C# is amazing

I recommend people who consider starting programming to take a look at C#

It's too often overlooked simply because it's by Microsoft

Most beginners can't decide where to start because they can go many routes:

>maybe I should learn something EASY, like Python

>or something that teaches me HOW COMPUTERS WORK, something with pointers like C or C++

>or something safe that is used in Enterprise so I can get a job ASAP, like JAVA

>or maybe something that's used to make smartphone apps or embedded or web apps cause that's the future!

The nice thing is, C# is all of these things

you can access pointer arithmetic on c# if you want, using unsafe mode

or you can be in safe managed mode and then it's like JAVA

it takes the best aspects of Java and C++ and the product is quite good

with Unity, you can make games for phones, web, pc, ... Blizzard's hugely popular Hearthstone was made in C#

or you can even make native aps for Android and iOS with Xamarin !

it's really not just for windows anymore... it's becoming truly cross platform like Java. You can make programs for Linux FFS!

I'm not saying it's perfect, I'm not paidi by Microsoft (I wish I was lol) - just wanted to share this with you cause I know many people are still searching for a language to start with

It will surprise you, I guarantee

The IDE is also fantastic (Visual Studio), state of the art, if you add the ReSharper plugin

don't dismiss it just because it's Microsoft, I think it's a power to be reckoned with

was made by the guy who made Turbo Pascal before, my favorite language when I was a kid

don't be like me and waste years with bad languages just because "Micro$oft suxx lol!" - just see it as a technical tool and it's brilliant as that

Other urls found in this thread:

jetbrains.com/rider/
youtu.be/2uv2uqZKQWM?t=16m8s
accord-framework.net/
csharpcourse.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ah cool...

Very nice thread :)
Well done friendo :) :)

you seem to be trying a little too hard but i do generally agree with you. c# is a great language. it is like a better java so i hope with microsoft making it more open it will get companies to switch away from java. i think intellij idea is better than visual studio though. which is why i still prefer to work with java for now and java really is cross platform better than c# for now. maybe in a couple of years when .net core has matured c# will be my new jav

>The IDE is also fantastic (Visual Studio)

>The IDE is also fantastic (Visual Studio), state of the art, if you add the ReSharper plugin
Before you add all those plugins it's weaker than JS hipster editors in many ways, except for its ridiculous levels of integration with everything Microsoft. Configure the project just right and those unfit to handle such power can fuck up the production db with a single drag & drop accident in their coding tool!

After you add them it doesn't really matter what it does because it'll freeze and crash before you even leave the debugging session open for too long.

I like the language, but the MS ecosystem is a rotten tumor, from the basic build tools to the editors to the system and database management.

>another shill thread

vs2017 has a lot of improvements to the overall stability of the ide but your other complaints are still very fucking valid.

>it'll freeze and crash before you even leave the debugging session open for too long.
that never happened to me desu

What if I just want a no-bullshit text editor environment?

You can actually do that with most text editors and have intellisense with omni-sharp. Personally I don't have a shit computer so visual studio just werks but I know on some computers it's terrible. C# really is the future of programming though especially with Microsoft making .NET core open source. You might as well start learning now or else the industry is gonna leave you behind, especially since people are starting to see how shit dynamic languages are so there's no need to learn Python or other languages like that if the industry is just going to switch back to static languages. Also fuck whoever thought dynamic languages were a good ideas in the first place, that shit makes it hard to debug stuff especially if your team loves using monkey patching. TLDR: you should at least see if C# is good before dismissing it because it's actually better than 90% of the languages out there and Python is a meme kek

Absolute Truth: The Post

>i think intellij idea is better than visual studio though. which is why i still prefer to work with java
what about this, jetbrains.com/rider/
fampai?

don't the IntelliJ folks make anotha IDE for C#

oh wow i didnt know about this. thanks will check it out

Also if you into moonrunes, qt3.14 girls will teach you Mobile Development.

youtu.be/2uv2uqZKQWM?t=16m8s

When will this finally get released?

Who knows.

There's also Xamarin Studio, rebranded Visual Studio for Mac. And Visual Studio Code has Intellisense support so you can use that in Linux.

How masochistic would it be to develop in the C# ecosystem using, let's say, a Mac or leenooks? genuinely curious

Python will still be the to go language for machine learning

So how was your first introduction to programming lesson, user?

>>or something safe that is used in Enterprise so I can get a job ASAP, like JAVA

Don't learn C# instead of Java, learn C# PLUS Java.
At work, our database servers are Red Hat and we use Java for our nightly data pulls. Our webservers are Windows running C# / ASP.NET.

Microsoft is giving Mac a first-class development environment with their Visual Studio for Mac.

Linux is the deployment server par excellence and they deploy to it. You can also code in Linux with Visual Studio Code.

Yes, both are similar enough. You can learn both with no problems and use them for different stuff.

>that smooth guy giving her his card at the end of her talk

Can anyone here add a bit more about Xamarin and of its realistic to work with? Does it work well?

I'm happy for Rajeev

Not the op,but it is, way better than bloated piece of built on Java, and VS COMMUNITY it is free.

