/hpg/ - Headphone General

- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AXBKYBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QP5IGHEXLR9H&coliid=I2NMVXBOIXWNDP&psc=1
aliexpress.com/item/Single-Power-Supply-Portable-HIFI-Headphone-Amplifier-PCB-AMP-DIY-Kit-for-DA47-Earphone-Accessories-Electronic/32710062133.html
aliexpress.com/item/Single-Power-Supply-Portable-HIFI-Headphone-Amplifier-PCB-AMP-DIY-Kit-for-DA47-Earphone-Accessories-Electronic/32617561470.html?
youtube.com/watch?v=4b3R-JMspV0
aliexpress.com/item/ZHILAI-H1-PCM2704-computer-sound-card-DAC-digital-input-3-5-USB-external-sound-card-audio/32589666753.html
krix.com.au/equinox-mk3/
stereophile.com/content/wilson-benesch-square-one-series-2-loudspeaker-measurements
amazon.com/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_IWbmybVSD0EVN
amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5XbmybF82A3PS
amazon.com/dp/B00DCXWXEI?m=A5ZRC4DPYV13E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have k240s, but I am thinking of getting some HD681s for a friend because I am a cheap ass.

>Budget
$200 max
>Location
U.S.A.
>Source
no amp, laptop and android phone
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
closed preferably
>Comfort level
med-high
>Sound signature
neutral, versatile if you can
>Past headphones
Monoprice 8323, Xiaomi Piston 3, Superlux HD668b

We already have a thread you idiot.

Link?

How are the hifiman 400i's? They are on sale atm, i listen to pretty much all genres of metal but mostly black metal or black metal with classical elements like pianos flutes violins etc. Recording and mixing quality is usually fucking complete shit on the albums.

Its basically down to hd 650 or hifiman 400i so Im just waiting for hd 650 to go on sale in canada or for someone to state if the hifiman 400i are any good for shit recordings of black metal.

it's dead u jumbo bumbo

Chinkfiman is bad. Wait for another massdrop hd6xx or hd650 to go on sale. Bad because how colored sounding they are.

>Budget
up to 300 euro's
>Location
Belgium
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
don't really care. maybe a preference for open.
>Comfort level
high. wear them for long periods of time.
>Sound signature
as long as it's not mid-centric
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 449 - pretty happy with them, but i wonder how much of a difference there would be compared to the best out there.

I would deeply appreciate any advice on this.

These will be workout earbuds

>Budget
$60 flexible
>Location
USA
>Source
Nexus 5x, no external amp
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Sound quality > durability > comfort level
>Sound signature
No boosted bass. I listen to a lot of ambient and prog, so soundstage is important
>Past headphones
AKG K550 (daily drivers for computer work)
Klipsch s4i (loved their sound and comfort. RIP)

Thanks friends

650 are slightly colored as well from what ive heard, just enough to keep sibilance away (which is good for shitty recordings). Ive heard the hifiman 400i are way better than the rest of the hifiman headphones so thats why debating it.

Also massdrop is 100% garbage for non us citizens, I would get dicked like 150$ from customs and redic shipping costs. So the hd6xx are out unfortunately.

So I was looking for some beater closed headphones, no more than $40, I was leaning towards the HD202s, but then I heard about these Panasonic RP-HTX7-W1. From what I've seen people seem to like them. Should I just go with the 202s or are these Panasonics worth a look?

bumping this thread since the other one doesn't have a title

>Budget
$250 max
>Location
USA
>Source
onkyo a-9010
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort level
high
I plan to wear them for prolonged periods
>Sound signature
neutral leaning towards the low frequencies
>Past headphones
Beats studio(they were a christmas gift I swear)
GR07 Bass Edition(I fucking lost them)

Hurry what's the best headphones in all price ranges to buy during Black Friday?

or Cyber Monday

bump

>Budget
$50

>Location
USA

>Source
PC

>Type of headphone
Full sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Reasonably comfy, as long wearing it won't cause me physical pain.

>Past headphones
I've been using the same pair of Skullcandy earbuds for the last 5 years, so pretty much anything will be an improvement.

Completely new to the headphone world, any advice would be appreciated.

What's the best, cheapest amp/dac to drive the AKG K7XX?

whatever is on your phone and/or motherbaord

Looking to pick up my first pair of nice headphones, likely a 558 or 598.

They're open obviously suits me 98% of the time but what about airplanes? Is it going to leak too much or let too much in to be even usable?

Really? Googling it lots of people are going on about how hard it is to drive these... Will try when I get them.

>Will try when I get them.
this is the best way to do it.

