Do you miss him, Sup Forums?

do you miss him, Sup Forums?

i dont mean it in a macfag way

we have to accept that the guy pulled pretty based all-around products, and neat detail here and there

i still prefer (even if i dont use it) an apple that releases cool stuff, than the shit they are pulling off right now

they are getting literally beat by chinks, which is sad to be quite honest familia

Other urls found in this thread:

macrumors.com/2001/10/23/apples-new-thing-ipod/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone.

yeah, absolutely. i hated apple products but you couldn't ignore the fact that smartphones were dog shit in 2005 with no sign of them getting any better in the foreseeable future. the iPhone lit a fire under google's ass to make android less shit.

portable media players in 2000 were awful as well. the iPod similarly forced competitors to take that product category more seriously.

i think it's also arguable that the surface pro, surface book, and maybe even the surface studio were microsoft's (apt) responses to the fact that apple was just trashing the fuck out of PC manufacturers, and microsoft figured it needed to step in to show others how to not suck dick at making good laptops and tablets.

i do. the watch is shit. airpods are the first new apple product i've been remotely excited about in a long time.

Still an -whore, but i worry that they really don't have anything cool in the pipeline this time around. hopefully they will buy out/build a product to compete with Magic Leap.

Steve Job's entire deal at Apple was being obnoxious. He wasn't a brilliant engineer, or even a brilliant designer. He just knew good when he saw it and didn't mind calling the people who worked for him retarded when they made something dumb. When Apple did release something dumb (and they did, often, no matter what nostalgia tells you), they refined it until it was good.

What Apple needs now is a trusted figure to tell them when they're being stupid.

this is the best thing Apple has done this year: make Microsoft beat them i their own hype game

I think the Steve Jobs hate is just edge. He was CEO of Apple when they revolutionized OS'es with the Macintosh (everyone on this board, no matter what OS you use, it owes a lot to the Macintosh OS)

he was CEO of the company (again) when they revolutionized telephones.

Not even mentioning the iPod because it's too easy to point at all the mp3 players that preceded it, but let's be real: the iPod was better

still fucking hate iTunes and their model but if you gave me an iPod with my favorite albums on it I'm using the hell out of it

i guess i mentioned the iPod, call the cops i don't give a fuck

>iPod
everybody forgets the original iPod didn't play mp3s

the true innovation from the Apple part was for the artist side of things: the digital music store

the other stuff followed

>He just knew good when he saw it and didn't mind calling the people who worked for him retarded when they made something dumb.
That makes me worry for when Torvalds is not maintaining Linux anymore. Who can take over as the highest maintainer?

>they refined it until it was good.
The original MB Air was pretty bad, but the ones after that were pretty good. Decent example. They do try to do that with the Watch now, though. First the OS was bad, so they tried improving that. Now they want to go into an entirely different direction: fitness instead of fashion.
But I would really rather have Jobs saying "no" sometimes, than this mess they're pushing out. It doesn't really say quality anymore. It used to be more that Apple guaranteed some quality and usability, but now you have to keep paying attention to not accidentally use a magic mouse during work, because if it runs out of juice you have to start looking for an entirely different mouse instead of just batteries or connecting it to a charger.
Charging port on the bottom of a mouse? That's where you need a "no".

shit i didn't realize that. I remember my buddy got one and it was 400 bucks. I was still burning CD's at the time but as a portable music player that thing was dank.

The iPod's touch wheel was great. obv with smartphones all that shit is obsolete and useless now (my opinion) but I did get a Sansa (lol) and even though it had color screen, played videos, held a lot more music it was a shitty product compared to a plain iPod. Eventually my car got culturally enriched I haven't owned a portable music player since

>airpods are the first new apple product i've been remotely excited about in a long time.
What the fuck is wrong with you?

What happened to your car?

i still miss the touch wheel

and how about the headphones getting unplugged and playback stopping

DE TA ILS

not the guy you replied to but you raise interesting points so deal with it
>That makes me worry for when Torvalds is not maintaining Linux anymore. Who can take over as the highest maintainer?
yeah, this is a huge concern. i'm a grad student studying online collaboration and shit and the leading theory seems to be that a strong core group is necessary to make an open source project (or something like it) actually work. it might be possible to hand that off to an administrative council, or to a protege or whatever, but if he just up and died right now i'm not sure that the rest of his core team would be able to fill the gap. we don't have a TON of case studies of organizations founded more or less *on* the internet that have outlasted their founders (in part because the internet has kind of just barely been mainstream for long enough for these project leads to die). guido van rossum's death would shake the python community, but it's kind of clear tactically where they would go from here on out. not as clear with linux.

also i feel like almost all of apple's first generation products are terrible, if not absolutely all of them. my bet is it's deliberate; get something out there that sort of articulates the idea they have (a certain take on the smartwatch, or a PMP, or a tablet), and then they course correct based on feedback in various forms (professional, customers, etc...). there was a while where the new iPhone generations with untested features (like the 4 with the glass back, and the 5S with touchID) would get replaced much more liberally than in other generations. the rationalization was that apple was probably just accepting that they wouldn't make as much money on those generations while they treated us as something like consumers who have taken a step or two toward being a "beta tester". early adopters are often willing beta testers anyway, so it makes sense.

