comes to charging or most other charging ports.

Fuck apple's charger, that big ass brick takes up so much space on my multi-plug that i can't use all the sockets.

i suspect that having two distinct ways to charge the battery would require additional space for redundant components. given how much they're scraping and scrounging for space for battery slices (and for fuck's sake, using slices to terrace battery components to get like a few extra cubic microns of space), that would be a non-starter.

i keep hearing a lot of people asking for stuff like this, though. like in every MBP thread someone is saying they wish apple had just kept a few USB-A ports. or they wish the SD port wasn't dropped. or they wish the HDMI port was still there.

the obvious modus operandi for apple is to do a hard break from the old. i can't think of any product they've made in the last 15 years (certainly not a peripheral) that gave you both options among a newer standard that they figured was the future and the older standard that everyone already supported. that just wasn't ever going to happen, and if one wanted that, then they necessarily wanted something other than apple.

i agree about this being a huge, breaking change. i only use USB-A devices. i have a DSLR that uses SD cards. i use a miniDP monitor at my lab and the HDMI port for my TV. but i also recognize that apple is often the only company willing to wind up its leg and take a huge swing to kick users' asses into the next standard. so every time they do a huge break like this, early adopters suffer but manufacturers scramble like cockroaches to make products for these flush customers who are willing to spend extra for new compatible products. and in a year or two there'll be half a dozen viable options for every peripheral, and USB-C[insert here] cables will be more ubiquitous and cheaper.

i love PC manufacturers for being conciliatory, but this is why USB 3.0 took so fucking long to get adopted. apple dragged its feet with 3.0 until the rMBP. at that time you saw a very scant few laptops with just 1 USB 3.0 port, and motherboards would often only give you a pair or two.

They ditched magsafe so you could charge the macbook via usb-c through your common power brick. This is a very cool feature that can give you days of off totally off-grid computing. This is really nifty if you cycle around with macbook.

I salvaged a magsafe cable from a spare charger and wired up my own magsafe powerbrick with some spare 16850's for my 2011 mac air.

Now this just lets normies do the same with off the shelf hardware - at the expense of the magsafe insurance. Hmmmmm i am tied on this

also laptops with power ports sticking straight out of the sides always always have a broken port or cables from the unatural kink you get in bed or on the couch - this will not end well.

All kinds of crap, including conductive things like staples and metal shavings, get packed into the connector. I've seen a ton of Macbooks with staples sucked.

i wouldn't bring the cable quality into the discussion if we were talking about two different open specifications, where the implementation (e.g. of the sheathing) were up to the manufacturer. but apple didn't/doesn't license magsafe adapters, so the cable they provide is the only one available. so it absolutely is fair game. all of the design choices apple made with it are fair game. they made that the case when they chose not to allow anyone else to make alternatives.

some issues with magsafe 2:
- the cable sheathing frays over time
- the magnet is sufficiently weak that it dislodges easily under undesirable circumstances
- the T-shaped connector causes it to dislodge, as well as stick straight out of the body, whereas a hypothetical/now defunct L-shaped connector would be more discreet (and probably less likely to dislodge inadvertently)
- the proprietary nature of the adapter makes it difficult and probably ultimately infeasible to make compact battery packs to charge a laptop on the go

i'm sure people who have more gripes with magsafe (2) have more things to add. i'm pretty heavily invested in magsafe. i like magsafe just fine. but i haven't drunk the kool-aid and called it "perfect". i'm just willing to trade all of these for some of the benefits of magsafe.

..... Did you fucking throw out the extension plug? You don't have to plug the brick in fucktard

I have never had that happen, but I suppose it could happen. Is that all?

this. someday down the road anker or someone else will make a power hub like pic related (although obviously with USB-C ports) and you'll be able to charge your laptop and all of your other peripherals directly from that brick. and if you travel, you can take that and/or a USB battery pack.

there are definitely trade offs to abandoning magsafe. i get that some people are reluctant to give magsafe up. but to me the net benefits already apparently weigh in favor of USB type C, and i suspect everyone here will agree eventually. maybe not soon, but eventually.

see my response: i'm not saying you're not giving up anything by moving to USB C. i'm saying that magsafe had its problems, and some people were frustrated with that, and some of those problems are addressed with USB C. it's clear that there are fixes to replicate the magnetic features of magsafe, but adopting a widely accepted standard is in the best interest of everyone

backtoleddit.gif

slowpoke.jpg

2fast2furious

All right, maybe I should have said the MagSafe concept is perfect. Implementation could be improved. I think the patent has run out on it, though, so I hope other manufacturers begin to implement it. I think a magnetic docking connector would be great.

