So is this any good or just a meme?

So is this any good or just a meme?

It's a bit overpriced, but yes, Lenovo and Dell business class laptops are high quality. Avoid all HP shit.

Everything is a meme my friend

It's fucking great

Not too noisy ?

>Lenovo
>high quality
With those shitty displays they put in their laptops and lack of decent GPU? Does not compute

lenovo has a 900 bucks laptop with a gtx 960 m

>900
>gtx 960 m
k

For a name brand laptop, it's not meme. It costs though. It's the type of thing you get work to buy you, or you get if your line of work requires you use your own laptop frequently (consultant, freelancer, etc). Most people who don't need it, aren't going to get it. Students get mommy and daddy to buy them macbooks, becuse everybody else has one. Neets get mommy and daddy to buy them gayming laptops, promising they'll use it to look for work.

does it come with free spyware? o wait its lenovo, of course it does

is this laptop good for gaming?

afaik, it runs GTA V at 60fps @1080p
shouldn't be a problem, most new games will run if you turn the settings down - older games will run at max

i'm waiting for the 7th gen refresh

Normally I'd say only a moron would use the install that came with a laptop. But lenovo had played bios/firmware tricks to reinstall their spyware on fresh installs before. Fuck that. You can't trust a Lenovo box.

when is the refresh coming?

no idea yet, but pretty soon.
the xps 13 already got it - but thats the low power version U variant and isn't really worth the dough. (xps 15 comes with the HK or HQ)

Windows 10 - ugh.

>gaming laptop
>powerful GPU in laptop
GET THE FUCK OUT.

If you want to game, buy a god damn desktop. You don't need a powerful GPU in a laptop and you never will, unless you absofuckinglutely need to do 3D modeling or Photoshop on the go.

if it didn't have dynamic brightness thing and coil whine I would have gotten this one. Going macbook air now.

Macbook air? Why the fuck are you buying an obsolete product?

My xps13 doesn't have these issues.

the battery is bad if you chose to have the 2.5 bay, if don't, the bigger battery is quite mediocre too.
That the only cons I find.
the xps 13 is a no-no in my list due to that horrid coil noise

should i wait for the refresh? i want to buy this in december and dont really have time to wait till next year.

meant for
>waaaah people have needs different from mine
some people just want a laptop for work, school, college that they can use for mainly productivity and maybe a spot of gaming at the end of the day (atleast that's my use case).
and the xps lines fulfills this need- it's well built, solid performance, glorious display, can have a touchscreen, keyboard & touchpad are top notch and finally it's somewhat upgradeable and modular for it's class.

5000 series is overpriced and underpowered.
Get a 3000 for portability or a 7000 for an actual mobile workstation.

>Avoid all HP shit
Only the consumer laptops, the old Elitebooks are top tier, great keyboard, room for two drives and more ram

>and maybe a spot of gaming at the end of the day (atleast that's my use case).
Then get a laptop and a desktop for the same price.

i think so
i'd probably get one if i had money

All laptops will come with Windows, but it doesn't matter because you'll install linux on it anyway

you should wait.
it's most likely coming this year, before christmas.
i'm assuming (and hoping) this as the xps 13 got two refreshes, one being the gold - which had better specs and then the rose gold which comes with 7th gen

>end of the day means i'm at home
i spend most nights at hotels because my job requires travel

You're the edge case, bro.
Most people do spend plenty of time at home.

Nevertheless, I would rather you have a laptop with external graphics. There's no reason for a slowed down, hot GPU to ruin your laptop and drain your battery. Try to get a normal laptop with external graphics which you can connect at your hotel room.

you have a point, my usage isn't exactly standard use.
but my point still stands- a common use case would be people who might not want the hassle of managing two machines and would prefer one machine to do it all (or just want a high end laptop instead of a midrange desktop and laptop)

enjoy your latex palm rest

put a skin on it

good quality

3 out of 4 of my usb ports are broken, as in physically

I need something for casual media and office use. Dell doesn't seem to have quality control so it is off the lisr for me.

Buy the regular new macbook (non pro) then. The Air is obsolete and won't be manufactured anymore.

as a 4 year user (9hrs a day) of a low end dell with various peripherals, i'm calling bullshit

for a windows laptop, dell has the best quality control but apple is still better although not as practical

It doesn't make a sound when I use it, just don't put it on any sheets and fuck up the fans.

Apple is still selling 13" air

Regular macbook's keyboard makes me want to kill myself. It is definitely something that needs getting used to + single port...

Theres only a couple of things i'm not so keen on with the XPS. Apparently the webcam is trash, has an awful mic. And the speakers are bad, even by laptop standards.

>drain your battery
>what is optimus

>what is optimus
It's fucking shit unless you use Spyware, The OS™.

basically a Dell version of a macbook.
without the apple hype but better specs

lol that's not how it works anymore autist

Sup dawg, just got mine (xps 15 9550, fhd) and I fucking love it. TouchPad is the best I've ever used, and the screen is beautiful. With the fans on 100% it's obviously a little loud, but I've yet to experience it on it other times than when flashing mobo drivers n shit. My only problem with it, is the keyboard. Isn't the greatest, but I'm getting used to it.

