Is it possible for human to achieve immortality ?

is it possible for human to achieve immortality ?

How science can make us immortal?

Surely I can't be the only one who doesn't want to be immortal?

How do we know it lives forever if we only live 99years or so

It's not immortal since it still dies to disease, injury, starvation, etc.

>is it possible for human to achieve immortality ?
No.

>How science can make us immortal?
It can't and it won't.

You WILL die in your lifetime. Deal with it.

>99years
damn nigga you got some good genes
I'm sure we'll find some sort of repairing anti aging type of treatment eventually but I feel like you would just go full Jeffrey Dahmer/insane after the first 200 years. That is just so much fucking time.

>you will die in your lifetime

Damn hard facts right there.

i meant something that can prevent us like anti-aging
our cell would never gets old

>[...] it can revert to the polyp stage, forming a new polyp colony. It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation, which alters the differentiated state of the cells and transforms them into new types of cells.
> Theoretically, this process can go on indefinitely, effectively rendering the jellyfish biologically immortal, [...]

I think humans are too complicated to be made immortal.

Too many factors. Too many cells. Too many things to go wrong.

But is the end of your death within your lifetime?

Only if your inner skeleton overpowers you and escapes.

i guess when you start dying it is but once you're actually dead it's not, so no

You aren't. Even if something like mind uploading were possible in my lifetime, I can imagine the novelty would wear off pretty quickly when you realise you can't die (again) and have to remain conscious with whatever mental baggage / illnesses you had in life.

Upload ourselves to the internet.

What I think is going to be interesting to see in my lifetime is more immersive VR, I'm sure we'll hit a breakthrough within 50 years to the point where you can just be in a dream like state and forget it's even VR. People will go insane when shit like that comes out, so apathetic towards real life while living in a world of your own creation. I imagine it will be like those really long dreams you wake up from that you forget your day to day identity even existed.

As far as we know aging is caused by damage to the cells during mitosis. Over time this builds up until the cells no longer function properly and become diseased. There are actually a number of scientists working on ways to reverse or halt this process using gene therapy. The discovery of crispr/cas9 is a very promising tool for conducting gene therapy, and within a few decades it could be used to create the first functionally immortal humans. There are other life extension technologies that are being researched as well, like medical nanobots.

I do not think we could preserve our body forever, but kind of only keeping the brain alive should be possible, or at least some parts of it that are responsible for conciousness. And then all you have to do is add the rest to it.

Jellyfish on the other hand, are really immortal assuming ideal conditions, but given enough time every jellyfish would catch some kind of disease make a bad decision get hurt or alike.

Overall: you can sustain for a while, but never immortal.

That jellyfish so leaned over

Wrong question. Right question: Do we really want humanity to be immortal?

Think about it, no more evolution. No more progress.

>but once you're actually dead it's not
So the end of life includes death but the end of death doesn't include death?

i like this statement

Uploading our consciousness to a super computer

yeah because once you're dead you won't be alive anymore so that can't be included in your life. you start dying when you're alive but by the time it's fully finished you're dead I would guess

drinking cum works miracles

fucking deep
really makes you think

I'm immoral, prove me wrong.

and how are you gonna do that? connecting your brain and computer by using usb cable?

>when someone uses a USB killer on your brain

lol. this would be the best scam to euthanize people once overpopulation becomes a problem. you can use a neural network to learn someones behavior. kill their family and show their computer counterparts and convince them to get euthanized voluntarily

>I'm immoral, prove me wrong.
I don't know, you seem like a pretty nice guy to me.

>when you connect your brain's USB cable on reverse and break your brain stem
Should have have fallen for the USB-C meme

Yes, but then you get to lead a robit army. All in all, good time for everyone.

kek

Im stealing this idea, goy

ok. kill the niggers first

testing

What if this is already the case and we already forgot our day to day existence, living in a virtual reality?

>is it possible for human to achieve immortality ?
Yes

Don't know how hard it would be to do necessary things stop telomeres from breaking down tho

you guys are literally toddler tier dumb.
there's no immortality, stop fighting it and just accept for fuck sake.it doesnt matter if you live in a robot body or an "immortal" bilogical body,the planet and then later on the whole universe is still gonna die one day.there's no immortality ACCEPT IT FAGGOTS.

>You WILL die in your lifetime. Deal with it.

Thank GOD for that

i don't wanna die

>implying you can't just time travel

> Not understanding that immortality is spitting o. God/nature.It is surpassing the natural/godly limitation set upon you.It is godhood

I'll answer your question if you can define life.

Techbabby pseuds need not apply.

The beginning of the eternal void is approaching.

I'd never want to be immortal in a human body.
Now uploading our minds into a computer, that's something I can get behind

But you will never have sex

Why the fuck would you want to be immortal in this world we live in. I'm dreading the fact that I'll live till about 80, hope I get taken before then...

>Live forever in cyberspace

>Stick dick in moist hole only to be disappointed later.

I think the choice is clear.

As if I would anyway

Living is the true price we pay for our sins. Immortality would be he'll.

You wont's steal my immortal soul, satan.

Think about all the old people. Imagine if they live forever. That is a shitty world.

ITT Sup Forums TRIES TO OUTSMART /sci/

Now this is an evangelion thread

I'm pretty sure I read a scientific study, where scientists managed to inhibit time-based natural cell death in mice, thus doubling their lifespan. What was also interesting is that the mice did not physically age either, they were youthful till the day they died. I'd imagine inhibiting cell death would increase the risk of cancer by a lot, but technology seems to be there to prolong human life

>I'm dreading the fact that I'll live till about 80, hope I get taken before then...
you know you can just shoot yourself right?

>Africa will hold over 75% of the world's population by mid-century
Will the euthanasia machines be ready in time?

NGE is overrated and asuka is shit.

Yes. Assuming DNA replication can be perfected or sufficiently effective cancer treatments are developed, then as soon as you can artificially extend the Hayflick limit (possibly by extending telomeres), then you can live for a long time.

Kill yourself brainlet.

i hope so

immortal =/= invincible =/= invulnerable

Immortal =/= ageless

Stay mad until you die, retarded faggot.

You gotta love all the oversimplification in this thread
>muh telomeres
>muh cancer
>muh CRISPR

brain cells have such a high degree of mutation over the course of their lifetime. This has nothing to do with replication. More so, some models propose that this mutation is part of mental development, leaving the juvenile state of non-mutated, identical cells that allows for brain regrowth and creating the mature mind. Now, it could also be that the mature mind simply has more neurons to provide more processes, but the fact that so much is unknown is why immortality is still so far, with current ideas potentially allowing continued mental degradation or creating a baby brain.

TL;DR having a body live forever is dumb if the mind is not sustainable with it

Lol butthurt

That would be extremely painful.

Because I have a positive outlook on life.
I enjoy you crazy people and want to see what becomes of life in general.

Whatever they're doing to have hillary alive.
They have a top tier team of necromancers and liches reanimating her corpse every morning or something.

>he wants to live past his 30s
what the fuck?

How much does being a neromancer pay?
How about a Lich?
Junior Lich?
Senior Lich?
Elder Lich?

Very much this.

I heard some crazy shit about head transplants being used to possibly dilute cellular damage and junk, from the brain, into a freshly created body to reverse damage.