>Budget
$300
>Location
US
>Source
Laptop or phone
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed. Looking for good sound isolation
>Comfort level
Very comfortable, I wear them like 12 hours a day
>Sound signature
Warm
>Past headphones
I have XPT100s now and had JVC HARX900s before that. Looking for something higher quality and warmer than the XPT100s.

I liked these more than the HD202's. Solid headphones but died after a year of heavy use. Good for the price.

>Budget
Around $250, but that is flexible.
>Location
U.S.
>Source
Directly from desktop computer
>Type
Full-sized
>Open/Closed
Closed. Looking for reasonable sound isolation.
>Comfort level
These will be worn for long periods of time, so comfort is a priority.
>Sound signature
Definitely neutral
>Past headphones
Razer Kraken (received for free from a stream). Dislike almost everything about them. Highly uncomfortable, sound quality is awful, and they're falling apart.

>Budget
~$100,00 - $150.00
>Location
Canada
>Source
PC or Phone
>Type of headphone
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Either or
>Comfort level
I will wear them consistently, so pretty good
>Sound signature
Bassy music but also decent treble
>Past headphones
MEE Audio Woofer buds, Logitech G230, RHA 750i's

Some user recommended the Bluedio T series. I was wondering which specific type to look out for? Thanks

if you do, get new pads
they need them immensely
also they're extremely treble heavy.
superlux 662 EVO's are a fair bit better since theyre more flat and include velour pads

yeahno you won't want any open headphones on an airplane at all

Either ATH-M40X with HM5 pads, or DT-770's
Both are good options. 770 is slightly more exaggerated compared to the M40x.

Any of them. They're all decent. Anything with Bluetooth 4.X really. The newer ones are better but the older ones are still perfectly usable.

>Budget
200 dollars, but cheaper is better
>Location
America
>Source
Note 5 cell phone
>Type of headphone
something that comes in different colors. its a gift for the gf. on/over ear doesn't matter too much
>Open or closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort level
very comfy
>Sound signature
a slight v shape would be ideal. Or a slight bass emphasis. As long as mids and highs are still clear and nothing is fatiguing
>Past headphones
Soundmagic e10's

I'm torn between the:

Shillheiser 598SE
and the
Autistechtica M50X

I want something with a perfectly flat response and that's very comfortable for long coding sessions. I don't care much about mobility etc.

Build quality I want it to be top notch. Price isn't too much of an issue as long as there's actual value rather than audiophile markup.

If you have a better suggestion please tell me

Oh man the 250 premium DT990s are $196 on amazon

>I want something with a perfectly flat response
you won't find that with headphones.

M50's have like no sound stage.

That alone kills it for me, but that is a bit subjective.

Oh I forgot to do this thing sorry
>Budget
~$150,00 - $250.00
>Location
Australia
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Over Ear preferably
>Open or closed
Either
>Comfort level
Need max comfort
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
ATH-ANC9

Sorry I meant a casual perfect (like, compared to stuff in its price range)

>no sound stage
Hmmmm you know I've had closed cups for so long that I haven't really considered that.

The M40X apparently has a flatter response than the M50X which is trying to compete with nigbeats

>Budget
~$40CAD
>Location
Canada
>Source
Phone and portable consoles
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Obviously preferable but not the top priority.
>Sound signature
Neutral but I'm flexible as long as it's not skewed too far in either direction.
>Past headphones
HD598 at desktop, currently using MEE M6 for portables.

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that are durable and sound decent. I bought the M6's based on Sup Forumss recommendation last time but they partially/entirely broke in a year just like every other IEM I've ever owned. I'd also prefer non over-the-ear styled cables if possible since I found them uncomfortable to use laying down.

Or am I better off just buying 20 pairs of cheapo ones and swapping them out as they disintegrate?

I'm in your shoes also, and I plan on getting these

smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AXBKYBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QP5IGHEXLR9H&coliid=I2NMVXBOIXWNDP&psc=1

>I want something with a perfectly flat response and that's very comfortable for long coding sessions. I don't care much about mobility etc.
Neither are perfectly flat, though the 598 is somewhat close. The 598 has somewhat prominent mids, and slightly recessed low end. They're extremely non-fatiguing.

M40x have very prominent low end and highs. They can be a little fatiguing after a while. You also NEED new pads, since the stock ones are god-awful.

>Build quality I want it to be top notch. Price isn't too much of an issue as long as there's actual value rather than audiophile markup.
Both are build pretty respectably. Ignore people who spout the 'snappheiser' meme. The newer models are perfectly fine.

Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT-100 are a much better option than the M50x. They're extremely flat, and come with extremely comfortable earpads.

