Why do console applications need to return plain text?

Why do console applications need to return plain text?

Why can't it render HTML?

It's a self imposed glass ceiling

Other urls found in this thread:

codersnotes.com/notes/a-constructive-look-at-templeos/
github.com/qqueue/ANSICHAN/blob/master/README.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why do console applications need to return plain text?
Why shouldn't it?

>Why can't it render HTML?
Why should it?

>It's a self imposed glass ceiling
What is that even supposed to mean?

/thread

Because it literally only returns text

You can't render Google Earth with plain text

You can't show an anime girl with oversized tits with plain text

Plain text is only good for tell you you're a potato munching retard but even that's better with a raster image

Because they are supposed to be simple and robust. If you desperately need a GUI with output rendered in HTML, make a frontend for the console program in question.

>You can't show an anime girl with oversized tits with plain text
>what is ASCII art

You can't be underage and post here.

Yeah because that's ideal

Why does Sup Forums even support images, just communicate through ascii art

^_^
(o)(o)
||

||
|\

>what is lynx

Would you believe TempleOS can do that sort of thing ?

I am not even shitting you.

The most notable feature of TempleOS is its ubiquitous hypertext system, DolDoc. This is the foundation for the both the shell and the text editor. Unlike Unix which represents everything via plain-text, everything in Temple is stored in DolDoc format. The format itself is somewhat akin to RTF, and you can hit Ctrl-T at any point to inspect the raw text directly.

But DolDoc isn't just for text. You can store images (and even 3D meshes) directly into documents. You can put macros in there: hyperlink commands that run when you click on them. So if you want to build a menu or launcher, you just make a new text document and put links in it.

All of this allows something similar to the Oberon system developed at ETH Zurich, where the distinction of text, programs, menus and forms all blurs together into one.

codersnotes.com/notes/a-constructive-look-at-templeos/

About as complex as they can get based on the environment is color and maybe bold.

Doesn't Plan 9 do this as well?

I don't mind the text. I just wish the commands were more verbose so they were easier to get.

>About as complex as they can get based on the environment is color and maybe bold.
Don't fool yourself, all terminal emulators these days are rendered on the fb.

Holy shit lads

I think this guy's over our heads

I meant it terms of legacy and established practises. Yes, you can show images (and play video) on the framebuffer, but it's easier for people to just imagine it as a pure command line. Otherwise you'll just cause more questions.

The first being things like "what's a framebuffer."

>"what's a framebuffer."

/dev/fb0

$ file /dev/fb0
/dev/fb0: character special

So the framebuffer is a character device anyways.

All TempleOS needs now is networking support

"What's /dev/fb0?"

See?

It's a command line. Let's just leave it at that.

>tfw i have no face when terry davis was sane the whole time and we were the ones that were insane

nice try, CIA

How can I post on Sup Forums via gods chosen operating system without networking?

Everyone in TempleOS threads knows he's a genius at a technical level.

He's just also fucked up at a personal one.

>tfw no terminal Sup Forums reader

Yup, terry is a very smart person. Pretty fucked up in the head, but very smart. There is a very thin line between genius and insanity.

>muh profound crazy genius

No, you fedora. He's just a good programmer that got schizophrenia.

Still it's pretty fascinating

He's the greatest programmer on Earth chosen by God.

That would be great except whenever I experience TempleOS I feel like I'm trapped in a living nightmare from which I may never awaken.

Because then it'd be called a web browser.

So basically Web 3.0 except with zero adoption.

>implying HTML isn't plain text

>Why do console applications need to return plain text?
Because that's what the purpose of a console application is -- basic text I/O.

Why doesn't your car cook toast? Because it's job is to move you from point A to point B, not to cook toast.

Why do you want to render Google Earth or display images in A FUCKING CONSOLE APPLICATION? These are what web or GUI desktop applications are for.

>never heard of /dev/fb0

The key word being "return"

Typing commands in plain text is advantageous, displaying things as plain text is not

There are many advantages to plain text stuff.
>user customization formats/fonts
>can work on anything from a quad 1080ti machine to a kindle
>low resource usage
>low bandwidth usage (ssh or other)
>output can be easily parsed by other programs (unix pipes)

Plenty of applications only require textual output. If I'm brute forcing the digits of PI, I'm probably going to want to only have some text representing digits. If I'm writing an update utility for my application, I probably only want to know some update status information, and maybe a progress bar that can be trivially implemented in ncurses. Maybe I'm writing a webserver. The only output that should be on the server end should be log messages, which will preferably be redirected into a file..

Also, I feel it is necessary to reiterate my point: If you need HTML rendering, why are you using console applications? Have you not heard of using the right tool for the right job? And if you find that a tool does not match your use cases, why must it be fitted to your use cases to the lamentations of others?

So you can edit the rendered HTML rather than the source?
That's brilliant! Not!

implement it

>console

Fuck off back to Sup Forums manchild

You can use mpv from a terminal (without a Xorg session) if you use DRM output.

github.com/qqueue/ANSICHAN/blob/master/README.md

Use Electron you fucking memester

make an html-shell
you can try PowerShell, it uses .net Objects

All of that works with HTML. It's markup.

You can still render plain text if you want to.

>Plenty of applications only require textual output. If I'm brute forcing the digits of PI, I'm probably going to want to only have some text representing digits. If I'm writing an update utility for my application, I probably only want to know some update status information, and maybe a progress bar that can be trivially implemented in ncurses. Maybe I'm writing a webserver. The only output that should be on the server end should be log messages, which will preferably be redirected into a file..
Plenty of websites only require texture output, it's still more ideal to have a stylesheet of some kind

You sound like the kind of person that can't imagine why a computer would ever need more than 64kb of ram and 10 lines of text. Try and think outside the box a little here

>Have you not heard of using the right tool for the right job?
It might seem weird but I'm not hearing a rebuttal for why it wouldn't make sense

>why must it be fitted to your use cases to the lamentations of others?
It doesn't need to, just have it be an option. And I didn't say all console applications have to be like this.

Here's why:

If you need more than just text, you develop a GUI you retard. That's not what a terminal is for. It's really that simple.

user, please. I just fapped.

>make terminal program
>output data as strings
>make gui for program
>read string data and convert it back to int/bool/dates

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

W3M+Ranger for viewing images
Why would you want to render Google earth in terminal, that's what GUI browsers are for. Why would it use HTML, that would pretty much just make it a web browser

And last of all, why would you even use it if you think that it's for potato munching retards?