/mkg/ - mechanical keyboard general

someone post the op I don't have it edition

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Cherry-Credit-Card-Reader-PS-2-Point-of-Sale-POS-Keyboard-MF298-Grade-A-/371771670950?hash=item568f5181a6:g:s5AAAOSwHsRYDju5
pccasegear.com/
fudachi.com.au/
shop.caps-unlocked.com/product/varmilo-va108m-mechanical-keyboard
cherryamericas.com/product-category/pos/
deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers
keyboardco.com/category.asp?sr=&path=mechanical keyboards&man=KB Paradise&ss=lh&rtv=100
deskthority.net/photos-f62/mod-add-a-trackpoint-to-a-tipro-mid-series-t4214.html
ebay.com/itm/222300890290
keyclack.com/product-category/group-buys/xda-milestone/
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
shop110310565.world.taobao.com/?spm=a312a.7728556.2015080705.1.5C4gez
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1605
youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3lgsKysjg
ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-G80-3000-Keyboard-with-MX-Blue-Quiet-Keyswitches-UK-Layout-/302141555666?hash=item46590a43d2:g:k9kAAOSw4GVYLjL8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

It's only been two days since I've ordered this bad boy and i'm getting rather impatient.
This will be my first mechanical keyboard I have ever owned.
So I guess an opening topic should be what was your first mechanical keyboard?

What is the cheapest mechanical keyboard?

had catalog open all day

not sure why i didnt just make the op lol

you can build a homemade planck for about 40 bucks

soon

F122 or M122? They both look so similar and I can never tell the difference despite owning an F122 myself. Very nice either way, you'll love it!

Okay, so I'm looking for something I thought would be simple to find: a fullsize black keyboard with Gateron Browns and blue LEDs (or RGB of course). But I can't for the life of me find such a board. Glorious PC Gaming Race's modular one comes so very, very, very close, but it has red LEDs.

Does anyone know of a board that matches my description? Would it be possible to replace the LEDs with blue ones, and how difficult would it be? All the LED replacement tutorials I've seen are for switch-mounted ones, but the GGMR uses surface mounted ones with clear switches. Is there a blue LED or RGB modular board available in fullsize somewhere?

First time contributing, hi

Faggot, did you expect me to read all that??

My first mechanical keyboard was an IBM model M, but I wanted something with lighter switches that was still clicky so I got a Ducky one with blues.

A cash register like pic related if you don't mind the credit card reader
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Cherry-Credit-Card-Reader-PS-2-Point-of-Sale-POS-Keyboard-MF298-Grade-A-/371771670950?hash=item568f5181a6:g:s5AAAOSwHsRYDju5

Not that user but
>$20 keyboard
>$50 shipping
Fuck I hate living in Straya sometimes

sorry dude the shipping is 9.56 for me. I wounder how they got that number...

Anyway if you want to buy a mechanical keyboard and not pay an ass load in shipping why not buy from

pccasegear.com/
fudachi.com.au/

Gigabyte Aivia Osmium
then a Choc Mini
then HHKB

I've already got one, I'm just interested in those sort of legit Cherry keyboards made for commercial purposes rather than consumer ones. Can't seem to find them for sale that easily here though.

Yeah

shop.caps-unlocked.com/product/varmilo-va108m-mechanical-keyboard

Why not just go to cherry's own website:
cherryamericas.com/product-category/pos/

If you want even more info then check out the wiki:
deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers

>Location
UK
>Budget
Flexible
>Size
60%
>Layout
Standart
>Switches
Preferably brown/black

So im looking for a 60% keyboard that i can easily purchase in UK
Bonus points for simplistic non gaymur design.
Even though my budget is flexiblt, id prefer not to buy anthing above Pok3r price.

threadly reminder that the best keyboard ever made uses rubber dome.

not with that ugly layout.

Is there a way to get/make a TKL with a trackpoint? I fucking love my RT3200, but its rubberdome.

So I recently ordered a Unicomp Model M and I have to say that I am blown away by how nice this thing is to type on. I think I finally managed to find a keyboard that I pretty much never bottom out the keys on, which was still regularly an issue for my with the Cherry MX Clears.