>it's clear that there are fixes to replicate the magnetic features of magsafe,
I don't agree. The aftermarket magnetic connectors don't function as well. I've had them simply disconnect from the receptacle instead of at the magnetic junction, when I tried out the Micro-USB ones available. Maybe if some first party comes out with one, it could be good, but right now it's all poorly designed garbage.
>but adopting a widely accepted standard is in the best interest of everyone
I don't agree, but that's because I think USB-C is not a very good connector. I'm not sure why people like it very much when it's designed almost identically to the much reviled Micro B.

even if the patent has run out on it (and honestly if apple wanted to they could come up with some new design, patent it, and threaten anyone they wanted), the absence of their stamp of approval would discourage most from buying a magsafe knockoff. you can buy knockoffs on ebay right now. they're like $15. they spark when you plug them into wall outlets.

as for a magnetic connector, i agree that it would be nice if there was some way to have my cake and eat it too, but that's not how the saying goes. the best i think we'll see is the gif above. the way i see it, nobody has to get permission from anybody to make that, as long as you make it to specification. and people can compete to make it smaller, cheaper, make the magnet stronger, maybe give people an option of an L-shaped or T-shaped connector, etc... (although i suppose a consumer should just buy an L-shaped cable, but who knows when those will come to market)

I don't think the magsafe at the charger-end would work either. Part of the brilliance of the original idea was that the connection to the laptop was the weakest part. If you move the weakest part to the charger you basically have to make sure that the cable is tensioned at the charger which it certainly isn't if, for example, you wrap the charging cable around your charger. If it is not completely outstretched and something pulls on the cable then the magsafe will not disengage at the charger.

Thanks for the discussion though.

>I'm not sure why people like it very much when it's designed almost identically to the much reviled Micro B.
people seem to hate micro-B for a few reasons
- those sharp hooks (see pic)
- maybe more fragile? i think i've seen one get bent/broken, but it might be more about perception than actual experiences
- only one orientation works (this is an obnoxious fact of every connector, but still)

USB-C (generally) eliminates all of those.

ah, that's true. i guess you can use it as the gif suggests, but as i said earlier i just can't think of a time this has happened, making me wonder (for myself) whether this would be a waste of money in anticipation of an accident that i can't even recall ever happening before.

>even if the patent has run out on it (and honestly if apple wanted to they could come up with some new design, patent it, and threaten anyone they wanted), the absence of their stamp of approval would discourage most from buying a magsafe knockoff. you can buy knockoffs on ebay right now. they're like $15. they spark when you plug them into wall outlets.
I was talking about them being implemented on non-Apple devices.
>those sharp hooks (see pic)
Sharp? They're not supposed to be sharp enough that it's a concern. They would stop working after a while, though
>maybe more fragile?
Absolutely fragile, along with the USB-C connector. Why? The small tongues in the receptacle. They cannot handle having any load applied to them because they're just small pieces of commodity plastic. God help you if you ever have any sharp force applied to your cable or you don't insert it perfectly straight.
>only one orientation works (this is an obnoxious fact of every connector, but still)
This is the only thing solved by USB-C.

I'm not against an open, standard connector, but I want it to be good.

This is discussing the ability for the cable to disconnect in the case of a yank. USB-C will remain connected in that case which will lead to the laptop itself moving and potentially falling and becoming damaged. There is no more yank-protection, it is a backwards step in this development. USB-C had an opportunity to change the physical connector but I guess they chose connection durability over damage prevention.

They could have done 3 USB-C plus a magsafe. Best of all worlds.

>they chose connection durability
No, they didn't.

it's a step backward if your only criterion is yank protection. i'll agree to that. that's not the sole criterion that people care for

and dropping to 3 ports would mean there's no way to drive 2 5k monitors. it would also mean the lowest end 13" MBP would have as many ports as the retina Macbook (1).

that's not a reasonable solution. it was more reasonable earlier when someone suggested that apple make a magsafe-esque adapter that made a USB-C cable and one of the ports into a magsafe port. but even that's not going to happen because apple contrives a whole narrative about everything they do being perfect, and this would suggest that the design they built into the product (4 USB ports) is in some way not perfect.

if you want the quality of first-party, hang tight for a few companies to bring competing adapters to market. it's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that there's a market for people who would pay good money to get magsafe back.

I'm pretty sure connection maintenance in regards to physical forces is a consideration all connection standards would consider.

>The all new Apple I Have No Mouth And Yet Must Scream In Terms Of Connectivity

I also hate it for not being able to quickly charge my phone and play video

Isn't the solution to not grab the power cable and pull your computer off the desk?

I can't see how this is a real issue.