/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News
Asus Zenfone 3 review
gsmarena.com/asus_zefone_3_ze552kl-review-1521.php

LG V30 won't have a secondary display, to be replaced with something even better?
gsmarena.com/lg_v30_wont_have_a_secondary_display_to_be_replaced_with_something_even_better-news-21728.php

Huawei silently makes the Mate 9 Lite official
gsmarena.com/huawei_silently_makes_the_mate_9_lite_official-news-21715.php

Huawei P10 or P10 Plus reportedly spotted in another image
gsmarena.com/huawei_p10_or_p10_plus_reportedly_spotted_in_another_image-news-21714.php

Nokia smartphones are coming in 2017, the company confirms
gsmarena.com/nokia_smartphones_are_coming_in_2017_the_company_confirms-news-21713.php

LeEco and Coolpad to release new Cool smartphone - Snapdragon 821 SoC and 6GB RAM
gsmarena.com/leeco_and_coolpad_are_back_with_new_cool_smartphone__snapdragon_821_soc_55inch_display_6gb_ram-news-21711.php

Alleged image of Xiaomi Mi Mix Nano about screen shows its specs
gsmarena.com/alleged_image_of_xiaomi_mi_mix_nano_about_screen_shows_its_specs-news-21699.php

prev.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/g4/themes-apps/root-v10-camera-ported-to-g4-t3366878
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi5s
m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_471491.html?wid=21
banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-5s-Mi5s-5_15-inch-Fingerprint-3GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-821-Quad-Core-4G-Smartphone-p-1091260.html
aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi5s-Mi-5S-3GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-821-Quad-Core-5/342812_32740701953.html
aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi5s-Mi-5S-3GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-821-5-15-1920x1080/311331_32740701280.html
willmyphonework.net
aliexpress.com/item/For-Xiaomi-Mi5-LOVE-MEI-Powerful-Waterproof-Shockproof-Dirtproof-Aluminum-Cases-Metal-Cover-for-Xiaomi-mi/32644250610.html
xiaomi.eu/community/threads/all-in-one-guide-compilation-on-how-to-flash-xiaomi-eu-roms-on-your-mi5s.36132/#post-333648
en.miui.com/thread-345728-1-1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lads, what is the best Sup Forums app?

Xiaomi Mi5 or Mi5s? Is Mi5s worth it?

ZUK Z2

Mi max 64gb or HongMi note 4 64gb? uk with 3 network

OP3(T) vs Nexus 6p. I can't decide what to get. 6p is stock (coming from Nexus 6, which I love), but the OP3(T) runs close near stock and has this year's specs. Thoughts?

Also, my phone is broke. Will the OP3(T) ship to me this week?

Thoughts on this phone?

Repost of
Why isn't Nexus 5X getting cheaper?

It's getting more expensive, why is this happening to me and who can I blame?

OP3T. The 6P isn't shit though but with the OP3T you'll get modern specs at the same price or even cheaper, depending on where you live.

The OP3T won't be in stock in a week though, and shipping may take up to 3 weeks.

I would get a 5x but the 2gb ram is painful to think about. Does that not bother you?

>I would get a 5x but the 2gb ram is painful to think about. Does that not bother you?
Why would I need more?

From what I've read the 2gb sometimes gets slowed down when multitasking. For instance, the only time this would worry me is when I'm driving and streaming music and using my GPS, which I do a lot. It may be frustrating to have stutters at those times. That's what worries me at least. If it wasn't for the 2gb I would buy a 5x right now.

Which phones are (or will be) daydream ready?

imagine caring about phones

How is CM14.1 so far? Daily driver yet?

Does anybody know if FiLMiC Pro works with the LG G5?

It's my understanding that the default camera app does not have manual control for video (unlike the LG V20), but can I force manual control in another app?

It was brought to my attention that you can use this .apk forum.xda-developers.com/g4/themes-apps/root-v10-camera-ported-to-g4-t3366878

I need a hundred~ dollar android. I'm in the US and with AT&T. I was looking at the second gen moto E since it recently got marshmallow and has a smaller display.

