/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have. If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here

Use as a link to find the sqt thread.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Synology-DS216j-NAS-DiskStation/dp/B01BNPT1EG/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is archive.is/archive.fo stuck on archiving for everyone or just me? the site is up and I can browse some older archived stuff but anything recent I try to browse just doesn't load.

Where can I get all the image iso files of windows? I remember there was a site for it, but I can't find it. I need vista in particular, please help, microsoft doesn't let you download it anymore.

how do i safely oc my 4790k i have a gigabyte motherboard

How do I spam?

How do I safely clean the inside of a computer using compressed air? What parts should I not touch

My headphones make this weird crackling noise sometimes when listening to certain sounds with bass in it. Sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes it fixes itself and sometimes I have to wait 30 minutes before it stops.

What is causing this?

My arrow keys stopped working sometime yesterday, the only thing I've done out of the ordinary is contact blizzard support to get my overwatch password back

They don't work in any program, and the on screen keyboard's arrow keys wont respond either.

I've googled, but every result is "press f7 ha ha" and when I put -laptop in the search to weed out all that shit, I just get weird niche results like lumosity.com

I've tried plugging in another keyboard which didn't work, restarted a few times, nothing.

bad drivers maybe

Fans

Why? Also, what about the mobo?

>Nexus 5 has screen burn-in from the navbar and the status bar

How in the fuck? Can it be fixed?

Tried reinstalling drivers, cleaning computer, and even reinstalling Windows.

i think moving the fans while the system is turned off could possibly create static electricity, which is never good for your pc. i could be wrong, though

just hold the fan blade while you use compressed air

nevermind, had vjoy on

I'm going to FUCKING kill myself I've been like, 3000% pissed all morning at this

I want to make a simple home server / htpc.
I can get an intel nuc without windows and use an hard disk i already have.
Is it a good choice or should I look for better hardware?

I just want to host my shitty webapps and play with steam in home streaming

A 3.5mm port on my subwoofer died, is there any fixing it? It was a pretty cheap sound system so unless it's something with minimal costs I can do myself, I'd rather just replace the whole thing.

I can't get the wifi on my T420 to work on Linux... anyone else dealt with this?

build your htpc

what's the best lightweight browser for windows?
Currently using pale moon and it's really slow and also doesn't scale properly if I make the window smaller than full screen.

which distro?

how do i crop a video?

If I rename a usb stick doest it deletes the data inside of it?

Both fedora and Ubuntu (latest stable releases)

Is there an easy (GUI or TUI) way to map custom keyboard keys and shortcuts, or am I stuck fucking with config files? I'm on Kubuntu 16.10.

>Both fedora and Ubuntu (latest stable releases)

I only have 4gigs of RAM on my comp.
Where do I go to buy more and how do I install it?
Explain it to me as if I was a five year old

Just search it on youtube, it's easier to understand in video format

>check if mobo has a free slot for it
>buy same model of ram from amazon
>put the lego pieces together

I know whenever I install a debian based distro it doesn't include the wifi drivers by default. You have to find the wifi chip and then go download the drivers on a different computer, then move them on to the laptop and install them.

no

should be in the keyboard settings somewhere.

I have 3 text files saved to my local machine. I'm trying to run a word count on them for multiple words. I'm a noob.

In my UNIX Terminal I use
grep -o
to output each occurrence of the word:
digital
in the target document:
1.txt
and then count the output with:
wc -w

So:
grep -o digital 1.txt | wc -w
grep -o Digital 1.txt | wc -w
grep -o digital 2.txt | wc -w
grep -o Digital 2.txt | wc -w
grep -o digital 3.txt | wc -w
grep -o Digital 3.txt | wc -w

It works, but it's very inefficient. I have to read all 6 outputs, manually adding lines 1+2, lines 3+4, lines 5+6. Then I have to run it for the next 7 words.

1. Should I set up an IDE and do this with Java or some other OOP-language?
2. How can I have the command search be case-insensitive?
3. If 2 is a no, then can I have the shell add the outputs?

Thank you

pls no bully

Thanks.
Will do.
If I were to juat replace my 4gig RAM with a new 8 gig one, will I lose any files or anything?
How will that work? Or should I just keep the old on on and just add a new one?

shouldn't lose anything, but you also wouldn't really be able to use the old one.

