TV as a monitor???

I'm thinking about buying a 4K TV for cheap and using it as a monitor. How crazy/stupid is that?

Anyone done it? Would you recommend it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mXBs4sTbTOg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just get a 4k monitor

TVs are good if you play games with a controller.

I can't really recommend them hugely for general use some are fine others have big lag.

They're good for general media too**

But like I don't think I'd want to work on one and browse the internet all day etc.

It's stupid and bad.

Why?

Because TV's are meant to be viewed from a distance. The pixel density on TV's are much more sparse, meaning up close, it's going to look blurry.

Why do you think 4k monitors are so much more expensive in comparison to TV's of the same size?

>Just get a 4k monitor
Waaay too expensive :(

>But like I don't think I'd want to work on one and browse the internet all day etc.
Why not? Why would looking at the TV screen be any different from monitor screen?

>Because TV's are meant to be viewed from a distance. The pixel density on TV's are much more sparse, meaning up close, it's going to look blurry.
Even a 4K screen? Come on.I think it would be exact same as monitor.

>Come on.I think it would be exact same as monitor.

>Sup Forums meme
gtfo

depends entirely on the tv

we have a 24 inch 1080p tv that was a bedroom thing, as a tv it was ok, as a monitor, the fucking thing is blurry as all fuck and text is unreadable, can not figure out why.

as for asshole that's the point, a 40-50 inch tv would be the exact same pixel density as a 20-27 inch 1080p.

a large monitor is about productivity, not 'mah hardware level antialiasing'

It technically is, its just that the tolerance for lag on a tv is a bit different due to on a video only device the lag doesn't matter so some have ungodly high lag.

now back to op
If you are looking for a large 4k monitor, philips puts out a 40 inch 4k monitor, its probably the best the pc will get in terms of large format screens cor cheapish, at 800$ for an ips display.

TVs have high latency and low pixel density. they suck for any kind of gaming, especially if you're not sitting a couple meters away.

Yea, 55 inch 4k way better looking compared to a 55 inch 1080p.

>asshole that's the point, a 40-50 inch tv would be the exact same pixel density as a 20-27 inch 1080p.
>a large monitor is about productivity, not 'mah hardware level antialiasing'
This user gets it! This is precisely why I'm thinking about getting a TV because you can get a huge screen and you can actually run it at full 4K res without scaling. Sure, they make affordable 4K monitors but those all need scaling.

>If you are looking for a large 4k monitor, philips puts out a 40 inch 4k monitor, its probably the best the pc will get in terms of large format screens cor cheapish, at 800$ for an ips display.
do u know the model number user?

>retarded gaymer
GTFO! is that way.

>scaling
DPI scaling, or what?

If you're watching movies or something it really doesn't matter, other than that just get a fucking normal monitor. The bigger the screen, the more screen lag.

yeah, I've seen a lot of people do it here. get a 4k tv and split it into 4 sections, basically leaving you with 4x 1080p monitors without any bezels.

the only question is if you really need that much space because you could have a high dpi (4k) main screen + 1080p offscreen instead.

>DPI scaling, or what?
yeah, DPI scaling. I was looking at a 27" 4K display at BestBuy and if you set it to native res, it's fucking unreadable. you need bionoculars to read it from 2ft away.

All those

I use a philips bdm4065uc
40" 4k VA glossy
Couldnt be happier, cost me 500.

Will probably upgrade next year yo the curved flciker free version next year.

>the only question is if you really need that much space because you could have a high dpi (4k) main screen + 1080p offscreen instead.
Right... that's an option. But if I go that route, getting a 1440p screen is a much better deal. You pay less yet it doesn't need scaling at all and you get ~50% more vertical pixels which is a lot if you have lots of text (code) on the screen.

TVs aren't designed for that kind of use, and generally won't look as good as a monitor if you use it close up. Do whatever you want though it's your money, and if you get a nice enough tv it will probably look fine

Thats just a silly thoery that goes around.
As long as its 4:4:4 its just fine.
Problem is TVs dont have displayport and are usually glossy.

>Thats just a silly thoery that goes around.
It's not a theory.
I used a TV as my second monitor for 3 years, and it was absolutely horrible by comparison. I've learned my lesson. Some people need to learn the hard way.

I got a 43" HDTV working as my monitor. Thinking of putting them side by side to emulate that ultra wide home theater feel

So TV panels are made of shit and monitor panels of pixie dust?
My philips monitor uses the same panels as many TVs but its a monitor.
Where is your god now?

2 TVs*

the scaling really isn't a big deal anymore and 2160p is becoming the new standard.
if you just sit there and code all day it really doesn't matter but for everything else you'll want it to be 4k in 2 years.

I would wait for a couple of years until 4K becomes a thing.

But I do!

just make sure it has hdmi 2.0a so it can support hdr

>2 clocks
>5.1 audio on a desktop
>hdtv seems to be 1080p
>shitty mouse and keyboard

Depends on the options available. I had a Samsung 32" 5-6 years ago that had an option to calibrate it for PC. The colors were perfect, the screen was perfectly fit, and there was no blur no matter the resolution of the game I played.

It died a couple of months ago and since they only have new models now I got a different one from Samsung(which apparently has less options and ports, garbage speakers, etc..), and the color is terrible. Reds too strong, yellows leaning on orange, and the options to change it on the TV are greyed out when using it on the PC.

I have an old Samsung TV I wanted to use as a monitor, but for some reason HDMI as sent by my computer never worked. VGA would detect a signal (after about 30 seconds of waiting), but HDMI would just never work.

The only thing I use that for anyway is my PS3, and once I've finished playing the small pile of games I have (including some PS1 games), I'll probably trade it in for a dedicated monitor that will actually work.

It must be pretty comfy to watch anime on that.

The televisions aren't optimized for text. What panel are you looking at? The sceptre? It's shit for desktop use. I picked up the LG 27UD68 for $350 on sale. Also have the Samsung U28E590D that was $299. LG is an IPS, samsung TN.

youtu.be/mXBs4sTbTOg