Though if you really /do/ want something like M50x, look at the M40x. They're still quite bass heavy, but not quite niggerbass like m50x.
And they still need replacement pads.

>Though if you really /do/ want something like M50x, look at the M40x. They're still quite bass heavy, but not quite niggerbass like m50x.
Yeah I think I changed my mind on the m50x now, the nigger bass sounds like it's a bit too much. But they look so cool...

For some reason (((Amazon))) wants to charge much more to deliver the M40x to Austfailia, but good suggestion.

You seem like you really know what you're talking about, open vs closed: does it effect comfort? I'm guessing open has better ventilation.

Any measurements or people who have the new Xiaomi 2DD+1BA Hybrid Pro? Are they better than Piston IV?

>For some reason (((Amazon))) wants to charge much more to deliver the M40x to Austfailia, but good suggestion.

Sucks about amazon. I don't really use it though. But make sure to take a look at eBay or Minidisc. I find both sometimes compete with importing sometimes, depending on the product.

There are also some Australian companies that import US amazon shit. Their prices might actually be competitive.

I got my 598's for $210 AUD off ebay. Cheaper than anywhere else. [Don't think you can find them that cheap anymore though]
A lot of unconventional sites are often cheaper for some reason.

>You seem like you really know what you're talking about, open vs closed: does it effect comfort? I'm guessing open has better ventilation.

Yeah, It does affect comfort a bit. As you said, ventilation. Both through the grill/back, but also due to earpad material. Closed typically has leather or leather like materials that don't really breathe fantastically, wheras open typically uses more fabric type materials like velour, which breathe quite well.

In Australian summers you'll probably want open, as long as you don't have an insanely loud air-con.

How much better is the AKG K702 from the K612PRO? I'm able to pay the extra $50 for the 702, just wondering if I'm getting my money's worth.

702 is worse.

Why is that?

Less neutral. The K612 Pro exhibits the least amount of the AKG 'honk' or metallic upper midrange, it also isn't as bright in the treble.

>I got my 598's for $210 AUD off ebay
You can still get them for the same price off Amadung

ausfag with HD598s here, great for long sessions, not fatiguing at all. would recommend desu

Thanks ausbro, it gets really hot here in Perth in summer makes most headphones impossible to use for more than half an hour.

Will order HD598SE then, do you use an amp?

Oh shit, thats actually a good deal.

Second this.

You don't need an amp. They're really easy to drive.
I personally use a 10 dollar DIY one from aliexpress, but the difference is so minimal that you won't really care.

>I personally use a 10 dollar DIY one from aliexpress, but the difference is so minimal that you won't really care.
Links pls DIY sounds like fun, I know in the end its just a DAC after all

melb here but still gets super hot here in summer. don't remember it being an issue

SE looks better than the meme cream colour desu, but I got them on sale like a year ago without even listening to them from a local store online for about $230 I think. just washed the pads for the first time today and ordered a new headband pad earlier today funnily enough.

thinking about getting another pair at some point, maybe 600s most likely.

I use a Rotel RA-10. generally use speakers in the day and headphones later at night

DIY amp, not DAC. Entirely different things.
Either way, here's a link to both my Amp, and a cheap DAC if you're interested

Amp:
aliexpress.com/item/Single-Power-Supply-Portable-HIFI-Headphone-Amplifier-PCB-AMP-DIY-Kit-for-DA47-Earphone-Accessories-Electronic/32710062133.html

Here's another one that has more reviews if you want more opinions. Its the same as the other one, so order that one if you want to get one.
aliexpress.com/item/Single-Power-Supply-Portable-HIFI-Headphone-Amplifier-PCB-AMP-DIY-Kit-for-DA47-Earphone-Accessories-Electronic/32617561470.html?

Video on the Amp
youtube.com/watch?v=4b3R-JMspV0

DAC:
aliexpress.com/item/ZHILAI-H1-PCM2704-computer-sound-card-DAC-digital-input-3-5-USB-external-sound-card-audio/32589666753.html

DAC uses a PCM2704, which is a pretty good chip for non high-end shit.

>AKG 'honk' or metallic upper midrange, it also isn't as bright in the treble.
i thought it needed a while to burn in or atleast for my ears to get used to it, but nope. six months later, it still fucking hurts after an hour or so

>tfw my new headphones press too tightly against my glasses, making wearing my headphones for too long really hurt above my ears

>burn in
this is the worst meme ever conceived by audiophiles.

Return them and get a better headphone

Do you mind opening the Zhilai PCM2704 up? I tried asking in /csg/ if anybody owned one. I wanted to know if it has capacitors in it like in pic related.

