/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

p.fuwafuwa.moe/subtzr.webm
github.com/Alexey-Yakovenko/deadbeef/issues/1674
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications
youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qftb2O--Y
github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

wish i was there with him
it's probably really easy to kill a """"""""person"""""""" in that kind of terrain

is that actually him? I thought he was fatter

Finally a pic of rms without a fucking notebook.
Rare item.

idk. didn't take a close look.
yeah. you like it? i bet you collect them and jerk off later huh?

$ ls ~/.archives/tech/rms/ | wc -l

Hey guys, I used Putty in Windows to connect to a few Cisco equipments at work, but I replaced my OS with Mint, anyone know a similar program to Putty that runs on Linux?

nice one
chuckled

I ain't even joking. Probably a dumb question but it's my first Distro :(

How about ssh?

I don't know much about programming.

kek, you got us good user, you can stop pretending now

stallman 1

stallman 2

I wasn't the one who made the programming comment.

Fuuuck I just want to telnet to a equipment

If you have more, please drop them here:

Step 1. Ctrl+Alt+T
Step 2. type telnet [SERVER ADDRESS]

p.fuwafuwa.moe/subtzr.webm

Well I'm a fucking retard.
Thanks

No problem

Here's a rare action-figure Stallman for your troubles

Why does nouveau or nvidia respect my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf ?

I'm trying to get passthrough working.

lspci -nnk shows that vfio is loaded first

And why would I need this literal piece of garbage?

Thanks man, will cherish it.

One day you'll see

You'll all see

Please help

couldn't boot my system for an hour because i misspelt root as rood in a config file
hahahaa

i was playing around with making users

Somehow i ended up loosing bash by default in the terminal. I can still get it by typing bash but im just curious what happened.

Any ideas?

Maybe you forgot to set a "login shell"?

what.cd is dead lel fuck you all

>private tracker botnet
nothing of value was lost

I'm running Arch Linux and I'm having some recent difficulty with Bumblebee with the proprietary Nvidia drivers. I have only recently noticed this problem and it has not always been like this. If I have my laptop plugged in, restart my laptop, and then use optirun or primusrun there are no issues. As soon as I unplug my system optirun and primusrun fail to work, and continue to fail even if I plug my system back in. Restarting the bumblebeed.service (or bumblebeed, not sure which is correct) does not fix the problem either (unplugged or plugged in). Any help would be appreciated.

Additional information:
Running a program from terminal with optirun yields this
>[ 691.476815] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not enable discrete graphics card

>[ 691.476847] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
If I try to use primusrun from the terminal it just fails to run.

>he fell for the arch meme

>I'm running Arch Linux
Well there's your problem right there.
Fag.

I'm having some recent difficulty with Bumblebee with the proprietary Nvidia drivers. I have only recently noticed this problem and it has not always been like this. If I have my laptop plugged in, restart my laptop, and then use optirun or primusrun there are no issues. As soon as I unplug my system optirun and primusrun fail to work, and continue to fail even if I plug my system back in. Restarting the bumblebeed.service (or bumblebeed, not sure which is correct) does not fix the problem either (unplugged or plugged in). Any help would be appreciated.

Additional information:
Running a program from terminal with optirun yields this
>[ 691.476815] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not enable discrete graphics card

>[ 691.476847] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
If I try to use primusrun from the terminal it just fails to run.

Please no meme answers.

the shell / terminal is the 'putty'

from the shell just do this:

ssh 10.111.111.111

or whatever IP you want to connect to. Putty is an ssh client for windows. on Linux, you can just run the ssh utility from the shell

oh sorry, you wanted to telnet into some machine. ignore my comment: I assumed you wanted to ssh into it.

kys

My pc doesn't wake up after suspending to RAM no matter what I do. I tried upgrading the kernel from 4.4 to 4.6 but it didn't work. I'm using kubuntu 16.04 btw.

You know what annoys me about Linux is copy and pasting. Sometimes I can just highlight and middle click, other times I can press ctrl+c then ctrl+v, othertimes it has to be ctrl+shift+c but ctrl-v still works, or vice versa.

Christ it's annoying.

That has nothing to do with Linux, the kernel.
You're most likely confused about some of X's clipboards. Spend 1 minute reading summaries instead of complaining on here and it will make sense.

get a clipboard manager

This is the problem I'm having and the developer wasn't helpful to say the least:
How can I fix this?

>That has nothing to do with Linux, the kernel.
I was referring to my entire ecosystem (Linux + Linux Mint OS + KDE) as "Linux".

Stop using terms you don't understand.

don't use shitty programms
seems easy enough

No.

