Fire Tablet 7

What do you guys think about this tablet?
I have a chance to get one for about $12 used and I am really thinking about it.
Is it possible or easy enough to root the tablet and remove all the ads and amazon botnet? Being able to have the Google Play store would also be great.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool-root-t3272695
amazon.com/gp/product/B00TSUGXKE/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_odstab_3a1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=9D0ZWGFQS7YM6H2WXEC6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=e09f2492-5a74-4138-ad68-35c9ae254a6e&pf_rd_i=6669703011
youtube.com/watch?v=uAIBOXzeEk4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I could always wait until the Black Friday sale and get it for $15 brand new (I have a 20 dollars off tablets coupon code)

Unless you're modding it, don't, the app store is awful

Yea I understand, it's amazon shit. I am planning on rooting it, if it's not very hard to do.

Bump

Go for it.

Do you know anything about rooting it?

I bought one for 30 shekels, downgraded the OS to root and installed CM. It's breddi gud for a cheap ass android tablet. At 12 bucks there's no reason not to buy it.

Have one, use it to read manga, access PDFs.

Fucked my first one trying to install CM 12. Amazon replaced it, was able to install CM on the second one. Great device overall, just know that the screen is not the best.

Not the user you quoted, but I followed a couple YouTube vids and it was easily so easy compared to rooting my phone.

Once you root a stock Android image, install Play store, and install Xposed it becomes a decent tablet for video and reading.

My only real issue is the build quality is kinda cheap but whatever

How did you gents do it? Like program wise and shit.

Yea I totally understand it's not gonna be the best tablet with the best fucking specs in the work but for under $20 it's a great buy.

There's a toolkit on XDA. The only thing you need to do is not to update it if/when you get it, and just run the toolkit. Link:

forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool-root-t3272695

Again, be careful. If you f'up, I'd just msg Amazon like I did, and maybe you get a replacement.

It's easy as fuck to get a replacement or refund from Amazon, so I am not worried. What did you say to get a replacement?

Do you think they ship the tablets with the newest version of the Fire OS? Because that is probably what they do I assume.

Also after running the tool what can you do and not do?
Thanks a lot mate.

I just said I was trying to install a ROM and I messed up. They just said that I had to send the old one back, and sent me the new one with 2-day shipping.

I think they ship it with FireOS 5.0. After running the tool, choose what rom you'll use, and read every single detail and/or look at the videos. I messed up when flashing using Flashfire, as i didn't read the order in which the wiping was going.

I just went with CM 12.1, and note, this tablet will extremely likely not be supported on CM 13 and forward.

>1024x600
It's awful. Wouldn't take one for free.

If it ships with 5.0 don't I have to get it to 5.2?

Dude for under $20 who gives a fuck, it's good enough for shit posting.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00TSUGXKE/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_odstab_3a1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=9D0ZWGFQS7YM6H2WXEC6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=e09f2492-5a74-4138-ad68-35c9ae254a6e&pf_rd_i=6669703011

Is it going to drop anymore than this?

is downgrading a must?

Only if you have no standards. Just work 10 more hours at your crappy retail job and get something better.

3 retail store will have it at 33.33 for BF. Bestbuy, staples can't recall 3rd I think walmart. Amazon I think will also have it for same price prob. Thursday.

I have 20 dollars off so I need to get it off of Amazon.

You don't need anything better to shit post and maybe watch some YouTube videos mate, you really fucking don't.

If you want your eyes to go bad sure.

this or the new 50$ nook?

>What do you[...] think[...]?
I think it's shit. Buy a used/recertified 2012 Nook HD 7" instead.

Is it literally that fucking bad?

How is that any better?

1440x900 IPS iPad-tier screen. That's mainly it. What else do you want in a tablet?

Just buy the new one.

I just want something that doesn't lag, and can do anything a tablet can do.

Sure will. Hopefully it goes on sale, because I want to get it as cheap as I can.

>anything a tablet can do
For me, tablets browse the web, display PDFs/eBooks, and watch video. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Watch videos, play music, shit post, watch YouTube or Twitch. Pretty much it, I mean my phone can do all of this (Note 5) but a bigger tablet is better. Even if I barely use it, for under $20 it's a steal and I would still like it to fuck with it.

