Cyber Security AMA

>ITT: Ask a Cyber Security Consultant anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

nsa.gov1.info/dni/nsa-ant-catalog/
evilsocket.net/2016/03/31/how-to-build-your-own-rogue-gsm-bts-for-fun-and-profit/
youtube.com/watch?v=NvX9Dmxixaw&t=253s
pastebin.com/Ck6W4AWM
youtube.com/watch?v=JsVtHqICeKE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

kde or gnome?

Bluetooth or NFC?

MAC Address or ipv6?

Which type of buttplug do you prefer?

I'd use gnome if I was forced to. Lighter.
Up to you really.

I'd say Kali.

>cyber security consultant

so you... send emails to hosting providers all day?

i've worked help desk at an MSP for a year, how do i get out of this hell and do what you do

Step one: Don't do fucking support if you're interested in a security role. Start out in incident response (High turn over rate in Managed Services, start there). Work your way around. Easy.

Reverse engineering / malware analysis. Pentesting. Digital Forensics. Remediation. Signature writing. Threat intelligence, etc. Fortune 100 company.

Fuck off.

Considering everything is full of security holes, what's the most secure os?

Do you contribute to the NSA botnet?

Depends what type of endpoint your OS is for. Kaspersky OS is good for certain devices. THe business world uses Windows, no way to avoid it. It's more so the vulnerable softwares and plugin installed, not the OS. So long as you have true full disk encryption and a hardened PC you'll be as fine as any other. Everyone is fucked. Also, do you mean secure from malicious actors or government? If it's gov use hardened linux. If it's hackers just harden your shit.

are u a top or a bottom?

If your device is Western you do. If it's Chinese you contribute to theirs.

nsa.gov1.info/dni/nsa-ant-catalog/

Enjoy.

incident response? that just sounds like level 1 support to me

It's level 1 basic CSS investigations. Want to stay cleaning cum out of keyboards and reimaging laptops? You have to start somewhere, unless you have mad skills then go for a junior consulting gig.

Is it possible to do security consulting for small companies? By small I mean internal web-apps, small offices with a couple of computers.
Would it be possible to sell them pentesting and consulting?

>Consultant
Do you even get paid well?

What the fuck is that shit holy fucking kek

I've got mad skills but there are no jobs here. Can i move in with you instead?

Yes. If you want $$$ you do consulting.

Yeah, do web app testing. Lan pentests. external pentests.

How did you get to where you are?
What college did you go to and what course did you take to get a degree for your job?
Did you learn a lot of what you need by yourself, or from teachers?
Any tips for an user that is heading down that path?

Alright I'm outta here.

PS. What is the most vulnerable part of a computer?

>If you can't answer that correctly then you aren't ready for a cyber security role

Periphery/the user.
PS. Get fucked you self-important prick.

The user.

Now fuck off.

>Alright I'm outta here.

That wasn't exactly a very extensive AMA, was it.

>I'd say Kali.

So real sec folks actually use this meme skid thing?

how many times do you fap a day?

cyber security guy in my office just go around terminals and changing passwords every day. lmao

is that what you do?

confirmed for OP making shit up

Kali ore Parrot ??

I'm actually a pentester for a Fortune 50 company. I've been monitoring this thread. OP is full of shit. I wouldn't even classify him as a skid. More like a role-player.

We use a custom build of Debian. Once this skid said Kali, all credibility went out the window.

hijack the threat and answer peoples questions then

this so much, OP didn't mention havij once that's how you know he's full of shit

but kali Linux is a custom build of Debian too ?

Actual security engineer here. Yes, but normally only junior level people. People eventually figure out what works and what doesn't and then run either a Debian distribution or arch.

Why is my security compromised when I use a public wifi?

because you are then on the same network as an attacker. If he as any skill at all, it will be fairly easy to monitor all your traffic. Also ARP poisoning attacks to phish for login credentials. There are a bunch of things they can do.

What is best Kali Linux ore Parrot OS

For English use the period for statements?

kali, without question

parrot is a meme

promiscuous NICs, you dingus
neither you fucking pajeet precisely twice, once in the morning after I work out and once after lunch. Keeps the head clear.
books, didn't, self, don't, the field is saturated by memelords like OP who think they're mr. robot level hackers but are actually fedora lords. Get into big data analytics if you want to make real money.
trick question, power bottom.
who don't

if you have to ask you're a newbie so kali, more tutorials on it if you're not a newbie either will work for you

you are right. i am a newbie. i dont know shit yet

Get the Croatian compromised ip that hackers are using to try to get into my emails out.

have any one of you tried this. i cant get it to work.
i am running Tails OS from USB, i try to install Virtual Box so i can run kali linux from it. but i am not able to install Virtual Box

are your interests in hacking illegal or professional? also are you interested in something specific?(I can recommend you some stuff)

to start with i want to do legal stuff only

I'm a kde man myself

i have tested some stuff on my own network. like the Android hacking from kali, it works but only LAN

Which certs you consider useful to have?

stupid idea assuming you're hacking almost anything worth hacking they'd be blocking TOR so you wouldn't be able to do much better solution is normal OS with VPN>kali linux with different vpn

