Tfw I fell for the ethernet meme

>tfw I fell for the ethernet meme

There is literally no fucking difference in performance compared to my good WiFi card.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mbps-Wireless-Express-TL-WDN4800/dp/B007GMPZ0A/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166076
amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-Network-Bluetooth-7260-HMWWB-R/dp/B00N7474CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479327161&sr=8-2&keywords=intel ac 7260
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>wifi card
Enjoy your tumors

>>tfw I fell for the ethernet meme
>There is literally no fucking difference in performance compared to my good WiFi card.

>T. faggot

No (you) for you

bad bait, but i'm the one replying, so i guess you won.

Bait

lol

Enjoy you're ping spikes and being the cancer in online multiplayer.
It all depends on the distance and obstacles/walls between you and the the router.

I've been think about ditching this retarded wire running through the house. Would this be good enough? To not suck shit ?amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mbps-Wireless-Express-TL-WDN4800/dp/B007GMPZ0A/

>Enjoy you're ping spikes and being the cancer in online multiplayer.

and being the cancer in online multiplayer
I'm Plat in LoL and I've never been connected via ethernet.

This is the one I was using

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166076

Plug n Play, very easy setup.

bait

>gaymen

>plat
>good

k

multiplayer is for casual dudebros

Sure. Sustained 120 MB/s transfer speeds and

try shifting 100's of files or even a few large files, wifi can't keep up with ethernet even if it's the latest 80mhz tri-band wifi, even cat5 kicks its arse,

>try shifting 100's of files or even a few large files

Why? This is a computer for gaymen not some sort of pencil pushing dead end job.

>gaming over wifi
enjoy huge lag and lost packets when your neighbour uses their microwave.

Not using something != Their performance is equal

Plat isn't good and League of Legends isn't difficult at all.

Microwaves don't affect the 5ghz band

Microwave ovens operate at around 2.4 GHz
Modern WLAN operates at 5.0 to 5.2 GHz

>Plat isn't good and League of Legends isn't difficult at all

>t. Cardboard 7 adc main

It still requires a good connection with no ping spikes or packet loss you mong

Wow I didn't know those operated at 5ghz. Oh wait they don't.

Must suck to be you where you can't even afford dual band equipment.

not that guy, but environment and device really affects whether 2.4 or 5 is actually going to be functional. you can't just assuse that 5 band always is the best.

Yeah, and harmonics from an almost 2kW RF source will be practically non-existent one octave higher.

The octave is far above 5 GHz.

(You)

it probably matters more in fps games than moba

league having its servers west coast only might also matter more than an abnormally dropped amount of packets though

especially a piece of shit like csgo where every fight comes down to milisecond reaction times and netcode luck and whoever gets the spread luck on their side for that particular fight

My ethernet is worse because cable modem router combo is just shit it or maybe a 10m cable is too long for it.

When you want to copy files over different PC, you don't want 2 MBps.

In a situation where only one device at a time is generating heavy traffic (HD Streaming or whatever), then yeah... you're not going to notice much of a difference.

Try running a media server and streaming 1080p to two or more clients over wifi, especially on a consumer grade router, and you'll quickly see why people like ethernet.

if you had said no noticeable difference I'd agree with you.
It's pretty hard to tell the difference between 700-900Mbps and solid 1000Mbps outside of copying very big files

There's latency, consistency, security, being full duplex, higher throughput available, etc. Wired connections are just superior. Wi-Fi is for convenience.

Both my roommates are Ethernet fags and I'm sick of all these cables running all over the house.

> need internet on attic
> big ass house
> 200$ router
> get 78 mbps
> buy 25 meter cable
> hit 500 mbps on cable

>if you had said no noticeable difference I'd agree with you

I should've worded the OP better, that was what I was going for.

6/10 too obvious.

Still chuckled.

>good WiFi card

even a wifi from 10 years ago can max out average comcast "broadband"

>no drivers to have to deal with
>no WPA or any other security cause its not needed
>basically always connected
>no flooded channels
>can connect to the internet without any addition cards or other nunfuckery
>never had an ethernet port just stop working

λ sudo ping -c100000 -f virgo
PING virgo (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- virgo ping statistics ---
100000 packets transmitted, 100000 received, 0% packet loss, time 30064ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.112/0.240/1.714/0.077 ms, ipg/ewma 0.300/0.226 ms

WLAN fags report back

this

Maxing out a 25 Mbps service is one thing. Streaming or file transfer over the network is another.

2/10 retarded.

ignore that last post if you saw it, I clicked far above the submit button but it sent it anyways

latency has always been less than 1ms for me on wifi. Even on my POS thinkpads wireless card it's 1ms or less
and unless you are across the house, or have 700 wireless networks around you (or have a shitty AP) then that isn't a problem either (and latency is still 1ms or lower)
And if you have any halfway decent wireless card/AP then you can be sending and receiving data at the same time.
and again, you most likely aren't going to need >800Mbps to your laptop 24/7, and I think you can wait 1 second longer to download that 1GB file

If you notice your wifi is faster than wired, maybe it's time to upgrade to gigabit ethernet.

