/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Waiting for my Case Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add an SSD to the "Great" tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/kM9sm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/brs66X
pcpartpicker.com/list/cdTvbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/jj9x2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/QP4Xnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/KTLWf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/6L3fhq
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130872
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/h4XDJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/QPfsm8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is buying a used GPU from Amazon a good idea?

would you buy a used condom from amazon?

That's a terrible analogy.

oh right, you're not the type of guy who would be using condoms anytime soon I guess

Kek.

CSGO/Minecraft/Indie games
$3-4k
1080p/60hz
US
pcpartpicker.com/list/kM9sm8

Which power supply brands have good quality control these days? I'm helping with a build and I have a Corsair myself, but on Newegg it looks like there's always someone with a bad experience for nearly every model.

Uh.... dude.

That's way overkill for Minecraft. Are you trying to recreate the whole planet in Minecraft or something?

Also what kind of Indie games? You're gonna be in the overkill tier as well for games like Shovelknight. Scale that budget to like 400-500 bucks man.

>not even quad 1080s

DOOM 1080P Nightmare
$150
US
pcpartpicker.com/list/brs66X

Doom is easy to run but come on, ultra settings (and nightmare shadows and retexturing, the only nightmare settings) is unrealistic with that, at least grab a 470 if not a 480

Kek

I've posted here before but changed a lot of stuff.

Does anything look dumb here?

Usage will be some Matlab, GIS, CAD and a bit of gayming.

The moba choice is because there's a deal at my vendor atm, not muh gaymer lights.

The m2 ssd was also on a deal, this board can boot from that right?

also the PSU is the G2 version

Reply to this post with any deals you find

Don't buy gamer shit. You need way more RAM, don't buy those stupid brand name DIMMs, just get DIMMs with chips from a reputable manufacturer.

And get an i7-6700k, at least.

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with a little extra ram, CAD programs can eat that up (although gaymen ram brands are fine if it's cheap which is usually all is)
And if you have extra money, a 6700k might help with some CAD program exporting and file conversion, but the difference won't be insane for paying at least $100 extra
Besides you could always wait for the 7700k next year if it turns out the 6600k isn't mindblowing, it won't be bad either way

>don't buy those stupid brand name DIMMs, just get DIMMs with chips from a reputable manufacturer.
Got any suggestions? Don't know shit about RAM

Had a hunch the i5 would struggle, I'll go with the i7-6700k. Unless there's a better option around the same price?

Thanks for the advice user

This is pretty gud, but I would get an I7 and save on cooling storage etc

pcpartpicker.com/list/cdTvbj
R8
>inb4 waitcucks

newegg has a 1000w gold PSU for sale for 99$. I was planning on getting an 850w platinum, but that's a full 40$ more.

Should I go for the 1000w, or wait for black friday/cyber monday and see if the 850w plat goes on sale?

Well there's the 5820k which seems to be the hot option but the board is more expensive. I think there's a sale on the 6800k, too, so might look into that. I'm assuming you're doing more than just pissing around in 2D AutoCAD and looking at Google Earth, though.

As for RAM just go with cheapest sticks you can find as long as the chips say Samsung, Hynix, Elpdia, or Micron.

Yes skylake can all boot from NVME drives
The 600p isn't anything absolutely mindblowing though, it's better than anything SATA based but not by much (except sequential reads which have huge gainz)

you will be better off with a samsung 850 evo as the boot drive and an i7-6700k.

that mobo is great

pcpartpicker.com/list/jj9x2R

Gaming/multi-window browsing machine. I'd rather not spend too much more than $1000 for the full package. I've adjusted my monitor's price for Black Friday but not those Jet things that are still eligible for the 15% discount. General advice needed.

Is the mobo/wifi card combo good or is there a ~$100 mobo that does the job better (or if either of the individual parts can be switched)?

I'm super paranoid about maybe one day using the optical drive so as much as I'd like to get something like the S340 or Core V21 I want a case with at least one 5.25". I also considered the Corsair 200R and if that case is better despite being for a bigger mobo I'll switch back to that.

PSU recommendations are welcome, I don't really know what I'm doing in that department. If I don't need one that powerful, if I should get a different brand, anything.

It will mostly be 2D CAD for blueprints of buildings and the like. Most of the work I do will be GIS however.

I'll look into the RAM thing but it seems all that is easily available is the gaming Corsair stuff (I'm not in the states).

Is higher speed or lower CAS prefered? 2x16GB 2133MHz CL13 is the same price as 2400MHz CL16 for example...

I can get the 600p for the same price as the 850 evo at the moment actually. Is there any other reason the get the evo? Reliability?

