What do you hate about running Linux full time?

What do you hate about running Linux full time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=djlot1_Eots
reaper.fm/download.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Driver optimisation? Only thing holding the platform back from absolute superiority at this point, granted that's been the issue for like 10+ years now.

no sound from my sound blaster zx.

This sounds like a good thread and all, but what is happening in this picture?

Can't do this anymore

Vsync issues. But i have to admit that i became paranoid and can see that vsync is shitty even on windows.
Also switching cards on optimus laptops. Other than that nothing really.

having to boot into windows to play games.

You mean gpu drivers? NVIDIA is fine, some gayms are just badly ported.

vm gpu passthrough

youtube.com/watch?v=djlot1_Eots

grdhh

Meh, guess I'm stuck in 2010. I mean I wouldn't mind AMD getting their shit together though, being forced to use GPUs from a company that openly hates freedom isn't ideal either.

No Pajeet Studio 2015.

>updates don't take an hour or more
>you don't have to reboot
>something didn't happened

It's from a humor thread and the explanation if I remember correctly was that he put it there to fill the slot because he did not have any blanks around

I can barely install stuff on linux
I dont think i can pull that off

Keyboard LEDs don't work
Other random issues

I was dual booting but realized it was stupid and deleted Ubuntu.

BUT whanever I get a Laptop I will be moving to Linux.

Blackboard collaborate doesn't work.

pretty much booting up windows for gaming
>ARCH IS LIFE

Well ideally if you want open source drivers you should use intel gpu. And if you need performance close to windows you should use nvidia, since both amd and nvidia cuck people who want freedom, and at this point it does not matter that amd does it "less", if you need performance.
Still i would buy amd if they, as you put it, got their shit together.

Feeling the urge to tell everyone that I do

The fact I get an erection every time I boot her up.

Honestly, games. I started on windows, so I just bought whatever I wanted. Now that I care about linux and want to use it, only about half my library is compatible. If I could get that to like 75% or so, I'll likely switch full time. W10 pisses me off, and I think that I'm really hampering myself by having windows on my desktop and college laptop. Only using it on my browsing laptop isn't enough.

from my experience every DE becomes unusable after a serious update (for example updating ubuntu from 16.04 install to 16.04.1). But yes you only need to log out not reboot, not that its much of a difference though, about few seconds.

Visual tearing without compton / my browser lagging when using compton
Nothing else, really.

Wait, I've to boot into windows for overwatch. But that's really about it.

Lack of WinSCP. The only program I really miss. The only alternative that comes close is FileZilla which is a buggy piece of shit.

>Ubuntu
>DE
Found your problems

Most of stupid random problems go away once you actually buy hardware compatible with Linux.
The hardware support is not bad considering how "helpful" the hardware developers are really.

Pretty much nothing.
Dude use sshfs and whatever file browser.
FileZilla sucks, nobody uses that shit.

>Dude use sshfs and whatever file browser.

lol no sshfs is garbage and freezes any file browse/text editor I ever tried if you're on a shitty unstable connection

>le using noobuntu
>le using DE
>le install gentoo
great post my friend

If you lose the connection just umount -f -l /blah and kill whatever was accessing the mount.

Our sound stack still sucks. Pulse made things better for some, worse for others, but it's still one more layer of workarounds trying to keep a fundamentally broken system together.
Gnome/Gtk devs will break the whole ecosystem of applications that rely on their libraries from time to time just for keks.
It lacks comfy debugging tools of the calibre of ollydbg and cheat engine. gdb is really powerful but I'm not always willing to handle it on the console and all graphical front-ends were built in the early 90s and never touched again, it seems.

That's pretty much it I think.

yeah exactly I don't want to kill sshfs everytime
if I was fine with stupid issues and wasting time on them I wouldn't complain about FileZilla in the first place

The shitty state of Optimus support.
Bumblebee is makeshift and the other solutions are worse.

I've tried pretty much every distro and Ubuntu is complete shit

Well, sshfs does have a reconnect option, you really wouldn't have to kill it if you still wanted to use sftp.

DPI scaling is horrible/inconsistent

actually I'm retarded
I just installed wine and downloaded WinSCP and it runs perfectly fine
really makes me think why I've not tried that before

funny thing i tried pretty much every distro and Ubuntu is the only one that is not shit or pain in the ass to use. I like Debian too though, but i need newer kernel and some packages and sid is too much of a hassle, hence Ubuntu with PPAs is more suited for me. But don't worry i understand that you need to keep cool in front of your fellow anons.

