Retro thread?

Retro thread?

Just got this for $40. Trying to find some media for it on Ebay now, since it sadly didn't come with any. Floppy drive eject works though...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v9kTVZiJ3Uc
youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE
rescuemyclassicmac.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=hIrs_AGBIww
youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Where did you get it?
Fucking craigslist? Ebay?

it's so fucking kawaii holy shit

Kijiji, Canadian Craigslist.

Shit. I had a Plus too when I was a kid. Played a tonne of Risk and SimCity on it. Also remember printing off those long banners on a dot matrix printer.

Also,

> Hello computer!

youtube.com/watch?v=v9kTVZiJ3Uc

That's the very first thing my GF thought of when she saw it.

I completely forgot it was the one from that movie.

Just use the keyboard...

>cutting out the best parts

Sorry if it's a bad video. I'm on mobile right now and can't really watch the video at the moment. Just grabbed the first one off google without watching it.

Recently my CRT monitor started to emit some sparkling noises from the back. They vary in loudness and in how frequent they occur (are mostly quite quiet, but noticeable as one sits in front of it). It this something to be genuinely worried about? Is this a known symptom of some components dying?

Probably not good.

I've never had it happen on any CRT's i own, but it doesn't sound like a particularly good thing.

it's kinda ok if it is just when you turn it on but definitely not ok if it's going on all the time. Open it up and blow the dust out (dont actually touch anything inside unless you want to shoot across the room)

Sounds like high-voltage sparking at either the anode cap or the cathode neck at the back. (AKA the "touch-it-and-you're-dead" areas). I had this happen with an old CRT TV that was kept in a room with high moisture and large temperature fluctuations that go from freezing to hot. The thing completely refused to turn on after awhile.

It's just like the crackling/popping sounds which are heard when a CRT display is turned off. Just now quiet single pops happen sometimes as it is working.

that's pretty vaporwave

youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

Great find.

I recommend getting a newer Mac that has Ethernet/USB/Firewire but still has a floppy so that you can transfer data from your local network or a newer drive to that Mac, then make 800K floppies for the Plus. Otherwise you're going to have to wait and spend $$ trying to build a collection of disks for it.

I picked this up a few days ago. It's running Win98. Just gotta find a pcmcia ethernet card now.

Save yourself the time and get system disks here OP. rescuemyclassicmac.com/

They'll be modern so you won't have to worry about them being corrupted and other shit.

That's what i've settled on. I've got two iMac G3's and a iMac G4. Going to see if i can get a floppy drive for one of them.

Found some 800k floppies on Ebay.

Going to post some of my other junk to keep thread going. Post what you guys have.

>rescuemyclassicmac.com/
Holy shit that's exactly what i was looking for, thank you user!

Most of this crap i got free (the stack of towers). Think i'm going to start stripping them and giving away the empty towers locally if people want them, otherwise i'll be chucking them. I've got that stack, plus two closets full of mostly P4, Athlon and Core 2 Duo machines that are just taking up space.

Got a bunch of these CED's (Capacitance Electronic Disc) as well. They're in pretty rough quality, not even sure if they work because i still need to get a player. They're neat though and i wanted them. Lots of good movies.

Not as vaporwave as this

>posted from my pentium II

Aesthetic.

>using a g3 as your main web browsing machine
The horror.

I can't even stand causal web browsing on mine. It's slow as shit even running classilla with javascript turned off.

I got an SE/30 for $50 on Ebay ages ago. It's recapped now and I use it for Quicktime and MIDI. I lost my most recent photo of it, though. God damn it.

Even my g4 iBook chokes on most browsing. Sup Forums lags a bit, but that is probably because I'm using 4chanx

>Going to see if i can get a floppy drive for one of them.

I don't think any of the USB floppies can write 800K. Could be wrong, but make sure before buying. I have restored numerous classic Macs but I started with a PB G3 with the floppy module. Since that can connect to my local network, it became the machine I used to write floppies for the rest.

>Found some 800k floppies on Ebay.

People debate this but back in the day I had no issue reformatting 1.4MB floppies as 800K. For restoring a classic Mac today I would look for 800K disks for stuff like the System and apps. But for just seeing if something runs you can certainly get away with 1.4MB.

Likewise, 720K PC floppies should reformat to 800K.

Classilla and TenFourFox don't seem all that usable until about the 1ghz G4 mark. My 2.5x2 G5 handles the web well enough.

I've bitched about this in other retro threads: WTF is wrong with the modern web that G3s and slower G4s can't handle it?

It's funny how that"simplicity shootout" commercial by Apple that has the iMac g3 pitted against a Pentium II HP Pavilion, says that the iMac is faster than the Pentium II. When in reality, web browsing on my Pent2 is a heck of a lot easier and faster than my iMac g3.

youtube.com/watch?v=hIrs_AGBIww

Yeah, the ones i found were actually 720k. Also heard about using 1.4MB floppies as 800k, but read that they normally fail pretty quick. I have a hard enough time finding them that i'd rather not trash them.

Browsing on my 700mhz G4 is a real challenge, and using any of my G3's is even worse. Even when i'm just trying to get software to download onto them from websites, a lot of times the sites just won't load properly on either Classilla or TenFourFox to even be able to download anything.

