A vinyl record from more than 50 years ago sounds better than a digital sound today

>A vinyl record from more than 50 years ago sounds better than a digital sound today
what did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Who?

it sounds comfier fer shur

Bad transfer or overdone dynamic range compression.

If by better you mean more pleasant than yes.
In the fidelity department vinyl has nothing to offer compared to modern digital sound

Vinyl records are awesome to collect, they do sound good if they are clean and you have a decent needle and stereo

but all the people who try to say that digital audio sounds bad, especially old geezers with blown out ears like Neil Young, are full of shit

I would love to see Neil Young do a blindfold test

that old burned out fuck probably couldn't tell the difference between a vinyl record and realplayer audio

Damn right he couldn't. He says he hates digital because it alters the sound from what the artist originally intended. What a dumb fuck, the sound of a needle dragging against a warped price of vinyl adds a shotty crackly sound. Not to mention that Everytime a record is played, it's grooves get worn down, thereby changing the sound slightly.

The problem is how they're mixed, not fully the format.

I'm retarded, please rape my face

>analog sounds better than digital

Really? I hate 60s/70s production for the most part. Even if the music is good, it sounds really lifeless and tinny.

It's only towards the end of the decade with albums like Aja or Unknown Pleasures that things became listenable.

No source

Thanks for anecdotal post you dimwit

What format are albums made in? Why don't we just use that everywhere?

they mean the analogue meme

I like both, but new masters for both have tended to been ear bleeding loud. Bring back dynamics.

This is so goddamn true.

I have thousands of records (seriously, it's an addiction), some very old but most less than 15 years old. I collect them because the aesthetic experience of thumbing through the sleeves, pulling out the record, putting it on the player, carefully placing the needle on the edge, and hearing the imperfections as the music plays is intensely satisfying to me for reasons I will never be able to articulate. But fuck, just because I enjoy all of that does not mean for a second that it is a better format for recordings as measured by ability to reproduce sound perfectly as intended 100% of the time. A lossless audio file (or very high bitrate mp3) will win in double blinded listening tests nearly every time assuming the same mix is used.

Inverse velocity density.
My vinyl from 1980 sounds as if I'm in the recording studio.

>but all the people who try to say that digital audio sounds bad

But there is some truth to this

It can sound fucking terrible if it isnt mastered properly, in a way thats impossible with purely analog production methods

I think people like Young can hear the obvious distortion in shit like pic related. But because they dont understand whats actually causing it they just assume it must be a digital issue

how do you preserve the integrity ofblossless audio? like how do you prevent some random skiddie from going in and encoding a background layer to your music? I swear my files sound different every time I listen and some times its almost as if someone they were interweaved with other, speech base. tracks. Almost always with nigger gibberish, though so its wasy to forget. But its never easy to ignore.

another thing, ill record something in audacity and find that on the second pass the wave diagram on has changed slightly in different parts. I always save in flac now to avoid the possibility but really ita a nuisance to have that sort of thing on your mind over some butt fuck simple mp3s.

excuse grammar issue. android phone.

That's actually true for any analog vs digital media you retard. Digital can only be an approximation because it turns everything into 0s and 1s.

>I swear my files sound different every time I listen and some times its almost as if someone they were interweaved with other, speech base. tracks. Almost always with nigger gibberish, though so its wasy to forget. But its never easy to ignore.

Is that you Terry?

O-okay.

If I must be more clear, I'm meaning that it'll be like something a black kid on ths bus would do if he sees me talking to someone and wants to be funny. Or, incidentallym like something a black woman would do if she overheard my opinion on matters to do with how to respect a woman. Like, "mtch", "mmmmmmmmmm", "mm mm". Those kinds of things.

Trump is president.

perhaps

>tfw selling your record collection

feels good desu

people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

kill yourself retard

Either you are early schizo or its static/interference, or just shitty headphones

Look, if you grew up eating homemade garlic bread all your life and someone came up to you, with superior $50 garlic bread made by Gordon Ramsay, you'd still stay true to your roots. That's pretty much the case here.

A lot of people will claim that analog is better because it sounds more "organic". It's very hard to argue with that, one way or the other. Music is all about preference.

The bigger argument should be compression. Today's retarded generation is all about "dat hard bazz, bru". Look at the pic to see an example.

Music used to be more about dynamic range, and if you wanted it louder, you'd just turn the fucking volume knob up. These days, a lot of people just strap on a Sausage Fattener on their master, all because it sounds "heavier" despite their track looking like a fucking brick.

Digital can replicate any tone possible in 0.001hz increments. At no point is a scratched groove in PVC going to be magically capable of producing anything it can't replicate.

The false idea that analog mediums sound better comes from biased hardware experience. ie people using better speakers and amps in their snobby audiophile vunyl setup.

>implying OD holds analoge data

let's talk about this in 50 years when you try to restore your ipod and i'm just going to play the undestroyable records of my father.

>undestroyable

Mere playing lower its quality.

i'll just redownload any corrupted files while you listen to More Than A Feeling

who am i kidding i'll be dead in 50 years

So why aren't vinyls in mass production?

Which is cheaper to reproduce, a 3MB audio file or a vinyl record?

>new is always better

just crackling. i have vinyl records from the early 60s and some schellack discs from the 1910s, all playing just fine.

lack of facilities. i knew a few guys from smaller lables who never stopped releasing vinyl. since lps are kinda mainstream again, they have to wait months for their product because the demand is so high.

Chrome cassette tape master race reporting in.

>mfw i'm not the only one who is still buying cassette tapes from some shady underground labels releasing unlistenable powerelectronics and black metal recorded on some toilet

I don't get out enough to buy underground stuff. I mostly just buy stuff from thrift stores. Whether it be cassettes or home VHS recordings sold as blanks.

you can get all of this from webstores or ebay.

Keep samefagging

>he doesn't know that reality is digital

ok so you cant refute anything said

The only way to get decent sound out of vinyl is to strictly listen to EPs with just 1 track on each side. Then you get the dynamic range and clarity that actually matches a digital master.

LPs are compressed as fuck and you also need to gradually compensate for the slower speeds towards the middle of the disc. If you don't do that, the effect becomes audible about 10 minutes in. In short: you need to fucking rape your master to pull off an LP and I don't get how anyone could prefer the sound.