Thats why you should buy laptops that have the option to turn it off.
Nvidia is supposedly working on implementing proper switching but it has been mentioned once by phoronix and i've not heard anything about it since.

Everything, even linus hates linux on the desktop.
Monica.

Linus is forced by his autism to use gnome on fedora, no wonder he hates it.

No ez mode music recording software. Ardour is nice but it comes with ZERO effects, do these guys seriously expect me to donate money to them?

Reaper on Windows came with basic things like compression and reverb, why can't any Linux program do this?

I've already downloaded a bunch of plugins but am too lazy to figure out how to install them.

don't even get me started on JACK, honestly about to give up and just record on my windows machine

Trawling +10 year old forum posts and unanswered questions for a single issue - it just blossoms from there. Also the neverending hunt for X troubleshooting solutions. The black screens. Lack of native photoshop, vegas. Muh gaymen. Fuck Wine, fuck a VM. Lack of good driver support from AMD. It's a disaster. Wayland isn't any better than X either last I checked. The fact that Windows a shit but it works out of the box with the newest hardware - to be fair though, that's the hardware developers' fault. The fact that if both consumer and commercial ran completely on Linux I probably wouldn't have so many damn issues.

It's not hard as you think it is. Qemu is really easy to use and there are graphical frontends if you want a GUI.

T. Just started to use qemu

In fact I'm going to sperg about this.

I wasted hours trying to get something, ANYTHING that could do ftp/scp/webdav. Filezilla is useless, there's some java-based shit which I'm not touching and all those terminal based options don't fucking work (cadaver etc), not to mention file management via a terminal is beyond retarded in the first place.

>REAPER supports all Windows version from Windows XP to Windows 10.
>The Windows version also works well with WINE.

reaper.fm/download.php

I mean user i know you want free, Linux native software, thats great, but i believe you need to search for paid software too if you really need professional software.

The fact that now very time I boot into windows (to gayme) I first have to wait 2 hours until windows is done with its shitty update process. All the gaymes for linux are console gaymes shittily ported to windows, and then brought to linux with a shitty wrapper. Especially feral ports, what a bunch of incompetents.

It's not worth it. Just have a dedicated, disconnected win7 machine for audio production.

half of those problems are:
>lack of support from third parties
and people in such occasion always shit on the unsupported OS instead of companies not choosing to support it.

When the new display stack is in place (and they'll get there, Wayland is already default on Fedora iirc), they will have to do it in some way. But it's takibg a long time.

if I want to do something on windows the options are to either half ass something, or buy a program that hasn't been updated and is likely broken and will likely not receive support; you essentially can't do what you want a lot of the time so half assing it saves comparing 3 different programs which are the polar opposite of "keep it simple, stupid"

linux on the other hand fully embraces the half assed approach because it assumes you know what you're doing, but rather than half assing something you really should be, at a minimum, reading the man pages and as much documentation as you can on google

it essentially boils down to linux not enabling my laziness because if I half ass something it's going to end up being more work than if I had just done it properly in the first place; linux is making me better at what I want to do but it's a higher time investment as a result

>but what is happening in this picture?

someone plugged a pci card into where they plug into on the chassis but obviously is not plugged into the motherboard

as far as I'm aware every driver has built in vsync you can enable through xorg confs, don't trust your wm to do a good job because they're all shit

if you're using proprietary amd or nvidia drivers you can achieve the same thing through their respective control panels as well as turn it off and on dynamically which is a lot nicer if you happen to want to turn it off to avoid additional input latency in games

rx 460 is the best amd card to buy now because it's the most supported in their new open source driver that's built into the kernel, not even the fury cards have the same features in the open source driver yet (but if you're willing to use the closed source proprietary driver you'll get them)

but yeah amd on linux is a nightmare

>What do you hate about running Linux full time?

Nothing. Done that since early Mandrake releases. First distro was Corel Linux, but hardware issues were too much hassle back them. Have some Windows VMs and Winboxes for specific apps, but I don't use those much.

I don't gayme but if I did I'd run a Linux VM on a Windows host. It makes no sense to me to use only one OS per computer when it's free to use two or many.

All I do is program and shitpost, and I don't play any games except DCSS via ssh. I have no issues with running linux full time

Nothing actually, the workflow I get from linux is superior to windows, I could run os x too, but I prefer linux

No it isn't, and no you haven't. You just parrot what you've heard. Ubuntu, though arguably bloated, is one of if not the best out of the box experiences plus it has one of the biggest software repo's. This 'n00buntu sux' meme should really end. Only people who think installing arch is an accomplishment say dumb shit like that.