Nah, get the M2 and fill up your mothers slot
It's slightly faster than any SATA anyways

>higher speed or lower CAS?
Both, but latency tends to go up with speed. Frequency/MHz generally wins though, but old 3000mhz ram might have more latency than newer 3000mhz models

You should be able to find 3000mhz 15CAS ram for almost the same price as stock-speed 2133mhz ram

Either will be fine. If Corsair is the cheaper stuff then go for it, it's ok. Even though you're doing 2D cad I'd still recommend going for the i7-6700k, going for a more pedestrian motherboard to save cash, and of course going for more RAM. 32GB will probably suit you.

Don't buy these overclocked modules, they have no guarantees. Buy JEDEC only.

They make slim external optical drives you know
You don't even need to put a 5.25" bay in if you're just reading/writing once in a while

But it's the motherboard that overclocks ram, those are just rated to a certain frequency right?

I didn't even think of that. Sounds good, I'll just buy one if I need one.

>fill up your mothers slot
What did he mean by this?

Except they aren't rated. The chips are manufactured to meet a JEDEC standard. 3000MHz modules are not JEDEC standard. The possible instability isn't really worth it on a work machine.

Well if stable ram is your concern then you should be getting ECC ram
But for a casual normie like me, my speedy ram hasn't failed yet, it's just taking advantage of the motherboards XMP support that you paid for

>Well if stable ram is your concern then you should be getting ECC ram
Wow that's a leap, there.
>But for a casual normie like me
So you're not doing GIS and architectural drawings?

what happens if ram fails

Z170 chipsets (that can overclock ddr4 to crazy levels) is marketed by Intel specifically as a gaming motherboard chipset

pcpartpicker.com/list/QP4Xnn
Mainly meant for gaming on 1440p at 144hz on games like Dark Souls III, Star Citizen, and Arma III. How long will this last me? Any parts I should change? My budget is 2.2k USD (I live in USA)

>Not waiting for xpoint SSDRAM

That doesn't look bad for what you're aiming for, if you have a screen right now is wait until Black Friday to get a new monitor (even though there's only like 3 1440p144hz screens one might be on sale, I got a refurbished ROG swift for $500)
EVGA didn't properly cool their 1070s and 1080s this year, I'm sure a new card would be fixed with extra VRM pads but just something to consider

Don't pay for Windows (especially Windows 10 home, which works unregistered forever)
You can get a 600w Seasonic PSU for the same price

Id be more comfortable with two smaller SSDs, you don't want your only one to possibly fail
Or you can get 3 $80 500GB SSDs, put them in raid 5, get 1TB of space, doubled read and write speeds, and a one-drive failsafe

How screwed am I if I get a gtx 970 for gaming?

At 1080p it'll hold out for a while, may need to drop settings every now and then but mostly max fine

pcpartpicker.com/list/KTLWf8
How does this look?

Good
Don't forget a bomb monitor, 1080p/60Hz is wasting that computer

>pcpartpicker.com/list/KTLWf8
For 40 bucks more, you can get a 500 gig Samsung SSD.

That SSD you have is overpriced.

Some games out now need more than 8Gb ram, Forza Horizon 3 for example...
None of my other games need nearly that much ram but still, one does

Okay, the other option is to drop i7 7700k for a better graphics card. I don't overclock.

Poor as fuck Australian here. If I shove a gtx 1060 in my existing build (maybe upgrade the ram too) Will I be fine for 1080/60fps gaming for the next few years? Struggling at the moment.

Wow that is overpriced I didn't even see that
A $160 500GB SSD is also overpriced, aren't 850 Evos on sale right now for $100 for 500GB?

pcpartpicker.com/list/6L3fhq

250 Gig 850 EVOs are out at 94 bucks

The 160 is what I was referring to, and for the price, not really considering it's performance compared to other SSDs.

7700k? Like you're gonna actually wait to buy a brand new Intel CPU? Good luck with that, it's clear why you won't have any money for other parts
If you meant 6700k then it's probably a good idea to get a 6600k and better video card if you plan on going above 1080p
6700 (and K) has hyperthreading, which is good for programs that take advantage of it (not most games though)
If you don't want to overclock AND need hyperthreading get a 6700
If you don't need hyperthreading or are not sure, get a 6600
If you want to overclock (you should, in a few years it'll be free extra performance) make sure you get a "K" CPU and a Z170 motherboard

here again

Did an alternate build based on your suggestions and what I could get my hands on.

I assume this is more optimal for CAD and GIS work? Or should I stick to the original build just upgrading to the i7 and the RAM on this new build?

Thanks for the help!

