Wanted to upgrade to an RX 480. Wondering if a new CPU would be beneficial

I'm thinking of upgrading to an RX 480 and I was wondering if I should update any other components as well. In general my whole computer has been getting pretty slow lately. It's about 6 years old aside from the graphics card (R9 380) which was bought fairly recently. I'm wondering if while I'm upgrading to the RX 480 if I should invest in a new motherboard/CPU. Currently my specs are: Intel i5 2500K 8 GB ram Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 MSI r9 380 4 GB

Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated as I am relatively uninformed as to the newest things coming out lately in the PC world. (I'm also planning on moving windows to an SSD that I recently acquired as well to possibly help with the slowness.) I should also mention that the CPU has been getting pretty hot lately and I am weary on whether or not I should attempt to OC it.

bump

had same issue. in local ads found a guy selling barely used Skylke 6600 with Mobo and SSD. Also threw is shitty case and PSU... The guy is switching to Apple, thank you Apple

it would be beneficial to upgrade the cpu. sandy bridge is now starting to show its age on both sides of the fence.

personally i would heavily invest into x99 with broadwell-e. most new games now can actually not only utilize four threads, but are touching six to eight. MOAR (good quality) CORES have been paying off recently.

I'd wait and see what zen looks like. I wouldn't upgrade from a 380 to a 480, its not enough of an upgrade to justify it

Zen will suck, it just will. Intel will be on Cannonlake by the time Zen is out

As the other user said, I wouldn't bother upgrading from an R9 380 to an RX 480. It's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.

Are you still running your CPU at stock?

300 series is already being gimped just like HD5000 and 6000 series when HD7000/GCN came out.
Upgrade to 400 series or Pascal.

>300 series is already being gimped
Say what? The 380 is about 40% slower than the 480 and has been since day 1. No gimping to speak of.

Also, OP should be doing what said by getting on the big boy platform before doing anything else (in addition to getting the SSD he mentioned.)

I've got an i3-4430 at the moment, i've been wondering if i should just get an i5-46xx or just go for a whole new build. Which is a little tempting despite costing about 2-3x the amount of just upgrading.

Just wait a year or 2 and buy a used i7 4770 from some tard whos motherboard died.

I also have an i5 2500k and I have recently upgraded to an RX 480.
I don't see how the CPU could be a bottleneck in games. I'm not getting past 60% or so in the heaviest of them.
Maybe it will change in the future, or with different games?

Yeah and a 470 is as fast as a 290x, while the 480 actually performs better than a 390x.

They couldn't deliver 2x performance per watt so they have to gimp last gen to give the illusion. No way a 480 is only 11% slower than the fury.

these dudes don't know what they're talking about. I upgraded from a 380 to a rx470 and I felt the difference, a rx480 will be an upgrade son, performance, energy and temperature wise

Huh, allegedly new i7 4470s are going cheaper on eBay than i expected, might be worth thinking about.

Are you retarded or just pretending to be retarded?

>11%
It's 15% slower than the Fury in that graph you just posted. Stop exaggerating.

>R9 Fury - 7.7 TFLOPS
>RX 480 - 5.2 TFLOPS

That's like a 30% difference if we're using FP32 as the benchmark so technically it should be a bit slower, but we know games don't work quite linearly. Polaris does have some architectural improvements over Fiji/Hawaii going for it.

tl;dr stop being a faglord and show proofs of gimping or GTFO

>AMD shills going into damage control
Sluts, all of you.

Did the $480 ever get down to $199 or was AMD lying.

:3

>make stupid claims that can't be backed up
>get called out
>call shill

And looks like we're done here.

I think the stock cards can be found for around that price, but partner cards slap a $50+ premium on it.

AMD owns 57% of the gaming hardware market if you factor in consoles. Sure Steam shows all those Nvidia 970 GPU's and AMD way down the chart. But AMD still owns all the big consoles. Nvidia's share is something like 20% in reality if you divide between them and Intel and 'other'.

The 4 GB version can be had for $190 ish. Pretty sure 220-250 was the range Raja was touting as the spot for the full version a few months back during the comparisons to the 1080. I don't remember any claims of $199 full 480s.

>get called out
>yet not proven wrong
Haha

When they first announced the 480 they said $200 dollars and showed it running in crossfire competing with a 1080.

Pretty sure Raja is a fucking lying faggot and was just trying to hype people up for more AMD garbage.

on launch day the 480 was slower than a 970. the gimping is real.

whats the cheapest cpu to use with a rx 480?

they announced the 460/470/480 at 100/150/200 MSRP then retroactively changed it to 120/180/240. AMD cut the price of the 8gb 480 to 230 and the 4gb variant to 200 when NVIDIA launched the 1060 a few weeks later.

At this point it's safe to say both companies gimp older generations to sell the newer products.
Games haven't improved significantly in the last 8 years, yet you can't run a modern game that looks as nice as crysis on an 8800 anymore.

The 290x is 3 fucking years old. Great GPU but to say it's being gimped because it only matches the brand new 470 in performance in a brand new game is a joke. Note that the 290x is still trouncing its direct competitor the 780ti 3 years later which is no surprise as Kepler has been dunked on continually for the better part of 2 years now by the 200 series in every single game not named Project:NVIDIA.

I highly doubt that range of prices was ever stated directly by AMD. Much more likely it was rumor mill bullshit from pajeettech. Pic related shows Raja expected them to be on the market for about $240.

By that logic, why isn't a 1050 ti beating a 960?
Checkmate!

Are you 'avin a giggle m8? That comparison makes no sense because they are only 1 generation apart.

If you wanted to be fair you'd compare the 1050 ti to the 760 since that is a 3 year gap.

I just realised how close a 970 and 780 ti are in that chart.
Seems like only AMD is gimping here.

>Cannonlake by the time Zen is out

kekkles.
we'll be lucky to see desktop cannonlake before 2019.

when will her nudes finally appear, user?

R9 290 better than titan. R9 280x better than GTX 770. What gimping? AMD have better longterm support than nvidia.

did i build the memest machine so far?

770 is getting ~50fps. no need to switch yet

No reason to get a new CPU unless you really really really are CPU bound and want DDR 3200+ benefits in severely CPU bottlenecked games, in addition to not wanting to OC the 2500k.

Who ?

Not soon enough

A 2500k is NoT a bottleneck for a rx480.
My 2600k/gtx1080 scores about 7% lower than 6700k/1080 systems.

I would also not replace a 380 with a 480.