Are desktop PCs going to be the old cars for millennial males?

I've started to see this. Guys around 30 give or take five years seem to have the most interest in in desktop PCs of any generation. They grew up with them and still use them. They know how to build them and repair them. And they look back on their youth with them fondly. That's a lot like the baby boomers and their old cars.

I'm already seeing a lot more interest now in old computers. Retro threads are getting more popular on Sup Forums. People are paying hundreds of dollars for keyboards that were being thrown in the garbage ten years ago.

Now lots of guys want to "restore" an old PC or collect one of the old workstations they used to see in movies and magazines, or on television shows like the Computer Chronicles. These guys get together and show off their projects at meet-ups. Like a car show.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8S3B8a8N83k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

portable computers cant run games though so desktop ones are objectively not obsolete

Technology that's simple enough to see the workings is interesting. Now that an entire motherboard is essentially on the processor itself there's not much to be done with it.

Not only that, but what hobbyists are doing with old tech is actually really staggering and I could spend a day talking about it.

Also, they have an inherent character to them. You would never confuse any component of an Apple ][ with a Commodore 64, or an Amiga 1200 to an Atari ST. Their OS' also continue this identity.

There's something special about putting two pieces that fit together. Like putting OS/2 on an old Thinkpad. It's unapologetically what it is.

>portable computers cant run games

How many copies of Angry Birds have been downloaded?

I mean games with good graphics, not normie shit

>portable computers cant run games

You mean the games most people play on consoles if they play them at all?

>implying a ricer kiddie space heater is comparable to a modern desktop

what is thunderbolt

consoles dont even compare

this

A hardware interface

>paying $2000 to run modern gayms at 20fps 720p on a 13" screen

Ok kid.

>consoles dont even compare
Oh, I'm sorry user, but they do. I'm terribly sorry but you fell for the "master race" meme, and its cost you thousands.

PC games are ports of the console, that's why they default their controls like they do.

>B-b-but muh grafix

Who gives a shit about the graphics? It's the gameplay that's important; that's why they're called games.

>paying ANY money to run modern games

Stop supporting trash.

Truly the epitome of portability and all other advantages inherent with the form factor.

>who gives a shit about graphics
wew

The same performance plus amazing new features, such as thermal throttling, at only 200% the cost of a standard desktop PC!

If visuals are so important watch a movie.

Don't forget the 140db fans and two hour battery life.

The premium price tag is for those unique features.

>Who gives a shit about graphics?
Well you're arguing against a point saying desktops are still relevant because of their potential graphical fidelity.

Not to mention that that thing is NEVER going to leave the desk, effectively making it a KEKED desktop for PLEBS.

C U C K E D
U
C
K
E
D

F O R
O
R

P L E B S
L
E
B
S

What the hell is that tumour growing on the back of the laptop?

Yes, I've been thinking this for awhile now.

Modern computing is going to get more and more like modern mechanics. Manufacturers will make it increasingly harder to do anything 'under the hood' so to speak. Things in consumer electronics will be less and less modular as time goes on.

There will always be a market for people who want to actually tear open their shit and customize/tweak/fix-it-themselves, but they will become an increasingly small minority of hobbyists, as opposed to the majority of computer users like they were 20 years ago.

They can be. Some of them have the desktop versions of i7s and GTX 1080s. They just cost a fortune.

There are even laptops ("portable computer") with Xeons in them.

GPU integrated into one port and charging usb c thunderbolt peripheral dock when

I think much of it also has to do with the fact that these machines are now a part of history, the effects of which are unavoidable in the present age.

In many ways these machines are the ancestors of all modern personal technology. To be able to refurbish them and use them functionally while simultaneously using their offspring is pretty marvelous.

The Vampire 2 blew my mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=8S3B8a8N83k

This is the kind of shit people are in to retro computing for.

I've seen cards for Apple 2s that allow it to connect to USB printers by having basically hplip running on a small CPU that the Apple 2 thinks is a serial printer and...It's fantastic.

Insane, but fantastic.

I don't really like this concept as much as when I see people do amazing things with hardware that existed at the time like SymbOS is doing.

This is the "PCS are dead" clickbait meme that journalists have been jerking off about since 2007 or so, making people think that necessary tools are memes.

Web apps are slowly replacing traditional software but the software in question has to be for text, pictures, relational databases, etc. You simply can't replace some software with anything web based because too much power needs to be on the PC. You'd need a massive internet connection for cad, modeling, or anything else that needs a lot of rendering power. Same for high end games which you can't pretend doesn't exist when it's a billion dollar industry.

It's true that for most offices you could have tablets and web based software, but you're a fucking moron if you think that the only reason that someone has a PC is because they "won't change". There's also a problem of way too much proprietary software relying on also proprietary hardware out there and people have to stick with one OS. Anything from the 80s is almost certainly circlejerk tier by now though.