As far as I can tell, the two main differences are that the springs seems to provide damping on the downstroke that almost feels like the keys are cushioned at the bottom of their travel, and the Model M has a much bigger gap between the amount of force required to actuate the keys and the amount of force required to bottom them out.

a v60

keyboardco.com/category.asp?sr=&path=mechanical keyboards&man=KB Paradise&ss=lh&rtv=100

>choosing aesthetic over work efficiency
>disliking 80s/90s aesthetic within this context
s m d h twice

Looking for a 60% mechanical keyboard with a standard US/QWERTY layout that's Bluetooth wireless. Any suggestions?

if you want to make one then you can. There are already threads about that very same topic on geek hack and deskthority
geekhack org /index.php?topic=41149.0

deskthority.net/photos-f62/mod-add-a-trackpoint-to-a-tipro-mid-series-t4214.html

I'm using an 80s rubber dome keyboard now and its much sturdier then any modern keyboard I've used before. Its got all the keys I need and I can reprogram it so I don't really care

on-board macro support?

whats that?
Since the keyboard is so old I found the firmware and its pretty simple to modify it.

Also this keyboard is very heavy and well built for a rubberdome. It looks like a slimmed down version of the IBM model M that weighs about 1.8 kilos and has dye-sub PBT keycaps, so even though it was made in 1989 it still looks brand new

How is v60 compared to the Pok3r ?
Also how are the switches in v60 like?

I mean the gateron browns**

gateron browns are smoother and more tactile, which is why some people prefer them over cherry switches.

scratch that I don't think firmware is the correct term, but basically someone used an oscilloscope to figure out what the interface was and the wrote a program that can translate it. So I just copy pasted what he did. I can then edit it to do whatever I want.

ability to program multi-key macros at will using just the keyboard. increases work efficiency in some situations. not sure why the concept was largely abandoned.

meme diagonal keys are also a significant bonus, and I could never go back to four-way. another concept where I'm not sure why it was abandoned, especially given that they just leave an empty space on the keyboard where five keys could fit. the second space key works great with remapping.

I definitely think there are better looking vintage models, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a keyboard that's as wide-purpose functional as the anykey.

>meme diagonal keys are also a significant bonus
just curious do you use them daily? My numpad has those but the last time I used them was just now when I remembered that they exist. Its not something I use at all.

I see, so the 3 options i have so far are
pok3r for 120£
v60 with gateron for 85£
v60 cherries for 110£
So, are there any advantages of buying v60 over pok3r other than the small price drop ? (keeping in mind poker gives aluminium case, better keycaps more programability) ??

I bought pic related off eBay for about $30 a year ago and am pretty happy with it. Am I missing it out by not having a board with real MX switches/a normal layout? Is it worth a ~$60 net loss to sell/upgrade?

actually yes, but only because I play dorf fort. I have the second space key remapped to enter, "end" remapped to "-", "page down" remapped to "+", insert/home/pageup remapped to d/z/v. I literally bought this keyboard to increase dwarf fortress playing efficiency, but it flowed over into work and I regularly remap keys or program macros temporarily just for convenience when I have to repeat a lot of the same typing, and I wonder why this isn't a popular function with programming-related work.

the aluminum case on the pok3r is spray painted so it ships off very easily.
As far as programmablity is concerned then PBT keycaps are really nice and personally I can never go back to ABS after using them.

Also you never considered alps switches. The quiet clicks are even quieter then rubberdome and more tactile then gateron or cherry. If you like the loudness then you can get them unsilenced.

I want to get this just for the cringey keycaps.
ebay.com/itm/222300890290

you can buy the keycaps separately you know

I'm looking for high quality (blank) keycaps for mx cherry switches. I just got a set of "DSA PBT/ABS" blanks crom pimpmykeyboard. The texture and shape are nice, but on some of the modifiers are a bit imperfect.

Are there better keycaps out there? I have a 60% keyboard.

gateron blanks?

I don't know anything about them, I thought gateron was a type of switch different from mx cherry and keycaps were not compatible

I'ts an M122, I'm pretty hype about it, can't wait.
how's the feel of that M2?

Are gateron keycaps compatible with MX Cherry switches? Are gateron caps high quality?

GMK is pretty high quality, but if you want Dye-sub PBT then this GB in on right now:
keyclack.com/product-category/group-buys/xda-milestone/

other wise anything from NPKC, Vortex, Ducky, and Gateron are fine.

>I don't know anything about them, I thought gateron was a type of switch different from mx cherry and keycaps were not compatible

lol no Gaterons make switches and keycaps that work with all cherry mounts

Gateron are one of the few companies that make cherry profile keycaps that isn't GMK themselves

Oh ok. I'm looking for nice blank keycaps, I'll try gateron. thanks

yeah gateron is a type of switch, but they also make keycaps i guess? gateron switches are actually compatible with mx keycaps just fyi

you can get gateron caps from mechanicalkeyboards.com

Cherry is overrated. Gateron and Zealios are where it's at.
If you want better build quality you could get a Cherry board
but Gateron has some cheap boards you should try.
Their switches aren't gritty like Cherry.
Gateron switches are MX compatible, I know because I have a switch tester with them.
>keeping stock keycaps
I don't know about the stock quality but you could buy some aftermarket ones.