Any recommendations to top this? I really only use my phone for web browsing, calls, SMS and music, though I prefer a little room for customization (basic icon packs, shit like that). I hate large display phones and don't use any of their features for the most part.

Clover.

OP3T.

There are still Nexus 5 users who are purchasing it to retain its markup. Otherwise, the price has dropped but only marginally.

Daily driver material, yes. Very minor bugs.

>Purchased an OPO in 2014
>Went on a ROM frenzy for almost two years thanks to OPO's robust development community
>Settled with Sultan's work because it overextended the life of my phone
>CM14 support, development and ROM continuity incoming
>June 2017 will mark three years and no reason to upgrade from this phone

Pros:
>Great build; dropped it a few times without a case and there's no physical damage
>64GB standard storage, 3GB standard RAM - more than enough
>Probably has one of the best ROM development teams in the smartphone world

Cons:
>3000 mAh battery, I can feel the affects but only marginally thanks to my ROM
>No mSD
>No removable battery
>Camera is decent, terrible in low light (Sultan's CM13 fixes this but only marginally)

Looking for a ~$200 phone.
Needs to be on verizon,rootable and xpose framework needs to be usable

>The OP3T won't be in stock in a week though, and shipping may take up to 3 weeks.
Even if I'm at midnight trying to be one of the first to get it?

Quick, Axon 7 or Mi5s?

>$100
>Moto E second gen
It was $10 last year around this time. You can probably aim higher for that much these days.

FM tuner is nice, no camera flash/flashlight is not nice. And it's a lot heavier and thicker than other phones in this class.

Forgot to mention, the Mi5s is $330 and the Axon 7 is $400.

Mi5s.

Moto G4.

Blu R1 HD. yes it's a chinese botnet who cares. they know everything about you already anyway.

Well, you might be lucky then. You should definitely go for it.

I plan on finally replacing my old Galaxy 3S and I am planning to invest 300-400€ for a new phone.

Currently im looking at the One Plus 3 & One Plus 3T but I keep on reading that the devs are a little shit and keep on telling little lies that the people at XDA apparently do not like.

What other phones in that price range are recommendable? Or should I just fuck the haters and get the OP3 or OP3T?

Thanks. How long does the Mi5s usually take to ship to France?

I'm currently on a nexus 4, on its last legs.

I can get a new oneplus3T or a refurbished iPhone 6S for virtually the same price. I want something I can use comfortably for a couple of years, confident that it will get updated and meet my needs.

Which should I get? Or is there anything else I should look at?

Yeah OP3T is your safest bet.

Depends on the shop. you should order from TopOne on aliexpress or Honorbuy/Flosmall as they have EU shipping protection. if you don't pay for DHL or EMS it can take weeks.

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi5s

I have to order from here for the sale.
m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_471491.html?wid=21

I'm in the UK BTW. I would probably go on 3 or giffgaff.

Shit, it's actually $300? That's great.

?? it's more expensive than the other shops.

$299.99
banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-5s-Mi5s-5_15-inch-Fingerprint-3GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-821-Quad-Core-4G-Smartphone-p-1091260.html

You'll get hit with customs+taxes too.

Yeah, I figured I'd click on your link to double-check, guess that store is just a scam. Thanks a bunch, user.

iPhone will get more updates but that's irrelevant. OP3T is better if you like android.

One more question, it will work with my Orange contract, right?

I still it's a better idea to go with topone or HKG if you wanna avoid customs.

aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi5s-Mi-5S-3GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-821-Quad-Core-5/342812_32740701953.html

aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi5s-Mi-5S-3GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-821-5-15-1920x1080/311331_32740701280.html

You have to pick "Sellers shipping method" for HKG and DHL for topone.

check willmyphonework.net I think it should.

I can ship to a US PO box, if that makes customs any easier.

Just check the bands the OP3 supports on their website then look at the bands your provider uses

Aren't you in France? kek. anyway yeah US has no customs up to $800 so you can ship it quickly.

