480 beating a 390x

>480 beating a 390x
>480 only 11% behind the fury
>470 as fast as a 290x

>on launch the 7870 was as fast as a 6970
>literally the next year the 6970 can't
even compete with a 7790

THE GIMPING IS REAL, THEY'VE DONE IT BEFORE AND THEY'RE DOING IT AGAIN.

FUCK AMD

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/computing/238633-evga-gtx-1080s-1070s-allegedly-exploding-due-improper-vrm-cooling
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>post information from a single benchmark
>posts extrapolated data from non-represented information
>whining about 1 company or another

Also, what a shocker. Older GPUs don't perform as well as newer GPUs as drivers are improved. Someone call the presses!

>470
4900 Gflops

>290x
5630 Gflops

>Ford F150 5.0L V8
385HP

>Ford Focus ST 2.0L I4
252HP

>FOCUS IS FASTER AROUND A TRACK
>FUCKING WHAT
>FUCKING GIMPING FORD
>WHY IS THIS ALLOWED
>FUCK FORD

it's the same with dishonored 2 though. if we're going to apply it to nvidia we have to apply it to amd and intel.

>no r9 295x2 on that list
fuck off with this Sup Forumsarbage

480 is awesome. I love mine

Which one weighs more?

Which GPU is on a more efficient architecture?

Efficiency doesn't impact performance. The 390x has a much larger heatsink and fans.

Weight does impact acceleration, velocity, and handling though so that's a shit comparison.

>titanfail

Not necessarily efficiency in heat production and energy usage, but in total design. If the same calculations can be accomplished in less cycles due to newer instruction sets/microcode, of course it's going to do math faster, even if the raw power is less.

Also, with newer Hypercars like the Porsche 918, it's a Fatty at 3,600 lbs compared to other Hyper Cars, but it still powers around tracks faster due to the efficient use of technology in it's design.

IPC has improved, but CUs are much less than the last gen.

For GPUs, this shouldn't cause a big enough difference for a 470 to be able to close in on a 290x.

>918
>faster

it gets absolutely trashed by the ferrari and the p1 digs its grave.

>my 1070 still absolutely murders anything AMD has at 150w

It's a good feeling to have the best price-performance high end card there is.

Buttmad AMDrones can stick with their nodrivers and housefires.

extremetech.com/computing/238633-evga-gtx-1080s-1070s-allegedly-exploding-due-improper-vrm-cooling

>literally exploding

Meme magic strikes again.

>mfw gigabyte 1070
Feels good buying from a top quality brand that actually cares about qc.

Sad that none of them has drivers.

I've got a GTX 7870 and can't even install their fucking drivers and their log files literally showed nothing.

Went through some 'fixes' like going in to safe mode and removing all traces of old drivers and changing group policies, downloading the old CCC to get the driver.

Enabling Windows Update and getting it to download the fucking driver actually worked for me though.

>GTX 7870
What year is this???

>Mfw PNY GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Better calm down before that motherboard of yours is cooked, Pajeet.

2012+4

>GTX 7870
>tfw in the future, NVidia buys AMD and their GPU technologies are combined to create $1000 time machines that have no drivers and run too hot

>implying you can gimp cars
>implying they dont just shit out on their own
Unless we made roads that made older cars slower so you had to buy a new one

Why is it that every time someone posts some shit about how "nvidia gimps their cards" they never post evidence and when ever I ask for a source I get called a shill?

Go ahead and ask kepler user how their cards perform to modern titles

That isn't evidence of Nvidia Gimping cars with new drivers

fuck off nvidia shill

I don't get this, my windforce 680 4GB is performing great for a 4 year old card.
I'm still playing the latest titles on high or ultra settings.

You don't get it because its baseless bullshit

>The fact that the kepler-competing 290x perform better in newer games should be evidence enough that nvidia is messing with optimization on older card

only stock kepler cards run like shit, the same goes for the 900 series cards at stock. any decent aftermarket kepler or maxwell card is still running games like a dream today. jokerproductions did a video on it and compared the most popular aib 970 and 390 at around the same price point and found that in bf1 (where the 390 stock beats the 970 stock by upto 10 fps) the 970 came on top by upto 10 fps. duderandom84 also makes videos comparing the 480, furyx, 780ti matrix, 1060 and 970 strix and the 780 ti is as fast or faster as the 970 and 1060 and even beats out the 480 and fury x in some titles like mafia 3 or dishonored 2.