I'd recommend buying/torrenting any and all books on amazon (I'd personally recommend RTFM, blue team handbook, black hat python, grey hat python and watch all the defcons you can find that pique your interest) but the best option for a newbie is a college course usually labelled some shit like IT security failing to find one of those learning networking and programming would be useful
what job are you trying to get?

right now i am just testing different things out. but ultimately i want to be a hacker for the sake of good. i will try to do good things when i get skilled enough. i think the gray hat would suit me

I just realized what thread we're in
CCIE Certification
CompTIA Security +
CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker
CISM: Certified Information Security Manager

>ultimately i want to be a hacker for the sake of good.
start looking for exploits in websites and reporting them to the website owner and making patches to improve security on github software (also make a github this hellps with employment) one thing I'd recommend is finding a chat client on github and adding encryption to it

>CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker
CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker

Fucking hell that's a meme certification!

CCIE and CISM are good tho

it is a meme but at a small company having a cert with "ethical hacker" in it would carry a lot of weight

Yeah it's mostly for HR people to look at.
OSCP is the one you want if you want nerds jacking off to you.

What do you think of HAK5 and the tools they sell ?. i am thinking of buying The WiFi Pineapple device

can you recommend a good VPN that costs money and a good one that is free ?

Not OP, but WiFi Pineapple is the shit.
Rubber Ducky is overpriced, look up 5054500 or 6187500 on fasttech if you want a cheap bad usb

Do you have it ?
i was thinking of buying the rubber ducky too haha

hello fbi

mullvad and there isn't a good one that's free, why would a company provide a service that costs them money for free
you can make all their tools for cheaper, just search how to make x

I don't but a coworker has one that we play with in the office.
I do have the Arduino alternatives to the rubber ducky and they are good. One is a dollar the other is three, so try them if you can!

I will, thanks for the info

College student looking to get into cybsec.

do you ABSOLUTELY need calculus?

>Cyber Security
>Consultant
>AMA

>>>/plebbit/

i once saw a youtube video about how to make a homemade IMSI catcher with raspberry pi. is this bullshit?

found this
evilsocket.net/2016/03/31/how-to-build-your-own-rogue-gsm-bts-for-fun-and-profit/

Brofix:

How does it feel knowing you'll always be a script kiddie

can you tell me how to read and write to RFID dor keys. and maybe copy a dorkey to the phone and use the phone as a dorkey ?

your phone can't write or read RFID

found this
youtube.com/watch?v=NvX9Dmxixaw&t=253s

sorry NFC then. the phone detects when i put the key on the back. i got the s7 edge. and when i put the phone up to the door it detects

if youre too dumb to pass undergrad calc courses just forget it man

this is the thing i can put my key and phone up to

You're an idiot and a harmless script kiddie.
You don't need calc. to know how antivirus key checkers work, how firewalls are configured, how to craft TCP packets.

I bet you just use Kali Linux all day thinking you're some 31337 hacker, when's the last time you've used an algorithm to fix your problem?

oh yeah NFC works, just google writing/reading NFC on android
if its NFC (I doubt more than likely it'd be RFID) just google how to copy NFC key android

certs are useless all are incredibly out dated

i got some apps and things happen. but i think the readings i get is cryptet

How much more time do you reckon your job has till they figure out your dedicated role is pointless?

since op does not care about noobs here you go

pastebin.com/Ck6W4AWM

im not even involved in the security field man, i'm just saying that if you have a hard time passing undergrad calculus you aren't intelligent enough to do anything that requires ingenuity. the type of person who cant pass undergrad calc and is seriously concerned about it is more belonging in a position to help old people install microsoft office and make sure they keyboard is plugged in or whatever -- the IT equivalent of licking envelopes all day

also be prepared to give up on life and study none stop this is not a game

its highly recommended to start as a sys admin then go into pen-testing

"if you have a hard time passing undergrad calculus you aren't intelligent enough to do anything that requires ingenuity."

Are you even involved in anything IT?

not even close to being true

youtube.com/watch?v=JsVtHqICeKE

this is the data i get from NFC-Tools

>i cant pass basic post secondary math courses but i expect to be successful in a highly competitive, highly technical field

maybe you dont quite understand what i'm saying here (which also ties into my general point -- ppl who are too dumb to do calculus aren't good at understanding things in general), i'm not saying that calculus is involved in cyber security at all, however what i am saying is that if you're not smart enough to pass calc 1-3, you're going to struggle at anything that requires a higher understanding

im just giving you the heads up now, take it or leave it pal

when i scan the tag/key

Do you even know the difference in runtime procedures between amd64 and i386 architects?

I'm guessing you're just some first year grad student that tries acting smart online just to impress some people on a website.

you really are too dumb to understand just how wrong you are

Not the user you replied to, but I really enjoyed that talk. Thanks for the link.

How do I get started learning what you do?

You're totally right. If you're smart enough to work on high level computer work, calc should be the absolute last thing to worry about. Basic cis courses require much more analytical thinking then the basic calc courses

>"im a cyber expert, trust me guys", AMA
>thinks this is reddit
>no time stamped proof
>doesn't bother making a trip or even namefagging so we know when he's answering

OP, you are objectively cancer.

> Cyber
lost

Cal 1 I'm fine with, it's Cal 2 that's kicking my ass left and right.