Are incandescents really that great? I've been buying LEDs thinking they were legit

Are incandescents really that great? I've been buying LEDs thinking they were legit.

What bulbs does Sup Forums use?

Other urls found in this thread:

1000bulbs.com/category/antique-light-bulbs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trump really pandered to the right crowd, Americans.

Yeah I didn't even ow incandescents were gone!

>"I hate something because liberals like it"

Good grief.

>Implying LED bulbs aren't worth it.

Make lightbulbs great again

The Chinese killed our lightbulbs. We need better lightbulb negotiators.

LED light bulbs suck compared to CFL because of their directionality. At least the ones I have, but their design seems common.

Nothing is better than some halogens. It's god's light.

Arc lamps, duh.

>What bulbs does Sup Forums use?
candles

>What bulbs does Sup Forums use?
CFL or LED. There is 0 reason to use incandescent lights for home lighting in 2016.

You can get like 1000lm led bulbs that run much cooler and more efficiently than a 1000w halogen.

Not my experience at all, but you need to get led bulbs with diffusers

We still have the option to buy them if we want

I use a mixture of incandescent, led, and cfls tbqf

Yes. They are less energy efficient and die quicker, but they don't buzz or flicker like leds while not being hazards like cfl.

>dimming sucks
>more prone to buzz or flicker
>colder colours

Incandescent bulbs create much more natural looking light than led

They're illegal in cucknada. Shit sucks.

Modern LEDs don't buzz or flicker (to the eye).

what makes it worse is that on conservative talk radio, department of energy spams literally 2 of the same commericals every break, shilling for LED over incandescent

"LUMENS"

fucking reeeeeeeeeeeee

>dimming sucks
What are you talking about? Dimming works fine.
>more prone to buzz or flicker
Impossible. CFLs work at the same frequency as incandescent and LEDs work on DC.
>colder colours
So what, limey? The world isn't yellow.
>Incandescent bulbs create much more natural looking light than led
No.

Yeah you retard, LED light consists of few wavelengths combined while the incandescent bulbs output a whole slew of wavelengths across the spectrum. Look up the fucking spectrograms online you fuckwit god damn misinformed fucking cunt why the fuck do you go on the internet and spread lies just google that shit

>Are incandescents really that great?
They don't flicker, they don't buzz and they have a naturally warm light.

Those are the 3 characteristics of ancient wolfram lightbulbs that modern ones have a hard time keeping up with.

For someone who reads a lot of books (like me), the ban on incandescent lightbulbs (EU) really hurt.
LED/CFL stress your eyes a lot.

But then again at 3% of efficiency you could heat your room with a few of these

>So what, limey? The world isn't yellow.
It actually is for most of the day. Vertical daylight is around 5500K.

Humanity used fire to light up the dark for most of it's existence. Flame is below 2000K. We grew to like warm colors.

Breitbart is full of idiots, but this doesn't mean liberals aren't retarded lately as well.

What the fuck is "natural light"? Light is light, it's the same photons everywhere

Fluorescent bulbs last pretty much forever

If they weren't made of cheap Chinese electrical parts that breakdown within the first 50K hours and demand the whole bulb and fully functional tube be replaced.

They produce a very broad and balanced spectrum of light

By only producing pinpoint peaks of RG&B that don't blend and give it an unnatural feel

Dimming is again down to cheap Chinese components, nearly all suffer from massive and visible flicker when you chop their input.
LEDs are a marginal improvement at quite a premium.

Buy better LED's

Cree makes ones that are literally indistinguishable from incans

Could you fuck off and stop nitpicking on dictionary definitions?
You know perfectly what he's talking about.

Incandescent bulb produces warm light.
So do natural sources of light like flame.

It also doesn't flicker at high frequency, like natural sources of light.

Neither do any of the other light sources.

That's not true.

Sup Forums is full of grumpy young men with a boner for technology older than they are, like CRTs and Unix. Of course they're going to hate modern lighting.

>please continue to fuck my eyes up big government, this is exactly what I need when i'm reading the most recent episode of "Jamal's adventures in Sweden"

How is it not true?

fluorescent lamps extinguish and reignite 100/120 times a second depending on your region

I buy expensive LED's because I have the option to pick exactly what shade of light I want and accurate lumen output. Pure white light 850-2000 lumen master race.