No, I can't say I will miss Steve "Fruit cures cancer" Jobs. Apple being an uninspired mess is a CEO situation, but provided they pivot to someone who has a brain, it'll be a Steve Ballmer-like transition.

You retarded piece of absolute shit. Don't you understand that the mouse almost never needs to be charged? And if it does need to be charged, leaving it for 5 minutes will charge it for weeks. It's literally one coffee break a month if you're too dumb to recharge it over night once a year. Are you so stupid that you don't understand this? And where else should they have put the port? On top? On the front? No thanks, I don't want any ugly fucking wangblows/android solutions on my devices. You're literally trying to come up with retarded excuses as to why you shouldn't acknowledge that this wasn't the best design choice, which it is. You're like a person arguing against the automobile because you don't like the fact that you have to refuel. Well keep using your fucking horse and carriage then you backwards fucking retard.

this.
It's not that I didn't like apple, I just think that whenever he pushed something, anything in a direction, he pushed it the wrong way

i don't get it is this copypasta or?

really? smartphones weren't using capacitive touchscreens or offering multitouch until the iPhone came out. you might have lots of other criticism about it, but arguably these were two important features that he was dead right on. resistive screens were so fucking awful. i usually think back on earlier parts of my life fondly, but there's no rose tinted shading on using a stylus on a resistive touch screen display. it was crap.

he knew how to run a company and market products. can't wait to see tim cook step down

Granted I might be in the minority but I only use my stylus anyways. don't necessarily attribute that to jobs anyways.

using your stylus on a capacitive screen is a whole world apart from a resistive touch screen. a capacitive touch screen is still basically usable without a stylus. a resistive one is basically not.

>also i feel like almost all of apple's first generation products are terrible
>early adopters are often willing beta testers anyway
I can see your point. Never update to the latest OS X release, or now macOS, has been said for as long as I can remember. I've been using Mac since Leopard. Didn't upgrade then because you it was much more troublesome getting the disc. But after they made upgrades free, it's always been advised to wait for at least the week after the first point update. (10.10.1, for example).
>not as clear with linux.
Linux is massive, with the extreme amount of development going on. So far more difficult to manage, presumably. It's also critical. It's used in life saving equipment, trading, you name it. It has to be performant, stable and feature packed, portable, all at the same time. Hence the notorious anger of Torvalds towards that senior dev who is supposed to be a trusted, who made two rookie mistakes.

Which brings us to:
>It's literally one coffee break a month if you're too dumb to recharge it over night once a year.
> I don't want any ugly fucking wangblows/android solutions on my devices.
Steve Jobs seemed to treat the products Apple shipped with the same level of care. At least it appeared that he wanted the products he produced to be great.
Fixing your Arch Linux bugs for 5 minutes every month, or having sudden forced Windows update reboots for 5 minutes every month is also not a problem, because you were dumb enough to hibernate your Windows workstation overnight, or didn't check the Arch forums or whatever?
All just to avoid having easily replaceable batteries or a more practical port location?
You have to work around the problem. It's not functional.

The old Mac Pro was functional, upgradeable, maintainable. There is no more high performance workstation for Mac users because they ditched that functional design. More examples?

>to be quite honest familia
Why the fuck do you people keep posting this nigger shit? Let it go already goddamn

>the iPhone lit a fire under google's ass to make android less shit

You mean it "inspired" them to invent Android. It didn't exist before the iPhone.

Android is pre 2005 nigger

>everybody forgets the original iPod didn't play mp3s

Err yes it did.

macrumors.com/2001/10/23/apples-new-thing-ipod/

>what happened to your car?

i mean my car got broken into and the Sansa was stolen. never bothered replacing it i just use my phone nowadays

what the fuck
i swear to god it didn't

im confused as fuck right now
maybe i am mixing things up to the sony walkmans from back then, that only supported ATTRAC or whatever it was called back then

kek

They’re the only good existing Bluetooth earphones

Do you all remember how cumbersome mp3 players were before the ipod.

