codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
eloquentjavascript.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=4bZvq3nodf4
milliondollarhomepage.com/
umbrellajs.com/
vanilla-js.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm guessing you're new at CSS?

The Study Group is up again.

We're on gitter now. Great progress! Send mail at mauser91 protonmail.com
for invite + more info

>my email wont be sold to chinese spam bots
Kek.

please, i just want the TL;DR answer to this:

can i use a normal website as the backend of a simple mobile app? users can make accounts and upload small files. the users and their files are visible to other users. there is simple server-side logic to verify the integrity of the files and for administration.

can i use a normal web host (intended for websites), with php and a mysql database to accomplish this, instead of paying extra for a cloud service?

Are you retarded? Yes.

thanks for the answer. it seems obvious but when i try to google it they just talk about google app engine and amazon aws and other cloud services (or even hosting your own server) and all kinds of stacks that won't run on a normal web host

What Linux dist is the best for webdev? Is it still Ubuntu? I've also heard of Linux Mint, but I'm an absolute noob in Linux topic so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

For this reason I'd like it to have the most newbie-friendly and windows-like interface, while not sacrificing any development capabilities.

Yes.

Kubuntu.

wat do with domain name wavs.io?

Input/Output WAVs.

war apes versus interstellar orchids

Is it safe to allow users to upload anything they want to the server as long as the files don't have execution permissions on them? even scripts or executable?

No.
You can't handle files as if they had some special meaning on your HTTP server.
So it means no .php or other interpreted files, if you handle it. You need to send them with Content-Type: application/octet-stream (so they will be downloaded by client) or with text/plain MIME (to be displayed as text). Same applies to HTML files, unless you want to really serve them and risk running any JS on the client receiving it (which means the running script gets access to all cookies for your domain and local storage). SVG files can have embedded scripts, too.

>Kubuntu instead of KDE Neon

what textbooks should I read?
I already have Javascript the goodparts, what others are good?

github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
eloquentjavascript.net/

thanks famalam

Any help here pls. It doesn't remove _over when mouse leave, just keep adding _over when hover
(function ($) {
$(document).ready(function(){
$(".test").hover(function() {
var img = $(this).find("img");
var src = img.attr("src").match(/[^\.]+/) + "_over.png";
img.attr("src", src);
});

$(".test").mouseleave(function() {
var src = img.attr("src").replace("_over.png", ".png");
img.attr("src", src);
});
});
}(jQuery));

Ow shit, found the problem
(function ($) {
$(document).ready(function(){
$(".test").hover(function() {
var src = img.attr("src").match(/[^\.]+/) + "_over.png";
img.attr("src", src);
}, function() {
var src = img.attr("src").replace("_over.png", ".png");
img.attr("src", src);
});
});
}(jQuery));

react or angular? i'm newbie, 20 years old

hey same here famalam

kys
and kys

already tried

if you just want a view layer and write the rest yourself react.
if you want the whole package angular

both are not easy to learn though. prepare to get your shit fucked up

This.
Loke some strange sound social media or a better version of vocaroo.

I'm new to backend development and I want to make an imageboard. Is Django a good place to start?

Why not make something people would want to use instead?

Like what? I'm not very creative

Friendly reminder that mobile phones perform like dogshit, none of your fancy meme Javascript frameworks will work on them properly, and you're basically a retard if you aren't designing around mobile constraints because it's the largest web browsing platform in the world.

If you care about and are able to make web pages that perform well on mobiles you're automatically better than 99% of the web developers in the world.

youtube.com/watch?v=4bZvq3nodf4

Any advice on how to pimp a my-account wordpress page for a native dev without much knowledge of the web realm?

got some places where I can learn so I'm better at this shit.

$(document.getElementById("derp"))

vs

$('#derp')

It needs to be a jQuery object, but is letting jQuery find it faster than calling getElementById and then making a jQuery object from that?

milliondollarhomepage.com/

this would be pretty simple to recreate with canvas. Someone less lazy than me do it.

I created a table with SQLite and gave it a primary key, however i want that primary key to start at a higher number than 1. Is this possible? I have a csv file im trying to import into this table, and it's primary key starts at 4000 something, not 1.

You can set the value you want. I hope you didn't use auto increment for your key?

Are you saying this primary key is auto incrementing?

I think getElementById would be faster since jQuery wouldn't have to analyze the string and then look for the element. I don't think that it really makes a difference though

I'm stuck to jQuery anyway, but I wondered if I could make it depend less on jQuery.

The file probably grows two times in size though, so I'm not sure it's worth.

Maybe this is an option
umbrellajs.com/

Nah, it's for fetching RSS feeds and stuff.

You can start your key wherever you want..just use default 1500 or whatever.

You're supposed to use auto_increment.

yes i just want it to start at a higher number

what's a good way to quote the price of devving a webpage for a local business?

im getting a datatype mismatch error (for every row). I created a blank table with the primary key set to auto increment, and its when i try to import the data into it is when i get the errors. The table im importing from i left the primary key cells blank. Im just trying to get the primary key to start at 1 for now, i'll worry about starting it at another number later i just want to get the PK to actually work. First time using SQLite.