Can I get opinions on this motherboard please?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130872

How important exactly is RAM speed?

At what price difference is 32gb 3200 ddr4 worth getting over 2400, for example

BSODs, chrome crashing, etc
happened to me

3000mhz is almost always the best price/MHz so that's why it's specifically meme'd
The advantages can vary from situation to situation but ram hogs like photoshop gets faster swapping and ram hog games like console ports tend to get slightly better minimum fps

I know that 60hz to 70hz+ is a very noticeable difference

But what about, for example, 75hz vs 144hz?

It gets to be less and less of a difference, g/freesync makes non-maxed framerates work fine, so I just call anything above 100fps good, it's hard to notice the difference after that desu
But you notice screen tearing immediately, so either make sure your GPU can constantly max out your monitors Hz or half its maximum Hz, or get freesync/gsync

once you play at 144 fps, 60 fps looks like shit. kinda like when you switch from 60 fps to 30 fps (consoles)

Wonderful for Intel, but Intel doesn't guarantee it.

How heavy is the GIS you are doing?

Not the same user but related question:
Should noticeable tearing be expected on a good graphics card and a 59.something hz monitor? Otherwise my frame rates are good.

Also is anyone here opinionated on that Nvidia GeForce experience program for choosing recommended game settings?

Do NOT use geforce. Download drivers only when you need them, and learn to change settings yourself.

If it's a good graphics card

Okay. I know enough of options menus to get by but I tried the GeForce's "optimized" settings for Overwatch and once in a while it did make fps worse when there's a lot going on.

GeForce experience is mad botnet
Scans all your shit
Uses background networking
Direct access and modify privilege to your files

When will 16Gb RAM not be enough for gaming?

Tomorrow at 5:30

shit, I should uninstall, then... as long as I get to keep my driver.

Decently heavy I guess. I work mostly in raster data but also vector. Do a lot of weighting, criteria stuff and calculating paths based on topography and other things. Hard to explain in English, sorry.

The build is intended for me to be able to take some work home while not being totally gimped by my PC.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/h4XDJV

This would be my first time building, can some one give me suggestions or improve my list?

Definitely stick with the 5820k, then, it'll give you crazy memory bandwidth with 4 channels. If you can, get a better cooler so you can overclock it to 4.5GHz or so.

>meme gamur mobo

cut on the mobo and get 3200mhz 14 CAS latency ram

Did I do gud?
You guys memed this into existence
The SSDs are a 600p M2 drive and a 730 SATA SSD

Why are you spending 200 dollars on an 1151 board? Or 300 dollars on a GTX1060?

Maple tax

ram is ram, would it really make that much of a difference?
as mentioned stuff costs more in Canada

Is there something else I should get instead of a 1060? 1070 is too high and I heard amd is tarsh

The only thing comparable in price to a 1060 is a 480, but even then it's comparable in performance too

You probably won't be over 60hz in every game, but things like Overwatch / other e-sports that actually benefit from it, you will be, so yeah I'd say pretty good job. The hard drives... eh. You won't see much benefit.

What hard drives

I'm thinking about reusing my 1tb hard drive what I'm using on my laptop right now

ram operates at differant speeds. Since 16gb of ram will be obsolete in quite a while (relatively speaking), it is worth paying a little premium to get the one with the best value. 3200mhz at 14 cas is the cutoff before getting serious disminishing returns.

Ok, thanks my man

>2.5" HDD
Just get a cheap SSD for either your laptop or desktop, but a 2.5" HDD is generally worse in durability and reliability than 3.5" ones
A 1TB 3.5" HDD can be found for 60 burgerbucks, and a 250GB SSD for the same price. I can't imagine that's a dealbreaker in canadollars, plus you get to continue using laptop

alright thanks for the info I'll look into it
thats a good idea, it will be more expensive in canada but I can wait a little longer and save up for more since I'll still get to use my laptop and and it will last longer

pcpartpicker.com/list/QPfsm8

Can i play dishonored 2? Should i upgrade? What is the weakest part? Gpu?
I am from slovakia

recommended spec for dishonored 2 is a i7-4770 paired with GTX 1060 6GB/AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB.

you cannot run it.

How greedy. I aint paying 1200 euro to get a nw pc fór one greedy game. I can run bf1 just fine on high settings

dishonored 2 is a badly optimised console port, thats why.

Much cheaper to just buy a console.

my house is fairly new and has sound electric wiring. is there any reason to spend a bunch of money on a "nice" surge protector? I don't have the need or the budget for battery backup, but the occasional power outage does happen.

If you're gonna spend a 'bunch of money' spend it on a UPS.