If there was one thing the ipod did well, it made loading mp3s easier for the masses/casuals.

he meant the modern form.
Android is a clone of iOS slapped over Linux + Java for some reason
originally iPod played ONLY mp3s. later they got AAC and ALAC
os x was comfy
miles ahead of competitors
now it`s only slightly ahead

at first i was glad as i thought it was the end of anti-user products from apple

now its even worse.
>people actually line up outside for days to use products with restrictions

so glad I am not low-IQ

>If there was one thing the ipod did well, it made loading mp3s easier for the masses/casuals.
nah, itunes was and still is shit

the best mp3 players where the drag and drop ones

apple used the 'muh database' to shove the DRM scheme

in my book, the ipod included the best screen, interface, and physical interface (the clickwheel), and the stablishment's favorite digital store

but once we got past that, i still remember one of my friends, who bought an ipod fat nano, and still remembers how shitty it was to use itunes at that time

Anyone know of any random-shopper bots/sites?

I just want to pay $30 and have 10 shitty random things delivered.

google bought android before the iPhone was announced. it was just dogshit at the time.

I miss the PPC Apple. Back before everything became soulless slabs of boring metal.

drag and drop music objects to itunes

so i think you're right that linux is in tons of high performance stuff, but my worry is that if linux just stopped moving forward right now, we would still probably see legacy machines running operating systems built around a kernel that stopped advancing in 2016. i don't think it could ever get quite that bad, but the more likely outcome would be that the kernel would split and focus on linux itself would sort of not go anywhere *substantive*, while distributions around the kernel would continue to grow (and maybe entrench themselves in features that would-be kernel developers would like to break to make movement forward)

I'm glad he's dead, I'm glad he's gone.

relaxorino famorigliamboghinisaurus

I suppose you're right, but that doesn't exactly help the BSDs out there. Although the BSDs have the "problem" that Linux is more popular. Without Linux, surely FreeBSD would be under much more active development. But now it can quite easily take from Linux for itself and talk about ZFS and things like that.

Yes, he inspired good ideas that were marred by Apple's obstinate desire to slap everything into their "ecosystem". Other companies took the good ideas and ran with them.

I wish he was still around, not necessary working directly on some products but at least overseeing things, I doubt that he would be able to just simply oversee tho.
It would have been interesting where he would take macs to, he liked them, they were his kids.

>apple releases shit
catalog for $300

Yeah Sony were retards fro ATRAC.
Maybe you are thinking that the first iPhone didn't do 3G or have the App Store (for reals)

I'm a macfag and I miss Steve so fucking much. The Mac lineup is a fucking joke right now. a JOKE. Honestly, if Steve Jobs was still around, every Mac would have USB-c everywhere and there'd be no need for dongles because he would've forced the whole indutry to adopt it through sheer force of will.

No

Some things never change

drag and drop as in: i put whatever i want on the device using explorer/finder/command line, and the device reads it on boot

>or have the App Store (for reals)
yeah that one is pretty amazing
even on wikipedia, they credit the App Store idea to cydia

No, I remember coming to Sup Forums the day he died, was a right fucking spectacle. I hadn't been on Sup Forums in about two years at the time, I knew as soon as I heard the news I had to come here though.

i wish he was here just so the apple watch wouldnt be such a disappointment

then he could die again

post yfw apple is now selling a 300$ book filled with pics of apple products.

>i wish he was here just so the apple watch wouldnt be such a disappointment
what does this even mean? he wouldn't have made it better, he wasn't a great engineer or anything.

He was great seller and excellent at shilling his products

So? that's all after the fact. the product would always be shit. And besides, microsoft already carries on his spirit of salesmanship and design, just look at surface studio, it did catering to designers better than he ever managed

The user wich you replied to forst was talking about apple keynotes and not the apple products

I almost thought that was a very belated April fools joke when I first heard about it, is it just a cash grab? These last few product announcements really come off as them milking their blind fan base for everything they've got.

I have a Macbook Air from mid-2011. It's got shitty battery life but the damn thing works good for basic internet and work stuff. It's still got regular USB 2 ports as well. I paid a lot for it but almost 6 years later I still use it and I've only ever had one major issue that required a motherboard replacement. I also used an iPhone 5 before I switched over to a Nexus 5x.

These days I look at Apple's hardware lineup and I can't find any reasons why I would want any of it. When I switched off of iOS there wasn't anything I couldn't get on Android. The Macs though are where things are going downhill fast for me. I really like OSX's UI as a user experience, but the problem is other than browse the web what am I actually going to use it for?

With the death of aperture on top of stupid decisions related to final cut is there even any commercial software in regular use for professional applications you can't get on Windows these days?

Other than overpriced facebook machines I really don't see who's gonna buy their laptops.

Yeah I miss being an applefag, and it all went to shit when he died.

My wallet doesn't miss it though!

/thread

Hire me as CEO and pay me billions and I too can be a narcissistic asshole who shits all over the work of my subordinates 18+ hours a day until I'm satisfied.