So, which audio player looks modern and works on KDE?

kek

Wow your so cleva

X has 3 clipboards (following the freedesktop standards): PRIMARY, SECONDARY and CLIPBOARD

SELECTING + INSERT/MIDDLECLICK is PRIMARY
nobody is using SECONDARY
CTRL+C /CTRL+V is CLIPBOARD

tl;dr you have TWO clipboards

also:

that is not about deadbeef at all.
you need a compatible theme. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications

youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qftb2O--Y

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

No, I just don't care enough about the GNU/ Linux distinction to bother.
What's the secondary one? CTRL+SHIFT+C/ CTRL+SHIFT+V?

there is no gnu
it's just a myth invented by retards like 57556084 to justify they're autistic compulsion to police other peoples language

No I get this, I just truly don't care enough to change my established habits. It's like how I use "who" instead of "whom", despite completely understanding the distinction between them. I'm very okay with being wrong, for the sake of convenience.

CTRL+C/CTRL+V is CLIPBOARD

Listen:

Stuff you select goes into PRIMARY, keeping stuff that you have in CLIPBOARD. So when you select text, you can paste it with middle click and then press CTRL+V to paste whatever you copied into your clipboard the last time you hit CTRL+C.

I home someone permabans your annoying ass.

>they're
cheeky

the new GNOME update has me ENRAGED. GNOME was a great DE, in my opinion, because it was completely keyboard-controlled. Mainly, if I wanted to open a new program, I just had to press super and start typing. Now when you press super, the cursor stays in the window you were in previously, so you have to move your mouse to the search bar and click on it.

Whose fucking idea was this? Who complained about the feature that drives the fucking DE? FUCK THIS SHIT

Okay, thanks. I see know that CTRL+SHIFT+C/V is like an in-terminal alias for what CTRL+C/V does outside the terminal.

Ok Sup Forums ,im buying a new pc in the next days and i want to copy all of my actual xubuntu/openbox setup, All of it configurations,programs and all that, does anyone know how can i do it?

Can't you popup an xfceish appfinder with superl?

Yep.

Thank you, but I don't quite get what I should do now. I've provided a few screenshots in that github bugtracker:
Is there anything wrong with those settings screenshots I've posted? What should I change?

Hi /flt/, I've been using Mint for the last 12 months and I like it, but I'm ready to move on to a proper OS now. If I were reinstalling on Windows, I would back up my file system so that I can restore from it in case I fuck up/want to go back to what I had. What's the equivalent process on Linux? I could just manually copy my file system onto my hard drive (which I might do anyway since it's not that big), but is there a more sensible way of backing up Linux OS snapshots to restore from later? Thanks.

Try another icontheme.

I've also been using Mint for a year, but I feel like changing just for the sake of it.
What do you mean by:
>I'm ready to move on to a proper OS now
What do you consider a "proper OS"?

>Linux OS
it's just a kernel, the OS is GNU/Linux
>backup
look into rsync and dd

how do I get my laptop to have more than like 1.5 hr battery life under linux? On chromeOS it's like 8 hrs

Mint is often criticised for being a "gateway" or newbie distro. I'd like something a little less kiddie, that's all.
I know, I am just being lazy with my terminology. Thanks for the refs, I'll look into them.

>On chromeOS it's like 8 hrs
who cares?

cuz more hours is better?

Then use ChromeOS?

>Mint is often criticised for being a "gateway" or newbie distro.
Hmm, I'm don't really understand that criticism. Is the argument that, in being easy to use for somebody coming from Windows/ Mac OS, Linux Mint has less value than a more difficult OS? How does that work? To me it seems to be a question of image over practicality, but I'm exactly that newbie that likes Mint.

Maybe it would help me understand better if you explained what you consider to be a "less kiddie" OS?

I don't want to. Is it not possible to use linux and have good battery life?

The problem with Linux Mint is not "being kiddie" it's that is horrible hacked together and insecure.

Thoughts on Fedora?

NSA

install powertop

how can I set bluetooth to be disabled at startup ? ubuntu 16
also whats a good way of getting the same mouse sens from windows on linux?

Yet another useless distro, which doesn't fill any gap.

Clementine

>mouse
man xset

>tripfag
kys

>>>/reddit/

Suck my dick.

Y-you too.

>Linux Mint is horrible hacked together and insecure.
Ah, that seems like a more valid criticism. Could you expand?

Trifags not welcome. Please leave. Thanks.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Make me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alternatively, you could tell the retard running this site to disable tripcodes for normal users.

No, he can't because it's bullshit he's parroting after some other shit head posted it

What about duofags or quadfags

>insecure
Elaborate. Would tails be a better option?

▲▲

He should come back when he can newforce

It's mixing ubuntu and debian packages, known as "frankendebian", highjacks package names and modifies packages in a way that makes them unable to get upgrades without breakage, so they just blacklist important packages like linux, systemd, xorg, etc from updates completely. So Mint basically provides a distro without security updates; if you can enable them you break your system.

lies, google "best linux distro", 90% of results recommend mint and ubuntu

is there anyway of setting the touchpad to be automatically disabled if i plugin a USB mouse? i accidentally press my mousepad while typing and it pisses me off
i would have preffered having a GUI but thanks

>lies
Here the blacklist github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

Pls halp.

xD!!!!!11!! the post