I got you

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com

Now why the fuck would this be so cheap?

thanks

gateron are pretty nice

how do i get my hands on a RS84?

yo, would this have vintage blacks in it?

Ask your self this user: How many people need cash registers and How many "gamers" are there?
Its simple supply and demand, there are more shops and stores that are willing to spend money buying several of these, vs some niche market of gamers.

And these are real cherry mx keyboards. If you don't mind the weird layouts they are excellent mechanical keyboards. Pic related can be found for under 40 bucks at market surplus store

The older ones definitely have them

how old are we talking?

Shame the shipping from usa costs five times the keyboard itself

depends there are three generations of cherry switches, but basically anything before 1991 is definitely vintage, and anything before 1996 is also vintage as well.

thanks

You can get a plate and PCB from china
shop110310565.world.taobao.com/?spm=a312a.7728556.2015080705.1.5C4gez

Thanks! Thats cool. I would need a case though... :/

Noob here. What's so special about cherry profile? Looks like shorter OEMs to me

That is it. Back then when Cherry made mechanical keyboards they used their own doubleshot process to make extremely high quality keycaps that even gives PBT a run for its money. Of course that was to expensive to make such a high quality product so it was then sold off to GMK who now continues to make them. Gateron and NPKC came along and started to manufacture clones that aren't anywhere near as good.
They are more for people who want to try out what a slimmer profile feels like, without spending over a hundred dollars for keycaps

r8 my choice

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1605

Best keyboard for cute girls (male)?

its ok

pok3r with Miami keycaps

Something small and petite, like a Filco Minila.

>pad printed

this is a good choice but its really generic.
you could look for other keycaps that are cute but a 60% is a must!

?

Happy Hacking Memeboard

nice reddit username

its not me

then what is you

youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3lgsKysjg

What other names and shit can I search for I am in the UK but poorfag and my keyboard is breaking

>philosophy

That's pretty cute, thanks

you can get g80-3000 for cheap.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-G80-3000-Keyboard-with-MX-Blue-Quiet-Keyswitches-UK-Layout-/302141555666?hash=item46590a43d2:g:k9kAAOSw4GVYLjL8

Thanks that doesn't even look bad. My current one is so old rubber domes don't push the keys up sometimes

Honestly these are pretty great.
Vintage cherry's with classic double shot keycaps for 40 bucks. Some people pay over a hundred for the keycaps alone

What switches do you recommend I seen the difference but I have no idea what I should really even get? I just do programming and gaming ruber dome feels okay for me as is

Is it ok to use the aluminum plate of ergodox as the bottom plate? Should I be worried about short circuits happening?

there really is no optimal switch and the noise their actuation mechanisms makes doesn't really matter since bottoming out the switches is louder.

Now blues are tactile and clicky, while blacks/reds are linear, and browns feel like reds with sand in them.

So would it be safe to say that red/black are what I want?

rubberdomes are tactile, but since yours are so old they must have lost that. So yes if you want a better typing experience without the much then get reds/blacks. Browns are barely tactile.

Great thanks man, I honestly don't know what I really want since I never used one but I am pissed off that every rubberdome has the same stuck key shit when I am gaming. Or having to take it apart cause the sensor is fucking up

O-rings help a lot imo.

Well I've got to give it to you faggots.

I've had my mechanical meme keyboard for about a month now and I love it.

It has made me hate the keyboard in my office at work, but I don't want to carry my KB back and forth every day like an autistic, but I don't really want to buy a second keyboard either.

Up next, a wrist rest of some kind and maybe an aluminum case.

if you wanted aluminum then you should have gotten a varmilo

Im thinking about buying one mechanical keyboard, and since its my first and would not understand the difference between a 200 € and a 35 € im thinking of buying this cheap chink AULA keyboard.

What do you guys think is it better to order from the chinks or build a custom one? Also do you have to map it or does windows doanload drivers automatically for custom ones?

I thought about it but they didn't have one with the switches I wanted.

I went for the Matias Quiet Clicks.

>I'm thinking about buying a nice thing
>But I don't want to spent any money on it
>So I'll buy this shitty thing instead

If you're going to have to steal the spare change off your mums nightstand to buy a keyboard just go get a $10 rubber dome at Wal-Mart or something shit for brains. Luxuries are for people that can afford them.