/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9Cd9tJ
mega.nz/
regex.info/exif.cgi
xenserver.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is it better to turn a secondary hdd off after 5 mins inactive or leave it running 24/7

Why do I need a different user agent to use netflix on linux? I have all the right plugins and everything, how does pretending to be a mac make any difference?

it depends on what you're optimizing for. keeping the platters spinning is theoretically better for longevity (the drive will probably fail while it's spinning up or spinning down, so try to avoid those actions), but there's a (probably negligible) energy cost to keeping them spinning. it depends on if you're paying for electricity or generating it from some tightly rationed source.

chrome-stable, not chromium but the actual closed stable release, can access netflix w/o any workarounds.

i also learned recently that they made a nice lite deb for it too. 64 only tho

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9Cd9tJ

So I'm getting these over the span of 5-6 weeks. Should I get the GPU last?

I saw an article about power generation from waves

but wouldn't resisting waves affect the moon's orbit around earth?

Why is mega.nz/ so popular?

I know I've already cucked myself by enabling DRM, but I'd still rather boycott chrome. I got it to work in firefox, which is good enough for me

consider the pc building general (/pcbg/??) if you dont get an answer

>1 year exp unrelated to IT
if ever i get a windows server 2012 certificate will emploeyers still hire me if im 25-26 years old?

>Should I get the GPU last?

Depends if it's on any sort of sale really. If not buy it last.

(Windows 7)

>used ImageMagick to add an extra line of metadata to .png image
pic related: uploaded image to regex.info/exif.cgi , and the added line is visible.

How can I search a folder of images to check which files have the same line of metadata in them?

"Everything" did not list the file when the added string was queried.
I think my best bet might be to write a python script for Launchy (but I do not know exactly how), or search for existing software.

So now that firefox is doo-doo, what's the best browser?

forks of firefox

50gb free

How do I post on Sup Forums?

What's the best fork of firefox though?

For me, it's got to be the McChicken.

Is that it? Thanks.

Install Gentoo

Guys is there any relevant reason to prefer a mac over a windows (design apart)?

mass file sharing
easy to hide links from bots
huge free storage size and large daily u/d limit

personal preference and pretentiousness

I mean is it true that "is better for editing" and why yes/no?

no, same programs
do expensive shoes make you run faster? same plastic frame and cheap materials
t mac user

I run Windows 10 and there are some icons in my notification are that started appearing blank maybe a week ago - they're missing pictures like in pic related. How do I fix them so they show properly?

Do you think the world would be a better place if we all decided to throw away all of our technology and go back to living off the land like we are supposed to do?

as someone living in the city, what land would I get to work it?
or do I have to share a plot with the 1 million other people?

Obviously we tear down the cities, let the land return to its natural state.

Is it dangerous to pull my own tooth? I have a bad toothache and can't really afford dental care right now. Thinking of just getting as drunk as I can and then yanking the fucker out with pliers. Anything else I should watch out for? Should I take some antibiotics after to avoid infection or is that not much of an issue here?

video is flickering on mpchc, it blinks to black for a split second every minute or two
I've been using mpchc for over a year now, and this is the first time I've had this issue, so it's most likely a compatibility issue with this particular mkv file.
the blinks keep happening during the exact same frames though, so is there a fix for this or is the flaw within the mkv file itself

Install Gentoo

are there any kernel configuration guides or should i just toy with my config until im satisfied

I have two spare routerrs, what can i do with them besides range extenders?

*modem routers btw

Can I do a chargeback on purchases I made in person using my credit card? I bought some shit that turned out to be bootleg and want my money back but when I called the credit card company they said they can't do anything about it because I entered and verified my pin during purchase.

Obviously you should clear that up with the seller.

through what site? TECHNOLOGY

My GPU broke and I'm planning to buy a new one, if I switch from nVidia to AMD what do I need to do before I install the new card

what's the difference between raid and sata ?

just watch a video on how to remove something from a PCI slot
or ask a friend to show you in person
pci cards "just fit" in the slot, nothing special about it
also id recommend not getting anything lower than a RX 470

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

I desperately need to access a website, for... um... research! Yes.

Keep getting error 521, but other anons can access it easily

No, I know that, I mean with stuff like drivers

I've lost way too much data because of this damn error message, is there a simple fix for it or are there multiple causes of this same problem? If so how do I toubleshoot?

Is there any possible way you can disable cursor movement with a magic trackpad?

Let me explain: I have an old ass magic trackpad I'm using right now with hackintosh. While it's pretty good for certain gestures, I already have a perfectly good mouse that makes some things more comfortable to use.

So I decided to use both, one of them with each hand. Problem: I can't -only- use the trackpad for gestures. Meaning sometimes I accidentally move the goddamn mouse cursor. I have checked in bettertouchtool and the only thing you can do with that is to lower the sensitivity to really low values, but not 0.

Is there any program that does this shit?

I'm idle @ 4.5gb

Looking at my processes there's barely anything there, nothing out of the norm. I recently upgraded my memory to DDR4 and it's like twice as high.

Is this normal

My boot screen lasts around 10 seconds before it starts loading windows. How do i shorten that time?

that shouldnt be an issue
i remember switching from an old AMD card to nvidia and i just installed the nvidia drivers, no problems

going to try and recover files with test disk and reformat to see if that helps, any input is appreciated

Does anyone here know what a .kk file is?
And possibly how to read it

it's not an error message.
what file system is the drive formatted with?
give more information what that drive is for and what you are trying to do.

format it to a windows known file system or remove it's drive letter if it's a not supported file system and you want to keep it like that.

ok cool thx

I have some games and some other stuff on a hard drive that's getting full (not my main drive). Can I just take everything on there and transfer it to a new hard drive, change the letter to be the same and expect everything to work properly?