>Screen tearing
Using non-free nvidia drivers with compton instead of XFCE, still not fixed though. Kinda given up hope, unless someone recommends a distro which fixes this out of the box

>bunch of random errors every 10th boot
scares me but it never actually crashed, don't know if it's systemd or my aging laptop

>no games
sometimes I wish I could play some shit, steam is trying its best, play on linux is kinda ok I guess, meh

I may look into that then, as that is the only thing that is stopping me from switching all my machines to it.

It's a lot of setting up, you still have to boot up windows, you just do it inside linux. Also, to be comfy you need 2 separate gpu's. Otherwise you can only use your shitty Intel HD or whatever amd's equivalent is in linux, and your proper gpu in the VM. If you have the hardware it's nice, otherwise dual booting is vastly superior.

no games

that's it and that's all that's been keeping me from dd nuking the windows partition for years now

please, Gaben-san, pump more money into steamOS

>Buy hardware compatible with Linux
My Optiplex had no problems at all, it wasn't related to that. Linux isn't just a nice and good experiance, you need to jump through so many hoops.

I used to feel the same way as you, but in the same way you get used to Windows B.S. you will get used to GNU/Linux B.S. too, ultimately learning to deal with it or outright fix most of the issues you have. Switching to a new full time O.S. is never easy.

I sure hope so, and that it will come without serious drawbacks.
I noticed that on nvidia drivers there are problems with vsync because the compositor is forcing vsync on the desktop and then the application itself forces vsync because its set globally in the driver.
Eg if you disable vsync in the compositor all 3d/opengl applications that have vsync work perfectly without "lags" when moving windows or somethnig, while if you have vsync in both the compositor and the opengl app they lag, as if there are frames dropped because they are not in sync or something.
Only recent gnome and kde is not "lagging" when i try to move windows over a working glxgears for example. I dont know much about how any of this works but its just an observation.

Pretty much nothing. I rarely touch my configuration and scripts anymore. Life is good.
Haven't had a Windows computer for more than a decade.

Bonus: I can't fix normies PCs because I have no idea how Windows or macOS works. I just shake my head.

lftp, sshfs, rsync are vastly superior depending on your use case

Game performance. I play most games in GNU/Linux, but I run some in my GPU passthrough VM with windows 7. Because I only have a quad core CPU with no hyperthreading, each system gets two cores when the VM is running. This is great for most games, but some newer games barely run on two cores. This will all be fixed when I get a CPU with more cores. I am going to wait for zen to see if AMD has anything interesting.

>What do you hate about running Linux full time?
That it freezes randomly.

oh yeah, if you're forcing it through xorg or through the driver control panel I'd recommend turning it off in the compositor (which kde supports, unsure about gnome) since there's no need for it at that point

my issue when I still had nvidia was vsync only worked on one monitor because I have different monitors with different resolutions and one monitor happened to force itself to 59.95hz not 60.00hz because it sends the wrong edid, amd drivers handled it fine though (and I've since learned I can force 60.00hz)

No paint.exe

Gimp is a steaming pile of shit.

ardour is supposed to be the best software for recording on Linux. it comes barebones, it's basically audacity until you add a bunch of plugins. i'm not a pro, i just want to be able to use my linux computer to record and it's a huge pain in the ass. if the best recording software the linux universe has to offer doesn't even come with basic effects, i think that's a legitimate gripe

yeah my desktop still has win7 and I use reaper. only vst i ever downloaded was pirated Amplitube (which is amazing btw), everything else I'd ever need and more came with reaper.

???
you can enable all 4 cores for the VM, just limit the execution to 90% or something if you dont want the guest os to freeze the host os.

it stops working after a 39 hour a week uptime, so it doesn't have to do overtime

i think your computer is a welfare queen, i used to run a domino's pizza in the hood and 75 percent of the staff couldn't work more than 30 hours or they'd lose their gibmedats

Install Pinta niglet, it's like Photshop, Fireworks and paint had a retarded baby together, very functional and easy to use mind.

I have done that, but some games still will not run. The example I can think of right now is Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Even with the settings all the way down it would spike to 100% CPU usage and crash. I have not tried running it outside of the VM, as I have not run Windows natively in over a year, but my CPU should be able to handle it. I think that once I have more cores it should be fine though.

i'm not that guy, but I installed Pinta and Kolourpaint on linux and both suck compared to mspaint for quick and easy shitpost pictures

>spent 10x the time setting things up
>each system/driver/program update is a russian roulette, risking a black screen after restarting
>my hd 7790 runs like shit while my geforce 210 runs like champ

well if i turn off the vsync in compositor i dont have vsync at all (on xfce/unity/mate, i use compiz - also i dont think you can turn off vsync on unity).
Gnome and KDE works fine. i would rather have an option to not force it globally, but make the driver use applications settings.
But it seems that i can only globally force it on or off at this point.
Also its not like i care that much at this point, if im not moving/switching windows it works ok , so basically the problem is existent if i try to watch a movie in a window and do other shit in the meantime.