Webcam and mic means fuckall unless you actually need that shit. Same somewhat goes for speakers, but they aren't awful they're fine

>if it didn't have dynamic brightness thing and coil whine I would have gotten this one. Going macbook air now.

>buying known shit hardware because of hearsay, and not actually reviews.

Never go full retard son.

What's the point of better specs if it runs a useless operating system? Its like doing a wheel change on a car with no engine.

>Laptop: Mac
>Desktop: Windows or Linux

I thought we all knew this? Why on earth would someone buy a Windows laptop for personal use?

f*ck windows XD

Its a pajeet pile of fuck which is literally only useful for video games. The only operating systems which should exist are GNU/Linux and MacOS.

it's good. We had a thread about this and it seems there's actually a decent chance you can get more bang for your back with the stupid ass Razer blade stealth. Check it out. Bezles look bad but it seems it performs decently and the battery life isn't shit. With some of the spare money you can buy a sticker to cover the retarded logo.

you try way too hard to fit in here

You must be new here.

no, but you are most definitely a tool

>decent GPU

virgin gamer detected

He's right though.

Or a person who needs the gpu power for literally any 3d work, of any other gpu heavy application on the go? Kill yoself my man

>3D work in Windows

Anyone know good black friday deals for this

Here's a deal: don't buy it, and you get to keep your money!

>hassle of managing two machines

Wat??? In what alternate universe are multiple machines not an ergonomic and convenience advantage?

but then i dont have the laptop either

>shit screen
>4k ips is shit

Checked those digits

>personal use
Why on earth would anyone buy a laptop for personal use? Are you underaged?

>Most people do spend plenty of time at home.
So they get a desktop

The vast majority you mean? Mac for designers is a long dead meme

I have it. It's not worth it.

Why are we still supporting laptops with inferior gaymen aspect ratios?

Cause nothing else exists in acceptable resolution

looks good. I was undecided between that one and the asus N552VW which have similar harder for a considerably lower price.. then I saw this pic. Single fan with really long heatpipe and the ssd partially underneath it. Doesn't look like something very well thought.

No he isn't. He is retarded if he think Windows is only used for gaming.

besides macbook they at least have 16:10 but I cant use one of those ever

Didn't they switch back to 16:10 this gen? Thinkpad might actually switch to 16:10 in two month with the retro model

No they've always been 16:10

Oops i meant didn't they switch over to 16:9 this gen. Guess not

If you're Canadian, it seems to be the best bang for your buck BY FAR. I don't see how the Stealth is a better deal in any way (dell i7 is $1499)

I can't find anything else thats even similar. Remember that the Kaby Lake GPU is 30% faster than the corresponding Sky Lake GPU (Intel HD 5xx vs 6xx)

The Razer Blade makes some stupid choices too -- the QHD resolution for a 12.5" screen is absolutely moronic. So is the touch screen by default.

If they had a 1920x1080 version without a touch screen I bet it'd be a fair bit cheaper. There's also a $300 difference between 128GB storage and 256GB.

I'd honestly prefer thicker laptops just to support default upgradeable 2.5" ssd bay. We already have 1TB ssds out and you are stuck paying a retarded amount for 256gb fuck that.

>just a meme
>just a meme!
>JUST A MEME

LAD! MEMES ARE THE BASIS OF LIFE ITS-SELF

>Linux works out of the box on 16.10

didn't they just release 4.8.8?

Is the razer screen even ips?

no its igzo

well, then where is your problem?
it can run linux just fine. there is even a dev version which comes with ubuntu.
but Imho OSX is more useless than Windows.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a positive comment or not.

why didn't they add a numpad on the 15" model? there is a lot of wasted space like this

This is tru.

because it is more symmetric without a numpad. you just sit in the center of the screen, what you don't do when your laptop has a numpad.

Laptops are for plebs, build a desktop PC.

Yeah but a numpad has a lot of business application

> Business Class
> XPS

Pick one.

Business Class Dells are the Latitude and Precision. Yes, the XPS is listed in the "For Business" tab, but it's not business class.

well I am using a laptop with a numpad right now. It's not like I don't "feel" the asymmetry but it's pretty much irrelevant and doesn't impact usability in a noticeable way.

This is true

what do you mean with business application?

That's cause you ram your fat ham fists at the ports when you plug shit in you fat cunt

>I've physically broken 3 USB ports

Holy shit. You're the kind of person who magically breaks and loses everything. You are what's holding back technology because people have to consider retarded low-dexterity neanderthals like you in their products. I've never broken a single ANYTHING on any piece of electronics.

>dedicated GPU
>In a business laptop
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Does it really still have coil whine? I remember reading about that issue when I was thinking about getting a Haswell one in 2014, but they've redesigned the whole thing since then.

xps 15 is better, xps 13 is tiny netbook size for girls

because its the size of a 13" laptop