What's the difference between XenServer ( xenserver.org/ ) and Citrix XenServer?

Have you checked what Crystal Disk Info has to say about it ?

Depends on your OS, but I assume you have 16 GB of RAM. In which case this is perfectly normal if you're using Windows.

what OS?
Unused RAM is useless, so most OSes cache programs/files you use a lot when it isn't used by anything actively running.

msconfig > boot options > no GUI boot
check bios for "fast boot" options
install an SSD

yes

If your secondary HDD sleeps and you need to access it again, it will freeze the system.

I was thinking of BIOS boot. I changed boot order to go from UEFI boot hard drive to just hard drive and it didnt want to boot. Should i place it 2nd in the order?

What's a good laptop for shit like virtualization?

This particular occasion its not my drive, its formatted as RAW and this message appears when simply trying to open the drive to view the files. I have been told that this time round they didn't try anything different with the drive just plugged it in and it gave this message.

Similar things have happened to me.

its important, i think win8 and above NEED UEFI
check other options, most modern bios do have a "fast boot" option that lets you skip some bios procedures.
if you touch other stuff in the bios at least google what they do before changing options

Weird problem, I'm hoping you guys can help with.

I want to order parts for a computer from the US and use a freight forwarder I have access to. Catch is I can only make a single order (I have a voucher for a free order under $200US shipping cost); as in, a single box. I get boned if I have to pay for shipping, which eats up the savings compared to buying domestically.

>Which vendor (Newegg, Amazon, et al) is cheapest on average?
>Do all vendors place multiple orders into one box?

Some vendors have option to ship all at once (which takes a bit longer) and comes in 1 box

there's no guarantee you only get one box.
if two items are in different warehouses, you'll get two packages.

is it something I can ask them to do if I contact them?

that makes sense. cheers.

my plan is to buy GPU, CPU, RAM, motherboard and SSDs (the shit that gets Australia Tax on it the most and is mostly lightweight) and then buy the PSU and case locally.

What's the process for installing a new GPU?
Do I just yank out the old one, plug in the new one and then update drivers?

ordered 4gb of ram, bios and windows recognise only 2gb but speccy and cpu-z see 4gb. I've reinstalled windows, changed to 64bit, and reflashed bios. what am i doing wrong.

Hm, no fast boot option but now it has black screen after bios and before windows boot. How the hell do i get rid of it? I just worsened the situation.

chyea pretty much

I'd suggest swapping your monitor to use whatever ports are on the motherboard while doing so

yes.
if you change brands (amd, nvidia) use display driver uninstaller before you install the new driver.

post speccy summary

See if Linux recognizes it. No idea what's causing that, just a suggestion.

Depends on the OS. On Linux the easiest procedure was to install the drivers before switching out the GPU. On Windows, you can usually use your new GPU with limited fuctionality (600x800 resolution), so you can install drivers after switching the GPU.

how do i see how much internet my computer got on it

Wow, after i turned off pc and started it again it had super fast boot. Literally 1 second windows boot because i changed options in bios to work on integrated graphics (i dont have dgpu) but then when restarted it took long time again. Not sure whats going on.

settings -> network and internet -> data usage

Yep, confirmed. When i start it, it boots in a second.

>Posting from your ISP, IP range, or country has been blocked due to abuse.

My country was blocked from posting here 3 years ago. Just discovered yesterday that I can now post again here. Can anyone tell me what happened?

Also, what's an obb?

Btw sorry for my poor engles. Im from a spanish country

I have a pretty old laptop, but I want to watch 1080p without sluttering.
So what player should I use?
As of now I am using CCCP with MPC yet playback is slow.

I installed gentoo, but my dhcpcd is
1) not writing a nameserver to resolv.conf
2) not fetching correct IP and broadcast
and I have no idea how to fix it
help Sup Forums

Whats faster, 1 or 2 ram bars? (adding up to same capacity)
Same for ssd:
1 ssd with os and applications on or a second ssd just for applications?
This always bothers me.
(Heres a pic of a pizza I made 3 days ago)

On Windows, how would I go about backing up a certain folder that cannot be moved to cloud for online backup redundancy?

two for dual channel.
SSD doesn't matter where something is on.

Why can't the folder be cloud mirrored? If it's a system folder, mirroring is is not the brightest idea. Work with system images if you want to backup your installed os.

Is it possible to bypass the "5 active threads at a time" limit without using proxies?

ty

LSX or Docker?

I can get two brand new powercolor radeon hd 6870 x2 cards for free. (dual gpu cards)
Is it worth building a system around them? Would it be enough for the new doom in FullHD?
It would be a 4 gpu crossfire setup with insane power consumption. Thought about a 2011 sandy bridge cpu.

You can ask them if they do that or not, explain the situation and they can help you if its possible. Use live chat or phone call.

DOOM doesn't support crossfire/sli.

I'd generally avoid dual gpu setups, the support is mostly lacking or not present at all.

probably be better to just build like a $300 dollar build than do all that stuff honestly, most games don't take advantage of a dual gpu setup let alone 4.

As a useless NEET learning programming how do I convince someone to give me a job with no experience or references? How gud do I need to git, and how do I prove I've done it?

I've done some online courses and found them easy, but I assume that's not worth anything.

Can you cut a segment from an mp3 without reencoding it?

ok, didn't know multi gpu is memetier like that
Just got my boss to buy a 5k$ gaming rig with two pascal titan x's for vr though. Actually he wants to buy two of those rigs.

okay here's another stupid question, how would I go about mirroring a folder?

and no it's not a system file