Nope. IIRC, >5.0 don't have an unlockable bootloader. and cannot have a custom recovery flashed. So, if possible, I'd just don't update it.

it's a slow piece of shit with a terrible display

you couldn't pay me to use it

What do I do if it does come with 5.0?

Did you leave all of the Amazon bloat?

>>Did you leave all of the Amazon bloat?

what does this matter

the display is trash

I owned the 1st gen fire. I upgraded to the Nook HD. Nook HD is 100% better.

Anyway, the only tablets I would recommend today, in order of price are:
Nook HD
Asus Zenpad S8
NVIDIA Shield K1
iPad Mini 2-4

>buying a tablet that comes with a literal virus installed on it

stop supporting this shit!

Oh and Nexus 7 2013

>what does this matter
Think about it, bloat slows it down.

>the display is trash
It's dirt fucking cheap, you can't expect any more from the thing.

>Nook HD
Lol

None of the tablets you mentioned are very good at all.

>Not removing it
You can install CM if you feel like it, or root and remove it all.

>None of the tablets you mentioned are very good at all.
These are all the best tablets in the 7/8" form factor for their respective price ranges.

Why not tell us what your favorite is if you disagree.

>Nook HD
>Nexus 7 2013
It's literally 2017

>Asus Zenpad S8
Not bad but the pricing isn't very good.

>NVIDIA Shield K1
>$200
And these things were house fires.

>iPad Mini 2-4
Not bad but iOS is shit.

There are plenty of better tablets user, and you know it.

Samsung makes some good ones, and so does LG.

>It's literally 2017
Except it's not. Besides, tablet lifecycles have lengthened because manufacturers (other than Apple) weren't previously getting a long enough lifecycle to recoup their R&D.

>pricing isn't very good.
$159 isn't very good? Compared to what?

>house fires
Oh you mean the highest-performance unit in it's class can potentially get warm when you're running demanding applications?

>iOS is shit
It's the only mobile OS capable of running some of the best apps out there such as Korg Gadget, Protools|Control, iMovie, Audiobus, Loopy HD, Moog Model 15, etc.

Lmao

>tfw can't buy Fire tablets in Canada

They aren't available?

>touchwizz

They used to be, but it sold like shit because Amazon Prime Video isn't available in Canada (and it was also before they lowered the price point significantly).

It probably won't come back until Amazon gets rights stuff sorted out in Canada and launch Prime Video and Music services in Canada.

Who cares. It isn't bad compared to all of the other shit and bloated launchers.

>falling for the touchwizz is just the app launcher meme

They really should do all of that mate. Would you be interested in a Fire tablet?

Ok

good argument

Was I supposed to argue? I don't have to nor feel like it, it's not even part of the question that I asked.

Since you said that you can get it for 12 bucks used, then it's fine. And yes, rooting it will make it better but not by much though. My mother and grandmother have gone through a number of these and they seem to be replacing their Fire tablets almost yearly. In fact, my family collectively excluding me and a brother who has no interest in tablets have gone through multiple tablets. I bought an iPad Mini during a good sale in November like 2 years ago, and I haven't had to replace my tablet while my mother and grandmother deal with subpar tablets because they want a robotic voice to read to them about their werewolf husbandos. My grandfather bought himself a tablet too when he saw my iPad, he bought shit and then got him a Fire tablet only because it was so cheap at the time.

Amazon makes shit tech, and honestly, Barnes and Noble seems to be a better company for at least not being so fucking retarded and giving you the Play Store. I'd rather have a nice Samsung or Apple tablet than a terrible Fire tablet. I'll happily pay a little more if I can actually use it for years.

I'll probably get a 7 for a family member, they might not use it anyways.

Will get the HD 8, but just for videos, pdfs, and trying my apps. Will add Google Play to them of course.

I added goggle play to my HD 8.

This is an easy way to get Google Play without a root. Comments even say it works on the newest HD 8.

youtube.com/watch?v=uAIBOXzeEk4