Windows ME

Was it really that bad? I don't understand the hate on it. It just seemed like a redesign of windows 98 to me.

it was basically windows 98 final edition.

no it wasn't really that bad in hindsight, but back then we didn't know the glory days of xp/2k that were to come and reign for 15+ years.

compared to xp/2k yes it was that bad.

anyway it had bugs or some shit that people didn't like and by the time it was patched up even further everybody was using xp.

>Leave the computer alone for 10 minutes
>It does literally nothing but show the idling desktop
>BSOD
>"I don't understand the hate on it."

Only good thing about ME was the fact it had drivers built in for USB Flash drives. Though at the time flash drives were new and expensive and only had like maybe 128-256mb capacity.

The backlash of Windows ME was primarily caused by device drivers. You see, Windows ME supported both Windows 95/98, and Windows 2000-style drivers. Most systems at the time of ME's release would have relied on a mix of both driver types to make all the hardware function properly. But what happened was, the double-compatibility was poorly implemented and the driver types didn't play nice together - causing the system instabilities that everyone complained about. Yet others didn't see why ME was so poorly received - because they only needed one device driver type for all their hardware - so it worked as intended. As a result, if you're wanting to run ME today for whatever reason, I would very much suggest you do it on older hardware (such as a Pentium 1 or 2) to reduce the need of mixed device driver types.

this x 1000

I didnt mind the os in general, but it fucking kept crashing. was probably only an issue for some people because of certain types of hardware.

Even then 2000 had that. And both had native zip support in explorer.

My dad once pulled a flashdrive from a windows ME machine without "safely ejecting". The computer wasnt writing (and should have been reading) from it at the time.

It broke the computer. We had to buy another motherboard.

I suspect it was driver related, but idk.

the flash drive survived perfectly fine.

I never, aside from that one time, have seen pulling a flash drive cause damage to a pc. I work in IT, use flash drives all the time, never "safely eject" and instead just make sure ive exited any programs/files that use the drive.

It was literally the worst OS ever until windows 10.

What about Vista and 8? Those were pretty shit too.

sounds just like Vista to me

I remember a few people who i worked with bought a few machines with win ME pre-installed and they all had boot sectors disapear and the machines needed complete wipes every few weeks of being connected to the internet..... it was hilariously bad.

When I was a kid my dad setup the computer to dual-boot between Win2k for him and WinMe for me. It played all my games fine and it did everything a 9-10yo wanted it to do (which isn't much, dowloading games and fucking with people on chatrooms).

>Only good thing about ME was the fact it had drivers built in for USB Flash drives.
>tfw you're old enough to remember having to install a driver in Windows 98 for a Verbatim Store N Go in 2005
>tfw you're still considered a millenial

What???

>vista
Vista got better with age. It was mostly OEMs putting the bare minimum in their desktop towers for a long time. (eg family member bought a Compaq machine in 2005 with 256mb RAM.) Since there was a 5-6 year gap between XP and Vista, OEMs just kept shipping 2001-tier desktop towers with new """professional""" paint jobs up until 2006 when MS forced them to sell modern specs (at the time).

Vista was a perfect tidal wave of users painfully realizing that they had been sold gimped tech and OEMs being dragged kicking and screaming into modernization.

>win 8
Windows 8 was shit because of Metro being forced everywhere after multiple generations of casuals were taught to expect some form of a start menu on IBM PCs. 8.1 manages Metro a lot better and is actually somewhat good.

This is exactly my experience with it. It came with a new computer my mother bought. Changed it to Win98 SE the next day.

>have a low end PC in 2005
>can't run XP properly but runs 98SE just fine
>didn't want 98SE because it's too old
>installed Windows ME
>as soon as the desktop shows up, a message error pops up saying the kernel is fucked
>couple of minutes passed
>BSOD
>restart and reinstall
>same message appears everytime
>program closes without warning
>memory errors everywhere
>gave up and installed XP anyway
>lag as fuck but works without crashing and BSODing
Hard times I had...

that was my first os, op. it's worthless now. you can't install modern day browsers on it

>I liked WinME
>I never liked XP
>WinME never crashed me
>WinME always worked
what were you faggots doing with your computers back then?

Coming from ORIGINAL 98 it was godsent

Steaming pile of crap, several timed BSOD bugs in the kernel and shit.

Guess I was lucky to have the right hardware. Used it for 3-4 years and it was ok. Actually the worst shit I had was with Vista (when it works it's great, when it doesn't kiss your files goodbye) and win 10 (muh mandatory updates, disabled it now but it's retarded to have go through so much trouble)

I used ME on all the family computers for years and never understood the hate.

We had internet access, we played mechwarrior 2 over LAN, we used printers, faxes, scanners etc etc.

Must have just gotten lucky with the compatibility. I remember no BSODs, no "You have to wipe the whole HDD every few weeks if you use the internet with ME" none of that.

>8.1 manages Metro a lot better and is actually somewhat good

tf 8.1 (plus necessities such as classic shell) is still the most rock solid thing out there, especially on shitty 2gb ram atom windows tablets with attachable keyboards where the dual metro ui can be put to good use.

the horrible ui bugs in current windows 10 is a trainwreck slapped together in haste after vista-esque user butthurt courtesy of "where did the start menu go".

ms sure is slowly ironing out, but much more qa and preparation went into 8 than 10.

Pretty much this.

OP is a 13 year old who has never actually dealt with WinME

/thread

Bro we are millennials, just embrace it.

>Vista got better with age.
omg can we stop this meme already??

Windows XP and Windows 7 were both faster than Windows Vista on the same machine. The Longhorn was too fucking fat to walk.

to this day i don't know why the soundcard driver needed to be reinstalled after every reboot. shit drove me into the hands of redhat 8.

It was fine. It just happened to come out at the same time as every local cowboy was knocking together PCs using cheap Taiwanese shit (mostly Jetway motherboards infected with the capacitor plague) then putting a pirate copy of ME on. Recipe for disaster.

Even Vista wasn't that bad - people mostly misunderstood the change in how free memory is reported and thought it was a guzzler.

Windows 8 was the only truly shit version since 2.0.

>the day you upgraded to XP