I have an i5 4690k. I'm considering upgrading to an i7-6700k because of the microcenter $140 off sale

I have an i5 4690k. I'm considering upgrading to an i7-6700k because of the microcenter $140 off sale.

Worth or no?

Skylake overall I think is.

Not much point having to buy DDR4 for a minor upgrade (and new mobo)

If you want USB 3(?)/DDR4 and extra hyperthread, otherwise its waste.

At this point, wait on Zen and see how it performs, first. At the very least, you'll see Intel price drops

Definitely not worth it unless you do a lot of video encoding work.

z170 from a z87 board will get you at least a few fps. Very easy OC, better dac/amp, ddr4, and better cpu.

It's worth the upgrade.

It will get him like 10 FPS tops and the price of i7s are scheduled to drop significantly in January.

Intel cpus don't work like that. Especially the good ones.

Also it's 2016. The years of money actually getting you significant upgrades is long over. 980tis are keeping up with 1080s...

>muh gaymes
Fuck off back to your containment board desu ne.

The leaked Intel pricing guidelines say the i7-6700k will be $120 less and the i7-6800k will be $200 less by mid January.

Yes so like $250ish.
>i7-6800k
Not z170. The 6800k is already behind

the jump from haswell to skylake is not worth it. i bought haswell in 2016 because i didn't want to spend 100 dollars on ddr4 since i already had some ddr3 sticks laying around.

That's a really nice deal. Too bad the nearest Microcenter is 250 miles away.

Just the unlocked "k"s; i5-6600k ($180), i7-6700k ($260) and i7-6800k ($330). The locked skylakes are still at their normal MC prices.

I'm doing it. I don't need it but I want it and this is the lowest I think it'll be for a while because new intel chips won't be a far leap ahead enough to justify lowering the price on this next year. It's a gamble but as long as you got the cash and the will.

I wish there were more stores. Any reason why they don't? Is it because the property values of where they are help keep prices low?

if all you do is game then it's probably not worth it. just oc the 4690k.

Even if they drop in price a 6700k is going to be a great CPU for at least till next black Friday.

you can have USB 3 on LGA 1150, so that's not necessarily a part of his upgrade, DDR4 and extra hyperthreading are correct though, and I agree with you on saying it's a waste

4790k masterrace