I like the fact that an android is basically a pocket computer but the sensible me thinks an iPhone will be usable a lot longer or have resale value in a year. I'll be stuck with ROMs and not being able to use android pay on the oneplus.

I'm in France but I have a US address that ships here fast. Who's the best seller in that case?

>android pay
People actually use this..?

The "sensible you" is a fucking retard, or at least uninformed. Also, all smartphones are pocket computers, that's the point.

There are a ton of offers and discounts if you do.

Explain

>an iPhone will be usable a lot longer
iOS updates are made to slowly grind out out-of date hardware, just like Nvidia drivers.
>resale value
lol

Oh. in that case the cheapest you can find DHL/EMS/expedited shipping. otherwise free shipping takes a really long time. banggood is alright.

You're guaranteed updates for 5 years from the last date of sale?

Seconding this request

So if I just bought this one, would I be better off shipping to the US or France? It says 7-20 days on the free shipping to France, do they mean 7, 20, or 4?

Germanon bought some time ago and shilled it here, said he liked it after flashing RR.

What's your point?

lel 20 is much more likely. shipping from China is a pain. see /csg/, this shit can take ages. that's why DHL from topone or HKG is better, it arrives fast and you avoid customs.

Android guarantee nothing except for nexus/pixel, and then there's only 2 years from the date of release.

Okay, so DHL direct to France from HKG.
Any reason to get one of the bundles? Is there any sort of drop-proof case for this phone?

So?

So the iPhone is a better long term purchase.

with HKG you must use "Seller's Shipping Method" to avoid taxes, not DHL sorry, DHL is for topone so be careful. bundle saves you time waiting for accessories later.

And how are you reaching that conclusion? Like I said, the updates gimp the device.

Seller's shipping method is unavailable right now, so I guess I'll go with the Top One with DHL. Is the Nillkin hard case any good?

Yeah Nillkin is HQ and great.

aliexpress.com/item/For-Xiaomi-Mi5-LOVE-MEI-Powerful-Waterproof-Shockproof-Dirtproof-Aluminum-Cases-Metal-Cover-for-Xiaomi-mi/32644250610.html
How are these? Do they actually protect against shit? How hueg are they?

Mm no idea but looks bulky AF. what's the purpose of buying a slim phone if you put a huge ass case on it m8?

I don't really care about the slim factor, just phone quality. Guess I'll go for the bundle with the Nillkin case. Thanks for all your help, user.

You can refuse updates as they are offered if any performance issues are not worth the new functionality and support. Better that than not even being offered the support.

If the phone works perfectly to begin with, why would an extra 2-3 years of updates matter? And why would that add resale value?

Sure thing. don't forget to unlock the bootloader and flash xiaomi.eu rom on it when you get it(if you don't like the chinese rom).

Shit I don't know how to do either of those things. Is there a guide? Where can I get the ROM?

What is the best smartphone and why is it the LG G3

You can stay on chinese rom if you want, iirc mi5s doesn't have global rom with more languages. xiaomi.eu makes a community rom that is much better without all the bloat.

see guide here:
xiaomi.eu/community/threads/all-in-one-guide-compilation-on-how-to-flash-xiaomi-eu-roms-on-your-mi5s.36132/#post-333648

That's something you need to do with most Xiaomi phones.

Extended manufacturer support lengthens the usable lifetime of the device and helps it retain its perceived/real value to potential buyers. That doesn't seem too complicated.

Clearly don't own an iPhone cause that dumb shit will pop up every two seconds saying update and you press cancel only to have it tell you to update again

Great, looks like I'm all set. Thanks again, I can't wait to have a phone that doesn't crash.

Actually I do, and I've deferred updates for weeks before.

Did you already download the damn thing?

They always come back whether its weeks or days or minutes. There annoying and force normies (everyone who owns an iPhone) to update. Everyone of my friends who have updated to iOS 10 including me knows it runs like garbage on them

On what?

The 5s I use is running it with zero problems or performance issues. It's not even my main phone, it's the one I use for work, but I actually put off downloading 10.0 for about 2 weeks with no nags after the first notice.

