Got an UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

BSOD unmountable boot volume error on my aunts laptop. Whats the best data recovery tool i can use?

Other urls found in this thread:

extratorrent.cc/torrent/2838384/Runtime GetDataBack for NTFS and FAT 4.32 Portable Preactivated.html
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=rescatux
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=systemrescue
runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Deezer's Pointdexter (V 0.1.4) Recoverey Tool, or DPRT for short. Be sure after searching for it to download the version I mentioned. Take care, and good luck.

I literally can't find it anywhere :(

Let me guess, you tried Google? You must use a meta search engine since this is very old software. Dogpile is the website you need for all your searching errands. I have been using if for many years. Take care, and good luck.

you guys fuckin with me

not him, but dprt is the shit user
I have it burned to cd and on a usb just in case any of my friends/family fucks over their computers

is there any way you can send a link my way

Linux

You can make an image of the drive, copy files off the drive, and do pretty much anything from a bootable cd or usb drive. I've used finnix alot, it includes testdisk and photorec.

Well i tried an ubuntu live usb because i had one kicking around but it gives me an error when i try to open it up no matter how i try to mount it

The partition is probably messed up bad enough to where Ubuntu won't mount it. If you don't know command line you'd be better off looking into ufsexplorer, they have a live CD that has graphical tools.

snag a copy of getdataback. here's a link to a torrent --
extratorrent.cc/torrent/2838384/Runtime GetDataBack for NTFS and FAT 4.32 Portable Preactivated.html

i know command line to a certain point, but if there is limited to no documentation it may be difficult for me.

I am looking into this now thank you user

System recovery Linux, Rescatux

can this be booted into?

Rescatux is a Debian-based GNU/Linux live distribution that includes a graphical wizard for rescuing broken GNU/Linux installations. The available rescue options include restoring the GRUB bootloader after a Windows installation, Linux and Windows password resets, and Linux file system checks.

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=rescatux

Does it matter if the computer isn't linux?

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=systemrescue

SystemRescueCd is a Gentoo-based Linux system on a bootable CD-ROM or USB drive, designed for repairing a system and data after a crash. It also aims to provide an easy way to carry out administration tasks on a computer, such as creating and editing hard disk partitions. It contains many useful system utilities (GNU Parted, PartImage, FSTools) and some basic ones (editors, Midnight Commander, network tools).

use system rescue cd for restoring windows. at least you can access your files and copy them.

no, you have to run it from a working windows setup. although it looks like you can't do this anyway, whatever you do, don't install it, or any other recovery software, on the damaged drive.

linux rescue cd can recover files from an unreadable windows partition, so you can wipe and re-install windows again, and still have your files.

that that hard drive out of that laptop.
put it into a desktop computer as a secondary HDD.
pull all files from it while it is connected to a second computer.

just found a copy that you can boot into. direct from runtime and it's free!
runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

tried, i get some bullshit NTFS error

Doesnt boot into good ol windows so theres no need to worry about that

Ok guys this is the error im getting.
same fucking error as ubuntu

is hard drive toast?

>is hard drive toast?
yes

Hard drive might not be toast.

Sometimes NTFS takes a serious shit and can't be fixed by anything freely available (as far as I could find). I ran into a problem like this that a client had a few months ago and caved in to buy an EaseUs software key. Try their trial and see if it can read the drive.

Try running this before anything else:
sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda2

I tried ntfsfix already :/

People are saying that chkdsk /f will actually help but is it worth downloading and burning vista to a fucking cd like its 1940s just to run it?

do you have the windows install disk? if so, boot it and run the repair tool.