Again, just make sure you get the right type of ram (ddr3 or ddr4)

Ok, thanks.
I'll just replace what I have with an 8 gig RAM thin then.

What distro should I try that might have the drivers by default? I want something that just werks right now as I've tried most fixes I've found online to no avail...

>keyboard settings
I found it, doesn't work. Fuck.

I just setup Arch on a VM to try it out. Got xserver running useing lxdm and openbox. Question is: how do I automate the startup of all of this? And why can't I run lxdm as non-root?

it isn't really the distro's fault, it just doesn't include the proper wifi drivers with the installation image. Like I said, you could just download the drivers from elsewhere and move them onto your regular computer.

As for other distros, I don't really think there's any way to tell which of them will work ootb. Just keep trying.

why doesn't it work?

>he installed arch the regular way
There's literally no reason to not use arch anywhere or antergos.

I'm assigning shortcuts, applying the settings and restarting the computer. The shortcuts are saved but they have no effect in any application.

>he installed arch the regular way
what would be the better way? my plan was to build a setup without any superflous packages (for me needs)

arch anywhere or antergos.
If you want minimal packages then stick to arch anywhere. It sets up everything for you without any bloat.

if you are using kde, why don't you just search for it?

well fuck. now i feel stupid. well, at leat i learned something.

I did. The module just straight up doesn't work. And none of the suggestions on google are working either.

What controller should I get for my s7?
I was thinking the 8bitdo nes30 pro but I'm not sure.
Don't want that steelseries one because it needs shitty AA batteries.

what do you mean it doesn't work?
If you get "no service configured", it means you mistyped the application,

Get a dualshock 3

Hell, no. Unless you have lady hands

It doesn't work with it or I would use mine

I want to learn how to plan programs before programming them, where do I start?

Pen and paper? uml? or is planning just waste of time?

I can make all the changes I want in this menu. Applying the changes and restarting the pc saves the changes but the shortcuts don't work in any application. Half the default ones don't work either.

Is hbm 4gb better than a regular old 4gb of vram?

hbm is a meme, wait for hbm2

planning is not a waste of time, but you can do too much planning.

UML is a place to start, but don't use all of it.

I personally use a mix of class diagrams, state diagrams, flowcharts and scrum.
Those tools give me the best documentation / planning for the time they take to make.

If you don't have a project right now, make something simple you know how should be designed and try to plan that.

Write down all features you want, from a users perspective.
Then for each user story, write down all the things you would have to do in order to make those features available to the user.

Then map out how those tasks would be connected, so you reuse as much code as possible.

As for tools, pen and paper is very fast and you can easily discard sketches as you feel less attached to the work you put into making them.
When you have good designs and want to draw them, either use doxygen to automatically generate them from the code you have written or draw them yourself in whatever tool you fancy.
I like to make them in tikz as it is very easy to make and they usually look great in reports.

Is this accurate? Buying a laptop today, most likely a mid range dell.

it seems that you are correct.
hotkeys are transferred to the applications, but if there is another action, that gets carried out instead.
I thought they checked for this, but apparently they fucked up somewhere.
And if you use gtk applications these settings would not apply as well.
What exactly do you want to set?

Hurr and durr, captcha ate image

How so?

this is literally just a list of all laptop manufacturers...

Should i get this or try build my own?

amazon.com/Synology-DS216j-NAS-DiskStation/dp/B01BNPT1EG/

The price and OS seems good to me.

Apaprently thats, from top to bottom, best to worst.

mid range laptops are very bad, it doesn't matter what brand.
Apple is better than the rest in these tests as they don't have $500 laptops.
Find the laptop with the keyboard you hate the least and make sure you can run the software you want with the selected hardware.

I have a chromebook with the wacky keyboard it comes with. So I basically need to remap all the custom top row media keys and create shortcuts for F1-12, delete, and navigation functions (Pg up, pg down, home, end, etc.)

I'm looking more into implementing the crouton keyboard remaps. Seems like fucking with configs is where I'm headed.

Look at nano/fury performance and why it's not in rx series. memes

:3

Oh. It'll be an inspiron 7460, i5 6500U, GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5, 4 GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD, FHD IPS screen.