The G3 was faster then the PII. It was more sensitive to compiler optimizations. But it was faster.

I don't still have a PII system, though I do have a P3 system in storage. I'll have to drag it out and see how it compares to the G4 I have on web browsing. Maybe part of the problem lies in the back ports of the Mozilla code base.

>Also heard about using 1.4MB floppies as 800k, but read that they normally fail pretty quick.

I never actually experienced that back in the day, but as long as you can find 720K/800K floppies no point in risking it.

>The Final Frontier poster
>The worst trek movie of all time
good job!

bloat.

And I don't mean that in the "le meme" sense

But actual, measurable, bloat.

What kind of CRT is it and what do you have it connected to?

That's surprising on the 700 MHz G4 because my TiBook 1ghz does pretty well with TenFourFox.

Yeah, i know...

It was $2 at a yard sale though, is a thick wood one that lights up that was from a rental store. And the art is nice. So meh.

The G4 was certainly a lot more capable, and downloading stuff was a lot less of a problem. There were some sites though where the scripts just didn't work right though. For the most part though it worked pretty well.

Youtube wasn't possible though, which was a shame. Would be a neat little kitchen computer.

>flight simulator 98

Is that the one with the joke in the manual about the twin towers before 9/11 happened?

Think that was '95.

Thankfully its followed by the best trek movie of all time
>The Undiscovered Country

A Trinitron tube 17 inch monitor connected to a contemporary PC.

Were those black Dell CRT monitors any good?

Not that particular one. It's not awful, but it's no Trinitron, which is what i'll eventually replace it with.

try vlc or some other streaming player

Yeah, VLC works.

Also, i have previously always downloaded the youtube videos then watched them on VLC. Only after reading your post did i realize you could stream with it.

>mother-of-god.jpg

Day of the rope for web developers when?

Would you be willing to sell and ship the T2000?

Gross. Jealous of that tape player though.

Have a C128 coming in the mail. Asked for it for christmas lol. Already have a SD2IEC, so I should be good to go.

oh man, I've got a few of those games on that shelf, the star trek starfleet academy game plus it's expansion pack, flight sim 98. also got the star trek game generations (based on the film), no one lives forever 1 & 2, UT 99/2k4, and Quake 2/3. plus a few dos games

Not sure if this is considered retro but here is an iBook G3 I picked up off eBay for $30 last year. Unfortunately I don't have the charger anymore and the battery is just shit.

i find it works best when you grab the googlevideo link from a youtube download site. not sure why though.

Not really, got it for free from a friend and plan to keep it.

>CPE 1704 TKS

Digits checked. Retro. And buy an adapter off fleaBay for $10. Shit you can probably get a battery for another $15.

>nice clock ahmed

>whydidntyoustopit.jpg

good luck finding a good player (and especially a good read head/needle)
saw this recently which might help (fixes and expectations)
youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU

bump

>tfw finally found one for sale locally
>tfw it was already sold last week for $20

I just want to type on this thing so bad... I want to flash Linux on it and write Latex on it.

Nice user, comfy as fuck.

A E S T H I C

We did that a lot, they hold up great for exchanging data, but they degrade faster.

Even 1 GHz is shit, my dual-chip Quicksilver couldn't even shitpost in the summer without literally melting its fucking L3 cache off of the CPU card

>my dual-chip Quicksilver couldn't even shitpost in the summer without literally melting its fucking L3 cache off of the CPU card
topkek

Dual G5 is actually a pretty capable machine still, I was amazed it could even play YouTube nicely.

Pics or it didn't melt!

Moisture damage, keeping it dry, over time it might settle down again and be usable, still slightly whining though.

That's a Datasette. Get one off eBay for $30 bucks.

All that shit on the modern web, Sup Forums is totally OK to browse on a 68k Macintosh.

I learnt algorithm on that shit

It's browsable, JS disabled, no captchas also.

>glorious Trinitron CRT
What monitor is that?

Huh ok, but the only moisture it was possibly exposed to was drying laundry about two meters away. Should that be avoided?

Btw it's very usable, the picture is not affected by any means, it's just the quite pop/spark sounds which happen every now and then as it's working that are a bit worrying.

So, you can browse, but you can't post...

Apple M1212 14" Macintosh Color Display

>start menu
ew

I just find it more comfortable to launch and switch between applications with it.

It also has autohide.

>drying laundry in the living room
Are you an idiot?

Make sure to replace both backup batteries under the keyboard, They leaked in mine and destroyed the main baord

Some people don't live in mansions.

what the fuck is this C64 level of arrow keys

The keyboard isn't great and linux support and performance are probably worse than the Jornadas

Dayum

Are you able to post?

This is a known problem.

Issue:
It's 40 fucking years old and you need to move on

>we need to change the web back again so I can browse on my ironic piece of shit because javascript is too mainstream
go full hipster and buy an i7 for you to vnc into so you can pretend it's still relevant

M E M E L E T

remember guys, BBS and IRC circlejerks are still up, ready for you.

No captchas, I never tried Sup Forums pass tough.
Can't really imagine myself actually shitposting from them, it's just more a fun thing.

Took you long enough to show up, did your fap marathon really take that long or did your parents force you to go to a trip with them?