Yes, Ubuntu is still the most complete for webdev nowadays.
You can literally apt-get everything in one command.

mint is great as long as youre not worried about the hipness factor/trends.

Mint is fine. Just download the OS and create a live CD from it then boot from CD and you install it just like Windows

Hey, sorry for the basic question.
Is there a best way/book to learn HTML?

Coming from an OOP C++/Java background with no web dev experience. I'm reading the sticky but there is a lot of info.

If you're coming from an actual programming background with ACTUAL experience you'd NEVER ask this question.

insert 4000 blank records, then insert the first record of the csv. Then delete the first 4000

First link in the learning section.

You don't realize how stupid you sound do you.

Or don't be a retard and just set the key's default to 4000.

>It needs to be a jQuery object, but is letting jQuery find it faster than calling getElementById and then making a jQuery object from that?

I think if you're using jQuery you don't really care about performance, so why does it matter?

Retrieving data from Yahoo takes a while anyway, but I don't need it to take long finding the damn thing to put it in.

what js library is the best for making websites?

vanilla-js.com/

Depends on the site.

highly recommend this also

displaying a random qt

I figured this would be the best place to ask but whenever I try to access a website it only downloads a file called download or viewtopic.
Any idea what's causing this?

kys.js

I love the White Pages mobile website.

Broken apache server.

javascript

memeObject[undefined]

what am i accessing? because assigning stuff to it doesn't seem to do anything

ok i got the primary key to start at 4000 and the table looks fine. However after I imported I got one "data mismatch" error on row 1. I have no idea what it is though and if it even matters. All the field are text fields besides the primary key. There are some empty cells from the csv (in other columns besides the primary key) but that shouldnt matter should it?

anyone have some horror stories about their job?
>working on site made in 1990's
>guy who set it up didn't do any code just used Dreamweaver's design section
>whole server is a mess of folders within folders and files
>spent 2 hours today redoing one page because its such a pain to find the right pictures for the page
this would suck if I wasn't getting paid well

then use vanilla js.

You can assign stuff to it just fine senpai.

Gimp is fucking shit.

I cant even select anything.

Why isnt there a paint clone and why the fuck isnt this a photoshop clone? Ctrl+D should be deselect you fucking autistic dev.

Row 1 are headers in csvs. You need to offset.
unset ($

Thanks dumbfucking Sup Forums for posting when I didnt tell you to.

unset ($yourarraymap [0]);

Consider Vuejs, I know it's not as big and trendy as those 2 but it's actually quite nice to learn and you don't have to learn shit like JSX.

When I pad a div with borders why the fuck is it padding the inside of the div instead of the div itself.

This subreddit is for programmers who make websites that actually work. Design monkeys have no place here. Off to with you

Are you setting any kind of box sizing?

No shit, I'm 6 months the OP here. Trying to make boxes to show my div issues here but gimp sucks.

Enjoy your fucked eyes

I already have glasses

>not knowing the box model
margin - border - padding - content

Maybe write the code again from scratch instead of doing retarded shit like that?

Yes, but no height.

I didn't need it on a previous page where I had a div that gave children divs padding instead of itself for some reason.

>jus rewrite the entire thing :^)
How to spot someone who doesn't do any form of development for a living.

'the entire thing' being a site from the 90's made with Dreamweaver? Guess you'd rather spend 2 hours redoing one page, pajeet.

>implying 2 hours on one page is a long time.

So you'd spend those 2 hours doing a whole new site instead of doing what they asked you to do?

Stay NEET, kiddo. And stop calling people Pajeet when its clear you have zero real-world experience or understanding of technical debt.

Whenever I'm asked to use SOAP.

>Simple Object Access Protocol
>Most convoluted bullshit imaginable

Thanks Microsoft
This is why people just use JSON.

I got a test from an employer asking me to use SOAP. I couldn't find any documentation that made sense.

That's because it doesn't. You just use a 3rd party library written by someone more autistic than you which turns it into something usable, like JSON.

Part of the test was that you can not turn it into json.

I'm being completely serious.

Rupert

Wait wait, you HAVE to turn it into JSON CSV and XML but you can't use something like json_encode

Is it an "API" if I have like 5 of them that specialize in different tasks?

Like 1 for finding something, 1 for posting something etc etc.

Seems that way
The goal of this mini-project is to develop some PHP classes
* that allow Magento product information to be displayed in several
* different formats (CSV, XML, and JSON). Each record should ONLY include
* the sku, product name, price, and short description.
* The CSV format must have a header row sku,name,price,short_description
* You are not allowed to use any of the built-in PHP encoding functions (i.e. json_encode, SimpleXML, etc)

If I study about 4 hours a day, how long do you think it will take me until I become ready for an entry-level Webdev job?

Once you have a degree or launched full-functional professional project that looks pretty.