But im semi light snob. I have "high end" flashlights that put out more light than most bulbs in my house. My duty light for work has a max output of 1150 but it can only hold that for like 20 minutes run time i believe. I really only use that when I need to light up an entire room or hallway.

No, they don't, and incandescent does it the same way.

You commoners don't even understand kelvin temperature scale for color.
Average incandescent bulbs are "soft white" or 2700 kelvin.
You can get LED lighting at exactly the same 2700 kelvin if you wanted.

>Light is light, it's the same photons everywhere
c = vλ

>and incandescent does it the same way.
Incandescent filament has a thermal mass to it, while true, when the voltage reaches 0 during the reverse of the flow it starts to cool off it doesn't have time to cool off enough to produce any noticeable change of light intensity.

Unlike fluorescent which don't have any thermal mass to it and extinguish within 1-2ms and are dark for another 6ms before the voltage rises enough to trigger light emission

>Sup Forums is full of grumpy young men with a boner for technology older than they are, like CRTs and Unix. Of course they're going to hate modern lighting.
I wish it were.

Mom and I still have incandescent bulbs. It's a nice glow, and reminds me of my childhood. I know they're not good for the environment and all.

>So what, limey? The world isn't yellow.
Warmer lights are objectively superior in any way.

You want to back up those bullshit numbers?

Do you think there would be a market for hand made "artisinal" light bulbs like pic related?

I'm thinking there will be within a decade

There are, they're made with LEDs.

There are for Nixie Tubes.

have fun getting cooked in your own home.

LED comes in many different configurations, they are superior.

Which lightbulbs are the ones that gave off a warmer light ? I loved those, I hate LEDs because they're so blue

they don't make leds/fluorescent with 100 cri, but they do with incandescents.

its why colors look weird even with warm filters/bulbs/colors

I have modern leds and they all buzz (though I don't notice the flickers).

Kill yourself

Because they're cheap and there's no epoxy on the inductors.

I tend to stick with incandescent, even have a really warm bulb like this for reading.

They weren't cheap leds actually.

People like this are the cause for overlegislation.

point me at the leds/fluorescent that have good cri, not just good enough.

Oh, as a point of personal preference, I have somewhere between 5000-6000k leds for my areas as I prefer the whiter light apposed to the more yellow tinged, but i'm not delusional and think that they are good for cri.

Maybe not to you :^).

Forgot image

I fail to see the issue with preferring warm lighting.

Who tungsten here?

>tfw no tungsten reading lamp

Why the fuck do you care my nigga? Is your house an art studio?

That's the taste of fear, Giorno Giovanna.

incandescents and LEDs both have many unique advantages and uses each
if you use CFL you deserve cancer though

>handmade
no
1000bulbs.com/category/antique-light-bulbs/

Thus is the first time I heard someone complain about led light for reading. I have a leds all over the place and read a lot, I never get eystrain.

I don't do color work, a long time ago I came to the realization I can draw good enough that color doesn't add to much to the end product, plus I get work done 10 times faster b&w

All I need is to get sunlight if i ever use color, and I have that covered.

HOWEVER, and this is a fairly big one, for over the stove we use halogen and at the dining table we use incandescent for a reason. looking at meat under the color of light I prefer, or at least with these bulbs makes it look sickly at best.

I want a 100cri light, but nothing besides incandescent gets me there.

disliking led for reading is common, even if people don't necessarily understand the reasons. Try reading in warmer light, it's much more comfortable.

Comparing based on average led price.

What? People complain about it everywhere all the time.

You are the most pretentious nigga in the world. Breaking records senpai.

nah, food doesn't look appetizing when under shitty light, and if you are going to do something art based and color, you need perfect color or you will agonize over it for god damn ever, its part of the reason pro monitors are so expensive, that near 100% adobergb is nothing to sneeze at in terms of accuracy.

True autism.

There are some LED manufacturers like Yuji and Cree who are making 95cri chips, but they're almost impossible to find in a commercial product outside of broadcast lighting. Consumers seem to be happy with the 85cri stuff, unfortunately.