IntelliJ > Visual Studio > Eclipse

Just saying

>intelij
It is bloated POS and slow tbqh.
Intelisense is faster and doesnt requiere any extra shitty plugin to make it work

This is so true, C# is the best. Clean and easy to use language, the best IDE of the market with VS and Resharper, and Jetbrains' Rider coming out soon. Dev speed is sick, productivity is sick. Go learn C#, its what C++ should have been (and they are not afraid to add new keywords to do stuff, unline the C++ maintainers)

Sad but true, as much as I love C#, Java is a "must know" language too

Japanese coding fonts are so cute. Why is C# even better now that Japanese are using it

Monodevelop is a decent IDE for C# on any platform (and especially mono) and Jetbrains' Rider is in alpha if you wanna give it a try (its basically Intellij + Resharper, and both are really good)

>Python will still be the to go language for machine learning
How do you know?

No interpreted language with dynamic typing can beat the safety and productivity of C# imo... Python feels like a toy

>Sad but true, as much as I love C#, Java is a "must know" language too
I make games with Unity for a living. I don't need Java. (^_^)

accord-framework.net/
>The Accord.NET Framework is a .NET machine learning framework combined with audio and image processing libraries completely written in C#. It is a complete framework for building production-grade computer vision, computer audition, signal processing and statistics applications even for commercial use.

In that case its ok, but if you wanna go into enterprise software development, it seems big companies always go for Java and / or C#

"Hello sir, I'm here for the See Hashtag Junior Developer job interview."

Wat do?

Because Julia is a meme

Interview him, make him build a sample application and hire him if he knows his stuff.

its the best language I've ever used

Call your destructor.

same fag

but he is not brown and smelling like curry and poop

I think he is actually there for the C++ junior dev job

ayy how the fuck do i compile on linux

Go download the free and open source C# compiler called Roslyn and then you can compile the free and open source .NET implementation .NET Core

thanks famalam; i figured VS Code would have a compiler built in

wtf i hate linux now

>mfw when I hear you say all this
>in my job one of teams uses C#
>I am part of the other team...

[spoiler]the PHP team[/spoiler]

>i figured VS Code would have a compiler built in
Why would it? It's an editor, not an IDE.

>tfw starting c# junior dev job on Monday
>I have never programmed in my life

What do?

how did you get hired?

>It is bloated POS and slow tbqh.

What? It's blazing fast m8.

I feel like they are trying a little to hard to make people believe the opposite. Like including a step by step debugger, etc

CommitSuicide (ref user)

Does anyone know any good C# courses for a begginer?

Well done rajeev

Visual Studio Code works pretty well with .NET core.

microsoft documentation, it has everything youll ever need.
csharp.net-tutorials com
wpf-tutorial com
ive used a little of these two at some point too.

>literally EVERYONE fell for the C# meme
How is this real, holy shit

It amazes me that people put so much time into bait nowadays.

If this is really cross platform, I my start learning programming with this language.

Started my job a few months ago as a C# developer, but I feel like I am not making full use of the language (I don't use tuples, pattern matching, lambda functions). Anyone have any good resources for learning how to git gud at the more advanced parts of C#?

>learning C# through book
>"ah, this is gonna be another babby language like Java"
>come to the chapter on ref and out
>wtf is ref
>wha... what? C# has pointers???
>WHAT
I feel powerful now, like a big man.

>PHP
my condolences, bro

studying with this book now:
csharpcourse.com/
freely available PDF
pretty good tbhq famalam

except it's not bait, I was genuinely happy to have "discovered" how good C# is and wanted to share

It kinda sounds like you just aren't familiar with functional programming.

Consider doing a side project in a functional language. I would suggest F# for a .NET person.

I'm not against C# myself but in the context of Sup Forums it's formated very "baity"

I second this, C# is great for people who want to learn programming the right way.

people tell me I'm like that when I get excited about something I sound like a shill. not the best character trait I reckon. but I just wanted others to consider C#

C# backend developer here. csharpcourse.com/ is bretty gud to start with

Oh My Lord what happened to Microsoft??
just read "using your favorite shell" in a CLI application.
Man I guess the pajeet at microsoft are doing a really good work. Someone has his cell number. so I can call him and tell he did a good job.

But AutoIt is simpler and more productive!

>the right way
>OOP with babby functional shit

What you be your advice for a beginner?

python

>built in java
>fast
Wat

>python
>useful for learning

I recently stated programming in c#. It's pretty good. Essentially can write basic malware on windows with it. Pure cool. Also really good for pulling system details in the background with no user interaction.

Except that pointers and ref are just for the program space in .NET virtual machine, and you cant do too much with that, give that .NET wont allow you to go out from VM and mess up with the OS, good to understand pointer ,though

Well done Pajeet, you hacka now

C first
Then understand Assembly (no need to master it, just understand it)
Then C++, or pick whatever stupid language you want (Java, C#, Python, etc), but just learn C first.

What does C has over the rest?

Ruby and Python are sound for a beginner. If you're looking to mobile development, then Java or Swift.

Makes you understand what the fuck you are even doing when programming, encourages coming up with efficient algorithms and forces you to pay attention instead of just throwing code at the compiler until it works.

fuck off C#

i'm tired of those little shit that force me to install .NET 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5... just to run a trivial app.

Managed codes are the worst.

Its more about developer productivity. Everything is easy in C#, even using a library. Linking against a library in C++ can be hell on earth.

I'm somewhat interested in picking up programming as a hobby but my biggest problem is I don't know what I would want to try and make or what I'd want to achieve.

This, im taking an intro programming module and its perfect for coding on my laptop in between lessons

C# and Winforms if you want to make easy desktop apps

> Implying you never had to install some of the "Visual C++ Redistributable" pacakges
> Implying non-managed codes don't have dependencies (libaries, dll, ...)

Fuck off already.

Well, you always can statically link the VC++ Runtime libraries :)