The retro threads have nothing to do with this, since those "PCs" don't do a task, they just buy them and look at them and jerk off. They are completely separate retards. You're completely right about making the comparison for boomers and cars to some 80s shit PC, but modern workstations exist for a reason and that reason is they need power right there and there's no way any internet connection will support even software that might exist for it yet.

Stay mad kid.

Underrated

>Same for high end games which you can't pretend doesn't exist when it's a billion dollar industry.

On consoles, user. On consoles.

Oh and web apps do work on phones, and a lot of newer ARM processors now have specific VMs for java and such requirements built in.

And if you think people are doing CAD and 3D rendering on home desktops you're mistaken. Calling them "desktops" is very disingenuous.

>PC games don't exist because I say so
this must be Sup Forums's "PC gaming is dead". also circa 2007

it's almost certainly an egpu. You can make these yourself nowadays but you have to do research in advance and get the few laptops that support it. also need a laptop with an expresscard port. Most of the thinkpad X and T series *20 and up work with this

This is the future.

Why?

feelsbadman

>install software on windows
>it can do anything it wants
>install software on android
>it can do anything it wants, and it has to tell you so
result of "muhprivacy" journalist clickbait shits again

Because the OS maker do not want you to have a private life. And it's not just the future. It's the past, the present and the future.

dumbphone shits are some of the most hilariously stupid and stubborn retards on earth

owned an SIII for 4 years and never once took a selfie, used any social media, or played any games. Smartphones are great for business, wi-fi tethering, being able to run almost any programming language, android lets you run custom apps out of the box without rooting.

who gives a shit if kids play games. dumbphones have games. computers have games. you can use your car to play games like going to a demolition derby and ruining it. but you don't because you're responsible. stop this stupid meme of insisting that smartphone users are all automatically children because of games. you don't really know what you're talking about and basically becoming exactly what OP was thinking about, just really scared of it all and making up some psuedo-excuse.

this.

What went wrong?

Desktop PCs are the tech equivalent of ricing a car.

Your loud AMD piece of shit you put together for $500 is like a riced out 90s Honda

Your GTX Titty and i7 6900k inside a LED adorned case are like an Armo putting a fugly bodykit on his salvaged Mercedes

Actual rich people looking for performance just get a Ferrari and Macbook Pro

what the fuck is wrong with your brain?

the answer is fucking NO. the fact you even used 'retro threads on Sup Forums' as some sort of supporting statement shows how fucking disconnected from reality you are.

stay in school

I love desktops. I built my first one this year, and like some dudes and their cars, I named my computer and refer to it as a girl.

I'm going to build another computer pretty soon and give it a nice paint job and everything. Of course, the computer has to serve a purpose. I don't buy computers with processors from all the way back in 2002 and before.

I even want to buy a Mac Mini and mod the shit out of it too. Like give it a really sexy paint job.

>>install software on windows
>>it can do anything it wants

except it can't... they can't browse all your files, run at all times, access all your personal information

There are a whole lot of missing generations here.

>fagintosh
Yeah, if they want a fake Ferarri that explodes and only goes 30 miles an hour.

No it's great.
In 10-20 years, literally every white male is going to be a crossdressing sissy and it's going to be glorious.

>he thinks white males will still exist

How cute.

No, white people are just the new nigger of the USA.

What went wrong?

You have missed the point of this thread and can't see the forest for the trees, user.

Desktop PC != Workstation

Desktops will be all but extinct in 10 years. You might see a few here and there in a public building like a library or school, but they will be pale imitations of what used to be.

The desktop PCs used in places of business will become terminals acting as only I/O and basic processing while everything else is done over the network (think Chromebooks). Home PCs used by professionals will be workstations suited to their particular needs.

Whatever happened to Ubuntu phones? I'm kinda surprised that Google didn't try to steal that concept because it could've really caught on, or maybe they tried and I just wasn't aware of it

Not if MS and HP have anything to say about it.

Now that you've got this unrelated rant off your chest do you fancy commenting on the post you quoted?

>implying Macbooks don't use the same technology as what you just shat on

Or do you miss the good ol' days of Macs using Motorola processors?

see

Liquid cooling system docking station.

I saw this in a microsoft store, and it seemed like a nice idea, but it was trapped behind a disgusting proprietary standard and operating system stack.

Also, if you lose your phone, you lose your desktop computer, I'd rather keep them separate.
I consider my phone expendable, but my computer is not.

This. Got one 4 years ago and I have only moved it from my desk when I was cleaning it. Since it was a present I don't mind either way, but my next machine will be a proper desktop again.

sure

Replace "What we got instead" with "what dumbphone shits think"

add a new row
>"What is actually happening"
>show rooted android providing wi-fi to a bunch of laptops
>gps, e-mail, running web apps
>$130 chink phone better than locked down garbage
>dual boot linux

another row
>"Typical dumbphone shit"
>You have 0 messages and 0 texts
>"muh buttons"
>"muh keyboard... fuck swype"
>im better than u

I mentioned Google in my post for a reason. I have literally only known one person who owned a Windows Phone, if this type of computing is to catch on, it will not be spearheaded by Microsoft or >HP.

