What the hell is going on? Microsoft joining Linux foundation? What the literal fuck? Get in here damn it!

What the hell is going on? Microsoft joining Linux foundation? What the literal fuck? Get in here damn it!

techcrunch.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-joins-the-linux-foundation/?ncid=rss

Trump getting elected caused us to diverge into an alternate world line.

>"Everyone is moving to Linux to escape Win10, turns out people don't like being spied on, what can we do!?"
>"I know, lets infiltrate Linux, and slowly, over time, get our spyshit into some of their most trusted distros!"

Embrace,
Extend,
Extinguish.

you seem to be lost, reddit transplant.

Seems like I better get a decent distro now, but the question is how long have Microsoft agents been involved with Linux from the get go. Surely this isn't some spur of the moment type deal.

Are they trying to use Linux for the phones now or what?

>implying Sup Forums hasn't been reddit for at least 3 years now

Oh, the delusion.

inb4 Microsoft makes their own Linux distro to appeal to Enterprise

Think about a Linux server that handled Windows-based authentication the way Windows Server does. It would be lights out for Red Hat.

Pretty sure they've been helping support linux to some extent for decades.

So will I be able to play good games with linux now or is no fun allowed still?

Microsoft has invested millions in OSS and FOSS in the past. When you have as much money as Microsoft you can afford to literally piss money away on pet projects like these.

>It would be lights out for Red Hat.
Red Hat is on Azure and is part of the .NET Foundation

I see the light now...
Microsoft is going to buy Red Hat.

I'd actually look forward to that.

Before they bought Xamarin, it was closed source and cost $1k for a single dev license.

Now Xamarin is FOSS, free beer and freedom under Microsoft.

Enjoy spyware planted into systemd (if it isn't there already).

Implementing linux isn't a walk in the park as it's a quickly moving target, so they barely can play the J# trick again.

>Google joined the .NET Foundation
>Samsung (also a .NET Foundation member) is releasing .NET dev tools for all of its IoT devices
>Visual Studio for macOS
>SQL Server works on Linux now

Jesus christ.

Possibly this

This

>overestimating how much Microsoft cares about Windows 10

Their income is overwhelmingly produced by Azure, Office 365, and enterprise licensing for things like Windows Server, SQL Server, Active Directory, and Exchange.

Also, do you think Ballmer is lurking in the shadows somewhere? Over the past few years, MS has done nothing but pump money and dev time into FOSS projects, and even start gradually open-sourcing their own dev tools.

I suppose the cynicism is understandable, but I doubt any of you were even older than 5 years old when Ballmer called Linux cancer. That shit was 15 years ago.

microsoft is again late to the party, because linux is obsolete and will soon be replaced by systemd

You already sort of can. A lot of shit runs well on wine and half of my steam library runs natively on Linux.

I just wish steam let us run games through Linux so that I didn't have to run 2 versions of steam.

There are plenty of other places you can sperg out on.

>55
Checked

Apple used khtml to create webkit (and fucked over khtml devs)
Darwin kernal of "macOS" is opensource

why pay people when you can use people's work for free?

Everybody forgot Microsoft has been working with Linux since they made an Alliance with Novell around 2007.

Microsoft only works with Linux on the server side, and just recently moved to the developer side.

>Muh EEE
Probably, but that at the end means better tools and choices for admins and devs. For years, freetards have been paranoic of Microsoft dominance, and is during these years Linux has been rising and getting more popular than ever, and Microsoft is helping with that.

At the end, Microsoft realized they must work with Linux if they want to stay in the game. It is not an issue for them if a sysadmin uses Linux for their email server... hosted on Azure.

>but that at the end means better tools and choices for admins and devs
This.

I could not care less about the politics or muh EEE.

As a dev and BI architect, Azure + cross-platform .NET + compatibility and integrations with fucking everything is making my life so easy.

>Everyone is moving to Linux
Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

Once 7 stops updates or micro$oft decides to force a "upgrade" again, i'll probably move to lunix and i know others probably would as well.

>I could not care less about the politics or muh EEE
Because, as you spelled out in your post, you're biased and only care to further your career at the expense of whatever else. Fucking retard.

>you're biased and only care to further your career at the expense of whatever else
No arguments here.

To me, I am the most important person in the world.

freetards on suicide watch

>BI architect
Lmao

My father has already. He's not the techiest, but he's also not the most tech illiterate either. Definitely knows to turn it off and on again. He's loving it. The ability to make the font size on everything larger too helps him (and me, to be honest- the way that monitor is set up is kind of asking for eyestrain) to see more easily.

Systemd accomplishes that for them.