What is wrong with the DivX and XviD codecs? why arent they used anymore for movies and anime?

what is wrong with the DivX and XviD codecs? why arent they used anymore for movies and anime?

ive been looking into video codecs, and id like to know more beyond reading Wikipedia pages on the once-popular codecs. can anyone redpill me on divx/xvid?

Apparently plain old MPEG-4 (which DivX and Xvid are implementations of) was made obsolete by H.264 (i.e. MPEG-4 AVC).

Good point. We should use old and obsolete technology more often.

>they predicted steering wheel controllers

What's wrong with Pentium 2? Why aren't they used anymore for desktops and laptops?

I've been looking into CPUs, and I'd like to know more beyond reading the Wikipedia pages on the once-popular processors. Can anyone redpill me on Pentium 2?

The caption is a hoax, you can tell from the shitty writing. It's actually a submarine exhibit at the smithsonian.

Before flash there was Xvid and Divx. Divx is the original but costs money, so an open source version was created: Xvid. Basically it's the same as far as I know.
Then flash player continuely replaced xvid, which now becomes obsolete due to HTML5.

Because even back when most movies on streaming sites were xvid/divx, most scene releases were mkv.

These web browser plugins were cool, they cached the movies as regular files visible to the user so that you could easily open them in VLC.

that's for steering the space ship

>Can anyone redpill me on Pentium 2?
Sure: It's bad and slow.

DivX used to be the best around for video compression and quality but it was a licensed codec.
Xvid was developed to be a free alternative, same thing no licensing.

Then H.264 (AVC Advanced video codec) came out with even better compression for quality. x264 is a free and popular software implementation of H.264 spec used to encode almost every video today.

H.264 (HEVC High efficiency video codec) will soon replace the previous with even more compression for the same quality as well as a tons of new features. x265 already has releases but it's in early stages.

Too bad we didn't know that back in 1997-1999 but instead used them like the idiots we were.

>flash player replaced xvid
Flash player was used to embed videos into websites, but still required the use of a codec.
Flash and HTML5 video tags use the same video codecs available on the host machine. So they are irreverent when discussing codecs.

>Most scene releases were MKV.
MKV is a container, same as MP4. MKV is used because unlike most containers that require specific audio and video formats, MKV supports virtually every combination known of audio, video, chapters, and subtitle formats. It's till a popular container file today.
Containers are not the same as codecs.

Indeed.

I don't really care though, I'm just bored right now.

>tfw i'm posting from a Pentium II right now

How are the pages loading? I've tried posting from computers of that age and this website would not load correctly.

I still use Xvid and H.264 when I encode films from my dvd collection. I use Fairuse wizard instead of handbrake but that's a personal choice. I use avi as the container for max playability. Now films/shows I grab from torrent I don't really care about codec/container long as the quality is dvd or better. Serviio/WDTV Live can play pretty much anything so no worries on that end.

If you do that thing where you basically turn Win2k into XP and install the latest stuff I imagine they load fine, if slowly.

The pages themselves load fine (browser is latest stable K-Meleon. It has a "kill flash" button so you can get rid of any hogging embedded flash. The real trouble though is JavaScript (the captcha loads for quite a while, even the legacy one) and embedded HTML5 video which cannot be killed by the "kill flash" button. I guess it would be perfectly fine for the web from even a decade ago.

I guess that was more of a software problem (OS/browser), the hardware should be fine if quite a bit slow to munch heavy stuff like JS and embedded video.

The legacy one is actually worse than the new captcha for some reason.

It takes just as long to load on a PII, but once you enter the required text it's done instantly. The click-a-mole captcha is still slow after loading due to transitions and then processing the result.

H.264 ;)

Another user here.

Interesting that you would mention "the web from even a decade ago" because I was using K-Meleon on a Pentium II-400 as a desktop Sup Forums browser as recently as September 2006, when I moved residences and stopped using that desktop. Nice to hear that it's still viable 10 years later, thanks.

You had a 400MHz CPU with 100MHz FSB/memory, while his is just a 266MHz CPU with 66MHz FSB/memory, making it about only half as powerful as yours in average.

I didn't even load his image before posting earlier, so I didn't know.

Even better, considering the current K-meleon probably has higher requirements and vanilla Sup Forums's gotten a little more sophisticated since then.