How are you protecting your USB ports Sup Forums against these killers? Must be a nightmare for schools

How are you protecting your USB ports Sup Forums against these killers? Must be a nightmare for schools.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/2896732/dont-trust-other-peoples-usb-flash-drives-they-could-fry-your-laptop.html
youtube.com/watch?v=5pP8TLwO_Ks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I own a macboob

I'm not? Destruction of property is illegal.

By not plugging random USB drives I found on the street into them.

schools have cameras generally so if you actually do this you're an idiot.

This. Gun Free Zones are safe because no one is allowed to use guns. And anyone who does use one is breaking the law.

I don't think anybody in a university would do something this retarded

I don't think you know what destruction means...

destruction would be destroying it with a hammer

I own a Macbook '15 so that means I can't get any viruses like this.

Not usually in classrooms.

Frying a computer and making it inoperable is destruction of property.

Only a retard would argue otherwise.

But seriously tho, any sane IT department epoxies their USB ports or disconnects them from the inside and then fires any employee who is caught plugging random USB drives into company computers.

You could use them in public photo booths and on trains. Would you get caught?

Unlike gun free zones, I don't care if my laptop gets destroyed, since I won't be dead. I can just force that guy to fix it. So, nice logic you got there.
Are sane IT departments really doing that?

While true, it's also generally easy to find the culprit using other cameras

>teacher X walks out of classroom for y minutes to get coffee
>>My computer is destroyed!
>Find camera probably pointing near door
>look for y minutes for who entered and exited
V&

>implying you know shit about how schools are run
I went to an inner city school.
They never caught the kid who stole all the mouse balls and snapped off all the keyboard legs.
They never caught the kid who meticulously stole all the ram from the computer lab.
They never caught the kid who kept stealing all the core i7s in the computer lab and replacing them with an identical socket celeron so nobody would notice.

What inner city? Inner city portland?

I guess I give the schools too much credit (I grew up in a rural area).

What do you need an i7 for in a school computer anyway?

>are sane IT departments really doing that
probably so unless they want dozens of viruses spread across the network daily from idiots bringing their infected shit from home and infecting work computers

Why didn't they install cameras? Or hire a person to guard things?

we had some in the engineering class for cad and simulations and shit
t. class of 2015

There were days in my school classroom where they left it unlocked for supply teacher. A lot of the time you could just hang out in there during break. The teacher coming back finding computers not working a few days later would not be able to find out with so many people entering the classroom in the past few days.

Damn, your school district must have been much better off than mine to have had luxuries like engineering classes.

>that teacher who would hold up the class and check all the mice undersides before letting students out

dell probably wined and dined their board of education to spend more money on their computers even if it was snake oil for school use

apple does this shit all the time
my school bought carts and carts full of macbooks instead of something more cost effective

Fair enough. My school district was really tight with the police department and it was a rural-ish area so it would be easy for the authorities to figure out who was doing that shit.

it's not like the damn thing has a real timer.

I hope the last two are the same one and they did something cool with all of that.

By not being a retard.

Is there a tester device for these things? So you can test them on something before plugging in?

I heard about these, what do they do on an entire scale? Do they just wipe the drives and leave them or do something that means a computer can't be fixed, etc... Cause if it just wipes the drives then you can install a new OS on, but if it does some magic shit WHATS GOING ON

What shit hole did you go to school in?
Black kids?

or y'know you could just not accept flash drives from shady people or found shit

I think it LITERALLY fries the motherboard. At least the ones described in this article do:
pcworld.com/article/2896732/dont-trust-other-peoples-usb-flash-drives-they-could-fry-your-laptop.html

Electrostatic discharge to cause physical damage to components.

Fucken hell, and just imagining the confusion on someones face lmao

We had an engineering course for 1 year in my high school and it was being taught by one guy for a couple of periods a week. The computers had Pentium 4s and some ancient, low end FirePros. This was in 2009.

Basically takes the 5v, stores it up and then unleashes 240v through the data stream. This happens in a matter of seconds.

They should hardwire a dye pack into computers so if someone overloads the port it blasts them

magic blue smoke everywhere. They would flip their shit.

Im picturing a mac user in starbucks.
So soothing.

Disable the USB controller drivers

check mate

macs are safe from these apparently

How so? Its hardware related.

In some countries, it's illegal to monitor students in public schools using cameras

Macs have over current protection

Oh, ok.

my college professor can tell when someone plugs in a usb device and what domain user was logged in.

B T F O
T
F
O

Not really.
With the amount you pay for apple products you should get that assurance.

youtube.com/watch?v=5pP8TLwO_Ks

It's not even full protection. You still get a fucked up usb port.

Ok so you can still kill data transferal.
Thats still pretty important.

>What are peripherals other than USB storage

You can disable the use of USB mass storage devices via GPO. It should protect against malware since it won't even load the mass storage driver.
Obviously won't protect against someone frying the ports, but it shouldn't be hard to track down who's doing it based on when the controller gets killed.
There's really not a lot you can do against vandalism, from an IT standpoint.