I didnt mean to greentext it, ugh

No its not, that means the game's being programmed in what ever way. Theres tons of shit where the AMD cards can compete better than the Nvidia cards and vice versa.

This is not evidence. Its a card aging this is not evidence of Nvidia gimping their old cards with new drivers in an attempt to get them to upgrade sooner

Then explain why the 290x perform better on newer titles, while back when 780 released it stomp the 290x for like 20℅ faster

Gtx 670 here, for the age of the card it performs fine. Only wish was that it was a 4gb and not 2gb card as most newer games run right at the limit.

Maybe because thats the way the developers are programing their games.

>oh man this game performs great
>wow this completely different game 4 years later runs like shit

you're fucking retarded THIS ISNT EVIDENCE

>Shifting the blame to game developers
You're the retarded one mi amigo

you ever think its because they're entirely different games?

>oh man these two different cards perform completely different on two different games from two different ages why is that?
>it must be nvidia

You're literally comparing apples to oranges to bananas to grapes

it doesn't perform better though. it's only better than the stock 780 ti but as i explained with places to check proof here , the 780 ti aftermarket versions still kick ass today and compete with the 1060 and 970 and even fury x. the 290x also competes with the 970 today so a conclusion is easy to see that they're still competitive. i'd assume that nvidia aims for as low clocks as they can at stock for power consumption reasons and also because they know they can win initial benchmarks whilst the amd driver team is working on driver optimizations for the first 18 months of release. this is also probably why amd cards can't overclock well or even at all, in the case of the fury x (literally crashes with even 10 mhz added, see duderandom84) and why nvidia cards can overclock to the moon.

Im a 770 user, im at first also suspect that nvidia is gimping my card when my rig cant play gtav smoothly after i upgraded to windows 10, turns out that xbox app is hogging resource with its dvr apps.

Who cares?
I'm still enjoying my 680, if you bought a 290x then good for you.
And if you didn't then you have serious mental issues.

>4 years old
>still runs shit on high or ultra
Can't really ask for more from any processors 2bh.

>780ti
You should visit nvidia forums on witcher 3 section. Count how many are complainin about their $700 cards from 2013 performs

>wah my shit runs like shit in a particular game, its nvidia gimping me

this is NOT evidence

>witcher 3

at least reply with some logic, as i have been doing. it's common knowledge that the game was glitched on kepler cards on the week of release but it's also common knowledge that they fixed the performance problems asap (again, see duderandom84 780ti patch video). your argument is failing with every post you make.

sad.

But witcher 3 got patched.

>918
>efficient use of technology
>shove 8000 vape batteries in a Porsche

>buying the cheapest option
>no housefires
It's a great day to be jewish

>HD 6970 with 2700 Gflops
>HD 7870 with 2500 Gflops

>HD 6970 17/23 FPS
>HD 7870 26/37 FPS

THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS

flops is not a metric of performance that translates to actual performance

>Everything else is off, no AO, no AA

Wow, amazing performance there.

>gaining 20fps thanks to a single driver update isn't impressive
You must be on drugs, it's the only explanation that makes sense...

cant tell if you're legitimately retarded or just trolling. if someone was is getting an increase of 10 fps with the same settings as he was before with the only changing variable being the driver then it's obviously the driver which is giving the performance boost. keep up the damage control though. it's funny.

Lmao okay baby, time for you to get back to the kitchen.

God damn, the 480 really is better than both the 980 and 970. The shills were right afterall.

It's almost as good as a nano while consuming less power!

Its exactly what AMD said it was.
AMD promised entry level VR performance.
Oculus defines their minimum recommended GPUs as a GTX 970 or R9 290.

On release the RX 480 was alright neck and neck with or outperforming these cards in most everything save for some outliers. As always they performance increases over time with new drivers.
They also claimed up to 15% higher IPC for 4th gen GCN. They've amply delivered on that now.
Wattman bugs are also worked out, and its handling voltages as intended. Adjust power target down 20% and you lose almost no performance while cutting power consumption down 20%.

Not in the other recent game release, dishonored 2. It's better than a 970 but not as good as a 980 especially any decent aftermarket 980.

>better than a 980
480s kick ass but that's pushing it

So 1/5th of a 480's power is literally useless fire-inducing garbage