I really should get around to installing a ceiling fixture with a few of those dangling down.

Everyone likes their own thing..

You do realize 100% Adobe RGB is pretty much the standard for modern monitors, right? It's no longer some fancy that only expensive monitors provide.

And CRI is an absolutely retarded measure to rank lights. Disregarding the many criticisms, it's actually quite unnatural. You will get much more natural colors if you use LED white light, as it mimics closely daylight, i.e. what people used to draw/paint for thousands of years.

>Uses lambda but not nu

Are you fucked in the head m8

There are good and bad LED lights. a great way to tell if you have a good LED light or not is to see if it has a heatsink. If it doesn't have a heatsink it's probably shit.

Unfortunately for special snowflakes like you, the choice of lighting actually affects things in the real world. These Luddite retards are putting more strain on the electrical grid and wasting energy so a guy can pretend he lives in an art studio.

Wait people actually want warm toned light?

If I walk into a room and it has warm light, I sit in the dark. All my home lights are so cold they're borderline blue tint.

Good thing you don't do writing for a living, you can barely spell 'cat'.

>Good thing you don't do writing for a living
>do writing

my fellow fishman

what is it about nasty yellow lights in the middle of the night that is so nauseating? I really can't stand it
I don't really care during the day though, the sun makes them seem way less shit, especially in larger rooms

Movies are made at a 6500k bias lighting, nigger. Which is cold white.

Led lights are unhealthy for you. Same with cfl.

>100% Adobe RGB is pretty much the standard for modern monitors, right?
What fantasy world are you living in? Reality is still sRGB.

Lol

The thing is, most people only turn on the light when it is dark outside unless they live in a shitty house.

Holy shit, these fucking people.
>Obama light bulbs

They're more expensive up front, but they're better in the long term. Get a LED with a high lumen and a warm temperature and you won't even notice the fucking difference.

Please don't tell me americans can't differentiate LED and CFL..

If anything, they've been ubiquitous for so long that we've been accustomed to its light as "correct." Incandescents have a warmer glow, fluorescents have a greener tint and a flicker that some people can pick up on. (Though there are fluorscents that will put out the warmer "soft white" color, as well as daylight.) "White" LEDs have a bluish tint.

And fuckwits who congregate around Breitbart will oppose anything Obama has touched on. He should've pushed for vaccinations so they'll go anti-vax and die off.

I thought I was the only one. The only time I like anything besides crisp blue light is if I'm going to bed or taking a nap

Adobe RGB is a meme anyway, as it just gives more shades of saturated green and some blue. You can't really print them or use them in any modern media, so it's practically useless. Nonetheless, modern monitors (i.e. LED panels) can easily cover up to 150% of the sRGB gamut, which is even better than shitty Adobe RGB. Though I am sure there will be yet another regression as plebs will want something like WCG, etc.

>150% colors
Literally fucking retarded. you can't have more than 100% sRGB.

>What is CIE 1931?

Well you have halogens at least right? LEDs and fuocompacts are okay-ish but Let's be honest they're never as bright as incandescent lights.

Also since they double as heater in the winter, germany noticed that switching from incandescent to "eco-friendly" lights isn't that eco at all as people use more electricity for heating now.

You're completely wrong, most monitors do not have complete srgb coverage, let along argb.
What do you do that everyone you encounter is using Ultrasharps or flexviews?

Well i have to agree with them, they cost a lot more and last even less, they're complete garbage

I use halogen bulbs because I have some bad sensitivity to LED lighting

A mixture of PWM and the spectrum a lot of LED lights give out fuck me over.

I seem to be okay with no flicker low blue led light but this makes finding led bulbs expensive trial and error

I'd worry about cheaper ones burning my house down too

Different temperatures for different uses.

Have different types of lights in each room per requirement. Kitchen has daylight LEDs + chandelier and island lights that are 3500K everything dimmable. Why try to use one thing for everything when you can just use the right thing you need at the time?

Most modern monitors do have complete srgb coverage though.

They already are overwhelming anti-vax. Unfortunately this only means their kids get offed by whooping cough, they're already immune because their parents weren't retarded.