Those things are cheap now, no need to stick to 10baseT forever, no matter the retro feel of it.

>Even on my POS thinkpads wireless card it's 1ms or less
That's still much slower than the 100-300ns ping times for my ethernet network.
>And if you have any halfway decent wireless card/AP then you can be sending and receiving data at the same time.
I can't think of any consumer equipment that supports this. Regardless, all bandwidth is shared with Wi-Fi.

nah we should all go back to baud modems

REPEAT AFTER ME

OLDER IS ALWAYS BETTER

(also, legaler)

League serves aren't on the west coast anymore.

>That's still much slower than the 100-300ns ping times for my ethernet network.
>implying that you can notice that

>I can't think of any consumer equipment that supports this. Regardless, all bandwidth is shared with Wi-Fi.
nigga you retarded?
this has exist in consumer grade devices for YEARS
even my 2011 macbook pro has 3x3 wireless antennas on it, and my apple dildo router has 3x3
shit you can get one for $25 on amazon
amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-Network-Bluetooth-7260-HMWWB-R/dp/B00N7474CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479327161&sr=8-2&keywords=intel ac 7260

MIMO is not full duplex, it's just aggregating a bunch of half duplex links.

All wireless transmits in half-duplex, so you are correct. Whether cell phones, wifi, UHV, etc. However, the TX/RX can be so quick, it seems to be at the same time.

Nigga are YOU fucking stupid MIMO = Multiple input, Multiple Output. Not I/O at the same time. It increase the bandwidth of either the send of the receive.

Schmuck.

All wireless operates at half-duplex. Either it TX or it RX.

Go into wifi card settings, and show me where you can put the mode to full-duplex.

No, there are full duplex wireless links (mostly for PTP backhaul applications). Wi-Fi just isn't one of them.

No, there is full deuplex emulation like TDMA and CDMA. No radio channel can be both tx and RX. impossible.

Take it from someone who streams steam games.

You're wrong.

Yes, that's why those systems use multiple channels.

>Take it from someone who streams steam games

You're lower than Sup Forums fags

no, they use multiple frequencies.

Ok.

2 x 2.45 GHz is 4.90 GHz bruh.

go suck a dick, OP
i bet you have an iPhone.

>yes, they use multiple frequencies.

FTFY

I agree, and that's why I only use it with stuff that doesn't move around frequently.

i only stream walmart games

>muhh weeefee card
Normalfag
Wireless NIC

There's nothing wrong with saying Wi-Fi card.

>gaming
kys

That's such a fucking non-issue that to imply otherwise is the peak of faggotry.

That's like making a big deal that people say "apple" instead of "Malus pumila"

Normans refer wireless networking to just Internet or facebook now and Ethernet as "Wifi cable".

Does this mean just knowing how to use a keyboard guarantees job security?

If it's actually PCI(e) or PCMCIA then I'm okay with it.

Of course. You don't even need to know what the numpad is for because only accountants use that according to Sup Forums.

the fuck else is it supposed to be?

I've never seen any laptop with an integrated Wi-Fi NIC, actually.

If you see no difference between WiFi and ethernet, you're internet speeds are so slow the bottleneck of WiFi isn't limiting you yet.

USB I'm afraid.

What's the best laptop wifi card with 3 antenna pins?

Intel or Broadcom AC units.

ITT: A bunch of normies with casual use network demands so OF COURSE they don't understand why you might need something better.

>you're internet speeds are so slow

I get 170/20

Thanks for proving my point.

Thats top of the line here in burgerland

>burgerland
Found your problem.

The problem with wifi is the quality drop-off with distance. If you're immediately next to the access point, you get LAN latencies.

If you're a room or two away, your connection starts to degrade fast. Enjoy your random latency spikes and dropped packets.

I've never in my life gotten 10+ MBPS on a download on my WiFi network, even though I have a good router.

Plugged in to the same router, on the same connection, I easily download at 15+ MBPS.

The biggest issue with WiFi is it's half duplex.

>plat
>good

what the fuck ? holy shit.

>Not realizing the difference is dependent on interference.
Great job dumbass. Have a gold star.

>just don't reply.jpg
>replies

if you want to get cancer in life for a minor pleasure you'd might as well continue using ethernet and go fuck hookers and get HPV

(You)

And that it's subject to interference. And bandwidth is shared between all connections.

>There is literally no fucking difference in performance compared to my good WiFi card.
You get around 1Gbps on your wifi?

>>There is literally no fucking difference in performance compared to my good WiFi card.
But there's an enormous difference in terms of reliability and security.