It just werks

X.org

to be honest i think that running a vm for gaming just so you dont have to dual boot it not really a sane thing to do.
I mean unless you wait for something in the background to end and you decide that "hell i wanna play a game thats not on linux" i would prefer a dualboot any day.
The GPU passtrough is however a cool technology , i would use it for terminals or manageable dual-boots (like your host system is just for running the VM, and you can have OS'es in VMs and stuff) or testing things instead.
Most people just treat it as if it's better because they don't have windows installed bare-metal, which makes no difference if you are still using it.

literally nothing
challenge me, i probably have a solution for whatever you come up with

Ubuntu is ok, its an all rounder distro - you need stable base packages, it does that, you need newer packages , you have PPAs , you need support and patches, they are there.

But for some applications some other distros are better, and it has some quirks and forgotten packages.
I would prefer Debian Stable over Ubuntu if it had PPAs, everything in Debian makes more sense to me but backports are just a stupid idea to me, also PPAs are easily downgrade-able while with backports you have to deal with pinning and dependencies.

I want to say that Ubuntu is kind of the best thing to the most people, psycho-pass style, it wont work for some people.
>inb4 anime references on technology board

Games

I am going to run all proprietary software in a VM eventually. My main install will be only free software, so that I only have proprietary code running when I need to. I like to keep it contained where it can't hurt anyone.

I am going to set up Proxmox as my main operating system, and I will have my Windows 7 VM under it, along with a GNU/Linux VM with all of my nonfree software that supports GNU/Linux.

i like to play pc games couple of times per year

I don't have time to play games a lot, but 95% of the games I play run on Linux, for legacy shit I have a windows computer with a synergy client
used to have a pci-passthrough VM, too

My incessant distro-hopping. It's nearly reaching mental illness levels now.

You will find one that works for you one day, and when you do... in that moment you will be euphoric.

Best drivers for Intel only available on linux.

True, makes me wish I could get away with using an iGPU. Give it a few more CPU revisions and I'll finally be comfortable with the level of performance on offer.

I like to remind everyone that if gaming is your primary focus on using a computer you should just stay on windows, or dual boot.
No one will judge you for it, its a normal thing to do, no one really cares.
You wont help the linux community by "trying" to use linux, you wont do windows or microsoft any harm by trying to switch to linux in order to just game, it wont change anything and you will just stress yourself and make everyone including you have a bad time.
And if you like linux and want to use it as your OS even just because you like it, its your decision and man up to it.

I have to shovel my desktop.

You are still using (or being used as stallman would say) by proprietary software if you run it in a VM.
From ideological point of view this makes literally no sense,
while from the practical point of view this makes no sense either since nothing installed on a windows dual boot will have access to your gnu/linux partition because no ext4 support, so it still is "contained".
Just think about it.

Funny because gsync works on linux now with nvidia drivers.

Inside of a VM I can restrict the hardware it has access to, and it is easier to restrict its access to my network. It also makes it easier to manage things if they are separated, I can reboot different virtual machines without rebooting the whole system. With hardware passthrough as advanced as it now is, I can get full performance too.

The GPU passthrough also allows me to use Windows much less. I boot it up maybe once a month, because I have everything I need in GNU/Linux. When I dual booted, it was easier to stay in windows to browse the web after playing a game, but now I can use it exclusively for gaming.

I also use the VM so that I can play games in GNU/Linux as my friend plays in the VM. It works very well for the games we play.

I'm poor and use a gtx 760 with an Iiyama x2483HSU and its the 2nd most expensive monitor that anyone i know has, i don't think ever heard of anyone of my friends friends having a >1200p or >60fps monitor, not to mention something like vsync, and i have a lot of gaming friends with desktop pcs, some of them could easily afford 4k gaming.

Absolutely nothing, just OP

No switching between integrated graphics and dedicated graphics.

When I unplug my laptop while using loonix, the battery life is around an hour. In wangblows it's easily 2 hours and half.
>inb4 bumblebee
Won't work in this machine. Incidentally I have a Lenovo where bumblebee does work.