Will it do good enough with 3D modelling applications (mainly SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Rhino and the like)?

Is it wise time to buy a 6th gen I7 + Z170 mobo now ? Or is there a next round of motherboards just coming soon ?

help pls ?

If you are patient buy it now, wait till kaby lake. if you're not buy your skylake cpu and z170 mobo. But remember you may think 'i should have wait' till 7th gen

Remove english?

i need english too

why don't you just look it up?

Eh, in the performances it lost to the more expensive nvida cards at time. even then it by few or a couple of frames.

Reading into the reports, it holds well in 4k.

Im might actually get it, not for 4k but for 1080 or 1440p

Delete any keymap which doesn't belong on your keyboard... but arabic, unless you have an arabian keyboard.
Why would you need english if it's not the right layout? You can do just fine with the french.

>Captcha: drive on red
Satan pls stop tempting me.

Thinking of buying a switch to attach to my router and buying a couple of used NAS enclosures. Is this a viable option or will there not be enough bandwidth? If I stick to enclosures with 2x Ethernet ports and buy a switch with enough ports. Would this basically be a pleb-tier SAN? Do I need a managed switch or not?

Mushkin ECO3, Crucial MX300, Corsair Force LE, or Adata SP550?

Getting a nice managed switch with link aggregation would let you get 2Gbit/s to each NAS, though that wouldn't matter much if your router connection is only 1Gbit/s

850 Pro

There's plenty of used enterprise gear that's cheap on eBay, even 8+ port managed switches are pretty affordable. It's more for learning more about networking too. Like you said I won't benefit massively from link aggregation but the NAS devices will probably back each other up so id like to see how 3-4 4bay nas devices work with link aggregation.

Can I share Prime Reading with my mother's account? I just got Prime and she's super into ebooks on her kindle

so I made a script to crack bcrypt using wordlists or if they fail just classic bruteforce, does it make sense to get a cheap vps to do the bruteforcing, it writes the correct plaintext to a text file so I could just grab the text file after it's done, does this make sense?

How do sites that stream free movies and tv shows not get shut down or blocked by american isp?

they have tons of servers and domains that they either pay for or get donated to them

So it'd cost more money and hassle trying to shut it down then its worth?

yeah pretty much, I mean if the servers span multiple countries they'd have to get that countries police involved and shit

I'm overclocking my pc for the first time and i just wanna know if my temps are good and i have good settings for 4 ghz

How is anyone supposed to know the answer to this question without a CPU model?

Okay so, how do I turn this piece of crap from black to white? If you activate colors, white is not available.
>But the text on the taskbar is white
And I look forward to changing that to black as well.
Everytime i switch from debian to windows i have this fuckin edgy black shit, google only gives me results of fuckin normies who wanted to change the title bar.

My bad here it is

how do i turn off my computer

Underrated

pull it out of the plug socket, works best if you have SSDs

i think you would have to give her your account info

New to pc gaming here built a new pc a year ago (will post specs soon) what can I do to Maintain the same speed as if it were new. I feel like I have been getting low frames lately what can I do to maintain performance?

Are Antivirus/Antispy software (all that Kaspersky stuff) actually worth the money or just a waste?

Please redpill me on antivirus-software :^)

my monitor suddenly flashed blue with white stripes and didn't respond to anything so i shut down the thing, waited 20 seconds and turned it back on. the screen is now full of red horizontal stripes and the computer get's to the windows logo and then the monitor turns black.

i've managed to get it to fully boot 2 times but both times it only worked for couple of minutes before the screen turned blue with white stripes(the colors changed a bit every time)

i am pretty sure it is my graphic card as my monitor still works normally with my laptop but i can't really test it because i don't have other graphic cards.

the card is amd radeon hd 7970 if that helps.

I can trust her.

But what exactly do I have to do? Do all books have to be added to my account then manually shared with hers individually?

So, CPUZ is telling me that im running at 4000 MHz but bios, and speccy all say im still at 3.5 ghz. Did i do something wrong?

It's 2016 lads. What updates should I install on a new windows 7 installation?

Just get the latest service pack and call it a day, or should I actually keep everything up to date minus pic related?