DoD goes hard mode:
Any USB storage device attached to a computer throws a violation, and the person who was logged on at the time get in trouble.
For uniformed members or GS employees, it's probably some form of formal disciplinary paperwork, contractors can get straight up fired.

A quick google didn't reveal much, but I know as far as the US goes:

Cameras are often not in classrooms because of the privacy implications of teachers/students, however they are commonly deployed in hallways, outside, and in front offices.

A smart admin would be able to see that the death of the USB controller generated a message in the system log, and be generally able to narrow down who was near that computer at that time.

>falling for the macs can't get viruses meme

>For uniformed members or GS employees, it's probably some form of formal disciplinary paperwork, contractors can get straight up fired.

for service membes if you plug a usb drive in while logged in with a smartcard it just locks you out and you have to go to your comm squadron or customer service support. maybe if you do it a lot then they'll get mad and you'll get paperwork but not for the first time.

I guess if you're not in a secure facility, we're not even allowed to bring any electronic devices in our building.

I know for me it would probably be an LOR since it would also be a security violation.

>They never caught the kid who kept stealing all the core i7s in the computer lab and replacing them with an identical socket celeron so nobody would notice.
That's clever, niggerish, but clever.

The new macbook doesnt have this problem
No usb port? No problem!

It's illegal in the state of Victoria, Australia.

Teacher's unions wouldn't allow it. Not even prison classrooms.

>trains
what?

Was the kid you and is this a confessional?

Would it be possible to weaponize the USB ports on my laptop? Like, so when the police inserts their flash drive to scrape my data, it gets fried by my electrified USB ports?

Like, reversing OP's picture, to prevent unautorised access on my laptop by turning my USB ports into USB killers

winfags btfo

Or better yet, make it so the laptop USB ports fries everything, including the SSD where the operating system and all files are loctated. So when someone inserts a flash drive to scrape the full disk encryption keys, they destroy the computer, including the SSD, instead.

Would a separate usb hub protect the computer from the usb killer?

What USB pendrive is this?
USB Killer?
Rubber Ducky with mimikatz and whatnot?

USB Killer will fry your motherboard and perhaps more, pricey repair, keep your shit behind locks and don't plug in random USB pendrives.

Same for Rubber Ducky without hardware repairs.

With as few ports as most apple products come with, its a pretty big blow.

In theory I think it could. Like an inline surge protector. This should be a thing. Hold up. Filing patent right now.

First.

I don't plug strange USB devices I find into my computer.

(You)

I take apart flash drives before using them. I don't need all that extra plastic anyways.

By not being underage and still in school

>changing i7s to celerons, fuck that actually sould like a good ideal. shame im white so i wont do crimes like that

This could be the argument for bringing back clear-case electronics.

t. London

How's that autism treating you?

because it won't be replaced for 15 years

Aren't these things an urban myth?

Mainboards have a fuse between the board and the usb port afaik.

A fuse alone won't protect you from a high voltage spike.

Aren't these fuses combined with capacitors?

Does any of you have evidence that these things have ever damaged anything?

you were the kid that did all these thefts, werent you?

>near future
>only one lightning port on any aplel device
>toast by usbkiller

>muh dongles

You can't put high capacitance on the data lines.

Maybe some MOVs would work, but I doubt anybody bothers to do it.

As for evidence, the only thing I've seen is someone building one on youtube and destroying a couple old/cheap devices using a camera flash circuit.

>implying i wouldn't be disguised
>implying i wouldn't keep opsec

Some fucker used that on my friends surface pro in college .

Rendering any device unusable is considered "destruction" of property child

Why did your friend let some person just walk up and do it?

All certified USB compliant host devices have overcurrent protection, which won't save you from a high voltage spike.

It is possible macs are immune, I don't know, but your reasoning is wrong.

Back to serial port it is.. Hardware disconnect all usb ports problem solved

>school pc's
>i7's

are you 15?

You know you can turn usb ports off, right?

install gentoo

No we all left our computers in the room and some guy stuck one of those in the expensive looking laptops. Some girls macbook pros usbs didn't work either. Same with some guys gaming laptop

I can disable power on all USB ports via advanced AmiBIOS™ security settings configuration on my Thinkpad™ notebook, because it is made to meet MilSpec™ durability standards, unlike your generic shitty macbook from BestBuy™.
(Though, it would save my hardware from original USB Killer™ and similar designs, my Thinkpad™ notebook has no overvoltage protection from outer powersources, like Battery powered™ USB Killer™)

USB killers aren't virus...

the pic has a skull on it, that means it's a virus dumbass

That argument would hold if it your hypothetical wasn't true

Look at gun-free countries and compare the homicide rate against that of the U.S.

>must be a nightmare for schools

Aren't they expensive though? Last I checked they were like $150. You would have to be a pretty dedicated prankster kid to buy a usb stick that costs that much.