>he doesnt sync everything to the cloud

>cloud

Are we seriously at the point where Sup Forums is actually positive towards the botnet?

That is exactly what I was talking about. That phone is just going to act as something to drive the screen and capture input from the keyboard. It's not going store data locally or do the heavy lifting when it comes to processing.

Well, we were already born into a botnet. It's called being a citizen of a country.

Mods and user created content are a huge factor, though. I'd reckon that console Skyrim is rather dead, yet there are still ever new mods and overhauls being released on PC. Not to mention shooters.
>Playing shooters on a console
It's like playing a Stradivari with a Salami

That and PC is a better value to the consumer in the long run anyways.

I use cloud storage, but I don't trust cloud storage companies.
All my backups are gzip tarballed and encrypted before uploading.

> I mean games with good graphics, not normie shit
Tautology

What a stupid ass post. Stop trying to compare things to unrelated things.

Show us 'anime is real life1.jpg'?

You know you can get this with any phone that has MHL, right? every flagship phone after 2012 has it.

MHL cable to HDMI out monitor, then a bluetooth keyboard. any android phone after 2012.

>android
>with m/kb

Good joke.

I hate to admit, but I think OP is right. What's the point in building desktop PC when laptops are gaining so fast. Last lan party I went to, this one guy brought his gaming laptop and display. He was already playing when rest of us were hauling our full atx cases and trying to find enough space for all our shits. His gaymer laptop also cost about the same as our built PC:s. Soon there will not be much point in building.

Isn't the whole point of a lan party to be in good company?
Who cares how fast you can sit down and start playing your autistic MOBA grinder shit.

I like being able to change parts with two thumbscrews rather than 50 tiny screws that you lose any time you open up the case.

my point is people who get desktops are like poorfags ricing their cars for better "performance" when people with money just get a nice, comfy car that just werks.

Yea but I mean that hauling big case around seems like lots of unnecessary work.
Okay. Valid point. I guess it's easier to upgrade PC.

As soon as laptops became viable for games (sometime around 04 or 05), we all switched to laptops.

They could all run the games we played well enough that lugging our computers around simply was not worth it anymore.

I mean, if you're playing UT, Quake 3, Age of Mythology, etc. you don't need much more. Even laptops at the time didn't break a sweat, and none of us splashed out for them.

The very concept of a lan party is a lot of unnecessary work.
Instead of playing online and communicating over discord, you meet in person, pay travel expenses, probably pay the event organizers, and risk breaking your expensive gaming PC during travel, because enthusiast gaming components are heavy as fuck and likely to bend your motherboard.

Yeah, but how often do you do that?

LAN parties started because paying for an entire night of dial up was shit, and the service was shit, and the speed was shit, and the lag was shit. Playing online pre-broadband was shit.

LAN parties were literally the easier option.

>hauling big case around seems like lots of unnecessary work
Probably because it's not designed for that. Carrying your tower for a LAN party is a rare occurrence, and if it isn't then in that case you have to question whether you're willing to sacrifice power or longevity for portability.

While this is true for a lot of people on this board, I disagree because I built my current tower so that I end up spending less money in the future for when I'm upgrading obsolete components.

That's what people were saying in the 90s and yet here we are.

fucking retard acting so hipster and oldschool, my MSI runs GTA5 high 1080p 60 fps, better than majority of your desktops you fucking retards stuck in 2000

>I disagree because I built my current tower so that I end up spending less money in the future for when I'm upgrading obsolete components.

This is me all over.

>Oh no, I need more power on my processor!
>OH! I can just buy an i7 because it uses the same socket as my current processor!
>Plus, I can use the old processor for another build! Sweet

found the asrock mobo user

>obsolete components

Literally a meme to make you buy things.

>this thing you have that works doesn't really work,
>you'll have to buy a new one that works,
>from us, no less!

The fuck? If I legit need more power for something, then at least with the desktop I can upgrade.

I use shit more a decade or more, easily.

Have fun NEVER being able to upgrade it and ALWAYS needing MSI to repair it for inevitable thermal failures.

When I replaced my motherboard with an i5 in 2010 I finally had enough spare parts, except for a $30 case, to make another complete PC out of a C2D, which became my server. at the time I may have sold that new PC for $200 or so.

Letting people do what ever the fuck they want to do moral or immoral and condemning anyone who makes fun of them.The World has gone to shit or well atleast the USA

When a game lags on the lowest settings, it lags on the lowest settings, so if it's a game you want then you need to upgrade your parts in order to play it. Same goes for when something you really want to get into (for me it was making vidya in Unity) is not reasonably feasible on your current setup because it's not powerful enough.

To be fair, the hippies and crossdresser furries never affected you.
Let them live their life they way they want and stop judging.

I do. Doesn't mean I can't have a laugh at their expense online.

Everyone on Earth is a faggot in some way user. I bet you're a brony or some shit.

Nah, I only jerk it to little girls.