Oops wrong pic.

I don't own it, just the Amp. Sorry. I worded it a bit weirdly.

yeah, yeah i know - but i didn't drop the possibility (however distant) as they were expensive and i didn't want to believe they were that bad out of the box

Looks like I'm going to be getting 4 pairs of K712 since it's fulfilled by Amazon

why

Better question is how?

incase they break

I happened across a pricing error, they probably meant to enter $370, they went on backorder instantly after I checked my bank account and grabbed 3 more pairs

Ill buy a pair off you if they actually get sent

Thanks, I just ordered 2. Hope they ship.

don't get your hopes up as looking now they're backordered and there was only 6 pairs left when I ordered mine

Cheers m8 I'll order the amp as well, looks like fun.

Daily reminder that 2.0 bookshelf speakers are objectively superior to headphones

>PCM2704
I have this and it's a good alternative if your onboard doesn't work. It powers the K702 even louder than onboard. O2+ODAC is better than both though.

>2.0
pls
>bookshelf speakers
you couldn't get more ambiguous than that

krix.com.au/equinox-mk3/

>posting a graph without title
user... what's that supposed to depict? i can draw squiggly lines on a graph too in paint.

"There is more useful information on the side of a tire than what’s found on most loudspeaker specification sheets"
-Floyd Toole

Holds true there once again.

It's about as useful as saying "bookshelf speaker". That is a quasi-anechoic frequency response measurement of a particular pair of "bookshelf loudspeakers".

stereophile.com/content/wilson-benesch-square-one-series-2-loudspeaker-measurements

these scams have been going on for a few days now,

Essential Foobar components?

waveform seekbar, abx comparator, wasapi output support

Can you explain how the scam works?

SoX resampler DSP, Columns UI

waveform, facets, wasapi, any good parametric EQ

Curious how it's a scam, the seller has 1000+ ratings and is nearly 5 stars.

Waveform seekbar and additional codec support if you are playing back more rare formats like DSD or .tta for example. The converter suite is quite useful too. I don't see value in a new resampler or parametric EQ. Resampler is good already(they just patched in a better one earlier this year) and parametric EQ, while extremely useful, is better done system wide with EQ APO or similar. Exclusive API output support is useful if you need it but it's definitely not essential for most.

I just bought one, hope it ships holy shit that price is insane.

>Budget
75 euros, willing to pay more if worth the dough
>Location
Estonia (small country in Europe)
>Source
Laptop or phone
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I'd settle for even quality and comfortness, but if I have to pick one, then it'll be sound quality.
>Sound signature
I'd go for a warm sound. Rather go for mids than treble.
>Past headphones
Pre-packaged Apple/Samsung earphones or 20€ electronic store discount IEMs. I had Sennheiser HD201's a long time ago and they were pretty good, but too bulky, and by today's standards, kinda unattractive aswell.

>these scams have been going on for a few days now,
Unless they're fakes don't see how it can be a scam if it's fulfilled by Amazon then its up to them to deliver it from their warehouse...

I actually think they fucked up and entered $37.00 when they meant to enter $370.00.

Can Amazon cancel the order?

Like this user said check your bank account if it cleared. It most likely means it won't cancel. I'm sad. I know I'm not gonna get one.

Damn I ordered when it went on backorder. What's the legal standing here, wouldn't it be false advertising if they don't ship them?

Wow they changed back the price. Congrats to those who've ordered. No confirmation my bank deducted payments yet.

>Budget
$300-400
>Location
Australia
>Source
PC -> Stereo integrated amp
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
probably open
>Comfort level
comfy
>Sound signature
tighter and more clarity than HD598s but still relaxed sounding i.e. non-fatiguing
>Past headphones
>HD449
>HD598

For 200USD?

>closed
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Closed Back Headphone amazon.com/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_IWbmybVSD0EVN

>open
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones - Black amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5XbmybF82A3PS

/thread
(fight me)

Wait for another HD6XX drop.

It's not sold by Amazon, it's fulfilled by Amazon. The seller can still cancel.

No.

It's still there, just on backorder now.
amazon.com/dp/B00DCXWXEI?m=A5ZRC4DPYV13E

just ordered mine also. I don't even care for them, just couldn't resist the deal

I doubt they will honor the deal, make sure to leave them a bad rating when they inevitably go "out of stock".

I have a Yamaha Pro 400 and I need to replace its pads.
How do I even look for that?
How do I figure it out?
Is there standard sizes?

I have a Yamaha Pro 400 and I need to replace its pads.
Are there standard sizes for the pads?