If you're so sure that iPhones are the best, why are you even here asking?

>It's not even my main phone

I'm a different user than whoever is upthread

lol, so what? Note 3 for me, free iPhone 5s with unlimited data through work, I'm ok with that.

So you just sort of jumped in to shill?

If its not your main phone you cannot comment on performance issues. You are not using it for hours on end downloading, surfing, whatever. Literally go shill anywhere but here

>unapproved facts are unwelcome
>S H I L L
Yeah, I love this board less than you guys do

How is the Iuni i1? I know that the society closed but it costs nothing.

You actively dislike this board

>literally who?
It's pure shit.

how brainwashed are you if you thinks it needs more than 512 MB to do that?
1gb of ram is enough for many use cases (aka you are not a retarded phone gamer) and 2gb is perfect

I wouldn't say its brainwashing as much as considering how ram helps with multitasking, and 2gb is not very much. Granted, its probably getting cpu bound from the 808, but either way.

android is literally the worst system in the world, just like chrome it eats all the ram it can get its hands on
therefore more wam = better experience

Any way to disable the weather thing in MIUI 8? Don't know who designed this but it completely ruins the aesthetics

System app. you can't.

flashing cm would be the fastest way to get rid of it 2bh

That's bad news, my backup's in MIUI only. It would've been fine if they had left it like it was in MIUI 7 but they just had to go and make the notification color dependent on the weather regardless of what the theme is. Who the fuck thought this was ok

So is there a way for me to unlock an RNP3 bootloader without emailing China about it? I'm looking to eventually flash cm onto it but don't think I know exactly what I'm doing yet. Bit new to android if it wasn't obvious.

There is unofficial way google it

en.miui.com/thread-345728-1-1.html

Finally got my Axon 7 in the mail today, hoping to replace my iPhone 6 with it.

Pros:
-great screen
-well built
-seems very quick

Cons:
-Android (mostly on me
though since I haven't used it since froyo)

Looking for a phone to replace my iphone 6

basically just for facebook and youtube

is p9 lite solid choice for this?

Review time, I just bought a Moto G4 Play for 100 freedom dollars and it's much better than the G4 and G4 Plus (yes I own both, G4 was a gift, the other I got off eBay but found it too big to use comfortably with one hand).

It has a shittier snapdragon and a quadcore but doesn't overheat or stutter on games or while watching 1080p anime mkv on mx player pro, performance on games doesn't differ between it and the 3GB ram G4+ either (tested dead space, san andreas, asphalt 8, modern combat 4 and dead trigger at max settings with no lag).

The phone is a bit smaller (5'' 720p IPS LCD 294 ppi) but it doesn't look any different from the G4, just size and resolution.

The camera quality is the same as the G4 even though it's 8 megapixels, however it's still only okay, I suggest a sony phone if you want the best selfies and stuff.

Battery isn't that much smaller, 2800 mAh vs 3000 mAh, supports quick/turbo charge, a nice feature since my G4+ came with the charger, goes from 0 to 100 in an hour and half, SoT averages a good 6 hours, more than the G4+ (most likely because of the smaller resolution).

2 GB ram, just enough for daily use and fair for its price, internal storage is 16 GB that goes up to 256 GB with SD card (sim+SD or two sims).

Supports just about every band since it's sold everywhere, every model is dual sim if you care about that.

Android is stock marshmallow soon to be nougat, only foreign app is a single moto app (no idea what it does), my only complaint (not really a complaint but it may be troublesome for other people) is that it apparently doesn't have a stock gallery/music/video player/launcher besides google apps, like I said not a problem since I use poweramp, MX, nova and leafpic.

Internet reviews and forums also mention it's the best of the G4 family because it doesn't overheat or has screen burn-in issues due to being manufactured later.

8/10 I'd definitely recommend if you want something small, good and cheap but don't want or can't import.

Is leaving your phone charging overnight bad for the battery?

>Huawei Mate 9 Masterrace reportin' in